Medical Checkup For Thai At 30 Baht

bina

can anyone tell me what the 30 baht thing includes?

anon (thai boyfriend) will be coming back for three weeks; can he get medical stuff done, like teeth? blood tests, vaccines that need to be updated? etc? he's been out of the country for 4 yrs as foreign worker and has no real insurance here in israel so i thought he could do his '10,000' mile checkup as much as possible here (he's bannork, bad gums, no medical sense)...

any ideas? do thais keep vaccine schedule cards? (last shots? etc)

i'm talking just a basic 'vetting'... obviously back in israel he will have to do a medical for the visa thing but i know they wont accept a checkup from thailand anyway...

his gums are the main problem and its super expensive in israel, also teeth cleaning etc... so thought he could do it back at home (korat) muu baan...

can he stock up on his ventolin inhalors w/o prescription?? we steal my kid's inhalor and then get a new one for him (son) but the kibbutz clinic is getting irritated about my kid 'losing' his inhalors...and anon is pretty asmathic (allergic asthma)... also, can a family doctor in thailand precribe buticort type inhalors? i know htats what he needs w/o even go to an allergy doc... its seasonal with the olive trees like many of us here

also, is chlortimeton (allergy tabs), loratadine etc available or does he also need prescription (here we need prescription for practically everything)

thanx

bina

Teeth can be done with 30 Baht gold card (so I heard). It covers a lot of things but I'm not so sure about medical check ups and vaccines. My wife has some booklet that lists what you can get treated under 30 Baht medical scheme so I'll ask her later.

Does your Thai BF already have a gold card? If not, it may take a while to get it issued (that is if they will now that the administration that initiated it is ousted, though the medical scheme itself will most likely stay).

Inhalers can be prescribed and obtained under 30 Baht medical scheme too, as long as the hospital designated under the program in the area of your Thai BF's place of residence (or address on the Tabien Baan in his case) stocks it. They'll probably only give you enough for how much he needs for 4 months.

Edited by Nordlys

he thinks he has a gold card somewhere but "maybe it was in his pouch that fell out of the taxi one time or maybe its at his mother's house or maybe...." well, u get the picture. but he claims that its not a problem anyway... mai ben rai...

But I would like to know whats included so IF he has the card THEN he can do what has to be done w/o slithering out of it... show me one male that likes to do a blood test....

i'd like to know also what vaccines he's had and what boosters he needs (tetanus); hepatitis a,b etc polio, etc since we do have outbreaks here of some things like chickenpox for instance since in adults its awful to have (on kibbutz exposed to lots of children and infants)

fat chance of finding any medical records huh?! all this is neccessary as he must eventually take out some private medical insurance until he gets visa/residency worked out and becomes eligable for social medical care like the rest of us, and the insurance people always ask about conditions and things

we are a welfare state in the medical services but some people get more welfare then others :o( depending on how loud u shout.

a relavent list would help (adult male oriented things; dont need to know about gyno, birth stuff)

thanx-- even in thai would be ok (would like to see it in english to understand though)

bina and anon

http://www.nhso.go.th/NHSOFront/SelectView...000000000000021

This link gives you info in Thai on gold card. It also explains how to get a gold card issued and how to get it reissued when you lost it.

http://www.nhso.go.th/NHSOFront/SelectView...000000000000023

And this link supposedly tells what benefit you get under Baht 30 medical scheme.

My wife said you can get medical check-up with gold card, but I wouldn't expect they do a through examination under 30 Baht thing.

I have dual citizenships so I have both Thai ID card and the gold card. I usually go to Bumrungrad for annual medical check-ups or when in sickness but also to the Chula Hospital every four months only to get very expensive synthetic hormone (that I have to keep using for the rest of my life) under 30 Baht medical scheme which would otherwise cost me nearly 17,000 Baht (for four months use). Once I went to one of the clinics designated under the scheme (they refer me to Chula if it's a complicated medical issue they can't handle there) when I had a prolonged flue and the doctor there didn't ask any questions or even touched to examine me but bothered asking why I have a gold card (because my Thai is rusty and I have full non-Thai name).

Edited by Nordlys

thanx nordlys will check out the card site on friday evening when he comes home for weekend.

well, i guess that if he has the card, he will just do what he can with teeth, and get any meds and vaccine boosters he needs and we'll do the rest here when we have the money.....

bina

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.nhso.go.th/NHSOFront/SelectView...000000000000021

This link gives you info in Thai on gold card. It also explains how to get a gold card issued and how to get it reissued when you lost it.

http://www.nhso.go.th/NHSOFront/SelectView...000000000000023

And this link supposedly tells what benefit you get under Baht 30 medical scheme.

Hi,

is this Gold Card something that any Thai can obtain? If so, why don't they ... I guess the answers can be found at the links provided but they are in Thai. I have posted questions regarding the social/health security aspects for Thais before somewhere and the replies I got gave me the impression that the ordinary, low income Thai isn't covered in any way, shape or form but has to rely solely on his/her family when in need.

As an example, I have been told that Thais cursed by HIV/AID's are not given any kind of government support/medical treatment what so ever but are simply left to die. Or pay 5K THB a month for stopping medication. Surely this can not be true! :o

Reason I am posting again is that I am/was planning to care for some Thais by providing them with a health insurance and then this Gold Card "possibility" popped up and threw me of my path. :D

Please enlighten me,

Maldoror