Confirmed: New multiple entry tourist visa for Thailand available from November

webfact

Thanks but that mean every 60 days need to make border run ?

Probably be able to do a 30 day extension for 1900 b at immigration, therefore a border run after 90 days. Sounds pretty similar to the existing one but it more flexible for people toing and froing.

how is this any different to a DOUBLE ENTRY tourist Visa ?

double entry = 60 days + 30 days extension,

then BORDER RUN,,,

and then another 60 days + 30 days extension.

Total = 180 days = 6 momths !! COST = 2000 baht !!! (+ 2x Visa extensions costs)

Do I take it this new 6 month Visa INCLUDES the extension cost ?

if not, then its WORSE than the current Double Entry Method.

This visa is not about maximizing your stay in Thailand. It is a bout giving you the freedom to come and go in and out of Thailand as many times as you like in a 6 month period.

ok, I understand wink.png

this visa is perfect for anyone who travels a lot smile.png

But you cant just keep getting double entry visas. Thats the whole point. They are difficult to get and lead to red flags.

Therefore the 6 month visa is better because you don't have to worry about being kicked out of the country every 3 months, just every 6. Get it?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds good. However, will there be any problem on getting another one back to back from the nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate? This maybe the Thai way of giving with one hand and taking away with the other. Only time will tell.

Or will it be easy to get at all?

Last time i checked i could not even get a double entry visa, i only got one entry.

So let's hope issuing of the new visa is easier, otherwise it does not do me much good.

8 pages into this.

"Confirmed: New multiple entry tourist visa for Thailand available from November"

The only thing that is confirmed is that everybody is more confused than ever.

I don't know why it is so confusing. it is a multi entry version of the current tourist visa.

Not a hard concept to grasp surely.

8 pages into this.

"Confirmed: New multiple entry tourist visa for Thailand available from November"

I don't know why it is so confusing. it is a multi entry version of the current tourist visa.

Not quite.

The new visa allows you to stay in Thailand 6 months, but you need to cross a border every 60 days.

A current tourist visa allows a 2 month stay.

Get it?

8 pages into this.

Not quite.

The new visa allows you to stay in Thailand 6 months, but you need to cross a border every 60 days.

Get it?

Actually you made it more confusing and wrong than the previous poster. Regardless, it's a useless visa for many.

8 pages into this.

Not quite.

Get it?

Ok maybe I should add some more detail to my reply as the way I see it.

A single entry tourist visa typically has a validity of 3 months, this will allow you a single entry of up to 60 days(not 2 months).

A double (or triple if you can get) entry tourist visa typically has a validity of 6 months, this will allow you 2 (or 3) entries entry of up to 60 days per time(not 2 months).

A multiple entry tourist visa has a validity of 6 months, this will allow you to come and go as you please up to a maximum of 60 days per entry (not 2 months).

Not sure what people are struggling to understand.

If this new tourist visa is of no use to them then they are free to choose from any of the other options that are available (if they qualify of course).

8 pages into this.

Not quite.

Get it?

Actually you made it more confusing and wrong than the previous poster. Regardless, it's a useless visa for many.
"Useless visa for many" has to qualify for the most facile comment of the thread award?

I will concede however that it is totally useless for those wishing to visit Europe....

8 pages into this.

Not quite.

Get it?

Geez. Such a simple concept. So much confusion. NO - it DOES NOT "allow you stay in Thailand for six months", any more than the current double-entry or triple-entry tourist visas do. Six months is just the validity. The new ME Tourist Visa gives you the exact same 60d entry (extendable by 30d) that a DE or TE tourist visa would, but instead of double- or triple-entry, it's unlimited-entry. It actually and precisely IS a multi-entry version of the current SE, DE, and TE tourist visas. Precisely that - you can't describe it any more clearly than that.

You could "say" that it allows you to "stay for 6 months" by "crossing a border every 60 days" with it, but that's not "staying", and precisely the same could be said of a triple-entry tourist visa (which would be a bit cheaper), or even a double-entry visa if you get the extensions (assuming they also have 6mo validities).

The limited six-month validity takes what would've been a great idea and indeed WOULD have set it apart, and puts the spoiler to it.

It's a great idea.

Wonder if any other country in the region will follow suite.

edit: Apart from Cambodia. Post #156 says Cambodian e-visa extension gives multiple entries. But presumably the e-visa (even with extension) is not a 6-month visa.

