Phuket calm after riot

webfact

Deaths which sparked Phuket riots ruled as accidents
The Phuket News

1444637816_1.jpg
The scene of the riots late on Saturday night.

PHUKET: -- The deaths of the two men which sparked riots at Thalang Police Station over the weekend have been ruled as an accident it was announced earlier today (Oct 12).

Following the deaths, and the riots that followed, a committee made up of doctors, police, province officials and relatives of the victims was formed to investigate the cause of the deaths of the two men who died whilst being chased by police.

“After re-investigating the incident and collaborating with doctors and the police we have ruled that the two victims were killed by accident,” Phuket vice governor Chokdee Armornwat told The Phuket News.

“The parents of the victims were informed by doctors about the cause of deaths and understanding the situation. They all agreed with the doctor’s decision and now believe that there was no foul play involved, which they believed there was before,” he added

An amount for compensation for the deaths has not yet been reached and that now lies in the hands of the Justice Department and a decision should be reached by tomorrow.

“We will make the compensation process as fast as we can. It’s not only the B100,000 per person as was previously believed. The media will be informed as soon as we reach a conclusion,” V/Gov Prajiad told The Phuket News.

The Deputy Commissioner of the Royal Thai Police, Police General Chalermkiat Srivorakan stated yesterday that police were also holding mediation sessions with family members of the two deceased, who would each receive no less than B100,000.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/deaths-which-sparked-phuket-riots-ruled-as-accidents-54502.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-10-12

National police chief vows legal actions against Thalang rioters
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Police Commissioner General Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda Monday vowed to take rioters who torched vehicles and attacked the Thalang police station in Phuket late Saturday and early Sunday to justice.

Chakthip said police would enforce the laws against the rioters without any exemption.

He said police investigators had acquired information of the leaders of the protest and those who took part in the attack.

The police chief said police would enforce the public demonstration act against the rioters.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/National-police-chief-vows-legal-actions-against-T-30270697.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-12

Injured Phuket police say protesters attack them without police's response
The Nation

PHUKET: -- Some injured police officers of Phuket' Thalang district testified Monday that protesters attacked them early Sunday during the riot and they did not respond to the attackers.

Three police officers testified to a team of investigators that was preparing information for filing charges against those who injured police officers during the riot.

About 20 policemen were injured when the protesters threw rocks, bricks and wooden against them and most suffered head injuries, Pol Lt Col Akanit Danpithaksart, deputy commander of Krathu police station, testified.

He said 17 of the injured policemen were treated at the Wachira Phuket Hospital.

Akanit, Pol Col Sompong Boonyarat, commander of Mueang Phuket police station, and Pol Lt Col Boriboon Yusuksomboon, deputy commander of Kamala police station, met the investigation team at the Mueang district police station to give their accounts.

Akanit told investigators that he commanded 60 policemen to protect the Thalang police station.

He said his unit retreated at 3:30 am Sunday and while his unit was walking near the Thalang intersection, a group of teenagers turned up to provoke them by throwing rocks and other things at them.

The teenagers also shouted that police were harming them, prompting other protesters to join the attack.

Akanit said he suffered a big cut on his head and received five stitches.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Injured-Phuket-police-say-protesters-attack-them-w-30270694.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-12

Well police should not cause death unless theirs or others lives are threatened- that usually the benchmark on police force. What crime had they committed ? Not wearing helmets, and speeding- because they were being chased. It's not even clear if they evaded a checkpoint, but even if so, it does not justify a policeman making the decision to place his truck in front of a fast moving motorcycle.

I cannot say it enough, is there a presumption of innocence in this justice system? Yes, technically so to excuse any variant of that tenant is not viable. You have to be consistent or the entire system crashes, which this is a fine example of.

I guess we will have to disagree ... however my parting comments ...

"Well police should not cause death unless theirs or others lives are threatened- that usually the benchmark on police force."

Don't you think that the policemen AND the public were in danger because of the kids reckless and high speed driving ?

