Gun control debate in the spotlight following Oregon campus shootings

Lite Beer

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia has gun control laws but it still didn't stop this shooting in Sydney yesterday?

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/10/02/17/01/two-feared-shot-in-parramatta-in-sydney-s-west

No it didn't stop it and the rise in these Muslim terrorist killings will continue in Australia and Europe. Before long those killings will outnumber anything happening in the US. The traditional citizens will be powerless and get mowed down with no chance to defend themselves.

Not in my neighborhood...

Play the long game. Things change over time and the security that many grew up with is fast disappearing. By the time they see it it will be too late.

The American citizen will be the last one standing against these terrorists. 100 million of us say "just try it".

Cheers.

The shooter owned 13 guns, all legally, maybe he was expecting an attack from Jesse James and his gang.

and reported " attended a school for teens with emotional disabilities"...

What can be done if it's written into the constitution?

American's have the right to bear arms.

"Second Amendment to the United States Constitution" clue is the second word...

Australia has gun control laws but it still didn't stop this shooting in Sydney yesterday?

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/10/02/17/01/two-feared-shot-in-parramatta-in-sydney-s-west

Big news in Australia, doubt it would make the headlines if it were in the US.

For what it is worth, A 15 year old has just been put away:

In a separate case in Britain, another 15-year-old boy on Friday was given a life sentence for plotting to behead police officers at a Melbourne parade.

The Blackburn teenager - who sent thousands of online messages to an alleged Australian jihadist - will serve at least five years and will only be released once he is no longer considered dangerous.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-34431926

No one yet in this thread has asked why these killings occurred. I find that odd. The perp asked the students if they were Christian and if they said yes he killed them. Seems obvious to stop this particular type of killing (knowing there are other methods of killing besides guns) the answer would be to stop Christianity. If none of the students said they were Christian no one would have been killed. wai2.gif At different times China and Russia pretty well stopped religion why not America? UK has almost got Christianity stopped down to 29% now I think https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_Kingdom

Edited by lostoday

No it didn't stop it and the rise in these Muslim terrorist killings will continue in Australia and Europe. Before long those killings will outnumber anything happening in the US. The traditional citizens will be powerless and get mowed down with no chance to defend themselves.

Play the long game. Things change over time and the security that many grew up with is fast disappearing. By the time they see it it will be too late.

The American citizen will be the last one standing against these terrorists. 100 million of us say "just try it".

Cheers.

'The American citizen will be the last one standing against these terrorists.' Not if the gun lobby has its way.

There was toal gun conttrol on this Campus. NO wea[pons of anykind were allowed and again it does no good except to point to where the scumbags who want to do the most damaga can go: that is a "gun free zone"
It speaks volumes there have been NO mass shootings that I am aware of except in these "gun free zones".

Wait for one in where guns are allowed to bash the second ammendment

"Now is not the time to discuss gun control" is a routine response whenever this happens. It's like that novelty clock that is on a plaque that says "No drinking before 5" and every number on the clockface is 5.

Next part of the routine is the wingnuts put out the call "He's coming for our guns!" Those missives will be going out this weekend. A brisk business for the gun shops, again part of the routine. But the morons who buy into this have already liquidated their savings buying guns the previous times the call has gone out. A new phenomenon, I guess, where instead of dad drinking away the family's livelyhood he spends it on firearms. A lot of these right-wing nutter sites are behind paywalls, so they do pretty well when these things happen. Incredible! Not only do they fall for all this, but they pay to hear it!

When the shootings at the church happened a few months ago the response from the NRA crowd was "if there were more guns this would have been prevented." Umm, so they were suggesting that more black folks carry guns?

Am not sure how much this affects the overall scene, but craziness is encouraged in the US. Take, for example, a town of around 10,000 people. Let's say half the folks have real jobs. The other half want hand-outs. If those other half can show they're crazy (easy-to-assert in the US), they get SSI monthly payments of nearly $1,000/month for the rest of their lives. Craziness, and other disabilities are encouraged for many Americans. It gives them steady guaranteed money for life. I was just in downtown SF. The number of nut-cases roaming the streets was alarming. I was about to cross a street with a group of people, and an old woman suddenly came up and spit on the prettiest girl in the group and shouted obscenities. I saw a guy covered in blankets on the sidewalk (middle of biz district) with a trail of urine seeping off on the sidewalk, mid-body. My older brother declared he was crazy, in order to get out of the US army. He was faking it, but it worked (it's as easy to fool the US army as it is to fool SS administration), and he too gets nearly $1,000/month for the rest of his life. Multiply that crazy money payments by 200 million, and you get an idea of the expense, and why craziness is encouraged in the US of A.

