Thai man massively overcharged at national park because he looks like a farang

webfact

Publicity seeker! Having 5,000 "friends' tells us that!!

He does look farang and if he didn't (unknown) show his ID card to prove otherwise the attendant had every right to charge him the going rate.

I've visited many parks in this country and if I show my Thai drivers licence I get in for the Thai price!

And whats the problem with dual pricing anyway. Western tourists can afford to pay more. Would the foreigner still visit if Thais were made to pay the same? It's 200 baht, take it or leave it.

Rich Thai who g to Paris can also afford a 10-folded price, let's do the same to them!

Ok as long as you're prepared to let the poor Thai visiting Paris have a discount!

Dual pricing happens in many countries. In the UK adults pay more than OAP's and kids to enter many places. And sometimes locals get discounts.

One wonders what the departure tax is for?

The government would make way more money if they charged a 500 baht arrivals tax to compensate for the fact that tourists do not pay local tax (hence not contribute to the upkeep of local parks). I'd NEVER pay extra money to a private attraction, though. Tiger park? Sod that..Anyone who pays tax in Thailand should not have to pay exorbitant fees for these parks (which are generally quite poorly maintained anyway).

Ok as long as you're prepared to let the poor Thai visiting Paris have a discount!

Dual pricing happens in many countries. In the UK adults pay more than OAP's and kids to enter many places. And sometimes locals get discounts.

None of which is based on third world racism.

Showing some decency to the young and old in the West is no justification for supporting racist behaviour in developing countries.

How about encouraging them to... develop?

Only a racist could consider this racism!

"No, you are... not me, you are..."

Get back to me when you graduate from the playground and have a real response.

Did you stick your tongue out after that very mature reply! And who are you quoting?

And sometimes locals get discounts.

What is a local?

It's somebody who lives in a particular vicinity, NOT somebody who lives in a particular vicinity and matches the personal prejudices of some goon in a ticket booth.

The "goon" is ordered to charge foreigners 200 baht.

The Thai person clearly looks like a farang so unless he could prove he was Thai the "goon" was doing his job.

If this Thai produced his ID then people have cause to complain but the report doesn't say he did.

IMO this was a set up!

What should we refer to someone that calls someone else a "goon"?

Edited by elviajero

Went to this same park in Krabi a few weeks ago with my Thai GF... When she saw that they charged me 10X what they charged her, she went off on the guy... Didn't matter, still had to pay, even though I have a Thai DL...

He does look farang and if he didn't (unknown) show his ID card to prove otherwise the attendant had every right to charge him the going rate.

I've visited many parks in this country and if I show my Thai drivers licence I get in for the Thai price!

And whats the problem with dual pricing anyway. Western tourists can afford to pay more. Would the foreigner still visit if Thais were made to pay the same? It's 200 baht, take it or leave it.

You logic is inconsistent. You partly implement a system where people would get a product based on how much they can pay.

This system then should not consider the nationality , but the yearly income ; many Thais are rich why dont thay pay even more then?

Its just materializes racism , and every one who accepts this sends a message "Yes, we foreigner are second class humans ".

Also we dont apply dual pricing to Thais in our country so its asymetric.

You could sell differ prices for tickets whith different quality of service, that would be ok. 100 bath : stay 30 minutes, 200 bhat stay 1 hours , ...

The rich can buy more service , that is what happens in 99% of the world

Here's a shocker for you. Thais can live in Thailand for free. Foreigners have to pay. Is that racism too or any other bigoted label that you or others want to apply.

This is Thailand and Thais can charge foreigners whatever they want. It has nothing to do with anything more than commerce. The foreigner has the choice to pay or not. It's been happening for years and yet foreigners still visit so it's clearly not a problem for most.

Did you also know that when your friend is having his body massage the Thai in the next room is paying less.

• Like 1

Here in the USA the Federal national parks all charge the same rates for all peope, at least I think they do. However, in many States, individual State Parks definitely charge different rates for non-State residents. So I don't see much of an issue with a price difference of 250 baht versus 200 baht. But 10x price differences I don't like. Now setting the magnitude of the price difference aside for a minute, does Thai law specify what a Thai is? If so what law? Does having a Thai ID mean one is Thai? I don't think so. Unless a person is a Thai citizen and has or could qualify to get a Thai National's Passport, I don't think they qualify as a Thai.

Rich Thai who g to Paris can also afford a 10-folded price, let's do the same to them!

The operative point is ALL adults irrespective of race, religion, creed or colour pay the same to not do so would be somewhat bigoted and certainly racist, when you say Western tourists are you also including Indians Africans and other nationality or just us rich white westerners?? some of the apologists on here need to get out more.....

The point is that this is Thailand and they can charge non-thai tourists whatever they want.

You logic is inconsistent. You partly implement a system where people would get a product based on how much they can pay.

This system then should not consider the nationality , but the yearly income ; many Thais are rich why dont thay pay even more then?

Its just materializes racism , and every one who accepts this sends a message "Yes, we foreigner are second class humans ".

You could sell differ prices for tickets whith different quality of service, that would be ok. 100 bath : stay 30 minutes, 200 bhat stay 1 hours , ...

Here's a shocker for you. Thais can live in Thailand for free. Foreigners have to pay. Is that racism too or any other bigoted label that you or others want to apply.

This is Thailand and Thais can charge foreigners whatever they want. It has nothing to do with anything more than commerce. The foreigner has the choice to pay or not. It's been happening for years and yet foreigners still visit so it's clearly not a problem for most.

Did you also know that when your friend is having his body massage the Thai in the next room is paying less.

Actually Thais have to pay too.

Driving licences, Chanots, Tabien Baans, Thai ID cards, birth and death certificates, amendments to legal papers, etc. All the trappings of being Thai are paid for by the individual, they are not free. They are also the same price for foreigners (where applicable).

Edited by jonclark
  • Like 1

Went to this same park in Krabi a few weeks ago with my Thai GF... When she saw that they charged me 10X what they charged her, she went off on the guy... Didn't matter, still had to pay, even though I have a Thai DL...

What would happen if you just walked in without paying?

They don't have guns, and they're usually very small!

PS

I never pay, there's always a back trail in without a ticket booth or guard.

There are never just one of them working the gates at these places... Not worth the chance of an altercation over a few baht... Remember the bloke that got the pointy end of a samurai sword at the hands of a taxi driver last year in Bangers?

Actually Thais have to pay too.

Driving licences, Chanots, Tabien Baans, Thai ID cards, birth and death certificates, amendments to legal papers, etc. All the trappings of being Thai are paid for by the individual, they are not free. They are also the same price for foreigners (where applicable).

Thais can live in Thailand for free. Foreigners have to pay. You cannot argue against that simple fact.

Edited by elviajero

Always leave it when dealing with prejudice and bias based upon nationality.

When was the last time you used you driving licence?

The charge to most if not all national is 40 for a Thai national and 400 baht if not.

Are you really so daft to accept a 10 fold increase? Well you already stated you use your licence, so you are not! Slightly hypocritical!

Khao Yai Park and most now won't accept the driving licence, although some of the smaller ones still do if you ask politely in Thai.