Confirmed: New multiple entry tourist visa for Thailand available from November

webfact

Confirmed: New multiple entry tourist visa for Thailand available from November

tv.jpg

File photo. Source: Internet

BANGKOK: Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has confirmed that a new multiple entry tourist visa will be available from 13 November 2015.

The announcement, made via the Ministry’s Facebook page reads:

Thailand will soon grant multiple-entry visas to visitors to facilitate the forthcoming ASEAN Community and to boost Thailand’s tourism industry.

The multiple-entry tourist visa (METV), costing 5,000 baht, will grant travelers multiple entries during a 6-month period, for up to 60 days per entry.

All foreign nationals are eligible to apply for METV.

Thailand’s METV will be available from 13th November 2015.

This new multiple entry tourist visa was first announced back in August but was officially confirmed earlier this week following its publication in the Government Gazette.

Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs

tvn.png
-- 2015-09-22

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully more details will come out shortly as to the requirements to apply for it.

But I would not expect to be able to apply for one on the 13th of November at an embassy or consulate. I think it will take awhile before that can be done.

Thanks but that mean every 60 days need to make border run ?

This will probably turn into a 26 page thread, but my best guess is that a 2 month tourist visa means you can stay for 2 months, whereas before, one had to exit the country on the same tourist visa & re-enter after 30 days...on the same visa...but only if you had a re-entry permit, which to this day, 16 years in & out of Thailand I have never bothered to figure out.

I used to do border runs Pattaya to Koh Kong on a big bike or mostly by car 2001 - 2004. It was cool, as it gave me an excuse to spend a weekend on Koh Chang.

Never had more than a 30 day visa-exempt stamp, but flew out a lot for business. Happiest days of my life.

I have been using the marriage Non-O for a long time, but it's expired.

This is cool news indeed for me & lots of folks.

I think thats a significant improvement in the right direction now the sixty day reporting should be eliminated for their convenience, I dont think its a good Idea to have visitors leave the country your trying to get them to spend their money in. In an Ideal Immigration policy a year visa with no reporting should be available to visitors so they can but properties with very little risk and interference From Immigration police. A truly ideal situation would be no visa no real reason for one nowdays with high speed internet and electronic Passports. Pretty out dated system ....Just sayin

And this is supposed to be groundbreaking change? It is the same as the current triple entry visa, just more expensive because of the multiple entries that almost none needs. I doubt many will do it differently from the current triple entry visas (stay 2 months, do one extension for 1900, and then make a visa run).

Amazing all the comments, and mainly they are coming NOT from genuine tourists, but from long stay individuals

Immigration needs to define tourist, and exclude long stays from using it

There are retirement and marriage visa extensions

There are working visa for school teachers etc

There is the Investment visa

There is the elite card

You can choose from quite a generous list but long stay should not be using tourist

This sounds to me very similar to the current triple-entry tourist visa, except it costs 2000 Baht more and has multiple entries not 3 entries.

The 3-entry tourist visa disappeared from many countries long ago. You're lucky ti still be able to get one.

I think this visa is for those who frequently travel between Thailand and other country(ies) and used to use the visa exemption way. They can now get a proper visa and no need of a re-entry-permit.

And no, it's not a solution for those who want live here as a "permanent tourist". For them, see post above wink.png

This sounds to me very similar to the current triple-entry tourist visa, except it costs 2000 Baht more and has multiple entries not 3 entries.

Indeed, how is this really different to that? Currently you can get the 6-month tourist visa and get 60 days stay and go in and out 3x. For those wanting to stay 60 days at a time, being able to go in and out more than 3x within 6 months is a non-issue.

Someone at immigration will have this "Oh yea..." moment within the next few months.....

Amazing all the comments, and mainly they are coming NOT from genuine tourists, but from long stay individuals

There is the elite card

You can choose from quite a generous list but long stay should not be using tourist

Tourist definition - a person who is travelling or visiting a place for pleasure.

There is no mention of time in any definition of the word 'tourist'. If you are under 50, not working in Thailand and do not want to be involved in the 'elite' card scam then there are not too many alternatives.

Why can a person not be a tourist for 10/20 years??

It's not as if there are generous benefits from the welfare system to gorge on.

The 3-entry tourist visa disappeared from many countries long ago. You're lucky ti still be able to get one.

