Pattaya Beach rebuilding postponed indefinitely

Rimmer

Pattaya Beach rebuilding postponed indefinitely

n4Slow.jpg

PATTAYA:--Reconstruction of Pattaya Beach has been postponed indefinitely after the city again was unable to procure sand to refill and expand the shoreline.

Deputy Mayor Verawat Khakhay said Sept. 3 that the 429.1 million baht project to build up and widen Pattaya Beach to counter years of erosion was supposed to have been completed in December, but has not even started due to the inability to find 400,000 cu. meters of sand that matches that currently on Pattaya Beach.

The city originally had planned to bring sand from a Rayong estuary to an offshore barge in Pattaya, then use smaller equipment to bring the sand to shore and refill the beach and install supporting frames and breakwaters starting from the Dusit Curve southward.

Objections from Rayong provincial officials resulted in Pattaya not being able to obtain enough sand from that source, so it chose a section off of Koh Khram as a new source. However, that sand was found to not match Pattaya’s own sand well enough and now a new source is needed.

Verawat said the Royal Thai Navy also has objected to removing sand from the island it controls, the region’s main breeding ground for endangered Green and Hawksbill sea turtles.

The sand-shortage issue is not new. Verawat first informed the media about the problem in April, but pledged that a new source would be found by May. Four months later, however, a new source still hasn’t been found.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-beach-rebuilding-postponed-indefinitely-51068#sthash.WYdAunAV.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-0911 footer_n.gif

What is going on Walking Street end of Beach Rd ?

Apart from the "eye-sore" tourists are forced to walk with the traffic unprotected, and even impeded by food vendors blocking their route.

And I hear time and time and time again how important the Pattaya image is. Hilarious !!

The wrong kind of sand....? Sure is - the original stuff I mean. It is very gritty, similar to the kind you need for a good concrete mix. But useless for making sandcastles.

For me the solution is simple. Hire a dredger to pump sand from 400 mtrs offshore back to the shore line, building up the beach and deepening the seabed level further out. The sand that has eroded from the beach has only been dragged and pulled by wave action further out in the bay. it has not "disappeared" altogether. Travelling miles away to transport thousands of cubic meters of sand is madness....but goes with the mentallity here and all things related to planning and construction so no change seen in the near future.

Is there not enough sand coming out of the Sukh Tunnel they could use ?

Apart from the "eye-sore" tourists are forced to walk with the traffic unprotected, and even impeded by food vendors blocking their route.

And I hear time and time and time again how important the Pattaya image is. Hilarious !!

End of Walking st is a disaster zone. The drainage project ( apart from beach restoration project ) has not been worked on for about two weeks The white eye sore trailers, the scattered concrete dividers , the very narrow footpath occupied my motor taxis is one sorry mess indeed. The beach there is a junkyard of decaying sandbags and chunks of concrete.And by the way the photo in the OP is related to the drainage project. ( at Dusit North end )

I see a negative synergistic disaster in the making here: The very large drainage structures/channels at Soi 6 for example are going to create major beach erosion to the South during winter months. Now when this problem is combined with halting new sand transport to beach the seawalls are going to collapse.

The wrong kind of sand....? Sure is - the original stuff I mean. It is very gritty, similar to the kind you need for a good concrete mix. But useless for making sandcastles.

For me the solution is simple. Hire a dredger to pump sand from 400 mtrs offshore back to the shore line, building up the beach and deepening the seabed level further out. The sand that has eroded from the beach has only been dragged and pulled by wave action further out in the bay. it has not "disappeared" altogether. Travelling miles away to transport thousands of cubic meters of sand is madness....but goes with the mentallity here and all things related to planning and construction so no change seen in the near future.

Is there not enough sand coming out of the Sukh Tunnel they could use ?

yes, the sand is just off shore. anyway, no point them replacing the sand until they get those pipes built because without them its just going to get washed out in the rain again

End of Walking st is a disaster zone. The drainage project ( apart from beach restoration project ) has not been worked on for about two weeks The white eye sore trailers, the scattered concrete dividers , the very narrow footpath occupied my motor taxis is one sorry mess indeed. The beach there is a junkyard of decaying sandbags and chunks of concrete.And by the way the photo in the OP is related to the drainage project. ( at Dusit North end )

I see a negative synergistic disaster in the making here: The very large drainage structures/channels at Soi 6 for example are going to create major beach erosion to the South during winter months. Now when this problem is combined with halting new sand transport to beach the seawalls are going to collapse.

During the nearly two years I lived in Pattaya there didn't seem to be a problem with beach erosion. Only since the road was widened for the new walkway project has it happened. Therefore one could guess that when they widened the road they destroyed the drainage system, which fed into very large pipes under the road. I know they are large because I saw them installed.

Now they are building really big drainage system by Soi 6. I hope the pipes extend far out into the sea, or it will cause more problems.

Far better to fix the problem than new pipes would be to repair the old pipes and access into them, and build raised walls along the shore where the locals have put sandbags to try and stop water washing away the sand. Of course that would be contrary to the council intent to stop people relaxing on the walkway.

I also saw normal rain flood Beach Rd by Central, which didn't happen before. The new walkway has been a disaster in many ways.

During the nearly two years I lived in Pattaya there didn't seem to be a problem with beach erosion. Only since the road was widened for the new walkway project has it happened. Therefore one could guess that when they widened the road they destroyed the drainage system, which fed into very large pipes under the road. I know they are large because I saw them installed.

Now they are building really big drainage system by Soi 6. I hope the pipes extend far out into the sea, or it will cause more problems.

Far better to fix the problem than new pipes would be to repair the old pipes and access into them, and build raised walls along the shore where the locals have put sandbags to try and stop water washing away the sand. Of course that would be contrary to the council intent to stop people relaxing on the walkway.

