Retiring in Mexico versus Thailand

derble

If someone is concerned about murders or traffic deaths per capita he should stay the heck out of Thailand. Every country has its dangerous areas and they tend to get the press. Thailand has as much danger to me in a small village as in Bangkok. Thais are "unique."

Thailand has one of the world's highest gun murder rates per capita and the same with traffic deaths.

Most Mexicans and Central and South Americans are nice people. They are mostly Catholic and usually pacifist. The danger everywhere is that outlier and we tend to focus on that because it makes the news.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to personality, I have found that the Mexican women are more reserved around foreigners - maybe it is the Catholic upbringing, I don't know. But in my trips to Thailand and Mexico, I have had many more casual conversations with a Thai women (not in a bar) than I have had with a Mexican woman.

In my opinion, they are both wonderful.

In Mexican culture a lot of the social interaction is "men doing things with other men". The women form their own group and are almost a sideline.

Most of the 'Machismo' that people know so well is also male oriented, and not obviously focused around females.

I spent 10 years living in Lake Chapala and would take Thailand anytime over Mexico. Cheaper living although the peso is sinking a bit. To many noisy street dogs, dogs on flat roofs sleep all day bark all night so called noisy security. Catholic church has so many "rocket" holidays that if your a WW11 vet you would feel right at home. They are a loud music culture. The church controls the population through politics. On certain days rockets from 5 in the morning till 11 pm at night every few minutes. More poverty, to much machismo. Lake Chapala is slowly disappearing being sucked dry by Guadalajara. American Legion there a great watering hole. You must do a 2 hour drive each way for decent shopping in Guad. Guad is a noisy dirty overpopulated place with lots of poverty. Beautiful girls are more plentiful here and have better attitudes. Immigration is a bit better there you can become a FM3. Less official reporting. My info is about 10 years old so some things have changed. The local visa agent runs a flower shop there and she has an arm lock on most of the foreigner visa stuff and she can also get you government medical insurance but it is really a run down system. Think her name is Margo. Dr. Ricardo a great guy. Mentality about the same. They say they know when they don't. Never ask for directions in Guad. You can PM me for more information.

I feel that I MUST reply to your thoughts on this topic. I lived in Mexico (San Miguel de Allende) for 2 years.. got a little expensive for my $1,500 budget so I moved here to Chaing Mai.

I will be returning to Mexico soon. Not sure which city yet. "loud music culture" -here in Chaing mai the NOISE pollution is waaaay higher the Mexico City!!

Yes, lots of fireworks with colour--and those grenades that just have a bang - but I miss all that crazy churchy stuff!

I found Guadalajara to be rich and vibrant with culture.. generally, lots of PARKS.. slum areas.. sure.. but no better or worse than Chiang mai poor areas.

To quote you "Beautiful girls are more plentiful here and have better attitudes'.. I am almost speechless ha ha ha . If you are referring to their willingness to open their legs for a 1000 baht or more.. yep -great attitude! NO!!! Mexican girls any day.. I can actually have a meaningful CONVERSATION with some of them.. here in CM.. not so much 555. Plus the ATM attitude ther has less expectations. Here in CM - day 3 of me knowing one "good girl" : buy me a house!! 55 ridiculous.

I miss the music.. toe tapping, get up and dance music..in fact dancing is often seen in local bars outside.. but hgere.. no one seems to enjoy dancing.. even the go-go girls can not dance 555

I miss mariachi bands. I miss church bells and clock tower chimes. I miss the rainy season there - high white huge thunderheads.. deluge of rain for an hour and huge lightening storms that may last all night. Here, low cloud and rain on and off for hours and hours.. and little thunder and other cool drama in the skies.

I WILL miss Thai food, I WILL miss cheaper living here in CM. But my $400 a month rent here in the city gets me a modern 46 meter studio single room with no fresh air options outside the walls and a basic cooking area. In Mexico my place for $450 had 2 balconies and views that went on for miles.. plus separate living, sleeping and cooking rooms. I will miss flirting with bar girls smile.png

QUALITY of my life in San Miguel was much better than here in Chaing Mai. This was a FUN adventure. But the sexpats, ATM expectations of Thai girls, HOT climate and CRAZY traffic make this a poor choice for a good life on $1,500 a month.

