Bangkok Immigration Announces New Dress Code

Also no short sleeves is just plain silly, even immigration officers wear short sleeves.

Shall we humor them and ask them to go and get changed ? biggrin.png

THAILAND_1__926109f.jpg

Sorry, 'missed that. Where did anyone/anything say no short-sleeved shirts?? I DID see one member saying he chose not to wear a short-sleeved shirt in order to conceal his tats.

Short sleeve collared business shirts, polos, and uniforms shirts are entirely respectable. Whatever they got that scumbag for the suspect appears properly dressed.

(Sign says no short top,shows something with clingy short sleeves with low decline. I think for ladies)

Edited by arunsakda

// I have been in only 2 immigration offices and both have been air conditioned and in fact on the cold side.

Amphur the same other air conditioned. So the problem is !!!!!!!!!..............

The problem is not in the office, but the ride to go to this office !

Of course no problem if you are in Bangkok: taxi, BTS, metro,... you have aircon all the way smile.png

In Pattaya, transport is bahtbus or motorbike, none with aircon. If ever I put jeans and long leaves shirt, with the local temperature and humidity, I would be fully sweaty (and probably smelly too) when arriving at Jomtien Immigration bah.gif . Officers certainly prefer a non-sweaty guy in clean T-shirt & Bermuda cool.png

I living in Thailand for 12 years and I don't even own a short trouser......short trouser is good on beautiful women but not for men

H. Bet you look a sight down the beach !

When I go swimming I take swimming trunks. But, yes on the beach, beach bar, etc a short trouser is OK.

Last time I had long trouser and heavy shoes, everyone was joking about me....next day they were bitten from sandflies (or similar no one knows) I had no bites....

• Like 1

Also no short sleeves is just plain silly, even immigration officers wear short sleeves.

Shall we humor them and ask them to go and get changed ? biggrin.png

THAILAND_1__926109f.jpg

Sorry, 'missed that. Where did anyone/anything say no short-sleeved shirts?? I DID see one member saying he chose not to wear a short-sleeved shirt in order to conceal his tats.

Short sleeve collared business shirts, polos, and uniforms shirts are entirely respectable. Whatever they got that scumbag for the suspect appears properly dressed.

(Sign says no short top,shows something with clingy short sleeves with low decline. I think for ladies)

Agreed. 'Trying to figure out what Kitsune is talking about... She even specifically refers - derisively - to the short-sleeve uniform shirts the IOs in the picture are wearing, but I don't see anything that precludes them being worn by us.

Edited by hawker9000

As I get older and crankier I cannot, for the life of me, see any purpose in a customer required dress code instituted by a bunch of minor bureaucrats, except to prove that they have the power and the ability to hassle the Falangs. I am also amazed at how many in this forum are so willing to justify, rationalize and generalize about how this is right and correct and fair and why we should be thoroughly happy and willing to jump when those bureaucrats, who often seem to enjoy making up rules and costs on the spot, tell us to hop.

So whats your solution? Should we take strike action or a have a massive demonstration outside every immigration office ?

My solution is easy; leave. I learned long-ago to not bury myself in commitments in any place. I have grown quite weary of Thailand and all its trials and tribulations. My wife and I would have gone already, except for the fact our grandson, son, and daughter-in-law are here. My old grand pappy used to say, "If it feels good do it, if it doesn't, do something else." Thailand doesn't feel as good as it did.

I am going to immigration tomorrow and will dress as I normally dress. polo shirt, shorts and thongs. I have had a pedicure, manicure and nose hair trimmed today so it should be ok.

the Philippines insist on long trousers when you go to immigration which was a problem as I did not have any. luckily the immigration officer took my forms from me at the door and returned them to me without me going into the office.

• Like 1

Nothing "NEW" !

Phuket have had these signs since at least last February.

I think it's unreasonable to ban sandals and short pants in beach resort areas like Phuket and Pattaya.
sandals and short pants are for the beach, not a government building.

What a load of utter crap !!!

you are the sort of tourist which this country needs
  • Like 2

As I get older and crankier I cannot, for the life of me, see any purpose in a customer required dress code instituted by a bunch of minor bureaucrats, except to prove that they have the power and the ability to hassle the Falangs. I am also amazed at how many in this forum are so willing to justify, rationalize and generalize about how this is right and correct and fair and why we should be thoroughly happy and willing to jump when those bureaucrats, who often seem to enjoy making up rules and costs on the spot, tell us to hop.

So whats your solution? Should we take strike action or a have a massive demonstration outside every immigration office ?

My solution is easy; leave. I learned long-ago to not bury myself in commitments in any place. I have grown quite weary of Thailand and all its trials and tribulations. My wife and I would have gone already, except for the fact our grandson, son, and daughter-in-law are here. My old grand pappy used to say, "If it feels good do it, if it doesn't, do something else." Thailand doesn't feel as good as it did.

That's a pretty extreme suggestion - to avoid having to wear long pants and shoes on a visit to the immigration office once a year (if you're on a retirement or marriage extension) one should pack up and leave the country. You can report online these days and save yourself 4 extra visits.