I also saw normal rain flood Beach Rd by Central, which didn't happen before. The new walkway has been a disaster in many ways.

I dont think there ever were any old pipes, as far as I know when it floods its supposed to go out those pipes next to the beer garden. I think whats happened is that more and and more of Pattaya is being concreted and the only place the water can go is down the road and across the beach into the sea, I dont think the new footpath has particularly made it worse, just moved where the water crosses the beach a little but you are right about turning those ugly sand bags into seating.

You would think central is trying to get something happening even if town hall is incapable, their basement will be one of the first to be hit

Edited by phycokiller

I dont think there ever were any old pipes, as far as I know when it floods its supposed to go out those pipes next to the beer garden. I think whats happened is that more and and more of Pattaya is being concreted and the only place the water can go is down the road and across the beach into the sea, I dont think the new footpath has particularly made it worse, just moved where the water crosses the beach a little but you are right about turning those ugly sand bags into seating.

You would think central is trying to get something happening even if town hall is incapable, their basement will be one of the first to be hit

Yes there are some old pipes I just saw last week just South of the Soi 6 drainage project : Separated sections of 1.5 meter diameter concrete drain pipes full of sand.

By the way the beach erosion I referred to above ( South of Soi 6 ) has nothing to do with the rain water drainage which is a separate issue.

This erosion will be from the winter North to South current that .is going to be affected by the iron piling drain structure ,

in the same way the sandbags at North end caused erosion/collapsed seawall in front of Holiday Inn

Edited by morrobay

LOL. Of course there are old pipes- dirty great big ones. I saw them being installed. First year they put in small ones that didn't work, so the next year they replaced them with larger ones. They didn't work either, so the third year they put in really big ones that worked till they made the road wider.

LOL. Of course there are old pipes- dirty great big ones. I saw them being installed. First year they put in small ones that didn't work, so the next year they replaced them with larger ones. They didn't work either, so the third year they put in really big ones that worked till they made the road wider.

going out to sea? where abouts?

the bean counters have figured out the tour groups(mainly Chinese and Korean) only use the pattaya beach as a loading and unloading location for parasailing and... an ashtray...so why bother rebuilding it...sawadee xtra crap

the bean counters have figured out the tour groups(mainly Chinese and Korean) only use the pattaya beach as a loading and unloading location for parasailing and... an ashtray...so why bother rebuilding it...sawadee xtra crap

While it lasts : Yesterday was just the beginning of the strong, wind driven North to South long shore current and the beach is going fast.

I don't think there is any drain, pipe or whatever that can handle the volume of water cascading down the Soi's from 2nd road. Currently the beach is a shocking condition and has been for most of this year. After a storm they used to bring in the front end loaders to quickly do repairs, but not so lately.

The also had big plans to widen the beach, work was supposed to start last December but did not eventuate. In my opinion the most cost effective way to do this would be to use a dredge 365 days a year pumping up the sand. They do this regularly with great success in Australia. It won't happen of course as it would provide very little opportunity for kick backs to officials.

Note the low tide view, this could be the permanent width of the beach with a full time dredge working.

Irrespective the view from my condo is amazing, please check out my web cam here, http://fivestarvagabond.com/pattaya-webcam/

post-213922-0-28368400-1442377958_thumb.

post-213922-0-74110700-1442378033_thumb.

post-213922-0-30836900-1442378119_thumb.

I don't think there is any drain, pipe or whatever that can handle the volume of water cascading down the Soi's from 2nd road. Currently the beach is a shocking condition and has been for most of this year. After a storm they used to bring in the front end loaders to quickly do repairs, but not so lately.

The also had big plans to widen the beach, work was supposed to start last December but did not eventuate. In my opinion the most cost effective way to do this would be to use a dredge 365 days a year pumping up the sand. They do this regularly with great success in Australia. It won't happen of course as it would provide very little opportunity for kick backs to officials.

Note the low tide view, this could be the permanent width of the beach with a full time dredge working.

Irrespective the view from my condo is amazing, please check out my web cam here, http://fivestarvagabond.com/pattaya-webcam/

post-213922-0-52268900-1442378366_thumb.

they know the floods come every year,they knew the problem exsited... yet...3 years ago when the widened beach rd t to accommodate the now insane tour bus traffic...they didn't even have the brains to replace the drain pipe and new grated drain covers with a bigger system while they had the rd dug up...now I see them re routing the light posts which run alongside beach rd..the rumour is the will replace the old pipe ,but the walkway will be narrower...eventually it will be just a 4 lane rd a curb and the beach.....

While it lasts : Yesterday was just the beginning of the strong, wind driven North to South long shore current and the beach is going fast.

And now there is major sand erosion and the beach with gullies from Dusit, North end, to South of Holiday Inn where about 1/2 of width of the beach walkway is completely collapsed. As well as the wall on bayside for distance around 20 meters. Mok 199 can you take/post some photos of this disaster ?. Its right in front of you.

The potato chip construction of this walkway is exposed.

Edited by morrobay

And now there is major sand erosion and the beach with gullies from Dusit, North end, to South of Holiday Inn where about 1/2 of width of the beach walkway is completely collapsed. As well as the wall on bayside for distance around 20 meters. Mok 199 can you take/post some photos of this disaster ?. Its right in front of you.

The potato chip construction of this walkway is exposed.

mother nature .everything was fine until we (HUMANS ) arrived to f#$% everything up,now we pay the piper for over development and greed , all I can do is think,''it could be worse,like wild fires and flooding in the US,or homless and lost like the flow of imagrants in the EU....sawadee so so much crap