Then there's the 3 yr old riding in the front seat of his daddy's p.u. truck. He plays with a pistol, boom! daddy is shot dead. Multiply that by tens of thousands annually (including children shooting children) and you get another perspective of how crazy gun ownership has become in the US.

"Now is not the time to discuss gun control" is a routine response whenever this happens. It's like that novelty clock that is on a plaque that says "No drinking before 5" and every number on the clockface is 5.

Next part of the routine is the wingnuts put out the call "He's coming for our guns!" Those missives will be going out this weekend. A brisk business for the gun shops, again part of the routine. But the morons who buy into this have already liquidated their savings buying guns the previous times the call has gone out. A new phenomenon, I guess, where instead of dad drinking away the family's livelyhood he spends it on firearms. A lot of these right-wing nutter sites are behind paywalls, so they do pretty well when these things happen. Incredible! Not only do they fall for all this, but they pay to hear it!

When the shootings at the church happened a few months ago the response from the NRA crowd was "if there were more guns this would have been prevented." Umm, so they were suggesting that more black folks carry guns?

No, they were suggesting God-fearing Christians take guns to church.

There was toal gun conttrol on this Campus. NO wea[pons of anykind were allowed and again it does no good except to point to where the scumbags who want to do the most damaga can go: that is a "gun free zone"

It speaks volumes there have been NO mass shootings that I am aware of except in these "gun free zones".

Wait for one in where guns are allowed to bash the second ammendment

First of all, no need to underline your words, it does not make them stronger.

Secondly, your statement is not true.

Thirdly, many countries are 'gun free zones' and in those countries there are no mass shootings.

No one yet in this thread has asked why these killings occurred. I find that odd. The perp asked the students if they were Christian and if they said yes he killed them. Seems obvious to stop this particular type of killing (knowing there are other methods of killing besides guns) the answer would be to stop Christianity. If none of the students said they were Christian no one would have been killed. wai2.gif At different times China and Russia pretty well stopped religion why not America? UK has almost got Christianity stopped down to 29% now I think https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_Kingdom

You have got to be kidding me. So you believe if the government made Christianity illegal, this wacko would have never killed these people? You make the guy who shot these people look sane.

Cheers.

Muslim terrorist killings of non-Muslim in Australia, North Africa and Europe since a certain evil caliphate started 'inspiring' people... 76.

Mass shootings in the US since the start of the year... 264.

Deaths in the US 'from terrorism' in the past 10 years... 313.

Deaths in the US from guns in the past 10 years... 316,545

Claiming that protecting US citizens from Muslim-inspired atrocities are some part of the NRA's own mantra of "bringing happiness to the people" .. Priceless.

How can I say this?... Your 'long game' post is absolutely drenched in self doubt and insecurity.

PS. I can't wait for the 'from my cold dead hands' post, btw.

Cheers.

Muslim terrorist killings of non-Muslim in Australia, North Africa and Europe since a certain evil caliphate started 'inspiring' people... 76.

Claiming that protecting US citizens from Muslim-inspired atrocities are some part of the NRA's own mantra of "bringing happiness to the people" .. Priceless.

How can I say this?... Your 'long game' post is absolutely drenched in self doubt and insecurity.

Aren't the deaths from 'terrorism' in the past ten years within the US mainly committed by white supremacists?

This was a Facebook post that sure rings true.

"How about we treat every young man who wants to buy a gun like every woman who wants to get an abortion — mandatory 48-hr waiting period, parental permission, a note from his doctor proving he understands what he's about to do, a video he has to watch about the effects of gun violence, an ultrasound wand up the ass (just because). Let's close down all but one gun shop in every state and make him travel hundreds of miles, take time off work, and stay overnight in a strange town to get a gun. Make him walk through a gauntlet of people holding photos of loved ones who were shot to death, people who call him a murderer and beg him not to buy a gun.
It makes more sense to do this with young men and guns than with women and health care, right? I mean, no woman getting an abortion has killed a room full of people in seconds, right?"

Cheers.

Aren't the deaths from 'terrorism' in the past ten years within the US mainly committed by white supremacists?

