Prayut risks derision at the United Nations

webfact

I take The Nation's point and don't necessarily disagree, however the last sentence misses reality;

"Refusal to tolerate opposition or dissent is a hallmark of military rule. It has no place in a society that wishes to embody the ideal of government of the people, for the people, by the people."

Thailand IS under military rule, wielding a stick, to try to force a milling rabble of truculent, corrupt, self-serving career politicians to reform.

A stick is the only thing they respond to. Reason and nice civil democratic votes don't work for them because they are corrupt and self-serving!

A bit of tough love is called for.

The military has a longer and more sinister track record of corruption. Easy to see why few people trust them to eradicate corruption in another segment of society.

A totally corrupt military wiping out corruption in the rest of the country before handing over to democracy is better than what Thailand has ever had.

If all the general's horses and all the general's men raped and pillaged and filled their pockets while eradicating corruption and elite-serving charters in the rest of society, I would say Humpty would get back together quite adequately.

Indeed, its far from perfect, but at least now some people get convicted for corruption. I rather have 1 side going after corruption and getting a few then everyone getting off free.

During the PTP time they went after Democrat corruption, and got a few (happy they did) and now the army goes after the PTP and they are getting a few (also happy). Now if in the future they go after corrupt army officials I would be even more happy.

But all of this is better as everyone getting a free pass just like the YL amnesty wanted.

Going after corrupt Army officials clap2.gifcheesy.gif Just imaging all those generals scarpering off down to Suratthani to hide in the temple for a few months. laugh.png

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I take The Nation's point and don't necessarily disagree, however the last sentence misses reality;

"Refusal to tolerate opposition or dissent is a hallmark of military rule. It has no place in a society that wishes to embody the ideal of government of the people, for the people, by the people."

Thailand IS under military rule, wielding a stick, to try to force a milling rabble of truculent, corrupt, self-serving career politicians to reform.

A stick is the only thing they respond to. Reason and nice civil democratic votes don't work for them because they are corrupt and self-serving!

The military has a longer and more sinister track record of corruption. Easy to see why few people trust them to eradicate corruption in another segment of society.

They have the tanks & M16's though.

Some countries seem to just be better off with a thug in charge, and like that recent article said, are just not ready for democracy (which seems to be obvious in Thailand).

The timing makes me wonder. Was arresting (with maximum publicity resulting) a Nation reporter just ahead of the Generalissimo's day on stage just simply a demonstration of military incompetence and insensitivity or is someone trying a subtle bit of sabotage? Either way, the first three questions should be about the reporter, the next three about people trafficking and then the final three about illegal fishing and the vanishing Phuket trawler.

That's what happen when you have absolute power and surrounded by yes men. Absolute power made him invincible and intolerable to people who does not agree to him. In such a make believe world, he really has no sense of reality and has a disconnect to the outside world. His first visit to UN will not be a pleasant trip that even his proganda ministry will find difficult to spin. What going to happen while he is away will be watch with much anxiety.

"Refusal to tolerate opposition or dissent ... It has no place in a society that wishes to embody the ideal of government of the people, for the people, by the people."

Neither is daily street protests like before the coup.

I agree Prayut is a buffoon though. He ranks right up there w/ Bush & Obama.

He'll fit right in.

If I'm able to work out who were the cabal responsible for the street protests followed by the coup, then so should you be. Doesn't take much brain power.

I've glanced at this headline a couple-three times today.

I keep seeing "Prayut risks detention at the United Nations".

I ain't red nor yellow & something had to be done about their squabbles, but "He Who Must Be Obeyed", is a buffoon of the highest order.

"Refusal to tolerate opposition or dissent ... It has no place in a society that wishes to embody the ideal of government of the people, for the people, by the people."

He'll fit right in.

If I'm able to work out who were the cabal responsible for the street protests followed by the coup, then so should you be. Doesn't take much brain power.

Quite.It's all very well for The Nation to have buyer's remorse now but it was one of the cheerleaders for the unholy alliance of Democrats, provincial thugs,generals, feudal overlords and the useful idiots in the Sino Thai middle class - all of whom conspired to crush Thailand's democratic aspirations.

The last government was flawed and deserved castigation for its ill considered umbrella amnesty proposals.But no entirely sane person would deny what we have now is indescribably worse - and critically - entirely lacking in legitimacy.

I've glanced at this headline a couple-three times today.

I keep seeing "Prayut risks detention at the United Nations".

I ain't red nor yellow & something had to be done about their squabbles, but "He Who Must Be Obeyed", is a buffoon of the highest order.

I am pro junta but Prayut certainly is a PR disaster and not likable at all. I certainly don't support all the actions of the junta.

When I think of all the countries in the world that are represented at the UN, such as half of Africa, parts of South America, parts of the Middle East with all of their dictators, absolute rulers, countries that invade others such as the USA and the UK, France, the UN itself and more I take a long look at them and wonder why the General is wasting his time going there.

All they ever do is talk and little else. If just one country on the Security Council turns in a veto then it is game over. It started as a great idea and took over from the League of Nations as the worlds protector and what a crap job they have made of it so far.

