If You Could Buy Any Pickup Right Now What Would It Be?

FruitPudding

Here's an very well written comparison of top-spec 4-door pickups - and the first of it's kind featuring the latest 2015 models from each brand:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/388419/ute-comparison-ford-ranger-v-holden-colorado-v-isuzu-d-max-v-mazda-bt-50-v-mitsubishi-triton-v-nissan-navara-v-toyota-hilux-v-volkswagen-amarok-2/

For those too lazy to even skip to the end, the finishing order looks like this:

1. Ford Ranger (169 points)

2. Volkswagen Amarok (156 points)

3. Mazda BT-50 (130 points)

4. Nissan Navara NP300 (111 points)

5. Toyota Hilux Revo (100 points)

6. Isuzu D-Max (80 points)

7. Mitsubishi Triton (77 points)

8. Chev Colorado (41 points)

I stand by my original reply tongue.png

Ford F150, but because it's not available in TH, it would have to be the Ranger Wildtrak.

From Australia....not Thai vehicles.

Just a group of guys saying they like this or that.

Not much of a great comparison. I kinda think of this survey as a TV one. Lol

The only truck with significant differences to the Thai model is the Navara NP300 - Aussie versions get rear coil springs (leaf springs here), and a newer design 2.3L diesel engine (uprated old version 2.5L here). Being that it's middle of the pack, it doesn't upset the order much. Outside of that, the only other things you'll find different are features like GPS (missing and/or different in Thai models), and lane keeping assist (which needs properly marked roads to work).

But yeah, you're right - it's just a bunch of guys banging on about pickup trucks...... But, guys that get paid to do so, and also have a large audience that respects their opinion enough to keep coming back for more. I don't think anyone posting on TV has the same credentials tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an very well written comparison of top-spec 4-door pickups - and the first of it's kind featuring the latest 2015 models from each brand:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/388419/ute-comparison-ford-ranger-v-holden-colorado-v-isuzu-d-max-v-mazda-bt-50-v-mitsubishi-triton-v-nissan-navara-v-toyota-hilux-v-volkswagen-amarok-2/

For those too lazy to even skip to the end, the finishing order looks like this:

Ford F150, but because it's not available in TH, it would have to be the Ranger Wildtrak.

I'm surprised that the Triton comes second to last...

Cheapest of the bunch by far but not missing out on the equipment.

Good motor, even if not the most powerful.

"All judges were impressed by the refinement, general quietness and clever gearshifts of the Triton."

Best fuel millage at 8.2l/100

Road handling, however, seems pretty bad, any new triton owner to share their experience?

"Curt felt strongly about the drive experience of the Triton, which “has no compliance and would be pretty terribly to live with” while suffering from inconsistent steering at speed. “I would never subject my family to this car,” he said in reference its ride.

Mike concurred: “It feels like an old ute, constantly asking a lot of the driver.” I found the Triton was far more impressive at lower speeds, with a nice amount of steering feedback and response, and a good turning circle, too."

Interior was judged the worse, but I found it almost as good as the navara and clearly better than the revo or dmax.

I'm surprised that the Triton comes second to last...

Cheapest of the bunch by far but not missing out on the equipment.

Good motor, even if not the most powerful.

"All judges were impressed by the refinement, general quietness and clever gearshifts of the Triton."

Best fuel millage at 8.2l/100

Road handling, however, seems pretty bad, any new triton owner to share their experience?

"Curt felt strongly about the drive experience of the Triton, which “has no compliance and would be pretty terribly to live with” while suffering from inconsistent steering at speed. “I would never subject my family to this car,” he said in reference its ride.

Mike concurred: “It feels like an old ute, constantly asking a lot of the driver.” I found the Triton was far more impressive at lower speeds, with a nice amount of steering feedback and response, and a good turning circle, too."

Interior was judged the worse, but I found it almost as good as the navara and clearly better than the revo or dmax.

I think the overarching fact here that shouldn't be overlooked is: they're all good trucks - no lemons here.

