Royal Enfields

jpb1963

I notice the very large motorbike franchise shop in Ubon (M2 Motorsport) has just opened a FB page called Royal Enfield M2 Ubon, so I assume they are now going to add this brand to the present line-up of KTM/Triumph/MV Augusta plus other cheaper brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently had to use Hitchcocks M/C's in the UK for some Amal carb parts and the only place that seemed to sell S&B pancake air filters for Amal Concentric carbs for my Triumph.

I've checked their very interesting website out before, but with the parts, came their 200 odd page free catalogue. I prefer paper perusing and turning pages than staring at a computer screen anyhow.

If you have got an older Enfield, or are thinking of buying one of the new FI models, check these guys out, and what is available.

Incredible!

# Convert FI to carb. (Makes me want to buy a new one...).

# Power Commander V for the FI models.

# Stroker kits.

# Big bore kits

# Stock 17 bhp to 40 bhp at the back wheel! And still rideable.

# Scrambler kits, trials kits, retro kits.

Endless.

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

# Stock 17 bhp to 40 bhp at the back wheel! And still rideable.

Very impressive. Just wondering how reliable the bike will be though. How many km will the engine do with a more than 2x increase in power?

On 5/30/2017 at 2:55 AM, eisfeld said:

Very impressive. Just wondering how reliable the bike will be though. How many km will the engine do with a more than 2x increase in power?

Hard to say, if you ride it like you stole it a lot, probably not much.

My ex SR500 had 33hp and that was enough, just.

I rode it from Denmark down to Spain (app year 1984) and back doing app 130km/h when possible. 

Under-powered for the German autobahn's but boy I had fun in the Alps.

Interesting enough, the SR500 was then the most popular bike in Germany. Back then they had a 27hp bike class, bikes restricted to 27hp, beginners bikes (I think) and the SR500 was in that class, so I could smoke all the German SR500's, he-he. 

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Stock they are very de-tuned. Emissions etc, air cooled old basic OHV design etc.

It's basically stroked crank, new rod (Made In England), big bore kit, cams, ported c/head with quality valve gear, bigger proper carb. About £2.5k i seem to remember.

Just check their website out, or order a free 200 plus page catalogue. They reckon it's very streetable and still ok to kick start.

Man, I just had a look at that catalog and it's impressive what you can buy for them Enfields. 

Engine tuning Stage 1, stage 2 & stage 3 as we know from Harley and other brands and as thaiguzzi mentioned, ending up at 40bhp but the engine is now 612cc. 2500BP for that 612cc kit is app 110k baht. Not too bad actually.

612cc kit.odt

What’s your Motorcycle Personality?

Have you ever wondered what type of motorcycle would best suit your personality? Like your go-to Friday night hang-out spot, most heavily worn pair of shoes or your favorite band, motorcycles can be an expression of our spirit, style and character. Of course, no two motorcycles are exactly alike, so attention should be paid to the type of bike that would best suit our individual nature. But have no fear - Royal Enfield, the fastest growing motorcycle brand in the world recognized for its distinctively styled creations has brought you four types of distinct motorcycle personalities, and four special motorcycles to match with each unique set of traits.

So, which one are you?

Continental-GT-Red.jpg

1. The stylish rider

Are you the type of guy who pays a lot of attention to the design and craftsmanship of not only your motorcycle but also the riding garments and accessories that go together to complete the image? Do you find yourself spending time stopping at gas stations, coffee shops and bars so you can curate the perfect backdrop for your well-groomed bike? If the answer is yes, then you probably consider yourself to be the stylish rider whose refined personal image could never go amiss on the road. For an image-conscious guy like you, look no further than a motorcycle with iconic charm and timeless design that can withstand coming tests of time as well as trends and fashions as they come and go over twenty plus years …

The Royal Enfield Continental GT is the lightest, most powerful Royal Enfield in production. It’s a machine with a story, a nod to motorcycling’s finest hour; a painstaking collaboration of past treasures steeped in historical significance, and a look to the future. It is also the finest expression yet of a cultural phenomenon that has simply refused to fade away - the legendary café racer.

