Phuket riot police gifted B100k in cash for bravery, peacefully holding the line

webfact

Phuket riot police gifted B100k in cash for bravery, peacefully holding the line
Saroj Kueprasertkij

1444741207_1-org.jpg
Phuket Provincial Police Chief Maj Gen Pachara Boonyasit assured that the cash donated was out of other police officers' own pockets. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Police officers injured in the riots at Thalang Police Station over the weekend received cash donations from fellow officers today (Oct 13).

The donations were handed out by Phuket Provincial Police Chief Maj Gen Pachara Boonyasit during National Police Day celebrations at Phuket Provincial Police headquarters in Phuket Town.

More than 30 officers were injured by the mob, with some requiring hospital treatment, Gen Pachara said.

“The officers facing the mob were very patient. They were hit many times, but did not fight back,” he noted.

“One superintendent, Col Sompong Boonyarat of the Karon Police, has five stitches in the head and has been admitted at Thalang Hospital.”

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-riot-police-gifted-b100k-in-cash-for-bravery-peacefully-holding-the-line-54531.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-10-14

Wow! Pay the cops for killing teens. Way to go! That's real good PR to pay the cops before you compensate the decedants' families. Given the low pay of police officers, there seems to be an awful lot of free cash flowing through the police departments in Thailand.

Edited by zaphod reborn

The problem with gifting police with cash prizes is that they get to use it and associate doing their job

with immediate cash rewards, what happened to merit points, up rank and better salary? what

happened to just being a good policemen and proud in your mission to serve and protect? Ah ok,

you can't pay rent and buy beer with the above....

Wow! Pay the cops for killing teens. Way to go! That's real good PR to pay the cops before you compensate the decedants' families. Given the low pay of police officers, there seems to be an awful lot of free cash flowing through the police departments in Thailand.

The drug selling teens killed themselves with reckless driving

I keep hearing about the low pay of the police officers, does anyone know how much they actually get paid?

I keep hearing about the low pay of the police officers, does anyone know how much they actually get paid?

Starting pay about 15,000 baht/month (typical gov rate, same for teacher, any gov officer). But they have to buy own uniform, gun, ammo, radio, etc. Also they get a share from the fines collected, up to a maximum of about 10 -12,000 baht/month.

Low pay is a relative term in this case.

Yes, for the rank and file, their official government salaries are low, and, from what I gather, they have to pay out of their own pockets for a variety of work related things.

However, where the real money comes from is their NON-government pay -- their cut of all the varied commissions, payoffs, bribes, whatever you want to call them -- from dealing with the business, street vendors and others in their area.

I was once dating a girl whose best friend was a mia noi to a rank and file RTP officer, whom I met a couple of times. And, that guy had no problem supporting a wife and a couple kids, paying for the apartment and other upkeep of his mia noi, and driving around in a brand new crew-cab pickup truck.

I don't know if this 30-something officer was "rich". But he certainly wasn't even remotely poor.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Low pay is a relative term in this case.

Yes, for the rank and file, their official government salaries are low, and, from what I gather, they have to pay out of their own pockets for a variety of work related things.

However, where the real money comes from is their NON-government pay -- their cut of all the varied commissions, payoffs, bribes, whatever you want to call them -- from dealing with the business, street vendors and others in their area.

I was once dating a girl whose best friend was a mia noi to a rank and file RTP officer, whom I met a couple of times. And, that guy had no problem supporting a wife and a couple kids, paying for the apartment and other upkeep of his mia noi, and driving around in a brand new crew-cab pickup truck.

I don't know if this 30-something officer was "rich". But he certainly wasn't even remotely poor.

100% correct, their real income is all the "extras" they get, the local Police Captain in the area I was in previously for example ran some off-the-books gambling establishments (simply a rented house with roulette wheels, big card tables etc), he was taking in 150,000 baht PER NIGHT!

Read the article money came from fellow officers as a show of support exactly as we did in UK to fellow officers injured in rioting or in the line of duty get some perspective people and read the post before spouting your in the majority foul Thai bashing post shame on you

Why dont we drop salaries altogether and just have a commission and reward system for police. That would never lead to any setups, frameups or false arrests......never.... really thumbsup.gif

Why not pay them a decent salary and not give them an excuse to harass the public/business for money. Them they might do proper police work like protect the public, property, and the like - I dream on ....never never land ...

Read the article money came from fellow officers as a show of support exactly as we did in UK to fellow officers injured in rioting or in the line of duty get some perspective people and read the post before spouting your in the majority foul Thai bashing post shame on you

And where pray tell do you think that money comes from? This Police Force gets more surreal as time goes on.

And where pray tell do you think that money comes from? This Police Force gets more surreal as time goes on.

As per the article from fellow officers pockets that good enough for me I fully understand what you are implying but I don't give a witches TIT where it originated just that they gave it from there pockets is enough for me and yes I have donated as a fellow ex job I felt it correct.

he says the money came from the pockets of other police, but who's pockets did that money come from before it went into the pockets of those other police?

I agree with many of the comments above, pay them a decent wage then fire their asses if they don't do their jobs!!!

There are way too many BIB anyway. Reform the whole system.

Start by firing the whole lot, then pay them a decent wage and stop the policy of buying your positions. The system will always be corrupt until that starts.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

How exactly did the police kill the boys? If they had nothing to hide why run? They killed themselves by getting into things they shouldn't be involved in.

How exactly did the police kill the boys? If they had nothing to hide why run? They killed themselves by getting into things they shouldn't be involved in.

Wow! Way to go! Deliberately misinterpreting the incident in order to bash the police again.

These officers were injured during the riot, they were not the ones involved in the chase with the two who legged it from the checkpoint.