Post 156 is not clear, confusing Cambodia's self-titled e-visa program (online application for a Tourist visa) with an Ordinary (business) visa whose visa serial numbers start with the letter E. You can buy the Ordinary at the airport on arrival. Further, you have to be in-country to get the 30-day Ordinary visa extended via a travel shop. Of these extensions, only 6-month and 12-month Ordinary visas are multi-entry. (A normal Tourist visa of 30 days is extendable only once inside the country.)

8 pages into this.

Not quite.

Get it?

Geez. Such a simple concept. So much confusion. NO - it DOES NOT "allow you stay in Thailand for six months", any more than the current double-entry or triple-entry tourist visas do. Six months is just the validity. The new ME Tourist Visa gives you the exact same 60d entry (extendable by 30d) that a DE or TE tourist visa would, but instead of double- or triple-entry, it's unlimited-entry. It actually and precisely IS a multi-entry version of the current SE, DE, and TE tourist visas. Precisely that - you can't describe it any more clearly than that.

You could "say" that it allows you to "stay for 6 months" by "crossing a border every 60 days" with it, but that's not "staying", and precisely the same could be said of a triple-entry tourist visa (which would be a bit cheaper), or even a double-entry visa if you get the extensions (assuming they also have 6mo validities).

The limited six-month validity takes what would've been a great idea and indeed WOULD have set it apart, and puts the spoiler to it.

For many people these days on a tourist visa having to cross a border is a non-issue. They just want to get the visa at all!

In case you have not heard, there has been a crackdown on back to back tourist visas. That means this new 6-month visa allows someone a guaranteed "stay" of 6-months without worrying about not getting back in for more then 15 or 30 days. They can "stay" because the entry is guaranteed and not subject to rejection by an immigration official issuing new visas. Your being real technical saying it does not allow a "stay" just because it requires a border hop. Point is I would not have to worry about getting back in and that's the important point here. Not some dictionary definition debate over words.

Any visa that has a chance of being issued easier then double and triple entry visas currently are is most welcome.

Not quite.

Get it?

For many people these days on a tourist visa having to cross a border is a non-issue. They just want to get the visa at all!

In case you have not heard, there has been a crackdown on back to back tourist visas. That means this new 6-month visa allows someone a guaranteed "stay" of 6-months without worrying about not getting back in for more then 15 or 30 days. They can "stay" because the entry is guaranteed and not subject to rejection by an immigration official issuing new visas. Your being real technical saying it does not allow a "stay" just because it requires a border hop. Point is I would not have to worry about getting back in and that's the important point here. Not some dictionary definition debate over words.

Any visa that has a chance of being issued easier then double and triple entry visas currently are is most welcome.

What are you talking about. doing a border bounce on this multi tourist visa will be no different to doing a border bounce on a double or triple entry tourist visa.

If there is a clamp down on tourist visa's and being denied re-entry this multi one guarantees nothing.

sounds to me like you are confusing yourself with tourist visa and visa exempt.

Not quite.

Get it?

What are you talking about. doing a border bounce on this multi tourist visa will be no different to doing a border bounce on a double or triple entry tourist visa.

If there is a clamp down on tourist visa's and being denied re-entry this multi one guarantees nothing.

sounds to me like you are confusing yourself with tourist visa and visa exempt.

I have never heard someone being denied re-entry with a visa in hand, have you?

This is a welcome new visa because it's probably going to be easier to get then a double or triple entry visa.

I tried for a triple entry in the usa and did not even get it. If they gave out the double and triple entries regularly i would just opt for that. No significant difference for me.

The new 6-month visa will allow someone to "stay in Thailand 6-months with a border hop every 60 days".

Is that language technically correct now? Remember if you enter and exit on the same day it can still be 6-months so be sure to specify the hour when responding.

@Kaoboi Bebobp:

Post 156 is not clear, confusing Cambodia's self-titled e-visa program (online application for a Tourist visa) with an Ordinary (business) visa whose visa serial numbers start with the letter E. You can buy the Ordinary at the airport on arrival. Further, you have to be in-country to get the 30-day Ordinary visa extended via a travel shop. Of these extensions, only 6-month and 12-month Ordinary visas are multi-entry. (A normal Tourist visa of 30 days is extendable only once inside the country.)

The Ordinary Cambodian Visa (formerly known as Business Visa), the Visa's starting with the letter E, the visa that is available on arrival for certain (most) passport holders on arrival, can be extended indefinitely (from within Cambodia of course). So, before the extension expires, you can extend it again without having to leave Cambodia, according to the source below:

http://www.movetocambodia.com/planning-your-move-to-cambodia/cambodia-visas/

Source above also advise to go for the 6,12month extensions as it gives the flexibility of multiple entries.

