Air India set to launch world’s longest flight

Lite Beer

Air India set to launch world’s longest flight

(Relaxnews) - Air India is poised to snag the record for operating the world’s longest, non-stop commercial flight, with plans to launch a new 18-hour route from Bangalore to San Francisco.

If successful, the flight would travel 14,000 km around the world and unseat the current record holder, Australian airline Qantas, which travels 13,370 km between Dallas Fort Worth in the US and Sydney.

Last month, Emirates also also announced plans to link Dubai and Panama City next year, a journey of 13,760 km.

The Air India route would become the first direct flight between San Francisco and India, and service the large Indian population living in Silicon Valley, pointed out The Times of India.

If not Bangalore, the flight path could also depart from New Delhi.

At the other end of the spectrum, the world’s shortest commercial flight operates from Westray to Papa Westray in the Orkney Islands in Scotland, aboard Loganair.

Separated by just 2.7 km, the flight is officially two minutes, but under ideal weather conditions can take as little as 47 seconds.

Meanwhile, a little prep and planning can go a long way to helping flyers survive a long haul flight.

For example, if you want to be served first, request a special meal, as these are distributed before the rest of the meals.

Carbs and green tea have also been shown to reduce the effects of jet lag.

And for a more comfortable journey, consider investing in compression socks, noise-canceling devices or meditation apps to reduce the stress caused by the ambient hum of the plane’s engine.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-09-25

That is one long flight, but I do love this:

For example, if you want to be served first, request a special meal, as these are distributed before the rest of the meals.

I have no idea why anyone would be in a hurry to get served. It's a pretty long flight and it's not like there's much to do.

They should rename it the K visa route. The ongoing replacement of Silicon Valley computer engineers by cheap Indian labor has been a major loss of good jobs for Americans. Trump completely misses the point when he focuses on the criminal element of Mexican immigrants. Indians immigrants, who lack respect for women, are streaming legally into the country and stealing skilled jobs, not $10 an hour manual labor jobs.

Edited by zaphod reborn

They should rename it the K visa route. The ongoing replacement of Silicon Valley computer engineers by cheap Indian labor has been a major loss of good jobs for Americans. Trump completely misses the point when he focuses on the criminal element of Mexican immigrants. Indians immigrants, who lack respect for women, are streaming legally into the country and stealing skilled jobs, not $10 an hour manual labor jobs.

Are you aware that a large number of US based companies sell their products in India? One cannot expect to have access to markets if one does not provide a bit of opportunity to those markets in return. Your logic calls for a one way direction of trade. One of India's exports is skilled services. The overall "cost" associated with allowing access to short term contracted employees is offset by the revenues generated by access to the Indian market. The savings generated for US firms is often the difference between survival and closing up shop. Has it occurred to you that the wages paid to US IT workers was long been bloated because there was a shortage of qualified labor? When there is a labor shortage, wages increase. If you are unhappy, take it up with US consumers and purchasers of services who DEMAND cost reductions.

In respect to the Air India flight, anyone who takes into consideration safety, quality of service and cleanliness won't care. I don't know anyone who would willingly book an Air India flight. It's like booking a United or American if one has the option of Delta or Air Canada or any other major airline for that matter.

I have no idea why anyone would be in a hurry to get served. It's a pretty long flight and it's not like there's much to do.

IMHO passengers who request special meals should be served last. Why should all the other passengers have to wait just because someone doesn't want to eat from the menu?

With the attention I have observed on Air India flights to keeping to;ets tidy, service up to mstandard on 10 hour flights, I think I will pass on this oppurnity to be part of a history making event.

The experience I have had with Air India is right down there with Indian airlines, Gurada, etc Ok Air India does not allow carry on goats, chickens, etc.which may give them a slight edge to the other 2 mamtioned

With the attention I have observed on Air India flights to keeping to;ets tidy, service up to mstandard on 10 hour flights, I think I will pass on this oppurnity to be part of a history making event.

The experience I have had with Air India is right down there with Indian airlines, Gurada, etc Ok Air India does not allow carry on goats, chickens, etc.which may give them a slight edge to the other 2 mamtioned

IMO Garuda has improved a lot. I would now much rather fly with Garuda than with Air India.

When Thai still had the JFK-BKK direct non-stop I flew it several times, 15 1/2 hrs eastbound, 17 return. Although shorter overall, I found I really missed having a stopover where I was able to walk around and stretch a bit. 17 hrs is a long time to just sit. Even with IFE, your brain, along with your butt goes numb, it really seems endless.

Early this week, I flew Chicago to BKK via Narita, less than a two hour stopover. Total flight time was 18 1/2 hrs. I'll gladly accept an extra two hours or so for the chance to walk around.

BTW, my feet and lower legs used to swell badly on these long flights. I finally got a pair of professionally fitted, knee high "Compression Stockings" and they've made a huge difference, no swelling at all. Proper fit is really important.

