Welcome home: Chamroen returns as Governor of Phuket, Nisit says goodbye

webfact

Welcome home: Chamroen returns as Governor of Phuket, Nisit says goodbye
The Phuket News

1443625274_1-org.jpg
Chamreon Tipayapongthada (right) returned to Phuket today (Sept 30) amid a warm welcome at Phuket International Airport, ahead of officially taking up the post of Governor of Phuket tomorrow (Oct 1). Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: -- Chamreon Tipayapongthada returned to Phuket today (Sept 30) amid a warm welcome at Phuket International Airport, ahead of officially taking up the post of Governor of Phuket tomorrow (Oct 1).

Mr Chamroen became renowned on the island during his term as Phuket Vice Governor, when he spearheaded the crackdown on the island’s taxi mafia and led the way in metered-taxi reform.

Today, he returned after serving one year as Vice Governor of Nakhon Pathom province, on the outskirts of Bangkok.

Mr Chamroen and his wife were greeted with many smiles on landing in Phuket. Leading the welcoming committee, and the crowd, at the airport were Phuket Provincial Office Chief Prajiad Aksornthammakul and Ministry of Tourism and Sports Phuket office Director Santi Pawai.

“I am very happy to have chance to come back and serve the people in my hometown again,” Mr Chamroen said.

“I assure you that I will continue to do the best I can in all tasks as well as develop the island with the help of local residents.”

Today, Governor Nisit Jansomwong and his wife said goodbye to Phuket, as Governor Nisit will take up the post of Governor of Nonthaburi province, effective tomorrow (Oct 1).

Gov Nisit started his day of farewells at 8am

“Thank you for everything and thank you for giving me a chance to serve,” he told the crowd

“More projects are underway, including the underpass at the Bang Khu Intersection, the Chalong underpass, at Phuket International Airport – all for Phuket to improve the island’s infrastructure.

“But please, I urge all Phuket people to follow up on all projects.”

Gov Nisit, in no short order, also called on people to continue to support sustainable management and preserve Phuket’s natural environment, namely by instituting and practising good trash management on the beaches, taking action on the polluted water at Racha island, preventing land from being illegally developed, by developing drainage systems to prevent flooding, and to do their best to help Phuket One Tambon One Product (OTOP) trade to flourish.

Gov Nisit paid homage to the spirit house at the Governor’s Mansion and to the Phuket Heroines Thao Thepkrasattri and Thao Srisoonthorn at the Heroines Monument before heading out to the airport.

In his parting words, Gov Nisit said, “When I came to the island as Governor on October 1, 2014, I I learned that although Phuket generates a lot of income from tourism, it constantly faces many problems.

“From my first day on the island to my last, I have been challenged to solve many issues. I tried to focus on the community by putting people first and encouraging local people to help build a strong community and help officials to solve issues in their areas.

“I find social networks very helpful, especially when it comes to traffic problems. Recurring floods is quite a problem for the island, and usually the problem is the same areas each time, such as Patong. For this, a three-year plan with a corresponding budget has been set to solve Phuket’s flood problems.

“Others issues, such as keeping the beaches clean, illegal land excavation and the issuance of building permits are now the responsibility of local municipalities.

“For tourism,I think we have been consistent in promoting Phuket, and the island still attracts many foreigners. I am sure Phuket will do very well in generating income from tourism.

“I would like to thank all for your love and support,” he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/welcome-home-chamroen-returns-as-governor-of-phuket-nisit-says-goodbye-54329.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-10-01

".......... thank you for giving me a chance to serve,” he told the crowd.

They didn't have a lot of choice as it's a Government appointed role!

Plenty of big budgets to play with so he would have had a good tenure personally, though whether the people of Phuket would have been happy with his performance is a different matter.

Today, Governor Nisit Jansomwong and his wife said goodbye to Phuket, as Governor Nisit will take up the post of Governor of Nonthaburi province, effective tomorrow (Oct 1).

Best of luck, Nonthaburi. You're going to need it.