Bangkok Immigration Announces New Dress Code

I don't disagree but it is petty.

I disagree........

Plenty of places don't want near naked people wandering around them.

The Mall is one another where it seems inappropriate, the mosque, a church, most certainly a government office.

It not only demonstrates a severe lack of respect, but either arrogance or stupidity.

Sure, it gets hot here, so shorts and a T-shirt should be accepted, but I cannot see the OP sign. I go on my motorcycle and swap into a shirt outside.

I agree.

The other half of my reaction stems from a visceral rejection of officious civil servants emboldened by a military government herding peasants like cattle. Conform. Comply. Conceal contempt behind a superficial smile. Avoid confrontation.

Personally, I've always dressed appropriately. All transactions smooth as silk so far. Touch wood.

We could turn this into a win win situation.

Farang shows respect by wearing long pants and shirt, and possibly a tie.

Immigration shows respect by providing proper service, and possibly not extorting money.

More like dress like a penguin AND get extorted.

I'm sorry I am not wearing closed shoes by 45 degrees.

It's unsustainable, since it assumes you are in 100% aircon environment.

It may be 45C in the western desert but highest temperature ever recorded in Thailand was 44.5C. Average temp here around 30C.

Too much midnight oil mate?

Dont know about you lot but i dont even think i have trousers.

I doubt your legs are pretty. Please get a pair of long trouser and dress like an adult not an overgrown child.

What is that supposed to mean? Is that an attempt at humour? WOW you must spend a few quid on bar fines you mong!!!

Almost every post that complains about flip flops T shirt and shorts straight anyway deems it necessary to add .....'...'.smelly, dirty , etc etc.

Why is this. The above attire is exactly how I dress every day. Fact is they are fresh clothes every day and clean as I am. To make an extra point,I am clean shaven , but so what. What if I had a 3 day growth. Does that rule me out. Find this whole thing absurd

• Like 2

Since retiring, I have seldom worn anything other than shorts, t-shirts and sandals...all clean, respectable and good quality.

That is my right.

I would not, however, show up in short-shorts or a tank top or flip-flops....at Immigration or anywhere else, except the pool.

Please remember that we pay for many of the services at Immigration and, therefore, are paying customers....or at least "paying guests".

We are certainly not simply "guests" in any sense of the word, with all that that implies in terms of civility and generosity on the part of our "hosts"!

Ever been to a high-class restaurant that requires a sports jacket or tie? Yes, they require these of PAYING customers.

On second thought, you probably haven't.

Edited by Fookhaht

This is all getting silly what prey is the hassle for maybe 2hrs wearing trousers shirt and shoes when I say shoes I wear closed cloth type shoes I own 1 pair just for visits to goverment offices which I may add includes local Amphur it's called respect. I have been in only 2 immigration officers and both have been air conditioned and in fact on the cold side. Amphur the same other air conditioned. So the problem is !!!!!!!!!..............

Answers will fit on the head of a pin.

Ps if you feel uncomfortable wearing this nothing stopping you wearing a skirt and blouse there no law against that here.

Edited by Sutty
  • Like 1

Anybody who has half a brain knows that when dealing with authority, and especially when that authority wealds considerable power over your future in a country, should dress appropriately.

Half a brain maybe in your mind. I dressed for private school with my little hat all those years ago. What is wrong with T shirt shorts and flip flops in a sometimes very oppressive heat . The only thing making sense is the word oppressive.

Immigration officers are basically clerks . Never wanted to live in place like Vietnam even though I love it. Reason being some forms of suppression and RULES.

THAILAND can't help but try to keep people living in world of restriction. What next????? All Tattos must be covered. Good luck for all the blokes with them on face

Alright then Jack. Do your next visa extension in your swimming trunks.

Thais attach a stigma to shorts.

You think ! Maybe in BKK but in the part of Isaan I reside no problems whatsoever. Most of the neighbors, Thai male, wear shorts into town for hospital, visit, banking & government business.

Just saying..... Mal.

• Like 1

It shouldn't be a big deal for anyone. I wouldn't go into a government office in Australia dressed for the beach. Why would anyone think you can do that here. Respect is universal.

Can't agree more. The problem is many people dumb down when they get here and lose respect for themselves while disrespecting our hosts.

• Like 2

It shouldn't be a big deal for anyone. I wouldn't go into a government office in Australia dressed for the beach. Why would anyone think you can do that here. Respect is universal.

Can't agree more. The problem is many people dumb down when they get here and lose respect for themselves while disrespecting our hosts.

Whilst I agree dressing for occasions is the right thing to do but because a few and I've no figures just observations act the big I am that's not enough to generalise is it !!!! Having read thousands of posts on here I notice all to frequently there is a them and us attitude here by them I mean the ones who belive they are shall we say belive they are better due to loving here longer than the rest

So respect for all nationalities would be a good start

I have seen Russian girls in Chonburi Immigration in their bikini!