Of these extensions, only 6-month and 12-month Ordinary visas are multi-entry. (A normal Tourist visa of 30 days is extendable only once inside the country.)

The web link I have quoted says:

Once you have your first 30-day ordinary visa for Cambodia, you can extend it from inside the country for 1, 3, 6, or 12 months. It’s advisable to extend it for 6 or 12 months, as these visa types are multiple-entry. The 1- and 3-month ordinary visas are single-entry only, meaning that if you leave for a weekend trip to Vietnam, you’ll need to get a new Cambodian visa when you return.

So, according to the above, a 30-day ordinary visa only becomes multiple entry once its extended for 6 or 12 months.

There is no mention of a 6-month or 12-month Ordinary visa. Only 6-month and 12-month ordinary visa extensions.

edit: The source below discusses a Tourist visa purchased at a travel shop for 6 or 12 months, they mean an extension to the current business (ordinary) visa, not a fresh visa. We need to differentiate between visa and extension. Surely, they are not the same. I mean, can someone actually purchase a visa from a travel shop?

http://www.howtogotocambodia.com/visa-for-cambodia/

...purchase a Regular Visa (also referred to as "Business Visa") upon re-entry. A Regular Visa, good for 30 days stay, costs US$40.00 only. There are Regular Visas, good for 3 months, 6 months and up to one year, that you can purchase, later, through reliable visa agents within Cambodia when you are already a Regular Visa holder.[/size]

A visa allows you to enter a country. You cannot buy another visa inside the country because you are already there. But you can buy an extension through a travel shop (they send it to immigration). However, at a travel shop you can buy a visa inside Cambodia for another country (they send your passport to the appropriate embassy). Which seems obvious to say but indeed, people need to know the difference.

A visa allows you to enter a country. You cannot buy another visa inside the country because you are already there. But you can buy an extension through a travel shop (they send it to immigration). However, at a travel shop you can buy a visa inside Cambodia for another country (they send your passport to the appropriate embassy). Which seems obvious to say but indeed, people need to know the difference.

Why would you pay a travel shop to get you an extension ?

Why would you pay a travel shop to get you an extension ?

Speed, convenience, and peace of mind apparently:

See this link: (quote below - they are talking about going direct to immigration to extend)

Everyone who’s tried it this way recommends against it, though. The process can take ages,.....

Also check out:

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293939-i9162-k4529150-Tourist_Visa_Extension-Cambodia.html

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/asia-south-east-asia-mainland/topics/extension-of-cambodia-tourist-visa-in-phnom-penh-diy

edit: peace of mind...as in to remain sane or keep your sanity intact, according to one source above.

It sounds good. However, will there be any problem on getting another one back to back from the nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate? This maybe the Thai way of giving with one hand and taking away with the other. Only time will tell.

Or will it be easy to get at all?

Last time i checked i could not even get a double entry visa, i only got one entry.

So let's hope issuing of the new visa is easier, otherwise it does not do me much good.

i could not even get a double entry visa, i only got one entry.

where ? what embassy only gave you one entry?

This visa won't sell very well considering every time you cross the border there is a full page of your passport gone.

Your passport must be very small, an arrival or departure stamp does not take up a full page in my passport, do you think that they will put a new Visa stamp every time you cross a border?

No but the visa on arrival in Laos/Cambodia will take a full page

Lots of people stay in Thailand for only 60 days. They won't go to immigration 'for an extension' and they won't ever do a visa run - they just go home before the 60 days are up. They book their flights and accomodation well in advance based on the 60 days which are allowed.

Immigration should wake up to this fact and allow people to enter for 90 to 120 days at a time, I'm sure they would see an increase in the number of tourists staying longer instead of just going home at the end of their 60 days.

Obviously I'm not talking about people who are doing visa runs and living here, I'm talking about people who come for part of the winter.

I know people who will never go to immigration to get extensions and do visa runs, they just go home before the stamp runs out. It's all booked up before they come, they read about the maximum 60 day stay and they stay for 60 days or less. If they read 90 or 120 days then I'm pretty sure a percentage of them would stay for longer. Of course I don't know what this percentage is but it could be significant. Even a few percent of longer winter stayers could have a trickle down affect across the entire tourist industry.