I always order a special (seafood) meal. By the time the general service is stared I will be well into my meal so if I want an additional meal then I can just ask while they are doing it. Almost certain they will do a meal (hot) a couple of hours in and another (hot) a few hours out. Between these times you may be offered some small crap sandwich or instant noodles. I'd rather keep a spare roll and some cheese and crackers in the seat pocket if I get hungry during the 14 hours.

IMHO passengers who request special meals should be served last. Why should all the other passengers have to wait just because someone doesn't want to eat from the menu?
On the plus side of that, when they have finished their meal you are still eating yours, kerching!

Garuda is the Indonesian national carrier.

It isn't Indian.

Do you really believe Trump would give a flying f about labour market issues?

Rich a-holes like him get rich from employing people for peanuts, and they get where they are by generally exploiting every situation they can.

Trump would import polar bears to work for nothing if he could get away with it.

Him and his ilk, along with the wealthy backers and politicians rely on cheap labour to sustain their fortunes. Dont think any of them will rock the boat.

BTW, my feet and lower legs used to swell badly on these long flights. I finally got a pair of professionally fitted, knee high "Compression Stockings" and they've made a huge difference, no swelling at all. Proper fit is really important.

Do you know where I can buy these in Bangkok?

Air India for 18 hours......and just how long into that flight would you imagine the toilets become unusable...sad.png

Back in 2006, my wife and I flew the direct flight from JFK to BKK via Thai Air. The flight was a little more than 17 hours. It was raining when we departed Augusta and Atlanta that day, and because of the weather we were delayed getting to JFK. Upon arrival at JFK we were informed at the Thai Air counter that we were late, our seats (06C & 06D) had been given up and we would be given different seating. We were then reassigned to the rear most seat in the aircraft which had very little recline, but did have all the smells of the lavatory directly behind our seats. We were both completely exhausted upon arrival. We learned our lesson about the direct flight from US to Thailand and would never book a flight of that duration again.

Are you aware that a large number of US based companies sell their products in India? One cannot expect to have access to markets if one does not provide a bit of opportunity to those markets in return. Your logic calls for a one way direction of trade. One of India's exports is skilled services. The overall "cost" associated with allowing access to short term contracted employees is offset by the revenues generated by access to the Indian market. The savings generated for US firms is often the difference between survival and closing up shop. Has it occurred to you that the wages paid to US IT workers was long been bloated because there was a shortage of qualified labor? When there is a labor shortage, wages increase. If you are unhappy, take it up with US consumers and purchasers of services who DEMAND cost reductions.

In respect to the Air India flight, anyone who takes into consideration safety, quality of service and cleanliness won't care. I don't know anyone who would willingly book an Air India flight. It's like booking a United or American if one has the option of Delta or Air Canada or any other major airline for that matter.

Air Canada as better than United or American? You know not whereof you speaketh.

And the outsourced contracts by US banks to Indian companies pays big money to Tata and other Indian consulting companies.

Probably some people with hypoglycemia. So they're at least trying to keep their passengers healthy.

It may not be a question of not wanting to.

It could be due to allergies or a medical condition.

Or simply not liking spicy.

Although whether they are served before or after is a decision the airlines have made and I expect their judgement has some reasoning behind it. Menu...., flights from the USA are usually pretty limited, but coming from India, I guess it will be something curried.

I wouldnt say stealing, as these are very skilled professionals that have the credentials that are landing these jobs at good salaries. I have first hand knowledge of this in the financial industry. Take a look at the universities, many of the engineers, doctors and such are made up of a decent percentage of South Asians, while the caucasians are too busy partying. This is just a generalization to make a point that westerners cannot just show up and think their entitled to the good jobs.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

This is a flight I will avoid for a variety of reasons, but one is that many of the people, I suspect, will be ill mannered and difficult to travel with. I fly through Singapore occasionally and there are many people from the subcontinent on those long haul flights. Many feign disability and are allowed to pre-board. Sometimes there is between 15 - 30 people in wheel chairs. Sometimes a rather large family group will pre-board with the 'invalid'.

The same people that were quite agile running around the airport buying things, but suddenly they are invalids. The same when it comes time to leave the plane. I won't even start on what it is like to find a spot in the overhead compartment for my very small carry-on after they have boarded. I have seen a family hand a small child off to another group so they could pre-board and then hand the child back after they are on the plane. They are certainly related, but there is nothing too devious to allow them to get on that plane and get whatever goodies may be at hand from newspapers on down.

Singapore is pretty organized, so I can only guess what it will be like on a flight from a less well organized country.

So what? An even larger number of US-based companies sell their products in China. They get more revenues generated by access to the Chinese market than the Indian one. Yet, people/media have no issues with pointing out the jobs "stolen" by China.