Passports: Keep them on you, or leave them at home?

SamDean

I have never been a fan of taking my passport out and about with me while in any country outside of the one I was born in. I always have photos of my passport, visa, and any other necessary proof to my legitimacy for being in the country I am in on my phone. This has never been a problem, but as people are getting hassled while out for a drink and brought to the police station for not having theirs, I am rethinking.

My apprehension however is that I can keep my passport nice and safe at home. I am not a forgetful or scatter brained person. I don't expect that if I have my passport on me, that I am certain to lose it. But that is why they're called accidents (to quote my mother). I left my iPhone in a cab in Bangkok 2-3 years ago, and didn't expect that to happen. A passport would be a hell of a lot harder to replace.

Thoughts?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the requirement is to produce valid documents when requested to do so, ie: to produce them at the required station/office in a reasonable time, not to carry them on your person at all times.

I certainly dont and never have, (with the exception of my driving licence).

All of those are older than recent escalations in security, and Thailands concerns regarding foreigners.

I did the search, and wasn't satisfied.

Having a British passport and living in the north of Thailand I prefer to play it safe and leave the thing at home.

I know we are meant to carry it around with us at all times, but if my passport gets damaged, stolen or lost, it would mean to nightmarish trips to Bangkok for me. I decided that risking being pulled up without my passport at hand, is the lesser of the 2 evils.

I decided the safest place is hidden in your room. I'm an expert at hiding things in rooms but I'm not going to give details here.

The danger is that its easy to forget if your in hotels and i have had to backtrack and retrieve it when another guest was in the room a couple times.

If you do carry it with you carry it in your wallet. The passport books are hard to feel and seem to slip out of pockets pretty easy.

Edited by fey

Small suggestion to those who do not wish to carry passports and have an iPhone or smart phone. Take photos of the principal pages of your passport on the phone including the one with your current visa and put them in an album named "Documents" or similar. When asked to produce (as I have been done by police and business outlets) I show them the high quality pictures. Never had a problem.

Where the OP says he's never been a fan of taking his passport out and about with him while in any country outside of the one he was born in.

Personally I don't think I have ever needed or used my passport, inside the country that I was born in, asides from using it at International Airports.

I have photos of the relevant pages of my passport on my mobile phone and just in case I end up in a situation where I don't have that to hand, I have also stored the same pictures on Dropbox (cloud storage) where I can access them from any device with an Internet connection. Remembering to update the pictures every time I enter the country is my only failing if I'm travelling overseas numerous times in a short period.

A photocopy of my passport and immigration stamp is carried in my wallet.

It's a grey area and has been discussed at length many times. Best to read previous posts, but they are filled with lots of "I've been here 95 years and never had to show my passport". Which doesn't really address the legal aspects of this.

Police need to make sure you are in the country legally. The only way to do that is to see the visa stamp in your passport. A driver's license won't work, generally. Sometimes, a copy of your passport and visa stamp will suffice. Other times, it won't. But even then, you are generally required to be able to produce the original within an acceptable amount of time. And therein lies the rub. That amount of time is up to the discretion of the official on the scene.

There was a raid on a local bar here in Pattaya a few months ago. Those with their passport or copies of their passport were let go. Those with nothing were taken to jail until they could produce something. Not an experience I'd want to have. And no passport generally within 24 hours and you're shipped off to Bangkok.

I carry a laminated copy of the passport and stamp in my wallet at all times. The original is in the safe in my house. If I travel outside town, I always take my passport with me. Never leave home without it. Just not worth the risk.

With all this being said, I've been here almost 15 years and have never had to show my passport. Though I have some friends who have had to, most were shaken down somewhere along Sukhumvit or in bars here in Pattaya. Pure shakedowns.

Though recently, some hotels are demanding to see the passport during check in. Some take my DL, others don't. Things are changing here. Best to be prepared. Which is relatively easy to do.

I decided the safest place is hidden in your room. I'm an expert at hiding things in rooms but I'm not going to give details here.

The danger is that its easy to forget if your in hotels and i have had to backtrack and retrieve it when another guest was in the room a couple times.

If you do carry it with you carry it in your wallet. The passport books are hard to feel and seem to slip out of pockets pretty easy.

Years ago in a hotel i picked up the TV to place my passport there. There was one already there! 2 years out of date! Well hidden, but i wonder what happened to the owner.

Given the waffling of this government and not ever knowing what one hand or the other is doing, I just made a good color copy of my passport picture page and the extend to date page.

I will never carry my passport given there is too much chance for me to lose it or get it stolen or even washing it in the washing machine. Any police who do not accept the copy and driver's license, which I also have, is just out to get money from you. At the very least they should allow you to produce the real thing if they want to go that far, but no fine should ever be collected if you have a driver's license and a good copy of your passport. It takes no extra effort to carry a copy of the passport with you so why wouldn't a person do that.

You could also do what some people do and go to a Kodak shop and have them reduce and laminate your passport onto a card the size of a driver's license and carry it just like an ATM card.

