Bangkok Immigration Announces New Dress Code

Why ? This is not your country. Can,t deal with the rules LEAVE!

Nothing "NEW" !

Phuket have had these signs since at least last February.

I think it's unreasonable to ban sandals and short pants in beach resort areas like Phuket and Pattaya.

Well I would follow the rules if those were the rules at the office that I use. But they aren't.

I guess there are limits though.

If they changed the rules to be we need to crawl on the floor in a thong while approaching their desks and then lick their feet ... yes, I would leave.

Those heavily into S and M would of course ... stay.

I am joking around a bit ... but I kind of think this is part of the spirit of rules like this ... showing us who has power and who are the peons in the relationship. As if we didn't know.

Personally, I was given that message loud and clear the very first time I applied for a retirement extension. It was like a HAZING session. Of course, no choice but to play along and to not lose your temper ... otherwise, you're screwed.

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

Since retiring, I have seldom worn anything other than shorts, t-shirts and sandals...all clean, respectable and good quality.

That is my right.

I would not, however, show up in short-shorts or a tank top or flip-flops....at Immigration or anywhere else, except the pool.

Please remember that we pay for many of the services at Immigration and, therefore, are paying customers....or at least "paying guests".

We are certainly not simply "guests" in any sense of the word, with all that that implies in terms of civility and generosity on the part of our "hosts"!

So you're civilized and proper. Deferential, ingratiation, submissive, and overly respectful. A clone.

That's so sad you've given up your individuality to placate a xenophobic culture which has no real respect for you and your own culture at all.

With power comes responsibility!

These guys have the power, so it is your responsibility to pander to their haughtiness!

Thailand likes prides itself on being conservative in its values, but it needs to accept that it now relies heavily on foreign visitors (who come from more liberal societies) for valuable revenue.

So, while it’s fair that foreigners adopt “reasonable” attire, it is also fair for these public service providers to exercise a bit of common sense and tolerance, and focus more on providing customer service and respect, and less on how the customer is dressed!

post-209291-0-26310000-1444305480_thumb.

I originally thought this post was the about the dress standard of the immigration service.

In our local office they wear their uniform on Monday and wear over washed polo shirts for the rest of the week , they roll up after the national anthem, slide off at 11.00 for an early lunch - reappearing picking food out of their teeth, then openly sleep at their desks for the 12.00 lunch break. They throw UK crown property ( i.e passports ) around, have a total disregard to Thai money which is left lying around on desks, then in the afternoon, they sit around shouting at 'bon on the TV.

Get your own act together first people.

Don't complain when tourists arrive in their tourist attire to extend their tourist visas.

Ran out of cash in Hong Kong...went to the only bank which would take my credit card...was refused service...

Desperate, went back to hotel...shaved, put on a new suit I had just purchased, went back in and they were all smiles...

Still ticks me off today...when I think about it...

It just shows that 50% of westerners that come here couldn't give a damn. They leave their brains at Stansted because they are more worried about beer and sex than keeping up certain human standards which are not particularly demanding and show that manners maketh man.

Yes it is hot in tropical counties, but there are nice linen shirts and light trousers available.

If I had to go to a London embassy or police station or tax office, I would not go smelling of dirty feet and wearing Nepalese Love Beads. Would you?

Council trash and trailer trash, or crooks on the run. What else did you expect?

No, you never take your shoes off at Immigration. You need to go to different desks (etc.), so removal of shoes would be barmy.

Eddy

One non-verifiable thing you mention is regarding Human standards. From some of the people I have seen in Thailand it is questionable if they have ever been human

• Like 1

Nothing "NEW" !

I think it's unreasonable to ban sandals and short pants in beach resort areas like Phuket and Pattaya.

Why? Did you flew in wearing beach clothing and sandal to Thailand???

Ran out of cash in Hong Kong...went to the only bank which would take my credit card...was refused service...

Desperate, went back to hotel...shaved, put on a new suit I had just purchased, went back in and they were all smiles...

Did you dream this??? Why not use your credit card at an ATM. Frankly this is a nonsense . So your suggesting someone needs to wear bag of fruit to bank to withdraw money. Rubbish.

• Like 1

I often wear shorts to CW and when I do, I sports wrap my knee and fake a tiny limp.

Next time I'll include a walking cane to the charade.

I suggest an eyepatch, maybe work in a few weeping sores.

What's next from immigration to show the lowly honky who's boss- flaming hoops? Oh wait...

Edited by FBlue72

New dress suggestion ?. Look smart, No tank tops, beach shorts, flip flops.

attachicon.gifdress.jpg

I knew sarcasm was a big mistake about the fooolishness over a stupid handshake and saying it reminded me of children getting their picture took with Santa for the first time.

Someday I'll listen to myself. Do you think if I take an elf with me around Christmas It'll be ok to wear a Santa suit it it has the patent leather boots and belt?

