Dirty sheets, making me pay for it

fitnesspm

Same here. I just leave as well. Nice to not have to talk to staff on the way out. Sometimes they see me leaving with luggage then i give keys and they say to wait while they check the room.

Not sure if they would restrain me if i refused to wait. Probably not.

I'm not dumb enough to leave a cc on file though. Almost always pay cash.

You're lucky that hotels don't ask those paying cash up front for their stay to leave an additional amount as a deposit, returnable when you check out, to cover incidentals. If hotels did do that you'd lose out every time you left.

You need to get out of your basement more often. Hotels do that quite often, and not just low end ones.

I've stayed at hotels at least 250 nights per year for the past 10+ years and never once had to pay cash up front for anything. They always want a credit card number to swipe for incidentals, but never cash.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a rule, I never check out of any hotel. I just leave the keys in the room and go. They have your credit card number when you check in. They don't need anything more than that. They'll sort it out and if you need a receipt, you can always contact them a few days later and they can email it or fax it to you. And if they try to charge you more than expected, tell your credit card you never agreed to that and 99% of the time they'll reverse the charges. And if all else fails, you could "lose" your credit card too.

Same here. I just leave as well. Nice to not have to talk to staff on the way out. Sometimes they see me leaving with luggage then i give keys and they say to wait while they check the room.

So you are trying to tell us that they don't require a credit card or deposit in cash?

You're lucky that hotels don't ask those paying cash up front for their stay to leave an additional amount as a deposit, returnable when you check out, to cover incidentals. If hotels did do that you'd lose out every time you left.

You need to get out of your basement more often. Hotels do that quite often, and not just low end ones.

I've stayed at hotels at least 250 nights per year for the past 10+ years and never once had to pay cash up front for anything. They always want a credit card number to swipe for incidentals, but never cash.

Neither have I. Well, once last week, but that was an exception.

I'm afraid you've hit the tree but missed the nuanced target I shot at. Your point is noted though. Thanks.

As a rule, I never check out of any hotel. I just leave the keys in the room and go. They have your credit card number when you check in. They don't need anything more than that. They'll sort it out and if you need a receipt, you can always contact them a few days later and they can email it or fax it to you. And if they try to charge you more than expected, tell your credit card you never agreed to that and 99% of the time they'll reverse the charges. And if all else fails, you could "lose" your credit card too.

So you are trying to tell us that they don't require a credit card or deposit in cash?

I am told that hotels which charge by the hour don't require a cc or deposit maybe that's what poster is taking about hence the reason he pays cash

I am told that hotels which charge by the hour don't require a cc or deposit maybe that's what poster is taking about hence the reason he pays cash

i can't remember leaving a deposit for a hotel room, ever...

though they do ask for passport or copy of passport.

the bill is paid either in advance in cash, or at checkout in cash.

not real keen leaving cc number's on file anywhere in asia unless absolutely necessary, just personal preference.

i did get asked for a "towel deposit" at some low end hotel once, that was returned at checkout, but that was real low end place.

if your getting asked for deposits regularly get some new clothes and deodorant...

or maybe you have this confused with a serviced apt or regular rental??

not real keen leaving cc number's on file anywhere in asia unless absolutely necessary, just personal preference.

i did get asked for a "towel deposit" at some low end hotel once, that was returned at checkout, but that was real low end place.

if your getting asked for deposits regularly get some new clothes and deodorant...

They ask for a copy of the passport for Immigration purposes. I'm fine for them copying it, but I would never leave my passport with them. Why would someone ever give up their physical passport?!?!?!?!?

Almost every hotel I have ever stayed at requires a deposit or credit card when checking in. The only exception I can recall is a small resort in Kanchanaburi. It has nothing to do with the persons appearance, its policy at any decent hotel chain. Suggesting that I need some new clothes or deodorant is a pretty ignorant comment. Whether I check in wearing business attire or shorts and a t-shirt, they are still going to ask for a credit card or cash deposit. I never have a problem with this because first I have a credit card, and second I am not paranoid of using a credit card in fear of the hotel trying to rip me off.

I have traveled all over Asia and the US and stayed at hotels for business and pleasure hundreds of times. I stay at reputable hotel chains and I have never had any issue with billing ever.

I have noticed in Thailand that when I am checking in, there is quite regularly a certain ethnic group that always has an issue with checking in and providing a credit card. They are always asked for a large cash deposit up front. This group of people likes to argue publicly anyway so I think they enjoy this process. And for those who want to categorize the kind of places I stay, I have seen this at 3K baht a night places and 8k baht a night places as well.