Classic-Desert-Storm.jpg

1. The soul searcher

This type of biker will go for a ride in temperatures and weather conditions others wouldn't dream of - and laugh to himself all the way. There is no ‘there’ or ‘back again’, just riding. He will take a ride along the busy, bustling, traffic-snarled streets of the city, just to enjoy the rumbling of the machine below or the neon light reflecting back off puddles. The main focus for this type of biker is to spend as much quality time as he can with his beloved bike; to study and perfect techniques in an effort to ensure that man and machine merge in exquisite harmony. He is drawn to an old school charm and always stand out wherever he goes even in pursuit of real experiences, in city or outside. A bike is never just a bike for this man – it’s a living, breathing entity with a character all of its own. Ultimately, this rider enjoys being outdoorsy and always looking for authenticity. A classic motorcycle with an undisputed legendary heavyweight reputation and bold design – that is what this type of biker is ideally looking for.

Armed with a potent fuel injected 500cc engine and clothed in a disarmingly appealing post war styling, Royal Enfield Classic 500 promises to be the most coveted Royal Enfield in history; the power, fuel efficiency, reliability and simple yet drop-dead gorgeous classic styling. The Classic turns heads not because it wants to but because it can’t help it. You will appreciate its beat, not just for the sound but also for the muted feeling of strength and power that it signifies. The view is simply better when you are astride a Royal Enfield Classic 500 – whether moving or still. Nothing more to be said.

Bullet-Black.jpg

1. The serious commuter

This guy has every single piece of gear in the catalog, every piece of luggage imaginable, and can probably move the contents of his house using just his bike. He is not afraid of any road or weather conditions because he is ready to take the bull by the horns (literally or figuratively). For a serious commuter like this, it is important to find a bike that is not only capacious, powerful and durable, but also dynamic and agile. It simply has to be perfect for a number of different terrains and riding situations.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 is essentially a motorcycle with the timeless, iconic, handcrafted design of the legendary past Bullet, now powered by a solid 500 cc Unit Construction Engine for better combustion, superior power delivery and improved fuel economy. Technologically equipped with modern advances in engineering, this motorcycle still maintains its impeccable lineage it has held proudly for decades. The iconic Bullet is now available in Black, Marsh Grey and Forest Green.

Himalayan-Snow.jpg

1. The adventure tourer

The adventure tourer scoffs at daily city commutes in stop-and-go traffic. For them, that is not real riding. On the other hand, real riding in real “outdoor-sy” environments requires versatile skills behind the handlebars to match the versatile nature of their chosen ride. Unless you're a fellow adventure tourer, it's highly unlikely you'll ever see this rider anywhere – your life is simply too urban, too lifestyle for the two to meet. Such an adventurous persona needs a bike that can go almost anywhere - when ridden by a skilled rider such as yourself, of course. If you fall into this category, you should take a look at bikes that have been made specifically for adventure riding and touring, offering both off-road capabilities and long-distance comfort.

Bringing together 60 years of riding experiences in the Himalayas, with a completely ground-up design and powered by a new LS 410 engine, the Royal Enfield Himalayan paves the way for a purer, non-extreme and more accessible form of adventure touring. Designed with proper off-road capabilities at heart, it is adept at riding though potholed urban jungles as it is over treacherous mountain trails. This very special motorcycle will be available in Thailand later this year.

Farangmoto

Visited their show room at Tong Lo. They are in the process of opening dealerships across the country. They sold 1700 bikes since they opened (@Tong Lo). Next time I am going to take one for a spin. For anyone interested in this bike, I don't think there is a waiting list for any of the models. They have A LOT of new bikes in stock. And the Himalaya is coming soon.

• 1 month later...

I picked up a Classic Chrome from Ubon A few weeks ago. There are two dealers that I know of. The bikes are readily available, with the Yakmoto store having at least one of each colour/ style. Plus a GT special job. This store are also the Bennelli dealers, across from the big Tesco Lotus.

