English teaching needs a bottom-up approach: Thai editorial

webfact

EDITORIAL
English teaching needs a bottom-up approach

The Nation

Only teachers and students can forge sustainable progress for Thailand

BANGKOK: -- For a government seeking to boost students' proficiency in English, one particular statistic underlines the daunting scale of the mission.

Half of all English teachers in Thailand failed the national English-language test in 2007, scoring under 50 per cent. That appalling fact represents the main obstacle to the goal of improving the learning of English in more than 15,000 schools nationwide.

Not a single measure launched by previous governments has effectively tackled the problem. Instead we witness only the routine of each incoming education minister launching a "desperate" policy to help students with their English. True to form, the current incumbent, Dapong Ratanasuwan, has sought help from the University of Cambridge in England to design a programme to improve our students' English communication skills. The ministry also wants to develop a standard test in English proficiency for the students.

The plan has worrying similarities to the many discouraging efforts of previous years.

In 2012 the Yingluck Shinawatra administration instructed all educational institutes to establish a weekly time slot in which students practised speaking English. The policy duly made headlines, but after the initial excitement died down, nothing more was heard - and certainly not better English from the youngsters.

Before that, there was a plan to "import" native English speakers to teach in schools, with talk of granting them special visas. It proved to be yet another passing whim.

The latest initiative is in danger of heading down the same well-beaten path to nowhere.

The heart of the problem is our simplistic top-down approach whereby each new government starts afresh, scrapping previous initiatives in favour of its own. But what we need instead is a bottom-up approach that will bring about the sustainable change required to turn matters around in the long term. Politicians must also bear in mind that the problem is not a lack of strategy, but discontinuity in its application. So far, no education plan has survived beyond a given government's tenure.

Another inherent challenge is to find ways of boosting the level of English proficiency in rural areas, where students have less access to the language through the Internet, music, movies and videos. English learning must extend beyond the classroom into the daily lives of all children.

Meanwhile both teachers and students can be encouraged to make greater use of the wealth of new learning aids for writing, reading and speaking available via the Web. Gone are the days when learning English required a serious investment of cash. Now, students have resources like Thailand Knowledge Park, which recently introduced an online library that "loans out" e-books, audio books, newspapers and magazines for free. In addition, there is plenty of teaching material on offer from international organisations such as the British Council.

In this digital and more democratic era, the impetus for improving English education begins with students and teachers.

The authorities can aid this effort by funnelling more of the education budget into improving Internet access for students and teachers. The idea is not to implement yet another top-down plan, but to come up with creative initiatives that harness new possibilities to benefit all students across the country.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/English-teaching-needs-a-bottom-up-approach-30268874.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-16

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More of the same. There's no fast solution to the failing educating system. If one insists on taking out English: Many teachers need to be trained to become teachers. Too many only seem to have the qualification of being a native speaker. There are decent trainers around in the Kingdom. Not too many perhaps but still. Why not use them to organise training sessions. I've seen one Khajit Foythong doing a course. He could bring in more than basic stuff and train new trainers. Yet I have the impression that the policy makers don't want to move at the level of the fieldworkers. Still there is the place to be. Get out of the ivory towers and go look around what is really happening. There is talent around. Spot it and use it.

I went for an interview at a 'prestigious' university not so long ago. The lady said she was very impressed with my CV and I was just what she was looking for. When I told her my expected salary (which really wasn't high) she balked and said "We can find someone for less than that, you know?"

And that's the moral of the story. Schools would love to employ the right candidates but are simply not willing to pay the extra. They'd rather pay a few thousand less a month and continue with crappy teachers and high turn around.

The parents really need to start complaining about the money they pay and the very little they get in return. Parents should be enraged to see directors driving Mercs to school and not f****** wying them .

What educate the masses?

Not a good idea they'll start to see how they are exploited and start protesting

Bottoms up are the policies needed, nothing wrong with a good smack of the arse for those question asking smart Alec students who have the audacity to ask questions and expect answers from their teachers in school

Who are these ''expert'' who might actually be subversive elements who are trying to implement a programme where they are trying to motivate these students to both think and to start asking questions of their teachers to actually learn from any information if actually given?

