New car tax to be effective in Thailand next January

webfact

New car tax to be effective next January

476-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The new automobile tax that based excise tax collection on carbon dioxide emission from the vehicle will be implemented in January next year as planned.

This was affirmed by the Finance Minister Apisak Tantiworawong yesterday.

The new car tax will see buyers of new cars next year paying higher of 85,000-200,000 baht, depending on the emission of carbon dioxide from engines, and see price drop of 10,000-15,000 baht for eco cars.

The new automobile tax law was approved by the Cabinet in 2012.

Finance minister Apisak confirmed that the ministry would push through with the tax adjustments approved by the Cabinet in 2012 on the structure of the motor-vehicle excise tax, stressing that the implementation of the new tax collection on January 1, 2016, would be a good thing,

He said the new law will base excuse tax collection on the emission of carbon dioxide instead of on the size of the vehicle’s engine.

This would help lower emissions and bring better environment in the country, he said.

He said vehicle that emits a higher level of carbon dioxide will be subjected to pay higher tax.

The new adjustment will, in turn, influence changes in the prices of automobile as well, he said.

It is predicted that the price of eco-cars will decrease by about 10,000-15,000 baht, while the price of pickup trucks will rise by about 10,000 baht.

For small cars, price will increase by about 85,000-160,000 baht, and the price of larger cars will be 200,000 baht higher or more.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-car-tax-to-be-effective-next-january

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-10-16

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

The previous rebate scheme has damaged the car industry for years to come, then they add this double whammy on top.

Say goodbye to more car factories.

Are there any affordable eco cars? Well, they will be relatively affordable compared to the newly expensive regular cars.

Pickups change slightly. Regular cars change a lot!

So 200000 more for a new pick up,well done.no more new cars for me.

that is just what the car market needs....not

while the price of pickup trucks will rise by about 10,000 baht.

That is for eco friendly cARS...

For small cars, price will increase by about 85,000-160,000 baht, and the price of larger cars will be 200,000 baht higher or more.

How about all the city buses that are polluting??

They will be replaced by new buses from China.

"polluting" is a kind word for the huge clouds of black smoke they fume. Having busstops for them would also help, now they pull up for anybody who's too lazy to walk to a busstop.

Those big buses should be replaced by smaller ones on CNG. The big ones can't make corners, U-turns and are too slow for in BKK. Also they should keep driving the left lanes only.

Carbon tax my eye,,, as if this money is going anywhere near carbon tax issues, it'll go towards

offsetting the rice pledge's huge losses and buying a submarine or two, the government is not

getting enough revenues from other means so they come with new ideas how to get more money...

Well that seems fair, get a non- eco friendly car pay extra 200k, get a eco friendly car pay less 15k...

Costs and tax's are getting on par with western countries yet salary are not

I believe that is a good thing, Thailand should in no way make cars more affordable than they already are. There already are enough cars in Thailand, almost every family has one, even the poor.

It's not for eco-cars, it's for pickups.

Read the preceding sentence:

It is predicted that the price of eco-cars will decrease by about 10,000-15,000 baht, while the price of pickup trucks will rise by about 10,000 baht.

There is an upside to it - it will further incentivise the manufacturing of EV's and Hybrids - the CO2 calculation method for excise tax is exhaust pipe emissions only. In another 5-10 years, the new law will make much more sense I expect.

Whatever dude, its Friday and iv got 8 ice cold Changs in the fridge and some positive energy.

ill come back to you when they all gone :)

Carbon tax my eye,,, as if this money is going anywhere near carbon tax issues, it'll go towards

offsetting the rice pledge's huge losses and buying a submarine or two, the government is not

getting enough revenues from other means so they come with new ideas how to get more money...

I don't believe the tax is designed to increase revenues to be used for car pollution mitigation, in fact, since it increases the tax in some and decreases the tax in others the tax should be revenue neutral.

The tax is designed to affect changes in behavior on the part of the consumer and the Manufacturer and decrease pollution by having more, cleaner running cars on the road.

Whatever dude, its Friday and iv got 8 ice cold Changs in the fridge and some positive energy.

ill come back to you when they all gone :)

seems like you have already had a one to many. Clearly states pick up trucks will go up about 10,000.

So please don’t tell me the Thai legislators are as stupid as the idiots we Australians generate! eg. Julia Gillard and her cronies.

IMHO - Carbon Tax is nothing more than a knee jerk reaction to natural occurring phenomena. Human pollution does not scratch the surface when it comes to the emissions from these bad boys.

What do the ‘Hand Wringing’ social engineers intend to do about volcanoes and the like?

post-18212-0-16090600-1444982530_thumb.j

post-18212-0-98251900-1444982554_thumb.j

How about all the city buses that are polluting??

Good point.....I live in Silom and must wear carbon mask on Silom Rd. because there are so many ancient diesel buses spewing black smoke. The government decided to just keep repairing them instead of a replacement program.