It's no coincidence that my mother who's coming again this winter is staying for about 58 days this time. She's booked the flight and accomodation already and is sticking to the published limit.

Another point is, many longer term ( NOT permanent) tourists are forced to sign 12 month condo leases, when they might only want to stay a part of the year.

Since they pay hefty deposits (20-30k) this is another nice windfall when the farang leaves early.

The condo owners can pocket the deposit and rent out the appartment to someone else.

After the initial 6 months stay, why not grant another double entry at Chaengwattana, based on the codo lease document?

The foriegner has shown he is self sufficient and the condo deposit in some cases can sometimes be the same as what some nationalities are asked to show on entering (30k)

Another point is, many longer term ( NOT permanent) tourists are forced to sign 12 month condo leases, when they might only want to stay a part of the year.

Since they pay hefty deposits (20-30k) this is another nice windfall when the farang leaves early.

The condo owners can pocket the deposit and rent out the appartment to someone else.

After the initial 6 months stay, why not grant another double entry at Chaengwattana, based on the codo lease document?

The foriegner has shown he is self sufficient and the condo deposit in some cases can sometimes be the same as what some nationalities are asked to show on entering (30k)

How many genuine tourists sign a condo lease though ?

The person you are describing to me is not a tourist.

How many genuine tourists sign a condo lease though ?

The person you are describing to me is not a tourist.

Rediculous...Many people the world over own holiday homes abroad, myself included.

If they stay any length of time in their HH are they no longer tourists. Are they illegal immigrants.

What would be the differance between owning or renting a holiday home.

The world moved on a long time ago from a fortnight in the Costa Del Sol.

Wow. we have gone from leasing a condo to owning a home, that's quiet the leap but feasible.

How many "tourists" actually stay in their holiday homes for more than 6 months at a time, do they not have commitments at home (like a job), or are they retired (hello retirement visa).

My point being people take time out of life at an age when they're passed the backpacking point.

They wish to go somewhere, sit, relax & take in the culture for an extended period before returning to their life.

I meet them every so often.

I'd define them as tourists.

I have a home in Thailand, spend the majority of my year, not necessarily at the house, but in Thailand, between the family home in Lao & the UK. I class myself as a tourist.

What else am I? My family home is in Lao, my home is in the UK & my holiday home is in Thailand.

The lines are blurred now days.

Wow. we have gone from leasing a condo to owning a home, that's quiet the leap but feasible.

How many "tourists" actually stay in their holiday homes for more than 6 months at a time, do they not have commitments at home (like a job), or are they retired (hello retirement visa).

It's 2015, people can work online for themselves or remotely for an internet company.

The word 'job' belongs to an ancestral realm of overalls, chisels and spades.

Plenty of them stay 6 months to avoid the coldest months back home.

This goes back to the post earlier saying the word 'tourist' should really be replaced with 'visitor' in line with other countries.

Then if Thailand has a problem with long stay visitors, they are welcome to impose limits. So far there is no official limit on back to back tourist Visas from Vientiane, when showing proof of income, residence, changing your passport to a new one for a 'clean slate', and so on. People stay for decades doing that.

If Thailand hasn't imposed any limits, and still calls it a Tourist visa, then yes, someone staying for years is de facto a tourist, regardless of anyone else's opinions on the matter.

Amazing all the comments, and mainly they are coming NOT from genuine tourists, but from long stay individuals

Immigration needs to define tourist, and exclude long stays from using it

There are retirement and marriage visa extensions

There are working visa for school teachers etc

There is the Investment visa

There is the elite card

You can choose from quite a generous list but long stay should not be using tourist

Thai Immigration needs to completely drop the word 'Tourist' from any visa classifications. It is arcane and in this day and age, totally redundant. Most countries subscribe to a non-immigrant "Visitor" visa and sub-categories for business, investor, education, work, etc.. Clinging to this 'Tourist' label shows how myopic their whole view on the rapidly changing, totally dynamic nature of international travel and migration.

It would also serve to shut down the noisome debates that erupt frequently on TV between the pontifical over-50's that qualify for some form of domicile here and the younger, more mobile traveler, squatter, digital pikey, who can't retire, don't want to get married, invest or pay taxes, etc..

Exactly, why can't an under 50 show x amount of money in the bank (Thai or Foreign) and get the same visa. It's ageist in my opinion

I often asked the same question, that it exists for a 50 year old but not a 49 yo.

Basically Thailand tell you when you can retire if you want to qualify for a retirement visa

Common sense has just gone straight over the top.

Archived