tourist visa to Retirement visa question Sept 2015

Hi Guys

I am currently in Pattaya, with a 60 day single entry tourist visa, (59 left) I am over 50 and have over 800k in the bank in Thailand (for a few years) can anyone advise the latest process to convert this tourist visa to a retirement? I know things are constantly changing and was thinking of using an agent for the paperwork as long as totally legal so any recommendations there would be appreciated also.

have a great weekend

S

I don't recommend an agent.

Anyway, you're not going to get a "retirement visa" in Thailand, but here is what you're going to get:

Step 1: Change of status CONVERSION of your tourist visa to a 90 day O visa which last I heard you can apply for at Jomtien, but they will need to send the paperwork to Bangkok, so allow time for that. That O visa is not a retirement visa.

You will need to show them the banked money for Step 1 AND Step 2. Typically with copy of passbook and very fresh immigration letter from your Thai bank. So you'll need that two times.

Step 2: Once you've got that O visa in your passport, during the last 30 days of your new O visa, apply for an annual extension of stay based on retirement at Jomtien. Your 800K will qualify you. First extension two months seasoning needed. That annual extension is not a retirement visa.

Paperwork should not be a problem. They have staff at the office who will literally walk you through filling out forms.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The common mistake here is the reference "Retirement Visa", as stated above, what you need is "an extension of stay based on Retirement".

"A Retirement Visa O-A" is applied for in your home country. An extension based on retirement is applied for whilst in Thailand.

Two totally different things with different requirements.

• Like 2

To add to the fun, it seems most immigration offices call extensions retirement visas as well! But, they're wrong. Obviously an extension is not remotely the same thing as a visa.

Bizarre, I know.

I think the most immigration officers have just given up trying to explain the difference!

I do know one senior immigration officer who if asked directly for a "retirement visa" will respond by saying such a visa is not available in Thailand.

• Like 1

Let's see that stamp.

I've seen Retirement stamped on retirement extensions which makes perfect sense, but have not seen a stamp saying retirement visa on extensions.

Not saying that couldn't or didn't happen, just that I've never seen it, so I'm skeptical.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

You can apply for a change of visa status to obtain a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. You can apply for it at any time between today to the date when you only have 15 days remaining on your 60 day entry.. Your application will be sent to Bangkok for approval and you will have tor return after about 15 days to get your visa/entry stamps.

You will use a TM86 form to apply for it and the fee is 2000 baht. You will need proof of the money in bank by way of a letter from your bank and updated copies of your bank book. You will also need proof of residence.

If your money has been in the bank for 60 days on the date you go back for the stamps there are reports that Jomtien immigration will do your extension at the same time instead of you having to wait until the last 30 days.

• Like 1

You can apply for a change of visa status to obtain a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. You can apply for it at any time between today to the date when you only have 15 days remaining on your 60 day entry.. Your application will be sent to Bangkok for approval and you will have tor return after about 15 days to get your visa/entry stamps.

You will use a TM86 form to apply for it and the fee is 2000 baht. You will need proof of the money in bank by way of a letter from your bank and updated copies of your bank book. You will also need proof of residence.

If your money has been in the bank for 60 days on the date you go back for the stamps there are reports that Jomtien immigration will do your extension at the same time instead of you having to wait until the last 30 days.

Ubonjoe - thank you for the information, I own a condo would a copy of chanote do for proof of residence or would they require something more? I will report back once I have started the process - thanks to all.

S