Goodness me the next step will be thinking independently if these reactionary ideas are put into both some teachers heads as well as the more radical students thus they are given their heads up to act and venture forth into the 21st century

Haircut boy!!

What is on your head is far more important that what is in it.

plate2.png

Edited by arfurcrown

There needs to be a totalitarian dictatorship in one area of Thailand. Education. Hire one from Singapore not Cambridge. One does not need to be a brain trust. Rote learning over and over again learn 100 English words and when that is done learn another 100. Over and over again speak English. Forget the grammar lessons. Speak and understand. Speak with the mouth and understand with computer games in English. Forbid anyone who can't speak and understand at least 200 words in English from teaching.

It is basic. Teach with rote learning until the basics are taught. India and the Philippines get all the outsourced English help lines both countries could supply English speaking teachers for Thai prices.

This is Asia not America. Cheap English teachers are available from native English speakers in Asia.

The lack of English skills came home to me when I was in Bang Krathum hospital, Phitsanulok province, after a car accident. Even the doctor had trouble communicating in English! The records clerk spoke better English.

I personally think the big problem here, and always has been, that Thailand is a very introverted country politically and socially so the English learned by most people is for use within Thailand's borders. At which point the whole idea of learning the language properly falls apart.

The lack of English skills came home to me when I was in Bang Krathum hospital, Phitsanulok province, after a car accident. Even the doctor had trouble communicating in English! The records clerk spoke better English.

So then you thought, I know, I'll speak to him in Thai, afterall we are in Thailand.

It might help if the immigration department allowed volunteers to help instead of telling them that they could lose their retirement visas. I was the only farang in our little village for a long time, I would have welcomed the opportunity to chat with kids in English.

It might help if the immigration department allowed volunteers to help instead of telling them that they could lose their retirement visas. I was the only farang in our little village for a long time, I would have welcomed the opportunity to chat with kids in English.

You were in fear of losing your retirement visa even if you volunteered to teach the kids English without your receiving any kind of compensation?

Edited by MaxYakov

Great to finally read the basic truth come out. There are many solutions once we acknowledge that most teachers simply cannot speak English. Hiring univ of Cambridge is a waste of money. don't just pass off the responsibility to that bunch of chuckleheads.

The problem with the Thai education is not enough resources are available, you cannot expect teachers with degrees in literature coming to Thai for 900USD a month when they can get 12 grand in Japan , H.K or at home, in Thai everyone is underpaid and under rated , until a mind set of better education is available the education system will remain stagnant , one direction that could be adopted is to cut back on military spending and divert the money to Education.coffee1.gif

The problem with the Thai education is not enough resources are available, you cannot expect teachers with degrees in literature coming to Thai for 900USD a month when they can get 12 grand in Japan , H.K or at home, in Thai everyone is underpaid and under rated , until a mind set of better education is available the education system will remain stagnant , one direction that could be adopted is to cut back on military spending and divert the money to Education.coffee1.gif

Nonsense. There are native English teachers available from India and the Philippines at Thai wages - no problem. Thailand spends a huge amount on education. "For all Thailand’s education problems the one thing that has not been missing is funding. Thailand spends a huge amount on education, equal to 20 per cent of the national budget." http://asiancorrespondent.com/132313/will-thai-juntas-education-ministry-purge-help-raise-teaching-standards/

Best to know what you are talking about before you post.

The money is there. MOE has plenty. Thailand has one of the highest per student spending ratios in the world. The problem is that almost all of that money gets siphoned off by corrupt MOE officials and school administrators, so that nothing is left for teacher pay, student resources, and facilities improvement.

The money is there. MOE has plenty. Thailand has one of the highest per student spending ratios in the world. The problem is that almost all of that money gets siphoned off by corrupt MOE officials and school administrators, so that nothing is left for teacher pay, student resources, and facilities improvement.

Ya, stupid stuff like buying the brother of the Principal's text books and nazi uniforms for sport days and Thai dancing courses.