Edited by 1happykamper

"Here's a good video on moving to Mexico:"

Jeez...

What a 'psychedelic-relic' this guy is. Even "I" want to rip him off.

No wonder 'Mr. Doobie' didn't blend in, and is complaining on youtube. This ain't Haight-Ashbury 1967...!

Edited by lgking

You have a decent chance to learn spanish , and since so many have been to the USA a decent chance someone close by speaks good english ,

food is good if you grew up on it like we did , OK , we had Gringo Mexician food and the locals love HOT hot sauce , the bread at the bakery in the morning is cheap as are most local food .

Like anywhere do not go around looking like you are rich , you become a target ,

Would I move there ?????

If I had to leave the USA and wanted to be close to the USA then "maybe" , Costa Rica is not that much farther and said to be good , I went to Guatamala once and it was bad , not sure about the rest of central America,

But what are you going to do everyday ? Thats more important to me than where I do it smile.png

If I do not have a big city nearby and decent Internet I might as well stay home....

but thats just me , your mileage may vary , and you might like sitting on the front porch all day swatting flies and drinking cold beers smile.png

You have a decent chance to learn spanish , and since so many have been to the USA a decent chance someone close by speaks good english ,

food is good if you grew up on it like we did , OK , we had Gringo Mexician food and the locals love HOT hot sauce , the bread at the bakery in the morning is cheap as are most local food .

Like anywhere do not go around looking like you are rich , you become a target ,

Would I move there ?????

If I had to leave the USA and wanted to be close to the USA then "maybe" , Costa Rica is not that much farther and said to be good , I went to Guatamala once and it was bad , not sure about the rest of central America,

But what are you going to do everyday ? Thats more important to me than where I do it smile.png

If I do not have a big city nearby and decent Internet I might as well stay home....

but thats just me , your mileage may vary , and you might like sitting on the front porch all day swatting flies and drinking cold beers smile.png

THis guy is in Lake Chalapa near Guadalahara. He lives in a tourist enclave and never wants or needs to leave his estate. He gets loaded regularly. It's the end of the line.

Central America with the exception of Costa Rica has the highest murder rates in the world. You need to live in a guarded compound with other foreigners with guided/guarded trips out to see anything.

Panama and Costs Rica maybe OK but even there the influence of drug trafficking and the spectre of being kidnapped is always around. The locals in both of those countries have become much less appreciative of foreigners in the past decade and again you become a target because of your relative wealth. Also real estate has skyrocketed because of course all the fools in the USA load into the next hot thing and have driven prices up.....

SE Asia still the best bet globally.

Mexico sounds great! Much less violent crime than Thailand and people more honest.

More rubbish information from the lazy. Mexico has a murder rate of 22.5/100,000/year vs 5 for Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Perhaps you missed the news about beheadings as a normal business practice of the cartels.

Beyond the statistics Mexico has probably already lost control of several states to the narcotrafficantes and could become a failed state without an effective government in the future.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/755724-two-bodies-found-near-abandoned-catamaran-close-to-pattaya-island/

Perhaps you missed the news about two beheaded foreigners in koh larn,

as someone said, under-reporting and mis-reporting vioelent crime against foreigners is a normal business practice of the thai police....

You know, I'm not so sure it matters that much where you decide to stay. You will pick some place where you feel some comfort and safety. What you do after you have parked your butt is more important.

Several years ago I was wandering down Mexico'a west coast and ended up in San Patricio. Nice little city, a bit rough around the edges, and it had a very small but active expat community. They were actively exploring the unique features of Jalisco culture.

I got in the habit of a morning beach walk to the next town for an early lunch. Now this is highly NOT recommended at night but I always felt safe during the day. As I walked through Barra de Navidad (the next town) I kept seeing unkempt, unshaven expat barflys working their way through their morning bottle of ... Mescal seemed to be favored. It seemed like each bar had their own pet expat barfly.

