Policed called to my wifes family home about farang living here

We live up North East. Right beside the Police station. We came back from town today my wifes mother said the police called in. Ask me to go the station. Gave them a copy of my passport a copy of my entry slip. A copy of my wifes Id.

Ive been here now a month living. we use to just visit from Phuket but we moved here while waiting for my wifes visa.

Is it normal they call and ask for these details?

It is happening everywhere.

The police have been told to check the whereabouts of all Farangs living in their area.

In my area immigration are now putting retirement extension applications 'under consideration' pending a house visit.

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

Two simple questions; Is this practice applied only in some Isaan states and are Tourist Visa holders are not affected? Right?

Not just provinces in the northeastern region; the junta puritan backlash is having a clampdown on a certain type of tourism, know what I mean? Right?

Two simple questions; Is this practice applied only in some Isaan states and are Tourist Visa holders are not affected? Right?

This law is not just applied in Isaan. Tourist visa holders should also report to the local police if living in a private residence.

• Like 1

One of our neighbours is a policeman and I asked him if I should report my presence at the police station.

He replied with good humour "No- we are much too busy catching bad people and do not have time to list and count the good guys" !

So have not reported and have (so far) have not had a formal visit!

(South Thailand)

• Like 1

This law is not just applied in Isaan. Tourist visa holders should also report to the local police if living in a private residence.

That's right. However, most don't bother and since they don't do 90 day reporting anyway and may only ever travel to Thailand once, there is rarely if ever a problem with that.

That's right. However, most don't bother and since they don't do 90 day reporting anyway and may only ever travel to Thailand once, there is rarely if ever a problem with that.

You're right that people needn't bother but it's got nothing to do with 90 day reporting.

I've asked this once before, but I don't think there was ever a clear answer. My husband and I are both on the condo lease, but only I live here. He lives and works elsewhere and comes here to visit a couple of times a year. Does the landlord need to report him every time he shows up or is he covered because he's a resident on the lease? We turned in copies of both of our passports when we moved here in January.

It would be just my luck for the police to drop by while he's here and us be up the creek without a paddle because some form wasn't filled out.

I've asked this once before, but I don't think there was ever a clear answer. My husband and I are both on the condo lease, but only I live here. He lives and works elsewhere and comes here to visit a couple of times a year. Does the landlord need to report him every time he shows up or is he covered because he's a resident on the lease? We turned in copies of both of our passports when we moved here in January.

It would be just my luck for the police to drop by while he's here and us be up the creek without a paddle because some form wasn't filled out.

I think you are talking about the TM30 form which needs to be submitted to immigration. That's different to reporting your address to the police which you don't need to worry about.

If your husband uses your address as his registered address (address known by immigration) then they wouldn't need to report (TM30) every time.

I think you are talking about the TM30 form which needs to be submitted to immigration. That's different to reporting your address to the police which you don't need to worry about.

If your husband uses your address as his registered address (address known by immigration) then they wouldn't need to report (TM30) every time.

Evertime he leaves and stays at least overnight and then returns a new TM 30 technical must be submitted.

• Like 1

not the visa holder but the owner of the house
  • Like 1

Evertime he leaves and stays at least overnight and then returns a new TM 30 technical must be submitted.

Unless he permanently changes his address immigration will not want another TM30.

The only report required for temporarily staying elsewhere is a TM28 to the local police which is not enforced. Immigration only need to know about permanent moves.

..... and SWMBO does yours every time you come back from Chiang Mai ? clap2.gif

not the visa holder but the owner of the house

The foreigner reports their address in Thailand to immigration on the TM6 arrival card. When they arrive at the private residence the house-master/owner/possessor should inform immigration using TM30. Technically, but don't worry about it, the foreigner should report his arrival/address to the nearest police station.

You're right that people needn't bother but it's got nothing to do with 90 day reporting.

It kind of does because the point I was trying to make is that most people who have been caught out are the ones who have to do 90 day reporting. That's the whole purpose - to report where you are staying every 90 days. Immigration has your address and if they notice that you also haven't separately registered using the TM28 or 30 or whatever the number is, that's how they catch you.

Tourists only stay in THailand temporarily. Many move around and they have no fixed address. Most only stay a few days anyway and even if they stayed at a private residence booked on AirBNB, by the time this would be noticed, they would have probably already left the country.

So for all intents and purposes, it's only those who have to do 90 day reporting who need to register their address because they also happen to be residents and are most likely to be caught out for not registering.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

It kind of does because the point I was trying to make is that most people who have been caught out are the ones who have to do 90 day reporting. That's the whole purpose - to report where you are staying every 90 days. Immigration has your address and if they notice that you also haven't separately registered using the TM28 or 30 or whatever the number is, that's how they catch you.

Tourists only stay in THailand temporarily. Many move around and they have no fixed address. Most only stay a few days anyway and even if they stayed at a private residence booked on AirBNB, by the time this would be noticed, they would have probably already left the country.

So for all intents and purposes, it's only those who have to do 90 day reporting who need to register their address because they also happen to be residents and are most likely to be caught out for not registering.

Not necessarily. You can be on tourist visa or an O multi and need a certificated of residence. You go to your immigration office to apply and they discover that your address is not on fill. Guess who pays. I know of a few that has happened to.

• Like 2

They are also doing checks area by area in bangkok these days. Here in Onnut, they conduct checks either in the early mornings or late evennings , block of units per day randomly and they go floor by floor......they have checked Areeya Condos, Areeya Housing Estate, Lumpini 46, etc so far....even checked Noble Tara Estate at Pattanakarn,etc.