"What crime had they committed ? Not wearing helmets, and speeding- because they were being chased."

Failing to stop on police order would be the main complaint, evading arrest would be another major complaint, and the more minor complaints would be no helmets and speeding.

For sure the police have announced 100,000 baht compensation for each kid's parents, but that's the normal for an ACCIDENTAL death here in Thailand, but that payment does in no way admit to CRIMINAL liability by the police.

I'm out of here ... bi

The deaths of the two men which sparked riots at Thalang Police Station over the weekend have been ruled as an accident it was announced earlier today (Oct 12).

That has to be quickest cover-up I have ever seen. A blanket statement that it was an"accident". So many pieces of the puzzle are missing. First, from the accounts I have read, the police vehicle struck the suspects' motorbike, knocking them off, and killing them. While the officers may not have been negligent in the operation of their vehicle in striking the motorbike, the investigation must go much deeper:

1. What was the reason for engaging in police pursuit? Were the suspects actually engaged in a drug transaction? Did the officers believe that evidence would be destroyed if they did not engage in a police pursuit?

2. How was the police pursuit conducted? Did the officers place the community and the suspects at high risk of injury or death?

3. Did the officer plant evidence on the suspects' bodies? I've read reports that 50 ya-ba pills were found.

Bottom line, is it would take a few weeks to fully investigate this tragedy. The police owed it to the community to make a full investigation and come clean with complete report of what transpired, and whether improvements could be made so it would not be repeated. Instead, they gave a typical Thai cover-up, "it was an accident, we'll pay some compensation." Not good enough. The police need to have policies and procedures for engaging in hot pursuit.

Edited by zaphod reborn

The kids behavior lead to their own death...if told to stop you stop....was police action excessive? Yes especially if they initiated contact but it leads back to who started it....

Must hold the mob accountable for their uncivilized behavior and damage, airport delays etc....

If must be made clear to them mob behavior is unacceptable; very different than protesting...it will happen again unless mobsters feel some pain..who pays for damage? Citizens and gov officials need to held accountable for their actions...

Clear example of two wrongs don't make a right and first one still isn't known vs perception...

Similar to the riots you constantly see on TV from the USA

There is a independent investigation being carried out to apportion blame.

The "cause of death" investigation was to promptly do exactly that - not apportion blame - to rule out the false rumours which started the riots that police had shot the victims.

Phuket rioters face arrests and prosecution

403-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Protest leaders who incited violence during the siege of Phuket’s Thalang district police station Saturday night and early Sunday morning will face arrests and prosecution, said the national police chief, Pol Gen Chakthip Chaichinda on Monday.

He said police had video footages of the riot in front of the station and knew the identities of the trouble-makers who would be arrested.

Nine cars were burned and several others as well as the police station were vandalized by the rioters protesting against the death of two youths following hot pursuit by the police in their attempt to arrest suspected drug traffickers.

However, Pol Gen Chakthip assured that all parties in the conflict would be equally and fairly treated.

A panel comprising representatives of the police, the military and the provincial administration has been formed to investigate into the deaths of the two youths.

Four policemen, including a commissioned officer, who were involved in the hot pursuit have been transferred to the 8th regional police bureau in order to ease the tension.

Mrs Kannikar Saengthong, director-general of Rights and Freedom Protection Department of the Labour Ministry, said the department was waiting for the result of the investigating panel before paying compensation amounting to a maximum of 100,000 baht each to the relatives of the two victims.

However, she said no compensation would be paid if the victims were found to be involved in illicit drug trade.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/phuket-rioters-face-arrests-and-prosecution

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-10-12

<snip>

For sure the police have announced 100,000 baht compensation for each kid's parents, but that's the normal for an ACCIDENTAL death here in Thailand, but that payment does in no way admit to CRIMINAL liability by the police.

I'm out of here ... bi

Just read the above news report which makes clear the poice position ....

