Phuket Opinion: My beach, your beach

Lite Beer

Phuket Opinion: My beach, your beach
The Phuket News

1442566528_1-org.jpg

THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL: Nikki Beach Club draw atrracted many glitterati from far and wide.

PHUKET: Over the last year, an endless number of commercial establishments along Phuket’s west coast have been faced with eviction notices in light of the military-led crackdown on illegal structures and encroachment.

In particular, Surin Beach, which has long drawn some of the island’s most glittering clientele, saw a number of their beach clubs torn down to the dismay of many of the regulars to that scene.

Most recently, the sudden closure of Nikki Beach Phuket sparked controversy and mixed reaction, with the management of the popular club simply posting a notice on its Facebook page on September 5:

“To our Nikki Beach Friends and Family, we want to let you know that our Phuket location is currently closed.”

The closure of the club has undoubtedly caused a divide of interest, with many taking to social media to voice their opinions. One voice in favour of the closure stated “Peace has finally returned to Layan Beach”.

This sentiment is not ubiquitous, however, given the club’s international reputation and popularity of its sister branches across the world.

But whether or not one is a fan of the beach club scene, it cannot be denied that many of these glamorous landmarks, which strongly cater towards “high spending” expat clientèle, have greatly helped Phuket’s tourism.

It’s no secret that Thailand’s tourism-dependent economy has had a relatively tough
year, and certain controversial policies have exasperated the situation.

The reduction and removal of beach chairs and umbrellas on Phuket’s beaches comes to mind, and now, as yet another beach club on Phuket’s iconic west coast has been shut down, many questions, and doubts, have arisen in respect to the future.

But perhaps it’s not all gloom and doom for the island’s beach club scene.

Interestingly enough, a report online suggested that the Nikki Beach Hotel is being rebranded under the Dream brand, with the club to be reopen as the Dream Beach Club after an extensive renovation and upgrade, a relaunch rumoured for mid-November, just in time for high season.

Good or bad – The Phuket News intends to remain neutral. Some of our staff regularly frequent the scene and swear by its benefits, while others prefer the quiet, desolate side of the beach.

Nonetheless we encourage all businesses to abide by the rule of law, and give back to the community whenever possible.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-my-beach-your-beach-54161.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-20

I couldn't be happier then to see all the encroaching businesses demolished and sunchairs removed along the King's Phuket beaches. A miracle has taken place. I would never have believed that could have happened prior to the coup. Prime Minister Prayuth deserves the praise of everyone for accomplishing that.

The people who live here are overwhelmingly positive about these moves. Phuket Beaches haven't looked this great for many years. The corruption that allowed the beaches to be sold off took a major hit.

There is a minority of business people who blame the tourism slowdown on these moves. The tourism slowdown has nothing to do with eliminating these encroaching businesses and sunchairs off the beach. There is a global slowdown in tourism caused by the slowing of world economy. Russian, China, Austrailia are all part of this. Blaming government policies on beach sunchairs for the tourism slowdown is ridiculous. They aren't allowed on the beaches of western nations.

I get sick of hearing the tourism slowdown blame placed on the beautification of Phuket's beaches. Instead of spouting this nonsense, people should be selling how much better our beaches are since they are no longer a parking lot of sunchairs! The positive aspects of this beautification far outweigh any inconvenience there is of lying on a soft mat rather than a beach chair.

Phuket beaches are beautiful now. That's the bottom line. The business community must accept that reality and stop the bitching.

The people have won. Thank Buddha. And to those tourists who say they won't return because they can't plant their ass on a plastic lounger and have a runner grabbing their Singhas...bye. Others will be here to appreciate our beautiful beaches. There is nothing like what we offer in Phuket, the food, the people, the beaches. Not in Vietnam. Not in Cambodia. Not in Bali. Not anywhere.

Join us.

I personally believe that not all beaches need to be the same: keep some natural, allow chairs, beds and umbrellas on others and even allow one to cater for the glamorous crowd who enjoy beach clubs but I know this is against the views of most on here.

What does annoy me though is that at a time when they are at least portraying the notion of returning the beach areas to their natural beauty, they plan to build a movie museum in Naiharn right in the middle of an area that really should not be built upon. Couldn't they find a plot of land that would be more suitable? Concrete car park next?

I couldn't be happier then to see all the encroaching businesses demolished and sunchairs removed along the King's Phuket beaches. A miracle has taken place. I would never have believed that could have happened prior to the coup. Prime Minister Prayuth deserves the praise of everyone for accomplishing that.

The people who live here are overwhelmingly positive about these moves. Phuket Beaches haven't looked this great for many years. The corruption that allowed the beaches to be sold off took a major hit.

There is a minority of business people who blame the tourism slowdown on these moves. The tourism slowdown has nothing to do with eliminating these encroaching businesses and sunchairs off the beach. There is a global slowdown in tourism caused by the slowing of world economy. Russian, China, Austrailia are all part of this. Blaming government policies on beach sunchairs for the tourism slowdown is ridiculous. They aren't allowed on the beaches of western nations.

I get sick of hearing the tourism slowdown blame placed on the beautification of Phuket's beaches. Instead of spouting this nonsense, people should be selling how much better our beaches are since they are no longer a parking lot of sunchairs! The positive aspects of this beautification far outweigh any inconvenience there is of lying on a soft mat rather than a beach chair.

Phuket beaches are beautiful now. That's the bottom line. The business community must accept that reality and stop the bitching.

The people have won. Thank Buddha. And to those tourists who say they won't return because they can't plant their ass on a plastic lounger and have a runner grabbing their Singhas...bye. Others will be here to appreciate our beautiful beaches. There is nothing like what we offer in Phuket, the food, the people, the beaches. Not in Vietnam. Not in Cambodia. Not in Bali. Not anywhere.

