Minor Crash On A Rented Scootor

mrleeparrott

Hello everyone,

I have been renting a scooter for 2 days and I had a crash today. luckily it was only minor and i did not take any damage, nor did the bike. The parked car that I hit however, is not looking so good.

I was driving in heavy rain and pulled into my hotels carpark. As i went down the ramp (too fast) my back wheel slipped whilst turning the corner, I lost control and fell back in my seat. My automatic reaction was to hold on to the handles but in doing so I've held the acceleration down and driven into the front of a parked car. (See Attachment)

Does a rented scooter generally cover for such accidents?

I only have the funds to support myself during my stay in Chiang Mai so paying for the damages myself is basically out of the question. What happens if I am not covered?

Thanks for any help in advance.

post-245965-0-33319400-1442585025_thumb.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the scooter hire company know? Did you leave a deposit when renting or your passport? Did you have insurance? Did you pay with a Credit Card by any chance? Who has been notified of the accident?

It only happened about an hour ago so the scooter hire company know nothing until tomorrow, i left 10,000 baht deposit but bare in mind the scooter has taken no damage other than a couple barely noticable scratches. I presume that the bike is not insured and no I payed cash

You'll be lucky if you get your 10k back and the owner is going to want something too. Welcome to Thailand.

As i previously said, there is next to no damage on the bike so the deposit shouldn't be an issue. As for the owner of the car, I really do not have much money to offer him because the money I have is all I have to live off. So in the case that I cannot pay him enough and the company doesn't cover insurance... There doesn't seem like there is any wriggle room

you gotta be carefull ,depending on what sort of rental place you have used it may well be better to not mention the accident to them, but on the other hand you have caused a fair bit of damage to the car its the thai way that you pay for repairs not only the thai way this also happens in europe,you really want to sort this out with yourself and the driver you don't want the police getting involved,you gotta allow for instances like this your budget should never be that tight ....credit card or get friends or family to send money over the damage has gotta be paid labour is cheap in thaland so its not gonna cost that much.

your 10,000 deposit from the bike may even cover it ,you gotta get the car owner to get some quotes for repair.

Pity the owner was driving such a big car as a Yaris and couldn't park further back like either side OP might have missed itwink.png as for paintwork most of those marks will buff out the one to left of where number plate was 1000 bahtish for local blow in tell owner don't have whole panel sprayed may not match then looks like had major damage, add on top plate holder and new plate if mangled (pain has to be ordered from Gov) should be well under 3000 baht total.

I've spoken to the owner and his wife this morning. He is claiming that the repairs are going to cost over 40,000 baht and on top of that he is asking me to provide travel funds for his wife to get to and from work. This figure seems WAAY higher than I expected.

When looking at the damage it looks like a new bumper would solve the whole thing. What do you guys think?

Tell him you got no money and tell him to claim it on his own insurance.

My wife's car just came back from the Honda shop which did a lot of bodywork on it, repairing a big dent on the passenger front door, and lots of small dents on the hood, the front bumper, front quarter panel drives side, it also got a brand new headlight. Total claim was around 20k THB with 3000 thb deductible. A dent on a front bumper of that yaris? I'd guess a new bumper would cost a lot less than the guy wants.

Tell him you got no money and tell him to claim it on his own insurance.

My wife's car just came back from the Honda shop which did a lot of bodywork on it, repairing a big dent on the passenger front door, and lots of small dents on the hood, the front bumper, front quarter panel drives side, it also got a brand new headlight. Total claim was around 20k THB with 3000 thb deductible. A dent on a front bumper of that yaris? I'd guess a new bumper would cost a lot less than the guy wants.

The guy claims his wifes insurance doesn't cover damage to her own car... Would this mean the price for repairs goes up significantly or do you think he's trying to rip me off?

I've spoken to the owner and his wife this morning. He is claiming that the repairs are going to cost over 40,000 baht and on top of that he is asking me to provide travel funds for his wife to get to and from work. This figure seems WAAY higher than I expected.

When looking at the damage it looks like a new bumper would solve the whole thing. What do you guys think?

bwahahahahahahahahahaha 40k in repairs, not in the pictures you have provided.

There is nothing but cosmetic damage to the front bar and at worst it will be 3k to repaint the whole thing.

I see. So what has happened is the guy and his wife have gone into Toyota, told them that a farang has his my car, so Toyota have given them the farang price to pass on to me? Is there any way I could appeal against it? Or any loopholes?

If someone could help me to lower this significantly I would be more than happy to compensate for your time.

Thanks to everyone who's helped me thus far on this matter, it's really come along and knocked my wind out, especially to hear this ridiculous price!

Sounds high,try to find some car repair places and get a quote for a new bumper ,then try and negotiate again.come on shrup you can't just be saying you have no money put yourself in the car drivers shoes he is entitled to have his car repaired properly.saying you have no money is just gonna end up with the police being involved

I would bring the scooter back asap before they learn abt it and find a way to claim your deposit.

With the 10,000 in hand scope out some car repair shops for a new bumber or where they can fix it. Shouldn't be over 3,000 to fix at least. Offer the owners money for transport (to me the car looks driveable anyway)

After that, get a bicycle ;)

I would bring the scooter back asap before they learn abt it and find a way to claim your deposit.

With the 10,000 in hand scope out some car repair shops for a new bumber or where they can fix it. Shouldn't be over 3,000 to fix at least. Offer the owners money for transport (to me the car looks driveable anyway)

After that, get a bicycle wink.png

I took the scooter back this morning, was lucky enough to get the deposit back in full!

How can I get a quote on a bumper for a car if I don't have the car with me? All I have is the picture to go by...

I took the scooter back this morning, was lucky enough to get the deposit back in full!

How can I get a quote on a bumper for a car if I don't have the car with me? All I have is the picture to go by...

Just tell them that you would bring their car to a repair shop and pay for it. That way its easy and you pay the real price (hopefully)

Yup you're getting ripped off. Walk into any Toyota dealer and inquire at the service department about the cost of a new bumper on Yaris. May as well get an installation quote so you know how long would it take to install it. If let's say a day or two, then next find out the rental cost for a similar car for a day or two. Then do the math.

Give this to the car owner and tell him this is the best you can do and if he doesn't like it he can go to police. He would take the money I'm almost 100% sure and not going to fix the damage.

Yup you're getting ripped off. Walk into any Toyota dealer and inquire at the service department about the cost of a new bumper on Yaris. May as well get an installation quote so you know how long would it take to install it. If let's say a day or two, then next find out the rental cost for a similar car for a day or two. Then do the math.

Give this to the car owner and tell him this is the best you can do and if he doesn't like it he can go to police. He would take the money I'm almost 100% sure and not going to fix the damage.

He seems like a reasonable guy to me so I'm sure as long as he gets the car repaired and back in his wife's hands he will be happy.

Do you think it's worth mentioning to him personally? He knows of my money situation, I'm sure it's not him that is trying to rip me off it's just what toyota have quoted after supposedly hearing that a farang had damaged their car. Maybe I could ask them to go back to toyota and explain that his wife (who is Thai) is going to have to pay for it herself and maybe they'll drop the price.