"Mrs Kannikar Saengthong, director-general of Rights and Freedom Protection Department of the Labour Ministry, said the department was waiting for the result of the investigating panel before paying compensation amounting to a maximum of 100,000 baht each to the relatives of the two victims.

However, she said no compensation would be paid if the victims were found to be involved in illicit drug trade."

The kids behavior lead to their own death...if told to stop you stop....was police action excessive? Yes especially if they initiated contact but it leads back to who started it....

Must hold the mob accountable for their uncivilized behavior and damage, airport delays etc....

If must be made clear to them mob behavior is unacceptable; very different than protesting...it will happen again unless mobsters feel some pain..who pays for damage? Citizens and gov officials need to held accountable for their actions...

Clear example of two wrongs don't make a right and first one still isn't known vs perception...

Yes.

Hold the mob accountable for flight delays.

Good idea.

by accepting the Death money they agree that no crime was commited. and that the police are blameless. it was quick because the family is scared of the phuket police and will agree to anything. If the police retaliate.... against the people who they are suppposed to protect... things are going to get ugly. those police scum are dirty to the core.

great example fb: justice for jessie

phuket is ran by petty chinese mentaily thai mob. any REAL crime syndicate would have no problem pushing on turf as long as they give tea money. if you got rid of all the politicians bankers and lawyers in phuket, i imagine it would be nice.

Behind every disturbance their are always Leaders and in this case, probably drug gangs, to agitate the local populace and warn the Police off, should they get too close!

Yes, a standoff.

Maffia is suffering from changes otherwise none of this would have happened.

by accepting the Death money they agree that no crime was commited. and that the police are blameless. it was quick because the family is scared of the phuket police and will agree to anything. If the police retaliate.... against the people who they are suppposed to protect... things are going to get ugly. those police scum are dirty to the core.

phuket is ran by petty chinese mentaily thai mob. any REAL crime syndicate would have no problem pushing on turf as long as they give tea money. if you got rid of all the politicians bankers and lawyers in phuket, i imagine it would be nice.

Nonsense.

By accepting the money they accept they were not shot. Police can still be blamed. Also the rest of your post is clearly not based on knowledge of Phuket.

Civilians who break the law should be treated just like how the police punish their own.. I think it would be fair to punish the criminals who did this by moving them. . to a different house. That will show them. ... cause thats the only solution thailand has for corruption. ... moving them ... to an inactive post. I dont support the phuket police, i know they are mob, murdering scum. the civillians there know they are mob. and they will continue to scare and thrreaten people. which will make this much worse.

I know a guy, whos parents were murdered by the phuket police, He was then adopted by some western family friends of theirs, got educated, (and was in my unit with me in the 82nd Abn. ), and has returned 25 years later. He is on that island with you dear policemen. I remember his favorite movie was the Punisher. One can never fight the evil there with kindness.

Eventually things will get so bad that a ... reaction will occur.

WHEN YOU ACCEPT MONEY FOR A DEATH IN THE FAMILY YOU AGREE THAT THEIR DEATH WAS JUSTIFIED. It OK to run over thais for 100,000 baht. ... Thats what im getting out of this.

Nonsense.

By accepting the money they accept they were not shot. Police can still be blamed. Also the rest of your post is clearly not based on knowledge of Phuket.

"By accepting the money they accept they were not shot." - which could easily be proved by an autopsy,

So, if they were not shot, why pay the money, and if they were not shot, why accept the money if it's only about whether police shot them, or not?

It's basically "hush money."

It's a disgrace.

Not one person in this riot arrested. With millions of baht damage to the station and the police cars. But if you have a peaceful march they put you in jail. why does the law change so quickly in Thailand. Arrest peaceful student but let rioters who burned cars and broke windows walk free. If you are political you are discriminated against. A law against gathering of people is not dictated by what the people are gathering for!