And that means, these types of comparisons need to split hairs at times in order to establish the ranking order. The Mitsubishi Triton is still a decent truck (and much improved over the old model), but loses the hair splitting game more than it wins it.

From my own perspective, haven driven them all except the Amarok, they can be broadly placed into 3 categories:

1. Trucks that still feel a bit too much like trucks (Colorado, D-Max)

2. Trucks that are clearly more refined than an average truck (Triton, Navara, Revo)

3. Trucks that don't really feel like trucks at all (Ranger, BT-50)

Edited by IMHO

Has anyone seen any stats how sales numbers compare? Even though people on here seem not to like the new Revo, from traveling around the country, my sense is the Revo sells very well. Same for the new Fortuner.

Toyota have this data available:

http://www.toyota.co.th/en/sale-volume.php

But it combines PPV & Pickups into the same category, and it also only reflects actual deliveries, not bookings.

Yes, Toyota sells well - that's not a reflection of the product substance though, but more the brand's reputation and proliferation of dealers. Another good example of that is the BT-50 - it's always a relatively poor seller, which does not reflect it's product substance at all.

Edited by IMHO

They all should be Marked. Pool Maintenance ,Air Con ,Builder, it's hard to guess Whoes in the Drive.

Saw a brand new (red plated) 2-door extended-cab Ranger with a great looking, dropside, Aussie-style 'artisans' tray belting up the Pattaya railroad track slip road yesterday. Had fat tires on as well. A very practical Isaan pig farmer type ride maybe?

They all should be Marked. Pool Maintenance ,Air Con ,Builder, it's hard to guess Whoes in the Drive.

Saw a brand new (red plated) 2-door extended-cab Ranger with a great looking, dropside, Aussie-style 'artisans' tray belting up the Pattaya railroad track slip road yesterday. Had fat tires on as well. A very practical Isaan pig farmer type ride maybe?

Are you sure it was an extended cab? There's a couple of variants of single cabs with alloy trays, that use the Everest's chassis and coil spring rear end - the 4WD version even has the Everest's Terrain Command System... If only it had the Everest/XLT/Wildtrak's SYNC2 infotainment system too...

Are you sure it was an extended cab? There's a couple of variants of single cabs with alloy trays, that use the Everest's chassis and coil spring rear end - the 4WD version even has the Everest's Terrain Command System... If only it had the Everest/XLT/Wildtrak's SYNC2 infotainment system too...

I was trying to get in front of him for a good gander but the youngest stepdaughter and her laundry were about to fly out the back of my truck so I backed off. I got about 10' behind him in the next lane and defo a 2-door with the extra quarter window so what they called the 'Open Cab' on the first T6/PX issue (not sure if the labeling has changed for the recent makeover).

post-35874-0-03044600-1445048544_thumb.j

Same cab as this but dark metallic, silver tray and nice, fat wheels.

Why does it matter who is driving it ?

. So I can tell friend from Tradesman when looking out the window Friends have Cars mainly

Do you have a lot of friends and tradesman visiting all driving the same pickup ?

Can anyone tell easily the difference of any Vehicle these days.Imagine trying to hail a Cab if it had no sign n fancy paint.

Not sure about your analogy regarding a cab without a sign and body colour,as it wouldn't make it a cab in the first place.

I do understand your point though, and agree, that many different manufacturers are making their

cars with much similarity to each other.

I think it boils down to spying on each others designs so they don't get left behind and end up designing pretty much the same style cars, especially with the Japanese car companies.

The Japs have always been practicing this strategy, by originally copying the European designs, but now with such fierce competition, they are copying each other.

Mazda should've just stuck their badge on Ford's styling rather than making that ugly thing and Mitsu need to find a nicer source to copy for the next Triton front end.

...and what was it that you drove again with such individual, attractive styling?

Edited by giddyup

Bought a new Revo last month, probably not as nice as the Ranger, but it's ok

Would love to read 'your' report on it...The pros and cons...thumbsup.gif

I'm not quite as well versed in cars as you but a couple of things. Just my ill considered opinion!!

