Bangkok Immigration Announces New Dress Code

Ran out of cash in Hong Kong...went to the only bank which would take my credit card...was refused service...

Desperate, went back to hotel...shaved, put on a new suit I had just purchased, went back in and they were all smiles...

Still ticks me off today...when I think about it...

Did you dream this??? Why not use your credit card at an ATM. Frankly this is a nonsense . So your suggesting someone needs to wear bag of fruit to bank to withdraw money. Rubbish.

No, I did not dream this...it happened back in the late 60s...there was only one bank...and I had to adhere to the Chinese dress code to be able to use my card...why on earth would I need to make up a story? There were no ATM machines available at this time...
A reference to a 50year old event. Is that a record.

Makes you over 70. Good job to still have sharp memory

Edited by jacksam

I think we should have a dress code for people posting on this forum.

The mere thought of possibly reading a post written by someone in shorts and T shirt makes me want to throw up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-uC3FZBpA8

Well you can read my posts, I never wear shorts except for swimming.

I do wear T shirts though.

Long sleeves & no beer belly?

OK, I might keep on reading your posts, but I won't stop shaking my head.

With power comes responsibility!

These guys have the power, so it is your responsibility to pander to their haughtiness!

Thailand likes prides itself on being conservative in its values, but it needs to accept that it now relies heavily on foreign visitors (who come from more liberal societies) for valuable revenue.

So, while it’s fair that foreigners adopt “reasonable” attire, it is also fair for these public service providers to exercise a bit of common sense and tolerance, and focus more on providing customer service and respect, and less on how the customer is dressed!

I don't see it as "pandering to their haughtiness." If you worked at an office dealing with a large population of haughty slobs then you might see a stricter dress code as a polite way of telling people to clean up their act, literally.

attachicon.gifpost-18167.jpg

Not at all! Customers should be treated with respect regardless of how they dress. Most Western countries would have this enshrined in a code of ethics for their civil servants who deal with the public.

What difference does wearing sandals make when you have to remove your footwear before entering?

Since when do you remove your shoes going to immigration in BKK blink.png

The Prachaub Khirikhan office expects people to remove their shoes. I am sure that there are other provincial offices where this is required.

So then why would anyone other than a "look what a bright boy am I !" third grader even ask such a question, since the sign was posted at Chaeng Wattana, and not some other "provincial office"?

Dammit! Everybody in Thailand has a uniform except visa seeking expats and immigrants. Why not? Something in navy blue with lots of brass buttons, lanyards and caps with gold braid. Decorated with battalions of medallions. Aye, we would be a smart looking lot we would conform to every conceivable dictate to boot.

Have you ever seen the British Royal Family and all their fancy medals?

Prince Chuck, Prince Andy the freeloader, and the rest of them. Jokes.

Very true.

But they do not have a monopoly.

New dress suggestion ?. Look smart, No tank tops, beach shorts, flip flops.

attachicon.gifdress.jpg

And no beard, no mustache. Only animals have hair on their faces.

May I remind you, humans are animals. I think rather than a dress code, the Thais need to enforce financial minimums on farangs. For example, every farang who wants to stay in Thailand must spend--not just show earnings or possession of, but spend in Thailand--at least USD3,000/mo. If you don't have it, stay home, or go elsewhere. Might rid Thailand of most of the trouser-wearing smart dressing low-lifes.

I once arrived at a 5 star hotel in Bangkok and at reception was

a tall skinny guy holding a glass of red wine welcome drink, had

a white T-shirt that had seen better days and looked dirty, a pair of

small shorts and thongs (flipper flops) a real quality tourist, saved

up his loose change for a holiday in Thailand, i was very embaresed

to be a westerner, the reception girls looked really beautiful and smart,

probably had more money than this high quality tourist.

Nothing "NEW" !

Phuket have had these signs since at least last February.

I think it's unreasonable to ban sandals and short pants in beach resort areas like Phuket and Pattaya.

I think it is unreasonable anywhere in a country with a tropical climate. More so considering the vast majority of the locals wear shorts and flip flops every day.

But the locals don`t turn up for an important appointment in an goverment office wearing shorts and flip flops.I agree with some standard when visiting a goverment office............many farang slobs obviously doesn`t.

• Like 2

New dress suggestion ?. Look smart, No tank tops, beach shorts, flip flops.

attachicon.gifdress.jpg

And no beard, no mustache. Only animals have hair on their faces.

