What books are you into? Fiction, (auto)biography, travel, spiritual?

fang37

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read "Child 44" recently during a business trip to Malta. Very good read so then I read read part 2 (Agent 6) and part 3 (The secret speech) whilst in Thailand this year. Tom Rob Smith I think.

Russian KGB stuff, very interesting and hard to put down

Ken Follets Pilliar of the Earth is a great book.

I like John Irving stuff as well. Son of the Circus........

Have read "world without end" ? The sequel to pillars of the earth another great book.....both those books great reads

I enjoyed that as well. I read the first novel in his latest series a few years back so I want to read the next one soon.

I have read fall of giants, but there another 2 books in the same trilogy i havent seen in Thailand, but maybe havent been looking very hard LOL

Never been able to settle and read a book, find I get restless very quickly.

I prefer to learn something new, a language (Thai), computer skills, website stuff etc.

Something "productive" is perhaps the word, as opposed to just sitting there reading a book, admire those that can, immerse themselves or for some kind of escapism.

I find that reading for information and/or instruction is Ok, but for "pleasure" I just cant seem to do it.sad.png

Ben Elton - All of his books are excellent (any order)

Nelson DeMilles - John Corey Series is excellent (best read in order)

Greg Iles (iles)

Patrick Robinson - Admiral Arnold Morgon Series (must be read in order starting with Nimitz Class) / Mick Bedford Series

Dan Brown (all 6 of his books are great)

Two I'm about to read: Dan Brown - Inferno / Nelson DeMilles - Radiant

Edited by richard_smith237

I find most fiction boring. History, science, etc. is instructive and interesting. I've read many books about WW II, the Vietnam War, the French Revolution, etc. Real life is stranger (and more interesting) than fiction.

Thank you for your suggestions all.

Hardly ever read a book or a newspaper.

I still have one book of interest.

Read numerous times.

Until the lights are switched on, I may have to read it again & again.

I prefer to learn something new, a language (Thai), computer skills, website stuff etc.

Something "productive" is perhaps the word, as opposed to just sitting there reading a book, admire those that can, immerse themselves or for some kind of escapism.

I find that reading for information and/or instruction is Ok, but for "pleasure" I just cant seem to do it.sad.png

Yes, a love for literature is needed; an appreciation of that art form - reading for info' or thrills or even enlightenment is a different thing.

I like to read a book for about 1-2 hours before I go to sleep, I would love to get a book about computers.

Will try and get one when I am in Pattaya.

Ben Elton - All of his books are excellent (any order)

Nelson DeMilles - John Corey Series is excellent (best read in order)

Greg Iles (iles)

Patrick Robinson - Admiral Arnold Morgon Series (must be read in order starting with Nimitz Class) / Mick Bedford Series

Dan Brown (all 6 of his books are great)

Two I'm about to read: Dan Brown - Inferno / Nelson DeMilles - Radiant

I like Michael Connelly and Martina Cole, read nearly all their books now.

My list would be endless, I must have close to a 1.000 books, I think. Thus I better list what I don't read: Science Fiction, Comics, Womens' stuff, Gossip and anything about the so-called HiSo world, Novels (except crime and Stephen King and novels that teach about what is important in life like i.e. "The Shack").

I am the complete opposite of you.

I started reading comics when I was young and as soon as I could get a library card (IIRC I was about 9 years old) I started reading and now at 71 I am still an avid reader. I have about 500 odd books in my library and this week I hope to get a Barnes & Noble Nook Ebook reader.

I have about a couple of thousand Ebooks already and I am downloading more from torrents 2 or 3 times a week.

I can quite happily sit and read a good book for hours and get lost in it.

I like to load up my Kindle Paper White at my local library in Australia. This saves lugging a few kgs of books in my suitcase, and as the Paper white has built in lighting, I can read on the plane while others sleep.

Just finished Lawrence, D H., "Seven Pillars of Wisdom". I'll give camels and deserts a miss, tho he certainly got around on them.

"I have read Buddhist literature"

If you are in to religion read Richars Dawkins and, the unfortunately too early dead Christopher Hitchens.

The "God Delution" by Dawkins and "God is not great" by Hitchens.

Or any other books by these authors. (Sorry. My English spelling is not great, and I've got no spell checker on my phone.)

Those books will give you a new and fresh look at life.

The

"The greatest show on earth: The evidence foe evolution" by Dawkins is also an eye opener.

Dan Brown (Angels & Demons, The Da Vinci Code, et al.)

James Michener (The Drifters)

James Clavell (Shogun)

Clive Cussler (well, his early stuff at least).

Frederick Pohl (The Heechee novels)

Piers Anthony (The "Myth" series)

Janet Morris (Heroes in Hell series)

Robert Lynn Asprin (and others) (Thieves World series).

Homer (Iliad and Odyssey)

Histories of Herodotus

War & Peace (Tolstoy)

I read "Child 44" recently during a business trip to Malta. Very good read so then I read read part 2 (Agent 6) and part 3 (The secret speech) whilst in Thailand this year. Tom Rob Smith I think.

I have just watched that movie---(& I see its on Thai TV at the moment) liked Tom Hardy--so in the movie did they combine the other 2 books with it. because it had an ending.

Very good, great atmosphere of the Stalinist years , but movie disappoints. It will take years to recover from being a CPA. Sex, pharmaceuticals and the blues will help greatly. to advise more specifically, it would help to know what you have read a bit more recently than the Beano ( that's how I ended up a CPA) ?