There it was, the positive and the negative of epat living side by side. I"m sure you could put that scene almost anywhere in the world. There are expat communities almost everywhere. It doesn't matter where you are (if you are somewhere you want to be). Your time is the most important thing you have left to spend.

Sorry for the meander

The Barra de Navidad sounds a wee bit like soi Buakhao in Pattaya....

You know, I'm not so sure it matters that much where you decide to stay. You will pick some place where you feel some comfort and safety. What you do after you have parked your butt is more important.

Several years ago I was wandering down Mexico'a west coast and ended up in San Patricio. Nice little city, a bit rough around the edges, and it had a very small but active expat community. They were actively exploring the unique features of Jalisco culture.

I got in the habit of a morning beach walk to the next town for an early lunch. Now this is highly NOT recommended at night but I always felt safe during the day. As I walked through Barra de Navidad (the next town) I kept seeing unkempt, unshaven expat barflys working their way through their morning bottle of ... Mescal seemed to be favored. It seemed like each bar had their own pet expat barfly.

There it was, the positive and the negative of epat living side by side. I"m sure you could put that scene almost anywhere in the world. There are expat communities almost everywhere. It doesn't matter where you are (if you are somewhere you want to be). Your time is the most important thing you have left to spend.

Sorry for the meander

Mexico sounds great! Much less violent crime than Thailand and people more honest.

More rubbish information from the lazy. Mexico has a murder rate of 22.5/100,000/year vs 5 for Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Perhaps you missed the news about beheadings as a normal business practice of the cartels.

Beyond the statistics Mexico has probably already lost control of several states to the narcotrafficantes and could become a failed state without an effective government in the future.

You call me lazy but you have no idea who I am Capt. Haddock 'the angry and insulting poster'. Even if I were lazy, better to be lazy than an angry and obnixious little penis like yourself.

Now why don't you go forth and multiply by sodomising yourself.

Lazy or not, your comments about Mexico/Thailand are moronic.

American friend of mine was in Malaysia retired for about 10 years. Relocated to Mexico. He loves it.

How long has he been there?

3 or 4 years now. He spent a lot of time there before retirement. He came to Malaysia, but got a bit bored with it. He was doing sports consulting work in Asia whilst retired in Malaysia but didn't like the way it was changing. He came to see me in Thailand to check it out, but thought the visa stuff was ridiculous.

Then, next I heard on Facebook he had left and gone to Mexico. He loves it there and tells me he doesn't miss Asia one bit. Nice guy with a great story.

American friend of mine was in Malaysia retired for about 10 years. Relocated to Mexico. He loves it.

3 or 4 years now. He spent a lot of time there before retirement. He came to Malaysia, but got a bit bored with it. He was doing sports consulting work in Asia whilst retired in Malaysia but didn't like the way it was changing. He came to see me in Thailand to check it out, but thought the visa stuff was ridiculous.

Then, next I heard on Facebook he had left and gone to Mexico. He loves it there and tells me he doesn't miss Asia one bit. Nice guy with a great story.

Thanks. I was wondering if people who had worked abroad and traveled a lot in their lives, tend to hit a "wall" at some point, and need a change of scenery. For some reason, the 10 year mark in Malaysia made me think of that was all. Cheers.

Petty childish bickering and some abusive remarks removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

Hurtful remarks online can be very painful. Good way to be unfriended 555

Be kind..open forum and all that..

My friend has lived in Costa Rica for over a decade..he might post a video

I feel safer on The Yucatan.. was almost a separate country..

Merida has the lowest murder rate in North America. For a town of almost 1 million.

Aloha

http://www.yolisto.com/topic/7288-yucatan-low-violent-crime-rates-prevail/

I think this is the forum I've heard about.

Edited by KonaRain

Mexican peppers with Thai style Mexican at home..sounds good to me. I read yesterday that reheating tortillas or rice lowers glycemic blood sugar spikes.

Ah, good peppers..grown in the tropical desert of Yucatan.