I'll give you some better advice... It's always greener on the other side of the fence. No matter where you go there will always be things that irritate you, so rather than move, just don't sweat the small stuff. Utopia doesn't exist, so save yourself the stress of trying to find it.smile.png

• Like 1

This should be a non-issue. Everyone should know how to dress appropriately.

If it wasn't for some bums, these signs would never have been placed.

No doubt some people, perhaps many really stretched things and go in with the backpacker look. Dirty, torn clothes, etc. I still think a decent pair of shorts and a clean shirt should be allowed. It is the tropics and it is hot outside.

• Like 1

I am going to immigration tomorrow and will dress as I normally dress. polo shirt, shorts and thongs. I have had a pedicure, manicure and nose hair trimmed today so it should be ok.

the Philippines insist on long trousers when you go to immigration which was a problem as I did not have any. luckily the immigration officer took my forms from me at the door and returned them to me without me going into the office.

How did your trip to Imm go yesterday?

• Like 1

What ever happened to the saying 'Don't judge a book by its cover?

As above, "Thais are by culture, very judgmental and image conscious".

Despite all the enlightened hocus pocus from their national religion, that addage doesn't apply here.

Despite all the enlightened hocus pocus from their national religion, that addage doesn't apply here.

That's a Thai thing? People don't judge poorly dressed people in your home country? I don't think there's a country on earth where people don't "judge a book by its cover".

That's a Thai thing? People don't judge poorly dressed people in your home country? I don't think there's a country on earth where people don't "judge a book by its cover".

I wouldn't get too wound up about it. Given the origin of the phrase and the references to Thai culture in this thread, it was convenient.

However, there are varying degrees of emphasis put on appearance, and consequences arising from it, in different parts of the world. You can see that in the range of comments and attitudes here, and perhaps in your own experience.

"Do no judge a book by its cover" might cause people in another society to pause and reflect on how they regard others, whereas it may not have the same amount of force here in Thailand/Asia, et al.

Edited by 55Jay

You have no long trouser?

What do you do when you go in a restaurant eating? short trouser? crazy.gif

What kind / class of restaurant?

Anybody who has half a brain knows that when dealing with authority, and especially when that authority wealds considerable power over your future in a country, should dress appropriately.

Half a brain maybe in your mind. I dressed for private school with my little hat all those years ago. What is wrong with T shirt shorts and flip flops in a sometimes very oppressive heat . The only thing making sense is the word oppressive.

Immigration officers are basically clerks . Never wanted to live in place like Vietnam even though I love it. Reason being some forms of suppression and RULES.

THAILAND can't help but try to keep people living in world of restriction. What next????? All Tattos must be covered. Good luck for all the blokes with them on face

The guys with tattoos on their face are not blessed with luck, brains or beauty.

Nothing "NEW" !

When I was at Phuket Immi last year it took all day.

I was seated near the staff lunchroom at lunchtime.

The majority of the male Immi staff were wearing polo shirts, tracky daks and sandals.

Double standards?

Nothing "NEW" !

When I was at Phuket Immi last year it took all day.

I was seated near the staff lunchroom at lunchtime.

The majority of the male Immi staff were wearing polo shirts, tracky daks and sandals.

Double standards?

And what are you going to do to get these absolutely scandaleous double standards addressed ? A sit-in at the immigration office ? Refuse to renew your visa/ extension in protest :rolleyes: Edited by Soutpeel

any other than the beach bar....

Not even a problem of class.

I saw clients of the Pattaya Hilton going in/out in Bermuda shorts. smile.png

I saw clients of the Hilton's restaurant in Bermuda too.

When you are in a seaside resort at a few steps from the sea,

you certainly don't dress as in a Bangkok business center,

even to go in a restaurant... or at an Immigration Office. wink.png

A normal blue jean will do in a restaurant. That is not exactly business center like....

Not even a problem of class.

I saw clients of the Pattaya Hilton going in/out in Bermuda shorts. smile.png

I saw clients of the Hilton's restaurant in Bermuda too.

When you are in a seaside resort at a few steps from the sea,

you certainly don't dress as in a Bangkok business center,

even to go in a restaurant... or at an Immigration Office. wink.png

A normal blue jean will do in a restaurant. That is not exactly business center like....

Jeans would be fine for immigration too... But it seems like that is still asking too much of some people here... Lol

any other than the beach bar....

It's not proximity to a beach bar. That's narrow minded and stodgy. Time of day and venue also informs dress etiquette.

Shorts don't have to conjure the image of an unshaven farang in dirty shorts and stained t-shirt holding a Chang beer bottle.

I live far from a beach, expats gather for lunch or an early dinner wearing a nice pair of shorts, and a nice button Tommy Bahama shirt, for example. Thais don't turn up their noses, it's quite acceptable.

However, we share an unspoken etiquette that, when the sun goes down, and we go to a more upscale venue, the women dress up a bit more, and the men wear trousers.

On topic, I've worn my "smart relaxed" daily attire to Immigration on occasion as well, and didn't get the stink eye. Some of us can pull it off and still command respect, others can't.

Edit: Add photo.post-134393-0-50770400-1444887353_thumb.

Edited by 55Jay

Korat Immigration were imposing a 'Dress Code' about 7 years ago when they were in the old TOT building. Nobody paid attention to it as far as I was aware. Once they moved to Chok Chai the notice was never seen again.