He'll fit right in.

Quite.It's all very well for The Nation to have buyer's remorse now but it was one of the cheerleaders for the unholy alliance of Democrats, provincial thugs,generals, feudal overlords and the useful idiots in the Sino Thai middle class - all of whom conspired to crush Thailand's democratic aspirations.

The last government was flawed and deserved castigation for its ill considered umbrella amnesty proposals.But no entirely sane person would deny what we have now is indescribably worse - and critically - entirely lacking in legitimacy.

Regardless of the merits of you last comments, you lower the credibility by insisting any view other then yours in insane. I'm sure it's not your intention but it displays immense insecurity. Try just putting the actual comment and argument forward - you might get more agreeing with you than you think.

Legitimacy of government to Western people may mean different things. Here, once a government has received the highest approval it legitimate. Like it or not, this is how it is.

When I think of all the countries in the world that are represented at the UN, such as half of Africa, parts of South America, parts of the Middle East with all of their dictators, absolute rulers, countries that invade others such as the USA and the UK, France, the UN itself and more I take a long look at them and wonder why the General is wasting his time going there.

All they ever do is talk and little else. If just one country on the Security Council turns in a veto then it is game over. It started as a great idea and took over from the League of Nations as the worlds protector and what a crap job they have made of it so far.

It's a political brokerage for favors, pay offs, trade offs, and patronage.

They employ masses of very overly qualified people, with smatterings of ethnic and sexual mixes and reverse discrimination to ensure they can claim equality, and deliver very little in reality.

I know several people in various UN segments. Senior people are usually PhD's producing vast amounts of nice academic reports. Lower positions are filled by people from less developed countries, and those who only have Masters. All tell me stories of corruption and inept bureaucrats. They join for life - good salaries, good pensions, good benefits, travel, secondment to their own university etc

Complete farce.

A totally corrupt military wiping out corruption in the rest of the country before handing over to democracy is better than what Thailand has ever had.

If all the general's horses and all the general's men raped and pillaged and filled their pockets while eradicating corruption and elite-serving charters in the rest of society, I would say Humpty would get back together quite adequately.

Indeed, its far from perfect, but at least now some people get convicted for corruption. I rather have 1 side going after corruption and getting a few then everyone getting off free.

During the PTP time they went after Democrat corruption, and got a few (happy they did) and now the army goes after the PTP and they are getting a few (also happy). Now if in the future they go after corrupt army officials I would be even more happy.

But all of this is better as everyone getting a free pass just like the YL amnesty wanted.

I just see this as window dressing. No real progress is made. At least under the previous administration the people had a vote and hence the power to choose their leaders. One might not have liked who they chose (and I for one have rarely seen less competent people in a government) but Thailand had a chance to evolve, one way or another.

They have the tanks & M16's though.

Some countries seem to just be better off with a thug in charge, and like that recent article said, are just not ready for democracy (which seems to be obvious in Thailand).

But they're ready for one man rule??

I still support the Junta and the General. He reluctantly stepped in because he had no choice. I remember he invited all the protagonists to a meeting to seek agreement and they all refused to compromise. His answer was to seize power to attempt to salvage some peace in the country. And it worked. The demonstrations stopped and people were able to go about their lives. Prior governments run by politicians were interested in simply feeding at the trough and getting re-elected. The General is trying to change Thailand without destroying its culture or becoming like the West- which so many of us escaped from because we couldn't tolerate it any more.

This is a complicated and difficult process. When he answers questions- he looks and sounds irritated. Namely, because the press asks him things that show their ignorance or he has already answered the same question over and over. He is frustrated because as a military person- he can make things happen quickly but as a Prime Minister- he knows it takes time and he does not have much time to make the needed changes.

Whether he gets a good reception at the United Nations is irrelevant as those countries that keep harping at Thailand regarding so called Democracy are the same countries that need to get their own houses in order.Americans are becoming poorer by the year and Europeans are being over run by migrants. A recent poll in the United States indicated that 30% of Americans would support a military take over of America. So much for Democracy. Thailand will solve its problems one way or the other- the Thai way- and there is nothing you and I can say that will influence it one iota.

The Nation pleaded for this. Now it turns into something they don't like I suggest they complain to their MP.

I still support the Junta and the General. He reluctantly stepped in because he had no choice. I remember he invited all the protagonists to a meeting to seek agreement and they all refused to compromise. His answer was to seize power to attempt to salvage some peace in the country. And it worked. The demonstrations stopped and people were able to go about their lives. Prior governments run by politicians were interested in simply feeding at the trough and getting re-elected. The General is trying to change Thailand without destroying its culture or becoming like the West- which so many of us escaped from because we couldn't tolerate it any more.

This is a complicated and difficult process. When he answers questions- he looks and sounds irritated. Namely, because the press asks him things that show their ignorance or he has already answered the same question over and over. He is frustrated because as a military person- he can make things happen quickly but as a Prime Minister- he knows it takes time and he does not have much time to make the needed changes.