Years ago in a hotel i picked up the TV to place my passport there. There was one already there! 2 years out of date! Well hidden, but i wonder what happened to the owner.

Re the finding a passport below the tv. I'm always afraid I'll leave something in the hotel room safe, therefore whenever I use it I put one shoe inside along with the valuables. I'm confident that I'll never pack my luggage with a shoe missing.

yes I always travel with at least one extra set of footwear

When I was in Thailand I almost always carried my U.S. passport. When an ID is needed - e.g. at guest houses and banks the passport is the most acceptable ID.

The one time I got stopped by a cop - for stupidly making an illegal right turn against a Red Light - and was then carrying one of those miniature laminated photos of the main pages, that the visa companies give you free and claim it is legally accepted - he was blunt and to the point. No! He would not accept this thing, he demanded the real deal. I had the passport still - in a handy pocket inside the bush hat that I use when I travel (Tilley hat, made of hemp and guaranteed theoretically for life.).

He took my passport and told me to go to the local police station and pay the Bt500 fine and come back with the receipt to collect my passport.

IMO why not carry the passport, inside a plastic pouch inside a pocket inside your hat? I feel it is safer with me than hidden in a room or house where something could happen to it when you are not around.

That is just Thailand. Guess it just depends. I haven't been in Thailand for over 10 years, but some things can ruin it. Actually it was nephew of mine, yes and in the RTP one night got drunk, and started threatening me about my passport. Unfortunately, some of them have an ego problem. I just told him to F-off... So the next morning told to wife to pack her things, and we left the village. But I did inform them, I would never return. And I haven't, and never will. Thailand needs to wake up!

That trip was also to plan a retirement home, I have been always respectful of Thailand, but some how over 30 years they have changed so much. wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

When I was in Thailand I almost always carried my U.S. passport. When an ID is needed - e.g. at guest houses and banks the passport is the most acceptable ID.

The one time I got stopped by a cop - for stupidly making an illegal right turn against a Red Light - and was then carrying one of those miniature laminated photos of the main pages, that the visa companies give you free and claim it is legally accepted - he was blunt and to the point. No! He would not accept this thing, he demanded the real deal. I had the passport still - in a handy pocket inside the bush hat that I use when I travel (Tilley hat, made of hemp and guaranteed theoretically for life.).

He took my passport and told me to go to the local police station and pay the Bt500 fine and come back with the receipt to collect my passport.

IMO why not carry the passport, inside a plastic pouch inside a pocket inside your hat? I feel it is safer with me than hidden in a room or house where something could happen to it when you are not around.

Because ...to prevent someone to take your passport and keep it hostage....until you pay ...

If he doesn't accept the copy... tough luck for him... what is he going to do ?

My hat blew off on Mt Everest once,never to be seen again!!!!

Buy and fit a small safe at home cost about 1600 baht, carry a good photocopy with you.

I did the same, but bought a safe to fit my tablet, and the wife's little red gold bag. All my papers go into it. Payed about 5,500 baht, at one of those Office Supply shops. Some might find that pricey, but gives you peace of mind. Installed it myself, dynabolts into the floor.

Immigration chops and changes on this subject. The law states that you must carry your passport at all times. Bars have been raided with the sole purpose of getting money from Farangs that don't have their passport, sometimes they will let you go back home to collect it sometimes they won't.

My wife insisted on keeping it in her handbag until a guy tried to take it off her, I was walking in front and managed to give the guy a push. So now it's a photocopy and driving license. If they want to put you down, they'll put you down no matter how many documents you have with you.

It's a grey area and has been discussed at length many times. Best to read previous posts, but they are filled with lots of "I've been here 95 years and never had to show my passport". Which doesn't really address the legal aspects of this.

Police need to make sure you are in the country legally. The only way to do that is to see the visa stamp in your passport. A driver's license won't work, generally. Sometimes, a copy of your passport and visa stamp will suffice. Other times, it won't. But even then, you are generally required to be able to produce the original within an acceptable amount of time. And therein lies the rub. That amount of time is up to the discretion of the official on the scene.

There was a raid on a local bar here in Pattaya a few months ago. Those with their passport or copies of their passport were let go. Those with nothing were taken to jail until they could produce something. Not an experience I'd want to have. And no passport generally within 24 hours and you're shipped off to Bangkok.

I carry a laminated copy of the passport and stamp in my wallet at all times. The original is in the safe in my house. If I travel outside town, I always take my passport with me. Never leave home without it. Just not worth the risk.

With all this being said, I've been here almost 15 years and have never had to show my passport. Though I have some friends who have had to, most were shaken down somewhere along Sukhumvit or in bars here in Pattaya. Pure shakedowns.

Though recently, some hotels are demanding to see the passport during check in. Some take my DL, others don't. Things are changing here. Best to be prepared. Which is relatively easy to do.

A "tourist" visa would need 2 copies every 3 months. I would lose interest after a while but that's just me