Visa Exempt Entry

It is relatively easy to satisfy the 20,000 baht and ticket out of Thailand requirements for a visa exempt entry. Not so easy to prove (our at least satisfy the immigration officer) that you are not working in Thailand.

I am certain that waving my Australian tax return in the immigration officer's face would be of no benefit. But what about a certified translation of the tax return?

Any opinions, ideas etc.

It's impossible to prove you're not working. As you say at best you can only satisfy the IO that you aren't. Just carry whatever work/employment documentation you might think relevant and, if required, you can argue your case.

Unless you have 6 or more entries in the last year they will probably leave you alone.

Edited by elviajero

It's impossible to prove you're not working. As you say at best you can only satisfy the IO that you aren't. Just carry whatever work/employment documentation you might think relevant and, if required, you can argue your case.

Unless you have 6 or more entries in the last year they will probably leave you alone.

Could you please elaborate on the comment about the 6 entries, please.

I visit LOS every 6 weeks, and stay for 29 days on each visit using visa exemption. However, I have done several side trips to adjoining countries in recent 29-days visits resulting in yet more entries in my passport. I am retired and do not work in LOS (or anywhere). I do not have a Thai wife but I do own a condo in LOS.

The last few entries into LOS have been a little worrying. The Immigration officers at Swampy have looked at my passport and I could see them mentally throwing their hands up in horror. They have questioned me about why I am wanting to enter, whether I have a Thai wife etc.

Are there now rules about the number of visits that can be made under visa exempt rules? Indeed, are there any rules about the number of days that can be spent in LOS in a calendar year (or a 365 day period)?

Apologies if this has been gone over recently but I find it difficult to understand, let alone keep up to speed with, the immigration rules.

There is no rule or regulation that limits the number of visa exempt entries or the amount of time spent on them over a period of time that can be used to deny entry.

Denial of entry can only be done under section 12 of the immigration act. The most common denials are for lack of financial proof (20k baht in cash is best to have) and suspicion of working here.

At airports they have to go through procedures to deny entry. At border crossings it often just done verbally without going through the procedures and doing a stamp for denial of entry showing the reason under section 12..

• Like 1

A visa run company said yesterday on news section, topic about closing cambodian border, that their customer would be accepted if they were complying with Thai immigration, which was "not over 90 days per year on visa exempt"

Edited by Kitsune

Could you please elaborate on the comment about the 6 entries, please.

Are there now rules about the number of visits that can be made under visa exempt rules? Indeed, are there any rules about the number of days that can be spent in LOS in a calendar year (or a 365 day period)?

"Are there now rules about the number of visits that can be made under visa exempt rules? Indeed, are there any rules about the number of days that can be spent in LOS in a calendar year (or a 365 day period)?"

​No there haven't been any changes to visa exempt entry regulations. You are allowed multiple entries and if arriving at an airport you'll get a 30 day stay.

"Could you please elaborate on the comment about the 6 entries, please."

​The issue with visa exempt entry is not about the number of entries but what someones does when in the country. Many illegal workers use visa exempt entry and if someone enters a lot, and especially back to back, they come under suspicion of working. Immigration have a system that flags anyone with 6 or more entries (allegedly 6 entries of more than 10 day stays within a year). It's just a tool for IO's to question the person entering about the reason for the visits. You've already experienced the questions first hand so nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

A visa run company said yesterday on news section, topic about closing cambodian border, that their customer would be accepted if they were complying with Thai immigration, which was "not over 90 days per year on visa exempt"

Unless a regulation change has been made, that has not yet officially been announced, Thai Immigration has no 90 day per year limit. IMO it's likely be something local to selected land borders in reaction to the bombing blame game.

Unless a regulation change has been made, that has not yet officially been announced, Thai Immigration has no 90 day per year limit. IMO it's likely be something local to selected land borders in reaction to the bombing blame game.

Thing is Elvi, no one is following regulation anymore in term of visas.

Every immigration border/office/officer has its own interpretation.

What is true on Cambodian border is not on Lao border,and even between Cambodian crossing points rules are different.

The only way to make anything sure is to strike a deal with your favorite immigration office like this visa company did, if not they could just close down as one day they would be accepted and not the next.

It is typical immigration practice: they shake the tree and wait for the phone call.

There is no rule or regulation that limits the number of visa exempt entries etc.

​No there haven't been any changes to visa exempt entry regulations. You are allowed multiple entries and if arriving at an airport you'll get a 30 day stay. Etc

Thank you both for your replies.

• Like 1