Also..this is interesting..NatureBoy's PhotoNatureBoy

18 Apr 2009

ON SETTLING ON THE YUCATAN'S NORTHWESTERN COAST This is Naturalist Jim Conrad, producer of the "Notes on the Plants, Animals & Ecology of the Northern Yucatan Peninsula Website" at http://www.backyardnature.net/yucatan/ I write to express concern about exploding real-estate development on the Yucatan's northwestern coast. This development is destroying critical habitat in an especially biological important part of the world. Ever since Darwin studied in the Galapagos it's been recognized that unique species evolve on islands. Though geographically the Yucatan is a peninsula, ecologically it is an island. It is an island because on the west, north and east it is surrounded by the sea. To the south, organisms adapted to the Yucatan's arid environment are isolated from other organisms of their kind by a very different ecosystem, one dependent on much higher rainfall. Unique plants and animals have evolved in the northern Yucatan because -- as if they were on an island -- for eons they have been genetically isolated from other similar populations. Moreover, because northwestern Yucatan is the driest part of the peninsula, by far the greatest numbers of unique species live exactly there. In ecology, an "endemic" species is one that in the whole world is found naturally only in a very limited area. This makes an endemic species not only very special but also much more vulnerable to extinction than more widely distributed species. Nearly 10% of the Yucatan's plant species are endemics. For example, the Yucatan is home to 14 endemic cactus species, and the northern Yucatan is home to ten of them. A similar situation exists for other kinds of organisms. In other words, the "scrub" along northwestern Yucatan's coast -- though it may look barren to northern eyes -- is a unique and fragile ecosystem. Unfortunately, real estate development is most active in this "scrub" area. When the land's surface is "cleaned of scrub," profound ecological damage is committed. Even more disheartening than the gradual conversion of one small lot of "scrub" to dreamhome sandy backyard after another is the 2,200-acre Flamingo Lakes Golf & Country Club Resort being planned near Telchac Puerto on the northwestern coast. That development will absolutely destroy a huge swath of important cactus ecosystem, plus runoff from its 18-hole Championship golf course will drain into the "flamingo lake" beside it, from which it takes its name. Flamingos do overwinter in that lake. And think of all the garbage the resort will generate. The forces behind this development are far beyond my understanding or ability to do anything about. I do hope, however, that individuals who have their mind set on doing their part to "develop" the Yucatan's northwestern coast will keep this in mind: You are participating in a tragic degradation of a beautiful and important ecosystem.

From Yolisto forum

Mexican food is better in Mexico than in Thailand but not as good as in the UStongue.png

Dunno, those dirty street tacos in TJ seemed a bit more tasty than in sanitary San Diego. Maybe the gritty grime adds an extra flavor, like a Thai chicken charcoal bbq'd 1.5 meters away from cars flying by at 120kph. Crunch crunch, Yum! biggrin.png

55jay, I think you might be on to something with the "hitting a wall" comment. It could be as simple as boredom and needing a change. I completely enjoy myself in the Baja from Magdalena Bay down to San Jose de Cabo. I still wandered away to find another place to discover and explore. I expect that if I'm healthy enough I will wander away from the next one.

"I feel safer on The Yucatan.. was almost a separate country..

Merida has the lowest murder rate in North America. For a town of almost 1 million."

KonaRain you should feel safer. I think the Yucatan and Quintana Roo have crime statistics that are lower than Iowa's (May be wrong...not gospel​)

It is in everyones best interest to keep it that way. The Mexican Riviera is a money pit for the cartels This is one place where they launder their money and introduce it into the Mexican economy. State officials estimate that about 10% to 12% of the hotel rooms are "ghost rooms". I have come across ghost hotels before in other parts of Mexico. Interesting

For residents of the area it is great, they are living in an area with a hugely suppressed crime rate where there is a lot of work.clap2.gif

I hope he's not in Juarez. There's a movie playing right now about the Mexican drug cartels called Sicario, which mostly centers around El Paso and Juarez, aka, "the beast." Great movie.