May I remind you, humans are animals. I think rather than a dress code, the Thais need to enforce financial minimums on farangs. For example, every farang who wants to stay in Thailand must spend--not just show earnings or possession of, but spend in Thailand--at least USD3,000/mo. If you don't have it, stay home, or go elsewhere. Might rid Thailand of most of the trouser-wearing smart dressing low-lifes.

You're mistaking Thailand for a country like Australia. Dream on, dude.

• Like 1

Nothing "NEW" !

I think it's unreasonable to ban sandals and short pants in beach resort areas like Phuket and Pattaya.

I'll have to get my long pants out of mothballs LOL.

A dress code should not be required. Adults should know how to dress appropriately.

Rationalize it however you want. Go ahead and go to Immigration dressed like a bum; do not whine when you are treated as one.

Like it or not, appearances matter.

When I go to Immigration, or any other government office, I dress the same way as I do for work...jeans and long-sleeved dress shirt (have to hide those scary tattoos).

The goal of a visit to a governmental office is not to express your individuality (Look! I am unique! A slob like everyone else!)....the goal is to complete one's business there successfully, and hopefully in a pleasant and timely manner. Whatever I can do to stack the deck in my favor, I am going to do.

By the same token, I do not wear shorts and t-shirt when I fly also.

The dress nazi arrives. biggrin.png

I always wear a nice t-shirt and shorts when I fly and I never experience any negative reaction by Immigration officials at various ports.

As far as the Chonburi immigration office is concerned, I don't see people wearing tank-tops, shorts and flip-flops, with zillions of tattoos being treated badly or experiencing problems. At that particular office appearances don't seem to matter at all.

• Like 2

I don't disagree but it is petty.

I disagree........

Plenty of places don't want near naked people wandering around them.

The Mall is one another where it seems inappropriate, the mosque, a church, most certainly a government office.

It not only demonstrates a severe lack of respect, but either arrogance or stupidity.

Sure, it gets hot here, so shorts and a T-shirt should be accepted, but I cannot see the OP sign. I go on my motorcycle and swap into a shirt outside.

We could turn this into a win win situation.

Farang shows respect by wearing long pants and shirt, and possibly a tie.

Immigration shows respect by providing proper service, and possibly not extorting money.

If we could mandate proper service by wearing trousers, it might be worth it. However . . .

What I fail to see is how wearing long pants equates to respect.

• Like 2

Immigration shows respect by providing proper service, and possibly not extorting money.

More like dress like a penguin AND get extorted.

I'm sorry I am not wearing closed shoes by 45 degrees.

It's unsustainable, since it assumes you are in 100% aircon environment.

• Like 2

Anybody who has half a brain knows that when dealing with authority, and especially when that authority wealds considerable power over your future in a country, should dress appropriately.

yes, but on the other hand anyone with half a brain can spell wields.

these signs have been around for years.

• Like 1

More like dress like a penguin AND get extorted.

I'm sorry I am not wearing closed shoes by 45 degrees.

It's unsustainable, since it assumes you are in 100% aircon environment.

to claim closed shoes are unsustainable is exquisitely ridiculous. i wear them daily, and i am not alone.

please note that everyone working in the immigration office is wearing unsustainable shoes.

• Like 1

Simple and obvious solution here don't go to Imigration don't use them if you can't dress accordingly. Simples really.

And yes there are leagal ways that you would never have to step into immigration and still live here

• Like 1

Nothing "NEW" !

Considering that the main footwear of Thailand is a sandal or thongs then we are being treated differently again. Once again do as i say not as I do!

• Like 1

I think we should have a dress code for people posting on this forum.

The mere thought of possibly reading a post written by someone in shorts and T shirt makes me want to throw up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-uC3FZBpA8

Well you can read my posts, I never wear shorts except for swimming.

I do wear T shirts though.

Long sleeves & no beer belly?

OK, I might keep on reading your posts, but I won't stop shaking my head.

Sometimes long sleeves, no wifebeater, and no beer belly, 6ft tall and 76 K.

• Like 1

Dress code for sure, but be sensible about it. I see nothing wrong with short sleeve, ironed, collared shirt..... not polo shirt. Tailored, knee length shorts. Enclosed sandals.

Pity the airlines don't introduce some sort of dress code. I fly dress as described as above. I don't consider it acceptable to see pimply, sweaty arms & shoulders & dirty smelly feet old in old flip flops. But that's just me.

Immigration & for that matter, all government offices suggesting farang show respect by way of dress. Does such respect extend to not demanding, accepting under the counter payment ? Silly me for thinking such a thing.

• Like 1