They were wearing less clothes than a go-go girl at work and surprised that Immigration Officer didn't even want to talk to her - other Russians had to explain to her to go home and wear decent clothes first.

the female immigration officers didn't want to speak with them.....I guess some of the male would have pardon this little mistake smile.png

I would have, even it is disgusting to have to look at the beautiful shaped body of a young woman. gigglem.gifgiggle.gif

A dress code should not be required. Adults should know how to dress appropriately.

Rationalize it however you want. Go ahead and go to Immigration dressed like a bum; do not whine when you are treated as one.

Like it or not, appearances matter.

When I go to Immigration, or any other government office, I dress the same way as I do for work...jeans and long-sleeved dress shirt (have to hide those scary tattoos).

The goal of a visit to a governmental office is not to express your individuality (Look! I am unique! A slob like everyone else!)....the goal is to complete one's business there successfully, and hopefully in a pleasant and timely manner. Whatever I can do to stack the deck in my favor, I am going to do.

By the same token, I do not wear shorts and t-shirt when I fly also.

True, adults should dress appropriately!

But looking from the other side, professional government clerks must treat everyone the same no matter what clothes.

Even someone who complete disrespect them should be treated the same under the law which doesn't differ between well and bad dressed people.

"It shouldn't be a big deal for anyone. I wouldn't go into a government office in Australia dressed for the beach. Why would anyone think you can do that here. Respect is universal."

Me thinks you haven't been to a Centrelink office on the Gold Coast or Cairns district recently.

• Like 1

// I have been in only 2 immigration offices and both have been air conditioned and in fact on the cold side.

Amphur the same other air conditioned. So the problem is !!!!!!!!!..............

The problem is not in the office, but the ride to go to this office !

Of course no problem if you are in Bangkok: taxi, BTS, metro,... you have aircon all the way smile.png

In Pattaya, transport is bahtbus or motorbike, none with aircon. If ever I put jeans and long leaves shirt, with the local temperature and humidity, I would be fully sweaty (and probably smelly too) when arriving at Jomtien Immigration bah.gif . Officers certainly prefer a non-sweaty guy in clean T-shirt & Bermuda cool.png

// I have been in only 2 immigration offices and both have been air conditioned and in fact on the cold side.

Amphur the same other air conditioned. So the problem is !!!!!!!!!..............

The problem is not in the office, but the ride to go to this office !

Of course no problem if you are in Bangkok: taxi, BTS, metro,... you have aircon all the way smile.png

In Pattaya, transport is bahtbus or motorbike, none with aircon. If ever I put jeans and long leaves shirt, with the local temperature and humidity, I would be fully sweaty (and probably smelly too) when arriving at Jomtien Immigration bah.gif . Officers certainly prefer a non-sweaty guy in clean T-shirt & Bermuda cool.png

Taxi????? Won't break the bank

Ran out of cash in Hong Kong...went to the only bank which would take my credit card...was refused service...

Desperate, went back to hotel...shaved, put on a new suit I had just purchased, went back in and they were all smiles...

Still ticks me off today...when I think about it...

When dealing with banks, it's always a good idea to be dressed better than anyone else in the building. Something that just shouts 'Armani'. It's amazing how deferential some Thai can become when they encounter: "A sharp dressed man."

Edited by connda

Again Pattaya is not Bangkok where you can pay not even 50 baht for a taxi.

In Pattaya it very probably will cost you 300 baht, each way!

The Pattaya said "taximeters" just refuse to use their meter... sad.png

Had a condo in Naklua so used baht bus to town then jumped in a taxi by walking street charge 10bht on meter did it four times always 10bht last time was August.

This is all getting silly what prey is the hassle for maybe 2hrs wearing trousers shirt and shoes when I say shoes I wear closed cloth type shoes I own 1 pair just for visits to goverment offices which I may add includes local Amphur it's called respect. I have been in only 2 immigration officers and both have been air conditioned and in fact on the cold side. Amphur the same other air conditioned. So the problem is !!!!!!!!!..............

Answers will fit on the head of a pin.

Ps if you feel uncomfortable wearing this nothing stopping you wearing a skirt and blouse there no law against that here.

When I retired, I threw out or gave away all my suits, collared shirts, trousers, ties, and shoes. I lived in Florida, then the Philippines, and now Thailand--warm weather and casual dress areas all. I meet the civil, medical, and financial requirements to retire in Thailand. I have acclimated well, have numerous Thai friends, and spend a lot of money here without breaking any laws or causing any trouble. I simply do not see the need for long-pants and closed toed shoes. I fully intend to continue wearing shorts, sandals, and no collar shirts.

• Like 2

Had a condo in Naklua so used baht bus to town then jumped in a taxi by walking street charge 10bht on meter did it four times always 10bht last time was August.

Pattaya doesn't have taxis that use meters.

10 baht? You mean the baht bus fare from South Pattaya to Jomtien. Yes, that is 10 baht.

Now we need one prohibiting unbathed, obese men in dirty smelly clothes with their fat bellies hanging out below their dirty worn out t-shirt, smelling like stale beer.

I am disgusted by some of the bums I see in the immigration office, and embarrassed if the appear to be from my home country.

• Like 1