Join us.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Where have you been in Vietnam if I might ask ... ? They have better beaches, tastier food and friendlier people but they could learn from Phuket how to scam cause they dont do that like in Phuket ... gigglem.gif

Join us.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Where have you been in Vietnam if I might ask ... ? They have better beaches, tastier food and friendlier people but they could learn from Phuket how to scam cause they dont do that like in Phuket ... gigglem.gif

I was all over Vietnam a month ago. Water is colder, like the people. Vietnamese people eat like pigs at a trough. I look at the mess left behind by a Vietnamese family and I'm disgusted. Place is anything but the land of smiles. Few speak English. It's significantly hotter, miserably hot. The food is not as good, that's just my opinion. The beaches are nowhere near the quality of Phuket's beaches. I don't know where you're getting scammed? I think you're just throwing it out there. Even the jetski boys are behaving these days here in Phuket.

The biggest issues are the infrastructure and the corruption in Vietnam. You think our BIB are bad? If Thailand is a 3rd world country, Vietnam is a 2.75 country.

But by all means, go and enjoy if that makes you happy. And good luck.

Join us.

Many years ago I used to go to Phuket for my holidays but several years ago I gave up because the beaches had been completely spoilt. I do too applaud the PM for the cleaning up the beaches. And it certainly would never have been done under any other government because of their vested interests. Now I can go back to Phuket and enjoy the beaches again. It will also benefit tourism on the island

Join us.

Many years ago I used to go to Phuket for my holidays but several years ago I gave up because the beaches had been completely spoilt. I do too applaud the PM for the cleaning up the beaches. And it certainly would never have been done under any other government because of their vested interests. Now I can go back to Phuket and enjoy the beaches again. It will also benefit tourism on the island

a saturday afternoon

11223748_10156023135030534_7528089641273

Phuket's disgusting right?

As long as you avoid patong/kata(&surroudings) where most of the angry, thai hating & thaivisa posting farangs live, phuket's great.

Edited by bearpolar

Join us.

There is nothing like what we offer in Phuket...

Yep it would be difficult to find, anywhere else in the world, a destination that holds itself out as a world class beach resort despite having toxic levels of fecal coliforms in the seawater. Some of the sand has been cleared of chairs and other dross, but people don't swim in sand.

Join us.

"There is nothing like what we offer in Phuket, the food, the people, the beaches. Not in Vietnam. Not in Cambodia. Not in Bali. Not anywhere." - rubbish.

Except for the flourishing sex trade, and even the other places mentioned have this, but not to the huge extent Phuket / Thailand "offers" it.

Not to mention, many other places offer proper transport. Phuket certainly doesn't. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Join us.

I was all over Vietnam a month ago. Water is colder, like the people. Vietnamese people eat like pigs at a trough. I look at the mess left behind by a Vietnamese family and I'm disgusted. Place is anything but the land of smiles. Few speak English. It's significantly hotter, miserably hot. The food is not as good, that's just my opinion. The beaches are nowhere near the quality of Phuket's beaches. I don't know where you're getting scammed? I think you're just throwing it out there. Even the jetski boys are behaving these days here in Phuket.

The biggest issues are the infrastructure and the corruption in Vietnam. You think our BIB are bad? If Thailand is a 3rd world country, Vietnam is a 2.75 country.

"look at the mess left behind by a Vietnamese family and I'm disgusted" - but at least they don't leave behind a murdered family member, like in Thailand. cheesy.gif

Only time will tell, but I predict Vietnam will take a large slice of Thailand's tourism market in the future, if they haven't already. There were already a lot of Russians, ex-Phuket, there.

On a visa run to Vietnam, a while ago, I met a foreign guy with his Thai wife, who moved to Vietnam and set up a cafe / restaurant. They were both happy, even his missus, which surprised me.

Join us.

"look at the mess left behind by a Vietnamese family and I'm disgusted" - but at least they don't leave behind a murdered family member, like in Thailand. cheesy.gif

Only time will tell, but I predict Vietnam will take a large slice of Thailand's tourism market in the future, if they haven't already. There were already a lot of Russians, ex-Phuket, there.

On a visa run to Vietnam, a while ago, I met a foreign guy with his Thai wife, who moved to Vietnam and set up a cafe / restaurant. They were both happy, even his missus, which surprised me.

It is easy to work there.

When I was vacationing last month, the Vietnamese would invariably try to speak to my TG. She would politely tell them she was Thai.

It was very quiet and tourism was way off compared to prior years. It is a little cheaper than Thailand. I liked the fact that good wine was far cheaper than LOS. Their beers are excellent as well.

We met an Aussi couple that had been there for years. They are now moving to Phuket. Had it with the BS. Vietnam is a significant step down from LOS.

@ Pinot

"It is easy to work there." - everything is easier there. Work, visas etc.

"It was very quiet and tourism was way off compared to prior years." - quiet, yes, but not "dead" like Phuket.

"It is a little cheaper than Thailand." - yes, a little cheaper than Thailand, but A LOT cheaper than Phuket.

"I liked the fact that good wine was far cheaper than LOS." - correct. I always bring back a bottle or two from a visa run.

"Their beers are excellent as well." - I agree. I drink Saigon Red. In Ho Chi Minh City, about 20,000 Vietnamese Dong (30 baht) in a regular bar. 40,000 Vietnamese Dong (60 baht) in a nice air conditioned bar with sport/s on their big screens.

"They are now moving to Phuket." - I'll give them 6 months. :)

"Vietnam is a significant step down from LOS." - what are you basing this comment on, Thailand in general, or Phuket?