Talk with a monk?

B0nkers

Was chatting with a random tourist last week and was told it's possible to donate (or pay?) to speak with a Monk in one of the temples.

Does anyone know about this?

I'd LOVE to do this, and maybe weekly if they don't mind.

Any issues with taking pictures?

How long do you get, or does it go by # of questions?

Also, anyone know if it's possible to spend a few days in a mountain temple with the monks?

i am a monk of my own religion. actually, the highest level monk possible.

i charge 10,000 baht an hour, even though i don't care about money

and if you rent me a private jet and give me more money you will feel better, not me..

but it's important to pay

While you can on occasion talk with monks at many temples, Wat Chedi Luang has a "Monk Chat" program which you might enjoy. No payment is required but they always appreciate any donation, of course.

Edit: You're more than welcome to take photos within any temple compound or building although sometimes it's not appreciated if you're using flash. As to taking photos of an individual monk (or a monk you might chat with), you really need to ask if it's okay (they likely will say okay but it would be impolite without permission).

post-26519-0-63651600-1444836201_thumb.j

Edited by CMBob

While you can on occasion talk with monks at many temples, Wat Chedi Luang has a "Monk Chat" program which you might enjoy. No payment is required but they always appreciate any donation, of course.

Edit: You're more than welcome to take photos within any temple compound or building although sometimes it's not appreciated if you're using flash. As to taking photos of an individual monk (or a monk you might chat with), you really need to ask if it's okay (they likely will say okay but it would be impolite without permission).

An excellent choice. Just go in to the garden and sit there if there are none

available just wait one will come to talk with you. They are interested in

any thing you have to say as they are also using it to improve their English.

Edited by northernjohn

As said above, the monks are very approachable and friendly - I have met and known many in my time here. They are surely individuals. Just remember that some of the monks you meet are just in for a short period of time and doing their religious service, especially the young ones - some of the older ones have retired from a career and chosen that as a retirement pursuit and others have been monks for many years. A couple I have known even seem to enjoy having photos taken and would seek interesting back drops. I live near several forest wats and the monks there are also quite friendly and always make me feel welcome to stay as an overnight guest if I would like. If you need some direction/connection on any of this please feel free to message me..

In response to some of the negativity above, I have found that they rarely discuss dogma with me, not knowing if it is an interest of mine or not - they just like to chat and get to know you - but I have found them open to questions, personal or otherwise.

Interesting experience at a wat last week...I really need to start a journal so I know which ones we have been to... I was sweating quite a lot, and limp because of a bad hip... anyhow, a monk came up and offered me a small dish of ice cream. My girlfriend said it was "Okay to eat...from monk"....in spite of my "big,big belly". Another, elderly monk came over to chat later. My girlfriend told him I had heart trouble, and he came over and gently ran a fingernail down the front of my shirt with an inquiring look... yes, exactly over the sternectomy scar from my bypass procedure.
Interested, interesting, and compassionate. More than ever I want to learn more about these guys. Thanks for the info about the monk chats.

Thanks for the helpful replies :) I will wander to look for temples and play it by ear once there.

For the smart asses, it's about learning and respecting the country and culture we have come to visit. Don't, we are guests on their turf. We should be thankful and those who make jokes or complain are the reason why we receive scowls during the day and are looked at as nothing more than an ATM by night.

It's about taking time out of your life to show respect and appreciate others in the world. Try it sometime, it may open your mind a little :)

i am a monk of my own religion. actually, the highest level monk possible.

i charge 10,000 baht an hour, even though i don't care about money

and if you rent me a private jet and give me more money you will feel better, not me..

but it's important to pay

+ VAT I hope!

Some time ago I spent some time helping to construct with tree trunks (where I live now in Thailand) a new temple in the middle of a forest/jungle situation and thoroughly enjoyed it.Right from the start my wife was very proud of me as a farang to be doing this and warned me it would be hard but I enjoyed it immensely and have made some permanent friendship with the monks.They seemed to want to improve their English and they did more in that way than I did with my Thai! The thing is we were working together ,and had a lot of fun .I learned what it was like to be a monk and they learned new things about the problems of being a Farang in Thailand.Some of them did not even know we had to report every 90 days and could not understand why so strict a rule.When I first started they showed me where I would sleep (4 poles holding up a thatched roof) and I wondered about all the protocol involved with Monks but after a couple of night around the old camp fire I realised there was going to be no problems except a lot of prayer times when I was obliged to attend and just sit there and copy what the other girls were doing.This was all accepted with appreciation and we were all talking and explaining with a lot of hand signals.I do not want to do it again,but the experience was unforgetable. They did improve their English language,and I learned a lot about life as a monk.Since that experience I have no hesitation about speaking to any monk I meet--- for instance I always say" hello how are you"with variations to the Monk who comes round our village every morning.I do this just for the fun of talking to him and now he smiles and answers me back in English.Do not be afraid to talk to these people.They are only human beings with a different calling to "us".Remember treat them with respect and as they say-------- try it you'll like it-------Dougal

Thanks for the helpful replies smile.png I will wander to look for temples and play it by ear once there.

For the smart asses, it's about learning and respecting the country and culture we have come to visit. Don't, we are guests on their turf. We should be thankful and those who make jokes or complain are the reason why we receive scowls during the day and are looked at as nothing more than an ATM by night.

It's about taking time out of your life to show respect and appreciate others in the world. Try it sometime, it may open your mind a little smile.png

Many observant Thai Buddhists have become just as cynical as some of the posters here, so don't be too hard on them. A quick Google search will reveal why. But yes, we need to respect the culture and its people.

Thanks for the helpful replies smile.png I will wander to look for temples and play it by ear once there.

It's about taking time out of your life to show respect and appreciate others in the world. Try it sometime, it may open your mind a little smile.png

I make plenty of jokes and nothing is off limits, don't blame me if the locals scowel at YOU during the day and ATM you at night. Yea, go talk to monks, get it outa your system.