Can I Open A Thai Bank Account From The U.s.?

I'll be living in BKK in a few months. I've arranged an apartment, but the manager wants a 5000 baht deposit. They won't take a credit card for the deposit. If I wire the funds, my bank will charge me $50 US. Western Union charges around $35, factoring in the poor exchange rate they offer. I'm thinking I could open a Thai Bank account (online, perhaps?), transfer funds into it and then send a baht check to the apartment manager. Having read a previous thread regarding the difficulty for farangs opening accounts IN Thailand, I'm not overly optimistic about this route, but perhaps someone could fill me in. Failing that, I'm wondering how I can get the 5000 to the apartment manager without incurring an outrageous fee.

Edited by bruce3404

Its hard enough to open a CHECKING account for many foreigners IN Thailand. I seriously doubt you can open any kind of account in Thailand from abroad.

I feel your pain. I once wired 40 dollars to book a hotel and paid 50 dollars to wire it. Just pay it and forget it. Cost of doing business.

You can not open an account except in person.

You can not transfer money without a transfer charge. And that will be about $50 from most US banks. So what you want is an account and then a large transfer.

Hotels are cheap. Come, open account, look for apartment. But be sure to set up a wire transfer agreement with your bank first so that you can call or fax or online do the transfer after you get the bank account details.

Until you do the transfer you can use ATM withdrawals for money (Cirrus/Plus/Visa etc.) but best to let your bank know you are going to be here, visiting, or they may freeze until you call them.

There is an easier ways!

If you were often visiting to Thailand, just ask your night’s g/f or b/f to do it on there name. Then you can keep the book bank, ATM, and copy of her/his ID card (In case bank need to verify personal detail.) Just pay them 1000-2000 for their time.

And now on, you can do business of their behalf. (Mostly by online transaction)

There is an easier ways!

If you were often visiting to Thailand, just ask your night’s g/f or b/f to do it on there name. Then you can keep the book bank, ATM, and copy of her/his ID card (In case bank need to verify personal detail.) Just pay them 1000-2000 for their time.

:o:D

There is an easier ways!

:o:D

I picked up the phone and explained the situation to the manager this morning and he was kind enough to waive my deposit. :D

I picked up the phone and explained the situation to the manager this morning and he was kind enough to waive my deposit.

What a nice man, a very, very nice man..!!

I would save that until after he sees the apartment. It appears to be a sight unseen transaction from what has been posted. Hopefully all will work out well.