As far as I'm concerned the navigation system is cr@p, it is dreadfully hard to work out how to use it. I would also say that the stereo is ugly, poorly designed and hard to use. The colour inside of the seats is ordinary to say the least,

Fuel economy Is much better and but, to me the ride seems a lot firmer and more uncomfortable that my Vigo which was seven years old which admittedly didn't have satnav.

More than a few times I've wondered why I changed, although the girls from Soi Buakhao seem to like itbiggrin.png

Mazda should've just stuck their badge on Ford's styling rather than making that ugly thing and Mitsu need to find a nicer source to copy for the next Triton front end.

...and what was it that you drove again with such individual, attractive styling?

Still waiting......

I'm not quite as well versed in cars as you but a couple of things. Just my ill considered opinion!!

As far as I'm concerned the navigation system is cr@p, it is dreadfully hard to work out how to use it. I would also say that the stereo is ugly, poorly designed and hard to use. The colour inside of the seats is ordinary to say the least,

Fuel economy Is much better and but, to me the ride seems a lot firmer and more uncomfortable that my Vigo which was seven years old which admittedly didn't have satnav.

More than a few times I've wondered why I changed, although the girls from Soi Buakhao seem to like itbiggrin.png

Don't feel too bad. I have a new Isuzu and the GPS leaves a LOT to be desired. The map really stinks and is missing a LOT of roads as well as having poor navigation. I did email Isuzu and asked them how they could build a really nice truck and put such a crappy GPS in it. They did answer and told me they were investigating and they would do whatever they could to make me satisfied. It's a shame to have a built in GPS and have my trusty Garmin sitting on the dash.

Don't feel too bad. I have a new Isuzu and the GPS leaves a LOT to be desired. The map really stinks and is missing a LOT of roads as well as having poor navigation. I did email Isuzu and asked them how they could build a really nice truck and put such a crappy GPS in it. They did answer and told me they were investigating and they would do whatever they could to make me satisfied. It's a shame to have a built in GPS and have my trusty Garmin sitting on the dash.

The GPS in my Triton isn't any better, a few times it has me literally going in circles, telling me to do a U turn when I know that's going to be opposite to where I want to go.

I bought a chev x cab. 660k new. Its an LTZ version and has two airbags, 7"touch screen audio that i can stream my phone to so i can listen to internet radio, nicer interior than standard, 6 speed 2.5l that gets 900klm to a tank around town, its the same power than my old 3.0 hilux, limited slip diff, has 20,000klm service intervals, parking sensors and more. I put trailblazr 18" wheels and tyres on it and better shocks and it looks and handles great, way better than my hilux. Perfectly reliable and much better value than the isuzu where you get nothing in the same spec pickup (5 speed, less powerful, no lsd,one airbag etc)

Add the fact it has no resale value i have a truck for life hahaha.

Yes... they stopped fitting the Kenwood unit about one year after introduction of the New D-Max. Big mistake I think. The Kenwood unit works like Garmin ... I think it's great ... no complaints

I bought a chev x cab. 660k new. Its an LTZ version and has two airbags, 7"touch screen audio that i can stream my phone to so i can listen to internet radio, nicer interior than standard, 6 speed 2.5l that gets 900klm to a tank around town, its the same power than my old 3.0 hilux, limited slip diff, has 20,000klm service intervals, parking sensors and more. I put trailblazr 18" wheels and tyres on it and better shocks and it looks and handles great, way better than my hilux. Perfectly reliable and much better value than the isuzu where you get nothing in the same spec pickup (5 speed, less powerful, no lsd,one airbag etc)

Add the fact it has no resale value i have a truck for life hahaha.

Folk still ride around in manual gear boxes.

Has anyone seen any stats how sales numbers compare? Even though people on here seem not to like the new Revo, from traveling around the country, my sense is the Revo sells very well. Same for the new Fortuner.

Numbers from august :

pickup_aug15.jpg

Edited by pistachios

Also found this interesting table on the same site.

table_dmax.jpg

The ranger may be top of the class, but only in its 3.2 version. The 2.2l AT seems quite bad value considering its either the overpriced wild track at 965k or the XLT at 869k with a lot of options and equipment missing.