Hong Kong photographer to face Thai trial over flak jacket

webfact

Hong Kong photographer to face Thai trial over flak jacket

SAMUT PRAKAN, Thailand - A Hong Kong photographer detained for carrying a bullet proof jacket and helmet in Thailand will face trial after pleading not guilty to a weapons possession charge on Monday.

The case has sparked outcry from media freedom groups who say journalists should not be punished for carrying body armour and protective gear in and out of dangerous zones.

Kwan, who works for the Hong Kong-based Initium media group, was held on August 23 after trying to depart Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi airport with a flak jacket and helmet in his hand luggage.

But both items are classified as weapons under Thai law and Kwan was charged with breaching the country’s Arms Control Act -- punishable by five years in jail.

He was in Thailand to cover the aftermath of August’s deadly Bangkok bombing.

Kwan told reporters on Monday after the hearing at the Samut Prakhan provincial court, near Bangkok, that he had been indicted.

"I’m not confessing... I don’t think that a flak jacket is a weapon and I definitely didn’t know it was illegal here."

His plea means he will face a trial starting next month. The court granted Kwan bail but was set later Monday to rule on whether he is free to leave Thailand.

"I think everyone in my situation would be a little bit concerned. I’m preparing for the worst but hoping for the best," Kwan added.

Thailand’s classification of protection equipment as a weapon that requires a license has been criticised by media groups who say they are vital pieces of kit for reporters in a country where political violence routinely spills onto the streets.

Ahead of Monday’s hearing, the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand issued a statement to express disappointment at Kwan’s indictment.

"Thai authorities should consult with the media community... to explore a way around the 1987 law, which was surely not intended to prosecute journalists carrying out their normal duties," the statement said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Criminal-Court-issues-arrest-warrant-against-Thaks-30270691.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-12

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In his defense he should site the case of the Thai police general who got caught smuggling

a gun and ammo on board a commercial flight, and what happened to him? nothing, because

he's a police general as to this chap only a mere lowly human being, the law is equal to all,

however, not unless you're well connected....

so what about those people who took stun guns to Hong Kong, has the Thai Court system looked into charging them when they return from Hong Kong jails or even looked at in which luggage they were in, and if in cabin luggage how they got through security???

Seems like a bit of tit for tat

Edited by beano2274

There's a very detailed story on bullet-proof vests and safety equipment for journalists from 2014 here Thailand’s Arms Control Act Lost in Translation

Seems they tried to get a permit, were refused, appealed and were refuse again.

Little help from the Thailand Foreign Correspondents Club or Human Rights Watch by the looks.

No everyone can get up in arms over it. For the journalists life just got more dangerous when this guy was charged.

Clearly the military don't want media close to where they are operating to have any protection so that they stay further away.

If the HK guy is convicted any journalist who goes out wearing one in the future will be easy pickings for a police shake-down or arrest if seeing things they don't want to be seen.

Weren't 2 foreign journalists shot dead covering the red shirt uprising, one being Japanese? And they expect them to report on potentially similar situations without armour? sheeesh.

Perhaps they'd rather that Foreign Journalist didn't come to their country. Potential tourists might be told of scams, airport invasions, oppressed migrants and all sorts instead of smiling friendly wai's on pristine beaches with crystal waters.

In his defense he should site the case of the Thai police general who got caught smuggling

a gun and ammo on board a commercial flight, and what happened to him? nothing, because

he's a police general as to this chap only a mere lowly human being, the law is equal to all,

however, not unless you're well connected....

I agree : it's a complete disgrace and every event like this makes the country a laughing stock.

The police guy was not charged because they couldn't find any evidence that he did it on purpose. Short of writing it in his diary, I'm not sure what that evidence would be.

I think Prayuth has realised that he has no chance to reform the police. The rot is too deep. It would be obstructed by every means possible at every level.

This is crazy.... even more so when it involves a foreign reporter from a country that Thailand supposedly wants more tourists from!

A flak jacket and helmet is no more an offensive weapon then a motorcyclists body-armoured crash suit and helmet is.... (are motor cycle armoured leathers and crash-helmets illegal now then?)

Just for the record..... A gun is a weapon but the Thai cops can carry those on a plane "accidentally".

Protective equipment does not cause damage or hurt people!

Ting Tong!

Total waste of time and money

How petty can you get is this another serious major crime crackdown as hinted by our PM or just another media filler to create an illusion of justice being done. What a farce and disgrace where is the international press on this one. One of their own is being hijacked.

Insisting that everyone who visits Thailand know all its ridiculous laws is outrageous, especially if no one was likely to be harmed nor was any harm intended. And five years is absolute insanity.

Who, in their right mind, would ever suspect a country would classify a flak jacket and helmet as a weapon. I guess only insane people would.

Apparently, his flak jacket and helmet was not enough to protect him from receiving flak from Thai government officials...

It is inane arrests and prosecutions like this that keep Thailand in the 3rd world status among civilized nations...

Good job Thailand. Another major arrest of an innocent foreigner...turned into a "lose of face" for Thai officials...clap2.gif

I could see body armor as an aggravating factor in an illegal gun charge or in the commission of a violent crime. Outlawing a purely protective device like body armor in any other context, is completely absurd.

When I was working for a news magazine, I was issued a jacket and a riot helmet, along with the camera gear. I was told not doing so would have exposed my employer to negligence lawsuits, for failing to take reasonable measures to protect me.

Edited by fstarbkk

More insanity from those that insist "the law" prevail over "common sense" or "right/wrong".

Ya...and... what's become of the former BKK police chief, and the supposed criminal investigation here into his Japan gun trip escapades?

The authorities sure were quick to nail the HK photog for carrying body armor. But not so quick with the ex police chief and his gun on the plane. The latter case seems to have gone eerily quiet.