3.7 million farming households to be affected by stringent water management next year

webfact

An estimated 3.7 million farming households to be affected by stringent water management next year

2111-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- About 3.7 million farming households and 10 million rai of rice farm land will be affected by drought next year which will be much worse and render rice farming almost impossible due to water shortage, according to Mr Suthep Noipairoj, deputy director-general of Royal Irrigation Department.

Despite the anticipated severe drought, he said that the cabinet has not officially announced a ban of rice farming next year. Nevertheless, he suggested that farmers should stop rice farming next year because of the high risk that their crops will be ruined due to lack of water to feed their farm land.

Without a farming ban imposed by the cabinet, Mr Suthep admitted that irrigation officials would face an uphill task of having to explain to the farmers why they should not start rice cultivation and to seek their cooperation.

By the end of the rainy season in the next 4-5 weeks and with little hope for more storms to bring in more rains, it was estimated that there will be a combined total of 3,677 million cubic metres of water stored in the country’s four main dams.

The estimated volumns of water in the four main dams by November 1 are as follows: 900 millon cubic metres at Bhumibol dam; 1,700-1,800 million cubic metres at Sirikit dam; 900 million cubic metres at Pasak Cholasit and Kwaenoi Bamrungdaen dams.

The water distribution plan during the dry season form November 1-next April 30 is as follows: 1,100 million cubic metres for consumption; 1,400 million cubic metres to maintain ecological balance; 1,000 million cubic metres as reserves with the remaining, 177 million cubic metres for sugarcanes and fruit plants.

Mr Suthep said that the department would shut down all the 355 water pumping stations for agricultural purpose during the dry season. Also, the other 207 water pumping stations operated by local administration organizations will pump water for consumption only, he added.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/an-estimated-3-7-million-farming-households-to-be-affected-by-stringent-water-management-next-year

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-25

Next year will be worse but there will be an improvement in 2017.

Just my personal opinion backed up by watching and studying the local weather up here in Khampaeng Phet province over the last few years.

I do hope that I am wrong about next year though.

Meanwhile they will waste 4 billion cubic meters of water in Pattaya over a stupidly long 10 day Songkran festival next April most likely.

Water, water everywhere, but not a drop for splashing?

Reminds me of Gilligan's Island.

If Pattaya Beach wasn't so polluted they could use salt water for splashing.

Edited by jaywalker

The arguments have long been raging about how viable rice farming is as a small scale economic venture given the levels of debt among many of Thailand's farmers.

Given the apparent increase in the frequency and intensity of droughts that has to put rice farming - a fairly water intensive form of agriculture - further under the microscope. And if the farmers follow Mr. Sutheps advice and stop farming for all of next year, or the majority of it. How are they going to feed their families and still have enough money in reserve to re-start farming the following year. Additional 'soft loans' are not the answer.

A much clearer plan is required.

The arguments have long been raging about how viable rice farming is as a small scale economic venture given the levels of debt among many of Thailand's farmers.

Given the apparent increase in the frequency and intensity of droughts that has to put rice farming - a fairly water intensive form of agriculture - further under the microscope. And if the farmers follow Mr. Sutheps advice and stop farming for all of next year, or the majority of it. How are they going to feed their families and still have enough money in reserve to re-start farming the following year. Additional 'soft loans' are not the answer.

A much clearer plan is required.

I have long said that the "P" in Thailand stands for planning.

It would seem that most planning efforts go into setting up the coyote dancers & obscenely large speakers.

the rice paddy in and near Chiang Mai is being readied fof planting, i mentioned the government suggestion to not plant second crop but was told it was not meant for farmers in the north of Thailand, i was not told who determined the north as not being included in this conserve, do not plant, etc

The farmers will still plant,the rice will die and they will go

crying to the Government for compensation,seems the

World over the only sectors that get Government help

are farmers and bankers.

regards Worgeordie

The vast majority will not plant because they rely on the canal network to ready their paddy for planting. It is simple to keep these farmers from planting, all you have to do is keep the canals dry.

Those closest to permanent water sources can pump into their paddy to grow a second and third crop. They are not a huge proportion of the rice farming community. In our area the answer to stopping them, earlier this year, was roaming army patrols forcibly stopping farmers pumping.

This will not end well. Already, in our village we are seeing increased debt, repossessions and theft.

Farmers the world over plant grain crops based on the rainfall. Some provinces in Thailand have plenty of water from rainfall now (Sa Kaeo and Prachinburi). Not all of Thailand is city centric, obviously if all water is only available for high populations, another source of water is required. ie sea based reverse osmosis for the cities near the coast and rainfall, dams and canals for farmers. City farangs should not be so hard on farmers, they work hard and depend on rain to exist. And you need them for fresh food.

And in the meantime, the hoses are on every day in Bangkok for car cleaning, garden watering etc. But thats ok because we are going to make the rice farmers starve & top themselves so that we can keep our cars clean, & they wonder why the farmers wont vote for the Bangkok parties in an election? if they ever get one again that is...

It is possible to grow rice with less water. Google it. But, unfortunately, change isn't the way here with farmers.

Completely correct.

The government agencies should be educating the farmers about this!

It is actually more productive.

A mate of mine were looking at this but I am not sure I will be able to convince the family.

As for 4 billion cubic meters waste in Pattaya at Songkran, rubbish, by the way it is 7 days not 10 (13th-19th).

More water wasted with watering gardens and cleaning cars on a daily basis.

The first year after a harvest a lot of rice grows from fallen seeds. Do nothing and it grows. If you are growing it to eat you are fine. It is very easy to prepare the field for bananas and papayas. You just dig up swales, etc...you still need some water, of course.

are farmers and bankers.

regards Worgeordie

All this support for the those wealth farmers that only make food that you might need to eat

You really are one

Edited by noosard

are farmers and bankers.

regards Worgeordie

The vast majority will not plant because they rely on the canal network to ready their paddy for planting. It is simple to keep these farmers from planting, all you have to do is keep the canals dry.

Those closest to permanent water sources can pump into their paddy to grow a second and third crop. They are not a huge proportion of the rice farming community. In our area the answer to stopping them, earlier this year, was roaming army patrols forcibly stopping farmers pumping.

This will not end well. Already, in our village we are seeing increased debt, repossessions and theft.

Obviously the farmers need to get some compensation, but on the long term farmers should look for other jobs. Its just not profitable and you can't expect the taxpayer to foot the bill always because the farmer refuses to change. But nobody dares to do this as there are many farmers and they help to win elections.

Next year will be worse but there will be an improvement in 2017.

Just my personal opinion backed up by watching and studying the local weather up here in Khampaeng Phet province over the last few years.

I do hope that I am wrong about next year though.

Improvement in 2017 hmm . Increased tourism (according to TAT) and construction will eat up any increase and if any industries are expanding here improvements go out the window. Like peak oil I think we have hit peak water all downhill from here. Life has taught me that ole Mother Nature is in charge and you just cannot have it both ways.

Edited by elgordo38

are farmers and bankers.

regards Worgeordie

Obviously the farmers need to get some compensation, but on the long term farmers should look for other jobs. Its just not profitable and you can't expect the taxpayer to foot the bill always because the farmer refuses to change. But nobody dares to do this as there are many farmers and they help to win elections.

I can understand your point but consider this. Many of the farmers are getting on in years. A lot in our village are 50, maybe 60 years old. They are not going to be walking into any other job soon and will need to provide their own alternative employment.

IMO there is no quick fix and could quite easily take a generation to finally solve.