Assad is Moscow’s pawn in regional power stakes

Lite Beer

Assad is Moscow’s pawn in regional power stakes
Produced by Sophie Desjardin

Europe’s struggle to use soft power in coping with Syrian refugees appears to be playing into Russia’s hands as it torques up the hard power.

As Moscow increases its military forces in Syria, will that reduce or increase the flow of refugees?

President Putin recently justified Russia’s steadfast support of the Assad regime against enemies, saying: “[The refugees] escape the radicals first of all. If Russia had not supported Syria, [it] would have been worse off than Libya, with an even bigger flow of refugees.”

Syria is an important piece in Putin’s global strategy. How important can be measured by the resources he is investing.

Russia considers fighting the Islamic State militant group (ISIL) a priority, and while President Bashar al-Assad continues to represent an asset there, Moscow will guard his back.

Satellite photos show Russia developing facilities along Syria’s coast, prompting observations that Russia may be preparing to add troops to combat planes, helicopters and tanks.

Russia has a naval base on the Mediterranean — its only one there — the seaport of Tartus. This Soviet-era Material-Technical Support Point is an Assad stronghold. It dates from the Cold War — 1971, when Bashar al-Assad’s father held power.

Washington has been wary of Moscow’s support for the leader whom it holds responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Syrian, and the internal displacement of millions and flight into neighbouring countries and Europe.

The West has demanded Assad’s removal from power practically since the start of the Civil War in 2011.

Putin can rely on Iran’s interest in keeping Assad, to maintain the regional power balance. Tehran is also invested in defeating ISIL, though with no troops or military advisers in Syria, according to the Deputy Foreign Minister.

Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said: “Bashar al-Assad, a legitimate president of Syria, will be a part of a political resolution within any initiative.”

US Secretary of State John Kerry has called on Russia and Iran to be helpful in ending the conflict in Syria, while he sought to clarify the intentions of Moscow’s forces.

“If they are there to fight ISIL and only ISIL, that’s one possibility, and it’s something that we’ll obviously talk about in New York in the next few days. But if they are there to shore up Assad and to certainly provide Assad with the continued sense he doesn’t have to negotiate, then I think it’s a problem.”

Washington believes Moscow’s support for Assad has attracted foreign fighters to the many factions battling in Syria.

Adding Russians would probably further complicate the cross-fire.

With the contribution of Adrian Lancashire

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-03

Putin is a dangerous dictator bent on re-establishing the Soviet Union. He and his foreign minister lie about everything and I am sure that eliminating the original Syrian Rebels (who Putin calls terrorists) is even more important to him than going after ISIS. This country does not deserve a seat on the UN Secutity Council and I am of the opinion that countries being accused of wrongdoing should not be able to exercise their veto power. Russia vetoed a UN investigation into the Malaysian airliner crash over Ukraine and we all know who shot that plane down.

Putin is a dangerous dictator bent on re-establishing the Soviet Union. He and his foreign minister lie about everything and I am sure that eliminating the original Syrian Rebels (who Putin calls terrorists) is even more important to him than going after ISIS. This country does not deserve a seat on the UN Secutity Council and I am of the opinion that countries being accused of wrongdoing should not be able to exercise their veto power. Russia vetoed a UN investigation into the Malaysian airliner crash over Ukraine and we all know who shot that plane down.

USA has a seat on the UN Security Council, and has been accused of war crimes in Iraq, Libya, etc. There should not be a UN tribunal into MH17 until the investigation is finished. The world is still waiting for that.

Nice propaganda piece, they're coming out everywhere lately. Despite whatever drawbacks Assad or Putin may have at least they are attacking ISIS for real.

US and thus their media minions angry their pet terror front is getting blasted. The US & friends stirring up the ME has caused the refugees, how could Russia entering the fray after the fact have anything to do with it.

Regardless people eventually see thru all the media BS or they don't, opinions are otherwise set in stone.

we are all somebody's pawn, ask my cat.

Nice propaganda piece, they're coming out everywhere lately. Despite whatever drawbacks Assad or Putin may have at least they are attacking ISIS for real.

US and thus their media minions angry their pet terror front is getting blasted. The US & friends stirring up the ME has caused the refugees, how could Russia entering the fray after the fact have anything to do with it.

Regardless people eventually see thru all the media BS or they don't, opinions are otherwise set in stone.

I've not read an article yet that says the majority of the Russian attacks are against ISIS. From what I've seen, the attacks are mainly against anti-government rebels. Purely to help Assad. And keep the money flowing into Russia for more weapons.

Pawns are used for sacrifice and Putin is a chess master.

I doubt Putin cares who controls Syia so long as Russia can continue to sell it arms and keep its naval base.

Asaad is on borrowed time and should plan for an exit strategy when the move "Knight takes Pawn" is made.

As Russia was asked by Assad to assist him in fighting the various 'good' & 'bad' opposition, no doubt they have targeted those deemed the immediate threat to some semblance of an integrated country. No doubt too that Assad wants to stay in power and the Russians want to have one power base in the Mediterranean.

Selling arms? Yes that too just like western countries support all the gulf & Saudi dictatorships for the same reason. There are no ethical or moral reasons for interference in the region.

However insisting that Assad be deposed is only an invitation for another Iraq or Libya and further probable gains for ISIS who have already taken over chunks of the 'good' rebels. Russia has offered an opportunity to western governments to actually join in resolving the Syrian crisis instead of letting it worsen. The priority is to get the ISIS out of Syria and then discuss Assad's role afterwards & maybe Iraq as well.