Dirty sheets, making me pay for it

fitnesspm

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a former hotel GM of 3 premises I do understand the issues with sheets, staining and damage. Here in Thailand the worst stains are temporary or permanent tattoos. Suntan lotion is a bugger as well and hair dye is nearly impossible to get out from white sheets. My instruction to my house keeper was that the sheets must be photographed,sent to the laundry,and brought to me to see. If I decided that they were irrecoverable then the guest would be charged.

Are they charging you or the sheets or the cost of cleaning them?

If its the cost of cleaning I would just pay it and put it up to experience.

One time in Pattaya i got blood on a sheet. They left the sheet on the floor in my room. Told me it would cost 500 baht for them to get the blood out as extra cost,or I clean myself. So i went to 7/11 got a stain remover went back to the room applied it and blood was gone. Called the maid in showed her the nonstained sheets all was ok. I was theer for a few days so had more time.

Sort of odd you have a flight to catch but have time to chat on TV about this.

Please don't tell me the blood came from screwing virgins, that really would be stretching things a tad.....

Stop guest in the lobby and say they are charging you and it's a scam. Then go get on your flight.

NOT good advice.

Check out defamation laws in Thailand while you are waiting for the Police (called by the Hotel Management) to arrive.

The fact (?) that you are telling the truth is no defence against Defamation in Thailand.

Patrick

As a rule, I never check out of any hotel. I just leave the keys in the room and go. They have your credit card number when you check in. They don't need anything more than that. They'll sort it out and if you need a receipt, you can always contact them a few days later and they can email it or fax it to you. And if they try to charge you more than expected, tell your credit card you never agreed to that and 99% of the time they'll reverse the charges. And if all else fails, you could "lose" your credit card too.

Walking without paying will get you involved with the BiB, probably unwise.

Have you tried talking to the manager? At what point did they say they were going to charge as you've not actually checked out yet?

yes, but there is no manager until Monday...

I am thinking about getting the police involved cause i have photos but i doubt they will help... still an option i'm looking at!

You took photo's of the dirty sheets before and after use ?

what sort of hotel does not have a manager on duty ?

This exact one!!

My 2 neighbors have hotels, nice ones, and you wouldn't believe the mess some people make in the rooms, bed etc. it's disgusting! I can understand people getting annoyed. What I can't understand is why accept a room with already dirtied sheets, didn't it bother you ? Whatever, I'd pay and leave and not risk a problem that would make you regret it!

So this will be the next jet-ski scam equivalent!

If a companion or yourself had an incident, pay extra for cleaning, a few hundred baht.

Otherwise it sounds like a shake down and the normal result, they let you go and try it on someone else.

(Or a cleaner got hit for the mess a past guest left that she overlooked and is trying to pass it on.)

Had a similar problem myself, shaving foam that could be rinsed out.

Perhaps a complaint on Tripadvisor or similar if you booked with them.

Edited by jacko45k

I have been in hotels and found the sheet had a stain on it. Instead of staying quiet I phoned reception and told them. They sent housekeeping and changed the sheet. If you leave a problem then the hotel is not going to know you didnt do it. Most hotels do not employ psychics

Walking without paying will get you involved with the BiB, probably unwise.

Have you tried talking to the manager? At what point did they say they were going to charge as you've not actually checked out yet?

yes, but there is no manager until Monday...

I am thinking about getting the police involved cause i have photos but i doubt they will help... still an option i'm looking at!

dude man up on this , .you slept on dirty sheets and now you want the fine hard working RTP to come save you some money on sheet cleaning ? they are to busy catching killers and other bad guys . sheeeese..............

I would publish a video on youtube with you holding up the dirty sheet in front of the hotel manager. And give out the name of the hotel and manager . If the manager do not get the hint , distribute the links to Tripadvisor and other travel sites . The whole world will know and you'll get your sweet revenge.

Edited by balo

Was there any mention of how much money they wanted to charge him??

I surmise if a women stays in the room and has her period and blood stains the sheets and or the mattress, are they going to levy a surcharge?????

If you are eating in bed and spill a drink on the sheets or drop some food on the sheets and stain the sheets does that justify a surcharge when wear and tear in any hotel room is part of what you are PAYING FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I would refuse to pay if the amount was some stupid rip off amount like 1000 baht or more...but 100 baht is not worth arguing over.

Then post on the internet warning others not to book or stay at that hotel because they are cheating guests out of their money for something no other hotel ever charges people for......but maybe only happens in Thailand....lol

Cheers

Hotel wanted 500 from me for new sheets because of some stain that I don't remember what from. I took them to laundry for "special cleaning", extra 50 baht and spotless.

