New study shows Thai likes Danes better than Norwegian

webfact

New study shows Thai likes Danes better than Norwegian

BANGKOK: -- Thailand is very popular in Norway. In return Norwegians are not very popular among Thais according to a new study from Hoegskolen in Hedmark.

”The cultural difference is the reason”, professor Ellen Hertzberg answers to the conclusion that Norwegians are not as liked in Thailand as Danes. She is the first fixed-term lecturer of the newly published study from September 2015.

The survey is based on interviews with 255 middle managers from 14 companies in Thailand. According to them the Norwegian reputation is decreasing in the land of smiles, while Danes and Swedes succeed more being liked as middle managers in great, international companies.

Even in the hotel and hospital work fields Danes and Swedes are more preferred than their Norwegian colleagues, says the survey.

“Among all Scandinavians working in Thai companies Danes are being the majority, and it is not a coincidence. They’re simply more popular than other Scandinavians,” Ellen Hertzberg says.

After several years investigating how Scandinavians and Scandinavian companies are being regarded in Thailand, Norwegian Ellen Hertzberg argues that the main reason of Danes being so popular in Thailand has something to do with the structure of Thai culture.

“Danish people just fit better into the Thai culture. They are smiling, laid-back and jovial,” she says. In return the Swedes are regarded more impatient and more self-expecting, which can relate back to Swedes are more used to be independent in the Swedish working life. They expect the same thing of the Thai staff when they arrive to Thailand. Nevertheless, the study shows Swedes still are more popular than Norwegians.

“Norwegians are regarded as strict and very critical minded leaders,” Ellen Hertzberg says.

Then there is the Thai people itself. They are known for being kind and gentle, but according to the professor they need to be clearly informed about what to do. Danes are more likely to give orders in a polite and/or a humourous way, and that can be one of the main reasons why Danish leaders are more popular among Thais than their Scandinavian colleagues.

Sources: forskning.no

Source: http://scandasia.com/new-study-shows-thai-likes-danes-better-than-norwegian/

-- ScandAsia 2015-09-22

Have to find the paper, but I wonder if it also indicate the performance level of various Scandinavian countries managers. Being popular is nice, being liked is OK, but how effective are those managers?

Having worked with lots of Norwegians I can only confirm that the Thai judgement of them is 100% correct.

Some of the laziest,self righteous and pompous people I have had the displeasure of working with.

They are however quite funny and often good company in a bar setting.

Edited by stoneyboy

“Norwegians are regarded as strict and very critical minded leaders,” Ellen Hertzberg says.

Oh dear, looks like not only do they make Thais work, they dare to criticise them when they are bad/lazy/inept.

Tsk Tsk.

Can't have that, can we?

biggrin.png

Nope not true,,,, The Germans fit more into the frame. She has made a mistake,she means Germans . Thais like Germans ,and they are by far the worst, Bossy pushy etc Just look at the fxxx-up they have made with the EU.

With a name like Hertzburg,she is just another Ostie from the east with nothing more to do than put the people that really did fight for freedom down,thats all.

I spent a lot of time most years in Norway,and all I can say is they are Great friendly helpful. Great country. Germans!! well what can I say??

Danes are known to be more laid back than their two Scandinavian brothers. The Norwegians are the first to admit that and many go to Denmark during the summer holidays. That beer is cheaper in Denmark, might also be a contributing factor.

Yes and the Swedes too, well they take the ferry's over to Copenhagen in the weekends and gets hammered, real hammered.

The blond Swedish girls really lights up Copenhagen in the summer monthbiggrin.png

No wonder us Danes are more relaxed, because we had it all, quote:

”Danes”

The term ‘Danes’ dates back to Roman times and is the name of the tribe of people who lived in present-day Denmark and Norway (as well as southern Sweden). The first time the ‘Danes’ are mentioned is in accounts of the barbarian raids on Rome in the 5th century. There are also accounts of the ‘Kimbrer’ tribe that were a break-off tribe of the ‘Dani’ in earlier centuries, who wreaked havoc throughout Europe.

The term ‘Denmark’ is first mentioned in Frankish texts from the early 8th century and describes the area of present day Denmark, Norway, Iceland and southern Sweden. It means ‘The borderland of the Danes’ The term ‘Norway’ comes from the present-day word ‘Norge’, which again comes from the term ‘Nord Rige’ or ‘Nord Rike’ which means ‘The Realm to the North’.

‘Sweden’ is actually called ‘Sverige’, which comes from ‘Svea Rige’ or ‘Svea Rike’, which means ‘The Realm of Svea’. There is debate in historical circles as to whether ‘Svea’ was a man or a people, but the legends say that he was the brother of a Danish king ‘Dan’ who settled his own land to the east. The historical facts of this are doubtful.

Throughout Western Europe, the term ‘Danes’ was universally used to describe the raiders from Denmark and Norway. By the 10th century the Danes were feared throughout Europe.

The greatest of all the kings was Knud den Store (Canute the Great) whose kingdom rivalled that of many other great kings in Europe. His Empire consisted of Denmark, Norway, England, parts of Scotland, Iceland, southern Sweden, Faroe Islands, Shetland Islands, Greenland, northern France and parts of Northern Germany.

Quote ends.

http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/188206-Scandinavians-Norsemen-Vikings-Danes-Time-to-clear-this-up-once-and-for-all

Okay above only comes from a forum and one poster mention that Norway also controlled Denmark at some stage. I am no historical expert myself and I found most Norwegians/Swedes pretty laid back and relaxed people. thumbsup.gif

Edited by guzzi850m2

Danes are known to be more laid back than their two Scandinavian brothers. The Norwegians are the first to admit that and many go to Denmark during the summer holidays. That beer is cheaper in Denmark, might also be a contributing factor.

That beer is cheaper in Denmark, might also be a contributing factor.

post-9891-0-79201700-1442839751_thumb.pnthumbsup.gif

A study made by students in a Norwegian school , not sure how much you should believe in this,

But I agree that Danes can be more open and jovial than us Norwegians after a drink or 2......

But looking at the bar business in Pattaya , the Norwegian ones seem to be more popular among Thai staff , I wonder why ? Maybe because of good Norwegian customers who are filthy rich.

I spent a month working in Aalborg, Denmark in 2001.

Nice place. Nice people. 90% of the folks I met under 60 spoke great English.

Within about 3 days I was wishing I could be re-incarnated as a Danish bicycle seat. Some seriously pretty women there on bicycles all over the place.

Too bad such a nice country is located so far north. This Florida boy doesn't get along with cold weather very well, though it was January/February & milder than Chicago that time of year.

Every Norwegian & Swede I've ever met in Thailand seem to be really nice guys as well, though I've never been to those countries.

Soory I simply disagree....Norwegian gay guys are more slimer and sexier and cute looking than big or fat danes guys.

EDIT:-----------

I missed the gay part of this post I was replying to. Other than that I'll let it stand.

----------------------

My wife's cousin is married to a Norwegian. They've been married 20+ years w/ 3 kids.

He's a rather pudgy fellow, & loves his vodka while on vacation in Pattaya. Nice guy that parties down on vacation. They run a few restaurants in Norway from what I was able to gather.

She speaks Norwegian & English aside from Thai. Pretty sure she learned all that she knows from the University of Pattaya Bargirldom.

She's a good gal to him though & has lived in deep snow in Norway for a long time.

He'd invite me to sit around the pool with him & his Norwegian buddies & they started doing copious shots of vodka.

I can drink half a liter of vodka mixed with OJ, but they'd just do shots. I felt like a wuss. After 3 shots I'd be wanting to get sick.

Edited by jaywalker