I think this visa is for those who frequently travel between Thailand and other country(ies) and used to use the visa exemption way. They can now get a proper visa and no need of a re-entry-permit.

And no, it's not a solution for those who want live here as a "permanent tourist". For them, see post above wink.png

I get my triple-entry tourist visa from the Liverpool Thai consulate every six months. Believe me, it is still very much alive.

But I take your point, locally, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, triple-entries have not been available for years.

My view is this is a revenue-raising strategy (and why not!!) which reduces administrative costs for immigration and embassies, dressed up as something wonderful.

In/Out offshore workers who always use visa exemptions will continue with that. They never have their passports in their hand for any length of time, always getting visas for Venezuela and Saudi, etc.

There is the elite card

Thai Immigration needs to completely drop the word 'Tourist' from any visa classifications. It is arcane and in this day and age, totally redundant. Most countries subscribe to a non-immigrant "Visitor" visa and sub-categories for business, investor, education, work, etc.. Clinging to this 'Tourist' label shows how myopic their whole view on the rapidly changing, totally dynamic nature of international travel and migration.

It would also serve to shut down the noisome debates that erupt frequently on TV between the pontifical over-50's that qualify for some form of domicile here and the younger, more mobile traveler, squatter, digital pikey, who can't retire, don't want to get married, invest or pay taxes, etc..

There is the elite card

Thai Immigration needs to completely drop the word 'Tourist' from any visa classifications. It is arcane and in this day and age, totally redundant. Most countries subscribe to a non-immigrant "Visitor" visa and sub-categories for business, investor, education, work, etc.. Clinging to this 'Tourist' label shows how myopic their whole view on the rapidly changing, totally dynamic nature of international travel and migration.

It would also serve to shut down the noisome debates that erupt frequently on TV between the pontifical over-50's that qualify for some form of domicile here and the younger, more mobile traveler, squatter, digital pikey, who can't retire, don't want to get married, invest or pay taxes, etc..

Exactly, why can't an under 50 show x amount of money in the bank (Thai or Foreign) and get the same visa. It's ageist in my opinion

No,, not, "have" to,,, if it's like the other's,, you stay 60,,, then go to immigrations,,, apply for a 30 days extension,,, when that expires,, you THEN have to leave/return,, which activates the 2nd 60,, then extend another 30 on top of that,,,

These rules are inflexible.

Are you the judge if I am a tourist or not?

I just want to stay in TH and stay at the beach/eat great food and live in peace until I die.

Am I a tourist according to you?

If so: Give me a tourist visa for the rest of my life.

Officially I am retied but I can't get a retirement visa in TH since they have a strange age rule.

Why won't TH government do exemptions for people who can prove that they are retired?

I personally bring in 1.2-1.5 million THB to the thai economy. I think that is better for TH than some tourist.

Imagine if TH scares away 1000 people like me. That is an impact of 150 million THB.

TH should see us as an asset. Not "evil people" who really are not "tourists".

There is the elite card

I would expect that you could go to Immigration and get a 30 day extension on each 60 day entry.

I can't imagine they'd want to lose out on the 1900 THB fees for extensions.

But like all other Multi Entry Visas, you will need to leave every 90 days in that case.

-----------------------------------------

Not necessarily.

Could be an option to get a 30 day extension on that 60 day entry for same 1900 Baht fee as now is true on single entry tourist visa.

Fact is, we just don't know now, as details not released yet.

As always, "the devil is in the details", and we don't have those details yet.

I hope multiple means more than just 3 times. It would be great for us bikers who would like to be able to go into Laos, Burma and Cambodia for short side trips whenever we wanted.

To me it sounds like this is exactly what it is designed for...

There is the elite card

Call it what you want, the more Thai than Thai will still argue the point. They think (and want to be) the only ones elligable to he here, since they have had to suffer the pain of getting duped into marriages to stay here.

I dont much care what they say...

As far as im concerned, as long as i remain a citizen of my own country

(and classed as resident for tax therein)

I WILL ALWAYS be a tourist in another country

As long as ones own country does not define specific timelimes spent away, whereby changing my classification.. as far as i am concerned i can come and go as often as i please!

old disgruntled sense of entitlement whingers...

kiss my butt!

Archived