Whether he gets a good reception at the United Nations is irrelevant as those countries that keep harping at Thailand regarding so called Democracy are the same countries that need to get their own houses in order.Americans are becoming poorer by the year and Europeans are being over run by migrants. A recent poll in the United States indicated that 30% of Americans would support a military take over of America. So much for Democracy. Thailand will solve its problems one way or the other- the Thai way- and there is nothing you and I can say that will influence it one iota.

He had a choice. The armed forces vote too.

He'll fit right in.

Quite.

Been around 15 years & I'm still a "guest".

All I know is civil war was looming (which might have been a final solution).

Current buffoon is no better than those before him.

Just no more street protests & such.

SOMETHING had to be done.

I ain't taking sides AT ALL!

Just saying it's a smidgen better than the brink of civil war.

I'm just a guest.

EDIT: I finally decided I'm anti-yellow.

Those weirdos kept me out of the airport for a bit.

I have no love for ANY government, I just despise utter chaos, which the current "Thug that be" seems to have quelled....for a bit.

Edited by jaywalker

He'll fit right in.

Daily street protests have no place in a democracy? You don't get out much, do you? I can't think of an established democracy that hasn't gone through periods of daily protests, and yet they remain established democracies.

I also can't think of an established democracy that co-exists with a military that stages coups with impunity. It isn't protests that keep toppling elected governments in Thailand.

Do you actually expect the military to end the corruption that has made its generals rich?

Do you also actually expect the military to hand over real democracy, the kind with the military firmly controlled by elected leaders, to the people?

No Democracy, no freedom of speech and no rights. I feel sorry for the Thai people who can not express there feeling towards Thailand,s future! Napolean was probably his hero. A little man with big dreams but do you know what happened to his French reign. Nothing but French people that loved there government rebelled and won!

Edited by Nobb

Nation newspaper, you have come up with this bit of writing. Now, if you was a red-shirt television channel or red newspaper, well, you'd be closed down. But you're not red though. You're in with the yellow-shirts. And that's why you're allowed to get away with this.

So, one rule for the Reds, and another for the Yellows. Thai government, you've got to do it, close down this yellow-shirt newspaper. This bit of writing IS against the government. Why let them get away with it, when the reds are being clamped down ?

Once you have disposed of the Kleenex and washed your hands, can you explain to us how you are privy enough to the inner workings of Thailand to state what you have written as fact and not your own personal opinion?

I am not privy to the inner workings of the Thai government- but having been associated with Thailand for 50 years and able to converse in Thai with a wide spectrum of the Thai population- all walks of life I have a pretty good idea of how things work and how people feel.

Thailand's problems are complex and will not be solved by listening to anyone in the West regarding Democracy and how it works. The way Democracy works in the West now is alien to the way it should work based upon Western traditions and how I saw it growing up in America. Thailand does not need the type of Western Democracy that now exists. It will develop its own brand or not and it will be based upon the wishes and desires of the Thai people. No Thai that I have spoken with wants constant street demonstrations; blatant corruption or rule by a civilian megalomaniac. The General is not perfect but he is the best choice for now.

Once you have disposed of the Kleenex and washed your hands, can you explain to us how you are privy enough to the inner workings of Thailand to state what you have written as fact and not your own personal opinion?

"A recent poll in the United States indicated that 30% of Americans would support a military take over of America." What poll? When? Facts like yours have less than no meaning when one does not supply the basis, a citation.

I am not privy to the inner workings of the Thai government- but having been associated with Thailand for 50 years and able to converse in Thai with a wide spectrum of the Thai population- all walks of life I have a pretty good idea of how things work and how people feel.

Thailand's problems are complex and will not be solved by listening to anyone in the West regarding Democracy and how it works. The way Democracy works in the West now is alien to the way it should work based upon Western traditions and how I saw it growing up in America. Thailand does not need the type of Western Democracy that now exists. It will develop its own brand or not and it will be based upon the wishes and desires of the Thai people. No Thai that I have spoken with wants constant street demonstrations; blatant corruption or rule by a civilian megalomaniac. The General is not perfect but he is the best choice for now.

I'm curious, how many of the Thai's you've associated with for 50 years have lived outside the Bangkok bubble?

I have been married 3 times- all to Thais- One from Bangkok; one from Chiang Mai ; and One from Nong Khai.- I would say that pretty well covers a large portion of Thailand since I have traveled and lived in all those areas and interacted with people in those areas. Those who do support the Red Shirt clique can't come up with another choice except an exiled megalomaniac who will be forgotten as the years roll on .

Edited by Thaidream

If you can openly write an article like this one and not get 7 days AA the situation can't be all bad! whistling.gif

Front page of the BP reporting Pravit, one of the Nation's senior reporters just been hauled in for this 'attitude adjustment' again. Given Prayuth's stating 'there's a limit to his forgiveness' in this article, I would be very concerned if I were working on any newspaper right now. Really, some of you frogs still sitting in the warm water waiting for the boil dry.png