Not one person in this riot arrested. With millions of baht damage to the station and the police cars. But if you have a peaceful march they put you in jail. why does the law change so quickly in Thailand. Arrest peaceful student but let rioters who burned cars and broke windows walk free. If you are political you are discriminated against. A law against gathering of people is not dictated by what the people are gathering for!

What are you suggesting, the police should have gone outside to make a few arrests?

Apparently there will be arrests made of the lawbreakers,I think they'll need the army for that.

Nonsense.

Where is this " not being shot" coming from? As far as I've read the accusation was the police hit them deliberately with their vehicle. I've read nothing the accused families suspected they were shot.

Now that's been ruled an "accident," ( like so many bus "accidents" on wet roads ) the parents can be paid off to compensate for loss of earnings ( which is valid) and loss of offspring to care for aging parents (also valid.)

It's a win- win for police and parents.

Edited by FBlue72

Nonsense.

Where is this " not being shot" coming from? As far as I've read the accusation was the police hit them deliberately with their vehicle. I've read nothing the accused families suspected they were shot.

Now that's been ruled an "accident," ( like so many bus "accidents" on wet roads ) the parents can be paid off to compensate for loss of earnings ( which is valid) and loss of offspring to care for aging parents (also valid.)

An attempt to try to make clear that this does not mean the police accept responsibility or that the parents accept that the police is not to blame. That is was ruled an accident, so the party guilty of the accident can still be held responsible.

In retrospect though it was a poor attempt.

Well police should not cause death unless theirs or others lives are threatened- that usually the benchmark on police force. What crime had they committed ? Not wearing helmets, and speeding- because they were being chased. It's not even clear if they evaded a checkpoint, but even if so, it does not justify a policeman making the decision to place his truck in front of a fast moving motorcycle.

I cannot say it enough, is there a presumption of innocence in this justice system? Yes, technically so to excuse any variant of that tenant is not viable. You have to be consistent or the entire system crashes, which this is a fine example of.

I guess we will have to disagree ... however my parting comments ...

"Well police should not cause death unless theirs or others lives are threatened- that usually the benchmark on police force."

Don't you think that the policemen AND the public were in danger because of the kids reckless and high speed driving ?

"What crime had they committed ? Not wearing helmets, and speeding- because they were being chased."

Failing to stop on police order would be the main complaint, evading arrest would be another major complaint, and the more minor complaints would be no helmets and speeding.

I'm out of here ... bi

Well it's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario on the speeding. Were cops chasing them initially because they were speeding, or were they speeding because cops were chasing them? And we can make a lot of assumptions on why they were alluding police, but it is not outside the realm of possibility they simply did not want to pay a no helmet ticket ( and I could expand a bit on helmets laws having lived in a US state where they were not mandatory and myself ridden motorcycles for 20 years without a helmet... )

... but no, I would say the motorcycle was NOT a danger to anyone any more so than most other motorcycles are zipping around with impudence.

And it happens, tragically the real danger were the police, in two instances caught on video at least- trying to kick over the riders, and then putting a truck in front of a moving motorcycle

Nonsense.

An attempt to try to make clear that this does not mean the police accept responsibility or that the parents accept that the police is not to blame. That is was ruled an accident, so the party guilty of the accident can still be held responsible.

Er,... what?

I understand that what this " accidental " ruling does is absolve the police driver of the truck from criminal charges.

essentially "Lay off our guy and we'll hand over cash, now. "

Nonsense.

Er,... what?

I understand that what this " accidental " ruling does is absolve the police driver of the truck from criminal charges.

essentially "Lay off our guy and we'll hand over cash, now. "

Yes, it was ruled an accident. That does not mean they police officers will not be blamed for the accident.

Nonsense.

I posted this before. I'll post again ...

"Mrs Kannikar Saengthong, director-general of Rights and Freedom Protection Department of the Labour Ministry, said the department was waiting for the result of the investigating panel before paying compensation amounting to a maximum of 100,000 baht each to the relatives of the two victims.

However, she said no compensation would be paid if the victims were found to be involved in illicit drug trade."