Leaving Thailand with under 6 months on passport

Hi there.

I need to leave Thailand for a few weeks. I have a Non-B visa valid until January, plus I have a multiple re-entry permit.

However, I only have 5 months left before my passport expires.

Will I be ok to go on a trip to UK. I plan to get a new passport when I get back, but I will have under 6 months left on my passport.

Could this be a problem, or the fact that I am on a Non-b Visa already be sufficient.

Many thanks in advance.

It certainly could. A few years back the airline was going to refuse to let me board because my passport was about 5 months, I had just overlooked it. As I was from the UK and had made my own way to Amsterdam the checkin supervisor called immigration in Thailand. They allowed me to board on the basis I had a return ticket to the UK. When I got to Thailand the immigration officer never queried the passport and never asked to see the ticket.

It is the airline that could be the problem.

May I just strengthen Ubonjoe's as usual excellent reply. I would say don't just consider renewing your passport while you are in the UK, do it. It's easy there, and removes worry for another ten years. Upon re-entry to LOS present both passports.

• Like 2

Canada is a pain in the a** for that. I was coming to Thailand for 2 weeks passing through Calgary. They caused so many problems as I didnt have a visa for thailand but had a return ticket you wouldnt believe. They could see from my passport I had gone to Thailand many times for less than the 30 exemption and no problem. Some Airlines are just a pain, something we have to live with

• Like 2

You only need passport validity equal to your allowed stay to enter the country.

If you are from the UK you should consider applying for a new passport while you are there. You can get one on the same day you apply by using the premium service,

See: https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

The fast track service to get you passport back in within a week costs about the same as getting a passport here. https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

The months remaining on your current passport will be added on to your new passport validity.

Not 100% sure - but if you do get a new passport in the UK you will need to send your current one with the application, it will then be returned clipped as expired. As your Non-B visa is in the old passport you will not be able to transfer it over to the new passport in the UK, or the multiple re-entry. thus your return to Thailand will be hindered.

Unless I'm completely wrong on the above - I'd apply for the new passport here once you get back (note applying before hand doesn't allow you to travel on the old passport even though you retain it for ID purposes).

You only need passport validity equal to your allowed stay to enter the country.

If you are from the UK you should consider applying for a new passport while you are there. You can get one on the same day you apply by using the premium service,

See: https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

The fast track service to get you passport back in within a week costs about the same as getting a passport here. https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

The months remaining on your current passport will be added on to your new passport validity.

Not 100% sure - but if you do get a new passport in the UK you will need to send your current one with the application, it will then be returned clipped as expired. As your Non-B visa is in the old passport you will not be able to transfer it over to the new passport in the UK, or the multiple re-entry. thus your return to Thailand will be hindered.

Unless I'm completely wrong on the above - I'd apply for the new passport here once you get back (note applying before hand doesn't allow you to travel on the old passport even though you retain it for ID purposes).

Wrong

A valid visa, extension or re-entry permit remains valid in the old passport after it is cancelled,

You just use both passports on entry. The old passport to show what ever you have that allows you to enter the country. The officer will stamp you into the country in the new passport.

• Like 2

You do realise you can extend your UK passport for 12 months, in LoS, and for no fee? There are terms, naturally, and the one issue might be the period remaining, as it might - I can't remember - need to be inside of (less than) the 5 months, but you can check online.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

You do realise you can extend your UK passport for 12 months, in LoS, and for no fee? There are terms, naturally, and the one issue might be the period remaining, as it might - I can't remember - need to be inside of (less than) the 5 months, but you can check online.

Not any more. That ended some time ago.

Hello,

You'd be alright unless you should stop over anywhere they'll need your passport

to be good for at least 6 months before entering there on your way back home.

Good luck.

This is only a problem if you actually enter the country as apposed to transit through (changing flights)

May I just strengthen Ubonjoe's as usual excellent reply. I would say don't just consider renewing your passport while you are in the UK, do it. It's easy there, and removes worry for another ten years. Upon re-entry to LOS present both passports.

But should you still wish to opt for the "With-It Tower Experience" upon your return then at the very least obtain the passport photos while you are in the UK. The number of professional photographers in LOS who are familiar with HMPO's stringent requirements can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand.