Moving finally to Thailand - what can you bring "Toll free" with you?

4jasmin

lets say, you decide moving finally to Thailand

actually, everybody is allowed to bring certain Household Goods and other personal Stuff with you ( even in a moving Container)

what can you bring "Toll free" with you into the Kingdom?

and how you arrange all the Stuff at the Customes, what comes within a Moving Container from Oversea?

NOTHING IS FREE,nevermind what you read and there is plenty on the subject you will get a bill at the end.lets not call it customs tea money its AGENTS FEE.

first find a shipping agent[plenty of advice] here.

I would suggest you check the rules and preveiling tax rates.. actually you might be wrong in the statement "everyone is allowed".....

How to arrange stuff at customs ?

You retain a clearing agent to do it for you who will also advise on what import duties need to be paid

Information here:

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+

Extract:

"REQUIREMENTS FOR DUTY FREE ALLOWANCE

Both Thai and non-Thai residents changing residence into Thailand are eligible to bring used/secondhand household effects into Thailand, in reasonable quantities, free of taxes and duties. It is also required that the imported used/ secondhand household effects have been owned, possessed, and used in the country where the importers resided before returning to Thailand to resume residence.
In case where the household effects are electrical appliances e.g. radios, televisions, refrigerators, microwaves, ovens, air conditioners, etc., only ONE unit each of such items is eligible for tax and duty free allowance. However, if it is the family change of residence, TWO units each of the items will be allowed to bring in tax and duty free. Any excess unit shall be subject to regular taxes and duties, and Customs will place the items that have the lowest rate of duty under tax and duty exemption.
It is important that the used/secondhand household effects must be imported not earlier than one month before or not later than six months after the arrival of the importers. Under exceptional circumstances, Customs may extend the time limits for the importers. "

Only people who can bring anything free is return thai Citizen, people with Work permit and diplomats. But there are still requirements and conditions to be complied with. Know that customs officials do not stick to the written rules. They tried with me and my Thai wife, but they got nothing. We shipped in my wife name and we had a good moving Company who toke good care of everything. They started at 125.000 bath, then 50.000 bath. Then they wanted 12.000 bath for not open the container. The moving Company said they could to, but that they had to have representative present and that they would take Picture of everything that custom did and that custom had to load the container Again with no breakage. Custom just stamped the paper released the container.

I used Allied Pickford's to move some things from UK to Thailand. They knew what was what, very professional & nothing was broken. They'll help with what is subject to tax & what isn't

What actually "some things".? I live in los and can see myself here for good. Naturally I have Lot of stuff in AU. I cannot imagine how it would not be more simple and cheaper to off load or gift to family things like an LED tv etc and buy new here. Can someone enlightened me

From my first hand experience customs are corrupt, they make their own rules and charge what they want.

For me it was $1000 Aust. to "fast track",..in other words not to open my container.

They said it would cost at last twice that much to open and check everything. I know all my was scrutinised heavily by a reputable removalist company before shipping. I had nothing that was Dutyable ,..nothing new.

I did have the choice but really it was going to cost anyway,....realised you can't win against corruption ,...so I just paid them the $1000

My stuff was delivered the next day.

Edited by Notowork

Information here:

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+

Extract:

"REQUIREMENTS FOR DUTY FREE ALLOWANCE

Both Thai and non-Thai residents changing residence into Thailand are eligible to bring used/secondhand household effects into Thailand, in reasonable quantities, free of taxes and duties. It is also required that the imported used/ secondhand household effects have been owned, possessed, and used in the country where the importers resided before returning to Thailand to resume residence.

In case where the household effects are electrical appliances e.g. radios, televisions, refrigerators, microwaves, ovens, air conditioners, etc., only ONE unit each of such items is eligible for tax and duty free allowance. However, if it is the family change of residence, TWO units each of the items will be allowed to bring in tax and duty free. Any excess unit shall be subject to regular taxes and duties, and Customs will place the items that have the lowest rate of duty under tax and duty exemption.