Should have a sign in BIG BLOCK LETTERS telling people to frikken shower BEFORE going to Immigration. When I'm one of the first people in line when the office opens in the morning and I can smell stale BO from people ahead and behind me that smell like they haven't showered in 2-3 days (at least) then something's wrong. (When I was in the army and we'd be out on field exercises sometimes you could go days without being able to shower or change clothes - some of the people going to Immigration smell that bad and there's no excuse for it.)

Frikken shower, use some deodorant and clean clothes before going to Immigration. No bluddy wonder some people have a hard time when they go there.

You must've been standing in the line for British expats!!!! ???

It shouldn't be a big deal for anyone. I wouldn't go into a government office in Australia dressed for the beach. Why would anyone think you can do that here. Respect is universal.

Well i do go to govt.offices in Oz dress for the beach,because that's where i am going after for a micky merv.Ozzys are way past this pettiness.Most of us respect a person on how they act,talk etc.not on what we wear,fake if you ask me.Personal hygene is a different matter,especially here.

• Like 1

I see nothing wrong with sensible shorts or 3/4 length etc, a lot of people going should be tourists & as such not packed or have clean smarter stuff available for sudden possibly unplanned trips to immigration, also the climate condition are extreme making some clothing unbearable to some. you can be smart enough in a clean t-shirt or short sleeved shirt & long shorts in my opinion, indeed a few people turn up inappropriate but those people will still do same as they not the type to question or look at dress code to start with .

• Like 2

It is way overdue. Wish they would require this for all of Thailand indoors and out. The majority of foreign women dress like hookers and the men look like complete alcoholic slobs.

And thank Bhudda for it,especially the women,just competing with the locals.

It just shows that 50% of westerners that come here couldn't give a damn. They leave their brains at Stansted because they are more worried about beer and sex than keeping up certain human standards which are not particularly demanding and show that manners maketh man.

Yes it is hot in tropical counties, but there are nice linen shirts and light trousers available.

If I had to go to a London embassy or police station or tax office, I would not go smelling of dirty feet and wearing Nepalese Love Beads. Would you?

Council trash and trailer trash, or crooks on the run. What else did you expect?

No, you never take your shoes off at Immigration. You need to go to different desks (etc.), so removal of shoes would be barmy.

Eddy

Glad my Dad left Blighty as a kid and settled in Australia if thats how they brainwash you in the old world.Let me make this point,how come a woman can wear a vest and be smartly dressed and a bloke with hairless pits can wear a very similiar vest and be labelled a slob.

• Like 1

Nothing "NEW" !

Why? Did you flew in wearing beach clothing and sandal to Thailand???

I do and my arms were very tired.

Did you dream this??? Why not use your credit card at an ATM. Frankly this is a nonsense . So your suggesting someone needs to wear bag of fruit to bank to withdraw money. Rubbish.

No, I did not dream this...it happened back in the late 60s...there was only one bank...and I had to adhere to the Chinese dress code to be able to use my card...why on earth would I need to make up a story? There were no ATM machines available at this time...

• Like 1

I often wear shorts to CW and when I do, I sports wrap my knee and fake a tiny limp.

Next time I'll include a walking cane to the charade.

The officer should tell you to go and come back the next day dressed in long trousers.

I think we should have a dress code for people posting on this forum.

The mere thought of possibly reading a post written by someone in shorts and T shirt makes me want to throw up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-uC3FZBpA8

Well you can read my posts, I never wear shorts except for swimming.

I do wear T shirts though.

• Like 1

Thai's generally do "outdress" the farangs.

very embarrassing.

Until they stick their finger up their nose and their cover is blown.Vain and superficial.

Aah Louse1953, we are kindred spirits. In just one short sentence YOU have so succinctly captured the essence of Thainess!

As Jane Austin remarked, “Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves; vanity, to what we would have others think of us”.

After 40 years of marriage (to a Thai), my wife and I still argue about what constitutes Thai etiquette – I can still remember attending functions in BKK back in the 1970's where "ladies” would do that very thing quite openly, yet they would (and still do today) cover their mouth with a hand while they used a tooth pick. They used to have no compunction about spitting either!

If the buffoons at the Immigration Bureau have a problem with dress code, then might I suggest they take the time to look at what some Thai female university students wear! I guess I have to admit that (in their defence) at least they shower regularly.

Edited by waldroj

With power comes responsibility!

These guys have the power, so it is your responsibility to pander to their haughtiness!

Thailand likes prides itself on being conservative in its values, but it needs to accept that it now relies heavily on foreign visitors (who come from more liberal societies) for valuable revenue.

So, while it’s fair that foreigners adopt “reasonable” attire, it is also fair for these public service providers to exercise a bit of common sense and tolerance, and focus more on providing customer service and respect, and less on how the customer is dressed!

I don't see it as "pandering to their haughtiness." If you worked at an office dealing with a large population of haughty slobs then you might see a stricter dress code as a polite way of telling people to clean up their act, literally.

post-26657-0-47202500-1444316403_thumb.j

• Like 1