As a rule, I never check out of any hotel. I just leave the keys in the room and go. They have your credit card number when you check in. They don't need anything more than that. They'll sort it out and if you need a receipt, you can always contact them a few days later and they can email it or fax it to you. And if they try to charge you more than expected, tell your credit card you never agreed to that and 99% of the time they'll reverse the charges. And if all else fails, you could "lose" your credit card too.

You sound like a great guest. Do you expect them to be psychic and know you are gone? You find this method to be more effective than simply checking out? I would rather talk to the hotel upon checkout to make sure there are no issues then. Talking to the credit card company is pretty cowardly.

I've spent the better part of the past 10 years, 250-300 nights per year, doing those, all for business travel. Most places have express checkout and key cards so it's easy to check out by just leaving everything in the room and leaving. It's much better than standing around a hotel lobby for half hour when you have a meeting or a plane to catch waiting for a dumb front desk clerk to pick their nose or text their friends while trying to figure out how to use the cash register or hotel computer systems and a line of 5 other people standing in front of you also waiting to check out. It always works out but sometimes when the receipt comes in the email or fax and there are some other fabricated charges, often something from the mini bar, it's easy to just send an email to the credit card company and they take care of it. It's all about time and convenience. When I am traveling, or even when I am not, I don't usually have time to stand around in lines or to make phone calls to wait on hold for an hour only to finally talk to people who rarely have that perfect combination of speaking an intelligible language as well as having an IQ higher than a rabbit.

I've spent the better part of the past 10 years, 250-300 nights per year, doing those, all for business travel. Most places have express checkout and key cards so it's easy to check out by just leaving everything in the room and leaving. It's much better than standing around a hotel lobby for half hour when you have a meeting or a plane to catch waiting for a dumb front desk clerk to pick their nose or text their friends while trying to figure out how to use the cash register or hotel computer systems and a line of 5 other people standing in front of you also waiting to check out. It always works out but sometimes when the receipt comes in the email or fax and there are some other fabricated charges, often something from the mini bar, it's easy to just send an email to the credit card company and they take care of it. It's all about time and convenience. When I am traveling, or even when I am not, I don't usually have time to stand around in lines or to make phone calls to wait on hold for an hour only to finally talk to people who rarely have that perfect combination of speaking an intelligible language as well as having an IQ higher than a rabbit.

What you are saying here makes a lot more sense. Not the impression I got from your original post. If you travel that much for business, then I guess you aren't staying in the same class of hotel as the OP and rarely come across issues like you mentioned.

If you have and extra charge like mini bar for instance how do you get that adjusted? I can see credit card companies cancelling a charge altogether, but they can alter the amount charged as well?

LOL yeah, definitely, no dirty sheets at westins and hiltons! Yes, the credit card company usually calls and works it out. It's only happened something like 2-3 times in many years, but still better their time wasted than mine, and they got it resolved. And I suppose if the hotel was really adamant about it, especially if it was some shitty hotel serving shit covered sheets and they were intent on scamming, I'd just report the credit card lost/stolen. Fight fire with fire and see who wins. I wouldn't put up with that shit, literally and figuratively, and nor would I waste my time on it either. My time is every bit as valuable, if not more, than the money involved.

Same here. I just leave as well. Nice to not have to talk to staff on the way out. Sometimes they see me leaving with luggage then i give keys and they say to wait while they check the room.

Not sure if they would restrain me if i refused to wait. Probably not.

I'm not dumb enough to leave a cc on file though. Almost always pay cash.

Edited by fey

I would publish a video on youtube with you holding up the dirty sheet in front of the hotel manager. And give out the name of the hotel and manager . If the manager do not get the hint , distribute the links to Tripadvisor and other travel sites . The whole world will know and you'll get your sweet revenge.

He could one of the pillow cases on his head as well and pretend he is in the clan as well WOW all this kerfuffel over Thb 500 hate to see how his bar fine negotiations went :rolleyes:

Same here. I just leave as well. Nice to not have to talk to staff on the way out. Sometimes they see me leaving with luggage then i give keys and they say to wait while they check the room.

You're lucky that hotels don't ask those paying cash up front for their stay to leave an additional amount as a deposit, returnable when you check out, to cover incidentals. If hotels did do that you'd lose out every time you left.

You're lucky that hotels don't ask those paying cash up front for their stay to leave an additional amount as a deposit, returnable when you check out, to cover incidentals. If hotels did do that you'd lose out every time you left.

You need to get out of your basement more often. Hotels do that quite often, and not just low end ones.