But, of course, the gun nuts will shoot the NY Times messenger.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/us/tally-of-attacks-in-us-challenges-perceptions-of-top-terror-threat.html?_r=0

Obama or no one else will attempt to confiscate guns from law abiding citizens in our lifetime. If people don't like guns just don't own one. If it bothers you, Americans can legally own firearms, then move to Australia, where people don't have the right to defend themselves in their own home or move to one of many communists countries where not be allowed to own a firearm would be the least of your problems.

Every time some lunatic decides it would be fun to shoot people, the same faces show up on this forum wringing their hands and crying about how bad guns are. Stop sitting behind your computers in your underwear, and get out and enjoy life.

Cheers.

2001 by Muslims from Saudi Arabia. (9/11) is the largest I think. 3003 people murdered. 8700 injured. By limiting to 10 years you miss the largest and most catastrophic murders. I don't really think the difference between 10 and 14 years is significant unless you are trying to cover up the largest atrocity which I think is your point but no one is fooled. It is like saying how many people were murdered in death camps in the past 70 years = 0. How many in the past 75 years = 10 million. Get it?

Edited by lostoday

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." - Clint Smith, former US Marine, police officer and S.W.A.T. team member. When asked why he carried a Colt .45 he answered "Because they don't make a .46".

What a dumb answer! I carry this gun because there isn't a bigger one.

No, It's an intelligent answer.

Do you know that most handguns won't penetrate a "bulletproof" vest but almost all rifles will? I'm referring to the level 3A standard issue police and military vests.

There are some handguns with some bullets that will. Some of these perps have these vests and I'd want to think I could penetrate one if my life depended on it. (FYI, a .45 probably wouldn't penetrate but a .44 magnum probably would.)

Sometimes size not only matters, but your life may depend on it. The guy was being serious and correct.

Cheers.

Paranoia rules the gun nuts. They're coming to get us, we need our guns. Oh, my Buddha.

“The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun,”

yes we call them the police

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." - Clint Smith, former US Marine, police officer and S.W.A.T. team member. When asked why he carried a Colt .45 he answered "Because they don't make a .46".

Yeah, clever one liners are a nice way to avoid the complicated issue of too many people having access to lethal weapons.

"How about we treat every young man who wants to buy a gun like every woman who wants to get an abortion — mandatory 48-hr waiting period, parental permission, a note from his doctor proving he understands what he's about to do, a video he has to watch about the effects of gun violence, an ultrasound wand up the ass (just because). Let's close down all but one gun shop in every state and make him travel hundreds of miles, take time off work, and stay overnight in a strange town to get a gun. Make him walk through a gauntlet of people holding photos of loved ones who were shot to death, people who call him a murderer and beg him not to buy a gun.

It makes more sense to do this with young men and guns than with women and health care, right? I mean, no woman getting an abortion has killed a room full of people in seconds, right?"

Why not go back and set all this up?

I would suggest you start in Texas.

There are more safety label labels/requirements on a 30 inch ladder than on a gun - not that safety labels would sway crazies from shooting others. I honestly don't know how to improve the nutzoid fixation with guns among many Americans. Mental illness and addiction-to-firearms are as much part of the equation as anything else. I had a man in California point a loaded pistol at my face from 11 inches away. All I did was look through a store window at a clock to see what time it was. Guns empower certain people, just like handing a samarai sword to an angry jealous drunk man would empower him - if he saw his former steady girl kissing a strange guy. Mental illness is prevalent all over the US.

Cheers.

I know sad isn't it? You can tell the truth and show the facts but the gun nuts will NEVER listen. You can't reason with people who are insane.

Cheers.

2001 by Muslims from Saudi Arabia. (9/11) is the largest I think. 3003 people murdered. 8700 injured. By limiting to 10 years you miss the largest and most catastrophic murders. I don't really think the difference between 10 and 14 years is significant unless you are trying to cover up the largest atrocity which I think is your point but no one is fooled. It is like saying how many people were murdered in death camps in the past 70 years = 0. How many in the past 75 years = 10 million. Get it?

No worries then we'll keep 10 years for the gun deaths so you get a 5 year advantage. Then I'll give you 15 years for Deaths from terrorism. Which you quote as 3003. Let's see what's that make it? 316545 to 3316.... Get it?

I just watched an interview on CNN with the shooter's British father.

Of course he blamed the availability of guns as the entire problem.

Nary a word about the medical profession protecting the crazies or his role in raising a mass murderer.

Frankly I found him rather disgusting, but predictable considering where he is originally from.

Oh, goodness, then many Americans would have to go to Mexico or Canada to get their guns. Like many have to do to get medicine at an affordable price.