It is important that the used/secondhand household effects must be imported not earlier than one month before or not later than six months after the arrival of the importers. Under exceptional circumstances, Customs may extend the time limits for the importers. "

This is correct and it is exactly what I did and used the above to import my wife and myselfs personal items to Thailand excluding a motor vehicle. handled paperwork myself used agent in NZ to supply container loaded it myself and cleared it myself, no duties to pay , brought whole house lot of goods, costs were shipping and delivery by truck to my house here total 2500 UK or $5000 kiwi.

I used Allied Pickford's to move some things from UK to Thailand. They knew what was what, very professional & nothing was broken. They'll help with what is subject to tax & what isn't

What actually "some things".? I live in los and can see myself here for good. Naturally I have Lot of stuff in AU. I cannot imagine how it would not be more simple and cheaper to off load or gift to family things like an LED tv etc and buy new here. Can someone enlightened me

CharlieH's post is correct. If you are not sure which items might attract import duties, send a packing list to your removal agent (Allied Pickford, Crown, HK Transpack, AGS, BluFox - there are many) in advance.

If you have lived here for a while, you might be out of luck. You need to have a new work permit to be eligible for one shipment of household effects (which can be split into one airfreight and one seafreight shipment) to be brought in free of duties. "New" means no older than one year.

What is a little bit unfair here is that you can move to Thailand on a retirement visa, but are not entitled to duty-free import of your removal goods. Because you don't have a new work permit to show at customs.

It's important to note that the Thai Customs Department makes a clear distinction between "Household effects" and "Personal effects" :

From http://www.customs.g...ouseholdeffects

Quote :

IMPORTING USED / SECONDHAND HOUSEHOLD EFFECTS

Returning Thai residents who have been abroad for one year or longer, for the purposes other than touring are eligible to bring in household effects acquired abroad free of taxes and duties. In addition, nonresidents changing their residence to Thailand may import the household effects subject to the conditions stated below without payment of import taxes duties.The term “household effects” includes all goods which are normally necessary to equip a self-contained home e.g. furniture, carpets, books, musical instruments, paintings, tableware, stereos, linens, and similar household furnishings, etc. To be eligible for tax and duty free allowance, the importers are required to have owned, possessed, and used the household effects before they return to Thailand to resume residence. It is important that the importers meet the three requirements of ownership, possession, and use. For example, if they owned and possessed the goods without using them, the goods would be subject to regular taxes and duties. Personal effects accompanied with the owner traveling into or out of Thailand, including any goods used or will be used commercially are not eligible as householdeffects and cannot brought in tax and duty free as the household effects. NOTE: Motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and tobacco are excluded from this relief.

Unquote.

Patrick

Maybe I wasn't clear, but as one previous poster mentioned.....would it not be more simple to off load everything in farang world. When I was posting ....WHAT STUFF...I was meaning what is more economical. Replace of bring kitchen sink with you. Sorry don't get it.

What does it cost to have a container shipped door to door.??? What sort of items would one even consider.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but as one previous poster mentioned.....would it not be more simple to off load everything in farang world. When I was posting ....WHAT STUFF...I was meaning what is more economical. Replace of bring kitchen sink with you. Sorry don't get it.

What does it cost to have a container shipped door to door.??? What sort of items would one even consider.