They ask for a copy of the passport for Immigration purposes. I'm fine for them copying it, but I would never leave my passport with them. Why would someone ever give up their physical passport?!?!?!?!?

Almost every hotel I have ever stayed at requires a deposit or credit card when checking in. The only exception I can recall is a small resort in Kanchanaburi. It has nothing to do with the persons appearance, its policy at any decent hotel chain. Suggesting that I need some new clothes or deodorant is a pretty ignorant comment. Whether I check in wearing business attire or shorts and a t-shirt, they are still going to ask for a credit card or cash deposit. I never have a problem with this because first I have a credit card, and second I am not paranoid of using a credit card in fear of the hotel trying to rip me off.

I have traveled all over Asia and the US and stayed at hotels for business and pleasure hundreds of times. I stay at reputable hotel chains and I have never had any issue with billing ever.

I have noticed in Thailand that when I am checking in, there is quite regularly a certain ethnic group that always has an issue with checking in and providing a credit card. They are always asked for a large cash deposit up front. This group of people likes to argue publicly anyway so I think they enjoy this process. And for those who want to categorize the kind of places I stay, I have seen this at 3K baht a night places and 8k baht a night places as well.

While I generally agree, I have done the pre-paid thing with Agoda a couple and not had to provide my CC on check in.

i have traveled all over the us and asia also hundreds of times for years and never had to pay a deposit or present a credit card.

so what's going on? somethings fishy.

was not aware leaving the passport was for immigration. I thought it was a safeguard against the bill not being paid, as in, if you skip you get reported to the police or immigration so you can't leave the country. leaving the passport is a greay area, sometimes I do it, sometimes I don't, it depends what I think of the place.

one reason to leave the passport is because it's safer at the front desk then it would be hidden in my room!

carrying it around is not an option for me since i'm often in areas that are not all that safe, and there's also a pickpocket issue, or just plan slipping out of my pocket.

may i ask which hotel requires a cash deposit in bkk? or requires a credit card?

Do you offer a cc automatically without being asked? Do you say you prefer to pay cash and dont have a cc and they insist?

Something smells funky here.

Edited by fey

That was exactly my point. You need to be able to recognise sarcasm aimed at Fey's claim.

But some people do not want to leave credit card swipes and prefer to pay cash. Those guests will almost always be asked to leave a cash deposit to cover the hotel in case of damage or incidental charges. Except Fey who always pays cash and just walks out when he feels like it.

i have traveled all over the us and asia also hundreds of times for years and never had to pay a deposit or present a credit card.

so what's going on? somethings fishy.

was not aware leaving the passport was for immigration. I thought it was a safeguard against the bill not being paid, as in, if you skip you get reported to the police or immigration so you can't leave the country. leaving the passport is a greay area, sometimes I do it, sometimes I don't, it depends what I think of the place.

one reason to leave the passport is because it's safer at the front desk then it would be hidden in my room!

carrying it around is not an option for me since i'm often in areas that are not all that safe, and there's also a pickpocket issue, or just plan slipping out of my pocket.

may i ask which hotel requires a cash deposit in bkk? or requires a credit card?

Do you offer a cc automatically without being asked? Do you say you prefer to pay cash and dont have a cc and they insist?

Something smells funky here.

Nothing funky at all here. I book my hotel online through the hotel chain website or through my company's travel website. Either way they require a credit card to reserve a room. Generally that credit card is not charged, but just authorized.

When I arrive at the hotel where I have my reservation they ask for a passport. They take a copy of my passport and give it back to me. Never had a hotel ask to keep my passport EVER. They ask how I will pay for the room or ask for the credit card the reservation was made under. I never pay a deposit in cash. I never offer to pay the room in cash. They authorize my credit card and that's that.

This by the way is the normal procedure people use for traveling on business. The only other exception I can think of (where a CC or deposit is not required) is what Morgandave suggested about Agoda. If the bill is paid in full by Agoda or Hotels.com, they may not ask for the CC info upon check in.

I have heard individuals at several different hotels in BKK checking in next to me that paid the entire room balance up front in cash and were asked for a cash deposit because they failed to produce a credit card. The deposit amount was quite large too. This happened at the JW Marriot (8k baht/night) and the Holiday Inn on Soi 22 (3k baht/night) to name two. It also happened at the Shangri-La in Chiang Mai (7k baht/night). Is that enough evidence for you that I have personally observed from other people?