I hope he's not in Juarez. There's a movie playing right now about the Mexican drug cartels called Sicario, which mostly centers around El Paso and Juarez, aka, "the beast." Great movie.

He is in Ajicic, wherever that is

55jay, I think you might be on to something with the "hitting a wall" comment. It could be as simple as boredom and needing a change. I completely enjoy myself in the Baja from Magdalena Bay down to San Jose de Cabo. I still wandered away to find another place to discover and explore. I expect that if I'm healthy enough I will wander away from the next one. <snip>

Glad I didn't buy/lease that lovely new house on a hill over looking the Pacific between Tijuana and Rosarito so many years ago because I ended up leaving the US in '98 with the job, and have never lived there again. I landed in Thailand. Go figure.

Still, when I'm here, I think of there. The brown mountains and scrub of San Diego and Baja is "home" to me in a way Thailand will never be. So I go there for a while, and when I come back, I appreciate the little things about life here in Thailand. Each side has its charms and turds.

At some point I'll have to decide. Probably end up kicking the bucket in transit over the Pacific @ 37,000'. facepalm.gif

55jay, I think you might be on to something with the "hitting a wall" comment. It could be as simple as boredom and needing a change. I completely enjoy myself in the Baja from Magdalena Bay down to San Jose de Cabo. I still wandered away to find another place to discover and explore. I expect that if I'm healthy enough I will wander away from the next one. <snip>

Glad I didn't buy/lease that lovely new house on a hill over looking the Pacific between Tijuana and Rosarito so many years ago because I ended up leaving the US in '98 with the job, and have never lived there again. I landed in Thailand. Go figure.

Still, when I'm here, I think of there. The brown mountains and scrub of San Diego and Baja is "home" to me in a way Thailand will never be. So I go there for a while, and when I come back, I appreciate the little things about life here in Thailand. Each side has its charms and turds.

At some point I'll have to decide. Probably end up kicking the bucket in transit over the Pacific @ 37,000'. facepalm.gif

Water Damn Cold, I like La Buffadora area outside Ensnare, baja race is fun too

"after nine years in Thailand, I'm moving to Zijuatanejo (Remember "The Shawshank Redemption?). Three reasons:

1. Tourist Visa is ~$25 U.S. Good for six months. No visa runs, no 90 reporting to immigration, unlimited (thought that may change in the future).

2. NO work permit needed to jam with the local musicians in the bars/clubs.

3. Jomtien beach is a sewer. Looks beautiful from a 5th floor condo, but I tried swimming in it recently and thought I might need to get some shots after, just filthy!

I'll be there in six weeks, I'll keep y'all posted on the progress'

Forget about the visa....you have to live with the culture.

Latin Americans in general are 'scammers'...in a cruder, more repulsive way than the 'Chinese-Thai's.

however, North American's feel a 'comfort zone' with staying within their own hemisphere...fools!

(it's only 1000 miles to my hospital in Chicago where I can have new stents installed to keep me on my' huevos rancheros' diet)

Had rental property. Once rented to all Russians and eastern Europeans, once to all Mexicans and latin Americans. The Europeans all cheap , but on time. All the Latins stole, even wall sockets, etc. The Mexicans and Mexican Americans, the worse. Though very likeable. Have never had a problem with Thais stealing in the USA or Thailand. Married to Thailand. In all of these cases including many of us, we're dealing with people, little or no adolescents. That's what most westerners don't seem to have any grasp of. Every insensitive.

Water Damn Cold, I like La Buffadora area outside Ensnare, baja race is fun too
Ensenada

There's no 'social embarrassment' factor in Mexico.

For example, if your ordering food at a street stall they are far less likely to 'work things out' if you don't speak Spanish. Condecending laughter and refusing to serve is much more common. The Mexicans are also nastier then Asians if you don't speak the language and if you don't try to speak it they tend to shut down and not want to provide goods and services.

There is also an underlying rift between Mexicans and Americans that makes daily interaction uncomfortable. Certainly not the friendliness stuff you get interacting with Thai's. That's going to take getting used to unless you hide in an expat enclave like most retirees do there.