Bangkok Immigration Announces New Dress Code

I wouldn't think it would make that much difference what the person was wearing while you were extracting bribe money. rolleyes.gif

I have seen people dressed ridiculously at Phuket immigration. I guess they want to keep the bribery on a professional basis.

Dont know about you lot but i dont even think i have trousers.

I have some special clothes I only use for immigration! No, they're not that special. Long pants for applications. When going back to pick up my passport, back to the short pants. I always wear sandals.

How does one dress "politely"?. One dresses "respectably". One does not wear "casual attire".

I do not greet my underpants with a, "Good morning." Neither do I hold the door open for my T-shirt (Is that banned?).

Are you translation police? Given your number of posts one would think you've seen many mis-translations from Thai to English and vice versa and it wouldn't matter.

To the fellow Australian, I might not wear beach attire to offices in Oz but I wear bloody shorts.

Only time since being in Thailand have I worn jeans ie trousers, was on a flight to Singapore to keep my carry on under 7 kgs.

I will buy a pair of elephant pants ( those are those loose fitting baggy pants with elephants all over them) for the occasion, it will take me back to my hippie days

• Like 1

Long pants required? Meaning I'd need to wear them more than once a year? I wear shorts, not junk crap most everywhere. I see nothing wrong with that. I do not however wear some crap shirt, normally always a polo with a collar. I do see people dressed very poorly which reflects badly on all of us.

• Like 1

I wouldn't think it would make that much difference what the person was wearing while you were extracting bribe money. rolleyes.gif

I have seen people dressed ridiculously at Phuket immigration. I guess they want to keep the bribery on a professional basis.

Silly comment.

Since retiring, I have seldom worn anything other than shorts, t-shirts and sandals...all clean, respectable and good quality.

That is my right.

I would not, however, show up in short-shorts or a tank top or flip-flops....at Immigration or anywhere else, except the pool.

Please remember that we pay for many of the services at Immigration and, therefore, are paying customers....or at least "paying guests".

We are certainly not simply "guests" in any sense of the word, with all that that implies in terms of civility and generosity on the part of our "hosts"!

• Like 1

To be honest, I haven't particularly noticed a problem with the dress of foreigners at Chaeng Wattana. The British Embassy, however, is a totally different bouilloire de poissons. Flip-flops, shorts, wife beaters, unshaven and undeodoranted are apparently de rigueur.

• Like 2

I have seen Russian girls in Chonburi Immigration in their bikini!

They were wearing less clothes than a go-go girl at work and surprised that Immigration Officer didn't even want to talk to her - other Russians had to explain to her to go home and wear decent clothes first.

I would have serviced her without a moment's hesitation! rolleyes.gif

It shouldn't be a big deal for anyone. I wouldn't go into a government office in Australia dressed for the beach. Why would anyone think you can do that here. Respect is universal.

You obviously have never been in a DMV office in America.

• Like 1

It just shows that 50% of westerners that come here couldn't give a damn. They leave their brains at Stansted because they are more worried about beer and sex than keeping up certain human standards which are not particularly demanding and show that manners maketh man.

Yes it is hot in tropical counties, but there are nice linen shirts and light trousers available.

If I had to go to a London embassy or police station or tax office, I would not go smelling of dirty feet and wearing Nepalese Love Beads. Would you?

Council trash and trailer trash, or crooks on the run. What else did you expect?

No, you never take your shoes off at Immigration. You need to go to different desks (etc.), so removal of shoes would be barmy.

Eddy

• Like 2

In all honesty, some farangs go dressed as slobs, looking like they have just come from a garbage can, I find them offensive as well, not an ounce of respect, if you go to immigration have a shower and wear clean clothes, that's a good start

I personally dress business casual when I go to Immigration, but I don't particularly give a rat's behind what anyone else chooses to wear. What business is it of mine? Or anybody else for that matter. Of course then again, I grew up in a country and culture where conformity wasn't high on anybody's list. Never had much respect for lemmings or sheep.

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

What difference does wearing sandals make when you have to remove your footwear before entering?

Since when do you remove your shoes going to immigration in BKK blink.png

The Prachaub Khirikhan office expects people to remove their shoes. I am sure that there are other provincial offices where this is required.

Anybody who has half a brain knows that when dealing with authority, and especially when that authority wealds considerable power over your future in a country, should dress appropriately.

Half a brain maybe in your mind. I dressed for private school with my little hat all those years ago. What is wrong with T shirt shorts and flip flops in a sometimes very oppressive heat . The only thing making sense is the word oppressive.

Immigration officers are basically clerks . Never wanted to live in place like Vietnam even though I love it. Reason being some forms of suppression and RULES.

THAILAND can't help but try to keep people living in world of restriction. What next????? All Tattos must be covered. Good luck for all the blokes with them on face

What difference does wearing sandals make when you have to remove your footwear before entering?

Since when do you remove your shoes going to immigration in BKK blink.png
The Prachaub Khirikhan office expects people to remove their shoes. I am sure that there are other provincial offices where this is required.

Ok but the thread is about an the immigration dept in BKK...;)