Your choice to relinquish your passport is your own decision. I would rather have it in my control or in the hotel safe. You said "was not aware leaving the passport was for immigration". Do you read the card they make you sign when you check in? Its immigration paperwork.

If you don't believe me, ask any person you know who travels on business what they do....

But some people do not want to leave credit card swipes and prefer to pay cash. Those guests will almost always be asked to leave a cash deposit to cover the hotel in case of damage or incidental charges. Except Fey who always pays cash and just walks out when he feels like it.

Don't forget the fact that Fey has also left his passport with them (by his own admission) and still has the hotel keys in hand. He is like the Indiana Jones of hotel guests trying to check out.

If I were in a dispute about what I thought was an unfair charge, I would much rather the hotel had my credit card number than my passport, particularly if I had I flight to make.

I never show my passport to Bangkok hotels, but I do let them swipe & block my credit card.

I find it difficult to believe there are hotels that will let you stay without anything to guarantee payment.

If I were in a dispute about what I thought was an unfair charge, I would much rather the hotel had my credit card number than my passport, particularly if I had I flight to make.

I never show my passport to Bangkok hotels, but I do let them swipe & block my credit card.

I find it difficult to believe there are hotels that will let you stay without anything to guarantee payment.

If you stay at a place enough and they know you a lot of the time they don't bother with any payment guarantee

My regular hotel in BKK hasn't swiped my credit card to block an amount in years all I do now is send the day manager an SMS with the arrival and departure dates and that's it, pay them check out day

But the thing you never do any where is given them your PP, a copy by all means, but never hand your PP over

Edited by Soutpeel

If you stay at a place enough and they know you a lot of the time they don't bother with any payment guarantee

My regular hotel in BKK hasn't swiped my credit card to block an amount in years all I do now is send the day manager an SMS with the arrival and departure dates and that's it, pay them check out day

But the thing you never do any where is given them your PP, a copy by all means, but never hand your PP over

Where do you stay regularly in Bangkok? My regular hotels always ask for my credit card.

That said, I thought the claim was that one could stay at hundreds of hotels a year all over the world and never have to show a credit card or make a cash deposit. Just stay as long as you like and pay cash when you leave.

Where do you stay regularly in Bangkok? My regular hotels always ask for my credit card.

That said, I thought the claim was that one could stay at hundreds of hotels a year all over the world and never have to show a credit card or make a cash deposit. Just stay as long as you like and pay cash when you leave.

Try "the atlanta" in bkk

Try "the atlanta" in bkk

Looked at the website and it does not look like a place that would interest me.

In any event, "the atlanta" is not hundreds of hotels all over the world.

I've been in a hotel since Monday night, was in a different hotel Saturday & Sunday and will be in a different hotel this Saturday.

All of them require a credit card at check in.

That was exactly my point. You need to be able to recognise sarcasm aimed at Fey's claim.

Sarcasm? Even if it was, you seem to rely on your self-styled sense of sarcasm day in day out on TVF.

You know what they say about sarcasm, and those who use it at the exclusion of other means of expression.

Edited by 55Jay

So now hotels "almost always" ask for a cash deposit.

Yesterday, Fey (and cash paying hotel hooligans like him) were just lucky hotels hadn't discovered this way to foil the baddies.

Yesterday, Fey (and cash paying hotel hooligans like him) were just lucky hotels hadn't discovered this way to foil the baddies.

"You're lucky that hotels don't ask those paying cash up front for their stay to leave an additional amount as a deposit, returnable when you check out, to cover incidentals. If hotels did do that you'd lose out every time you left."

As I already pointed out to someone else on this thread, that comment I made was sarcasm in response to Fey's claim that he never left credit card details (therefore he always pays cash) and the noise that you heard was it flying right over your head.

"You're lucky that hotels don't ask those paying cash up front for their stay to leave an additional amount as a deposit, returnable when you check out, to cover incidentals. If hotels did do that you'd lose out every time you left."

As I already pointed out to someone else on this thread, that comment I made was sarcasm in response to Fey's claim that he never left credit card details (therefore he always pays cash) and the noise that you heard was it flying right over your head.

That was me and yes, there was a sound alright.

The sound of your false sense of superior intellect and another boorish, sarcastic insult escaping your clenched cheeks, like muffled flatulence. Fffftttttt. ermm.gif