»…would it not be more simple to off load everything in farang world.«
If you only have easy replaceable stuff, yes, but you may own something you wish to keep, not even because of price, but because of personal value; that could for example be collection of records, CDs, musical instruments; some furniture or paintings etc.
When you anyway need to ship, then anything of some value – even it can be replaced – makes sense, as you otherwise will pay for empty space. If you are going to buy a new kitchen sink here, and has a good one that has none or very low second hand value home in farang-world, it may be worth including it in a container shipment. I had for example space in the container for my good quality, perfect condition sun chairs, garden chairs and tables – they would hardly represent second hand value in farang-world, other than the pleasure gifted away – I would have to buy new stuff here for 20,000+ bath, and even that’s only some 400£, 500euro or 600USD, it’s saved money; however I ended up leaving all furniture behind as I could not imagine them fitting in, here...
wink.png

When I moved here 4 years ago I shipped about 4 cu m of household stuff in a container. My understanding, according to the customs web site that I could import household items duty free and vat free. The container shipped about the same time I arrived in Chiang Mai. I came in on a 90 day business visa with the intention of converting it to retirement visa at the end of the 90 days. When the container reached customs I was was told that I would be charged duty because I did not yet have my retirement visa. So, I paid 15,000 Bhat in duty (no vat). I filled out a detailed listing of everything in the container including used value.

So, unless the rules have changed, if you have a retirement visa you should get your household stuff duty free. If you don't and don't want to pay duty, then hold the container you have the retirement visa.

When I moved here 4 years ago I shipped about 4 cu m of household stuff in a container. My understanding, according to the customs web site that I could import household items duty free and vat free. The container shipped about the same time I arrived in Chiang Mai. I came in on a 90 day business visa with the intention of converting it to retirement visa at the end of the 90 days. When the container reached customs I was was told that I would be charged duty because I did not yet have my retirement visa. So, I paid 15,000 Bhat in duty (no vat). I filled out a detailed listing of everything in the container including used value.

So, unless the rules have changed, if you have a retirement visa you should get your household stuff duty free. If you don't and don't want to pay duty, then hold the container you have the retirement visa.

when my wife returned to thailand after 20yrs.in the uk.she shipped 3cu.mts.of personel items that she had collected.we did bring a lot of stainless steel,

pans,cutlery,a good wok,cut glass,china,and bedding[cotton sheets] it cost 240gbp for the shipping and 18,000bht.for the agent this end which included delivery to korat.

so anybody thinking of bringing the kitchen sink do check all your household goods prices before you do.furniture,tv,oven,hob,beds,rugs are all good quality and cheap. eg.2yrs before we left the uk.we bought a new settee and chairs cost 1500gbp.before we left we gave it away the cushions had sagged and it would have cost over 500gbp.to renew all of them including the covers.

the wife ordered almost the same from a small manufacter in the mall in korat 23,000bht.=450-500gbp.6yrs.on its still like new.

It is all the luck of the draw. Thai Visa is filled with pages and pages of stories or those who have paid a fortune, paid nothing, or paid a little bit

It is determined based upon which Royal Customs Officer is assigned to your shipment. He, not the Customs Department, decides what your "stuff" is worth. And yes you have the right to appeal his assessment but be prepared to pay a lot of money for storage in the secure customs warehouse while your "dispute" is settled. Two weeks of fees for storage will make you wish that you had just paid what was requested in the first place

I was given the option to either pay 80,000 THB for a receipt, or pay 40,000 THB for no receipt. Since the cost of shipping, processing, and delivery were free I opted for the no receipt route

As far as what type of visa you must have, in my case I had a newly issued non immigrant O-A visa and was required to submit my original passport to Royal Thai Customs before my shipment would be released. One of the only things that I have read about the process that is pretty consistent is the requirement for them to see the original passport, not a copy

Only people who can bring anything free is return thai Citizen, people with Work permit and diplomats. But there are still requirements and conditions to be complied with. Know that customs officials do not stick to the written rules. They tried with me and my Thai wife, but they got nothing. We shipped in my wife name and we had a good moving Company who toke good care of everything. They started at 125.000 bath, then 50.000 bath. Then they wanted 12.000 bath for not open the container. The moving Company said they could to, but that they had to have representative present and that they would take Picture of everything that custom did and that custom had to load the container Again with no breakage. Custom just stamped the paper released the container.

From what country and what is name of moving company?

Thanks!