Why not put some english-language soap-series on Thai tv. Now my wife is watching the Korean and Japanese soaps. (Her english is sound though).

The only way to get Thai interested in English is making it fun for them to watch/learn and they all love to watch soapseries.

You cannot teach English if the Students are not allowed to ask questions. First thing is to teach Children to ask questions. Questions ask by the students is the first step in the learning process. BUT those that ask questions are knocked down as quickly as they stand up. So SAME SAME. NO DIFFERENT.

Oh, by the way, this is not the first time this topic has been brought up.

Enjoy English Teaching. The spoof video says it all...

Edited by toybits

Another re-hash of the same old story that gets hauled out regularly and printed as if it's some sort of revelation but, as ever, nothing will happen.,

Amen +1 !!!

I grow SO weary of this issue. EVERYONE knows what is needed to fix it, NOBODY does the right thing.

post-119784-0-50975500-1442368667_thumb.

Thai workers have a good reputation around the world as being hard working. However, it is their lack of English language skills which lets them down. As an example, the Maori language was dying in New Zealand until in the early 1980s the 'Te Kohanga Reo' scheme was introduced. This literally means 'language nest'. It had been noticed that the older people were still communicating in Maori and that it was rubbing off on the kids and so the programme was born. It had a major effect on the regeneration of the language.

In the same way, I, as a retired farang, would be prepared to help Thai kids if the Immigration Department could turn a blind eye.

Thai workers have a good reputation around the world as being hard working. However, it is their lack of English language skills which lets them down. As an example, the Maori language was dying in New Zealand until in the early 1980s the 'Te Kohanga Reo' scheme was introduced. This literally means 'language nest'. It had been noticed that the older people were still communicating in Maori and that it was rubbing off on the kids and so the programme was born. It had a major effect on the regeneration of the language.

In the same way, I, as a retired farang, would be prepared to help Thai kids if the Immigration Department could turn a blind eye.

Going by your post, you appear to be a good candidate to teach English - FAR better than many I know currently working in the field.

Have you thought about volunteering? I believe there is a relaxed attitude in this regard. I volunteered several years teaching English at The Father Ray Foundation. I bet you could find something similar wherever you are.

Best regards.

Nonsense. There are native English teachers available from India and the Philippines at Thai wages - no problem. Thailand spends a huge amount on education. "For all Thailand’s education problems the one thing that has not been missing is funding. Thailand spends a huge amount on education, equal to 20 per cent of the national budget." http://asiancorrespondent.com/132313/will-thai-juntas-education-ministry-purge-help-raise-teaching-standards/

And the standards of those "native" speaking teachers from India and Philippines, where English is not the native nor first language is part of the problem.

Indian accents vary massively dependent on which state they're from. India has many many native languages but English isn't one of them. Filipinos speak with a strong accent, use very Americanized English and are not native English speakers either.

You should practice what you preach to others - preferably before you post.

The problem is NOTHING To do with foreign Native speaking English Teachers. The Thai English teachers have a poor standard of English and of course the Thai education system.... Well thats another story!

Edited by kingalfred

A few of my neighbours have asked me to help there kids speak English. I have refused on the basis I cant do anything here that maybe considered work. I would no way have charged them either.

Edited by bim

but you left out that the budget is not spent on teaching the students but disappears elsewhere. The english teachers they currently use can barely speak english, our daughter brings her english homework to study and when I look at it nearly all the words she has been told to study are in fact not words at all but a jumble of letters. How can someone that cannot understand let alone put together a sentence in english teach others, they hire the cheapest possible teachers so they can pocket as much of the budget as possible, actually teaching the students does not come into it. If you are going to quote budgets at least be honest about where most of it goes because it is not going into teaching

I banned Thai TV in the house... Even got rid of True

My kids now watch and understand English far better as they watch Power Puff Girls and all the English Speaking channels I get on Netflix

They find it funny to see a Thai show now and I asked my eldest... do you miss Thai TV... she said NO!... its stupid

I found that amusing as I rid the house of that Thai junk because I found it stupid and now my kids agree... smile.png

Edited by thhMan