Pillion seat is an extra 4000 odd baht. After 2 weeks, it had not arrived, and I asked, did you order it? They say yes, what colour would you like, brown or black? Haha. The missus just has to watch me disappear each day.

The ride is plush. With sprung seat and shocks. Front is slightly firmer.

20170616_092708.jpg

8 minutes ago, Goanna said:

This fellow here. Wider tyres, and many other trims etc from the standard GT. This pic was instore. 240 000 I think.

20170613_130531.jpg

Sorry to waffle, but just zoomed in on this pic, and notice that it is 535cc.

People buying a Royal-Enfield and wanting more performance... Not sure if I want to laugh or cry, but I'm sure you're looking at the wrong motorcycle if you want some decent performance. Buy a Kawasaki Z300 and so much faster than the "current" fastest Royal-Enfield.

I have a Royal Enfield Bullet for years and riding it is fantastic, but I also have to accept that the average housewife on her Honda Wave 125 is "mostly" faster than me... People who buy a R-E buy it to have a relaxed ride, if you want to go fast you have so many other options...

32 minutes ago, Richard-BKK said:

People buying a Royal-Enfield and wanting more performance... Not sure if I want to laugh or cry, but I'm sure you're looking at the wrong motorcycle if you want some decent performance. Buy a Kawasaki Z300 and so much faster than the "current" fastest Royal-Enfield.

I have a Royal Enfield Bullet for years and riding it is fantastic, but I also have to accept that the average housewife on her Honda Wave 125 is "mostly" faster than me... People who buy a R-E buy it to have a relaxed ride, if you want to go fast you have so many other options...

Chalk and cheese.

RE big flywheel, long stroke, big torque, low bhp, low revs.

Z300, no flywheel, short stroke, no torque, high bhp (for a 300), revs to God knows what - outer infinity?

If you google what Ace in the States and Hitchcock's in the UK can do with these engines, you might be surprised. Taking a stock 17 bhp 500 to 40 bhp RELIABLY without affecting it's street manners and a top speed well over the ton (+160 kms in metric speak)...

Depends what you want, me i'd take the RE any day over something that revs to 11,000 rpm onward.

Be great to build a street sleeper 612cc bored and stroked Bullet looking stock outwards in appearance and absolutely hammering an unsuspecting rider on a Z300/CB500 or similar.

I visited the Hitchcocks Motorcycles website a few times, just to look for some fun parts for my classic Royal Enfield. But if I look at the parts needed to get the a R-E Continental GT 535 to deliver the promised 40 horsepower you can also buy a Ducati Scrambler Icon (805cc), basically for around the price you pay for the R-E Continental GT 535 with all the performance upgrades you have so much other options...

No warranty, Resell value, I can thing of so many negative things why not to mess with the engine of a classic looking motorcycle...

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

absolutely hammering an unsuspecting rider on a Z300/CB500 or similar.

You would have me, and I ride even much more powerful motorcycles. But not because your 621cc big bore kit provide you with that more power – I would be perplexed and have to stop to remove my helmet to wipe the tiers from my eyes from laughing….

I have a 1000cc sportbike, which was for a few years back the (claimed by the manufacturer) fastest production bike… and you would be surprised how much teenagers at the traffic light are playing with the throttle like they want to race… and they often do dangerous things to get away first from the traffic light… Also when I cruise at a relaxed pace I often get teenagers belly flat on the fuel tank passing me….

Your comment “hammering an unsuspecting rider” fit perfectly in the teenager rider category. If you not a teenager, sorry, you maybe in a second youth syndrome...

39 minutes ago, Richard-BKK said:

You would have me, and I ride even much more powerful motorcycles. But not because your 621cc big bore kit provide you with that more power – I would be perplexed and have to stop to remove my helmet to wipe the tiers from my eyes from laughing….

I have a 1000cc sportbike, which was for a few years back the (claimed by the manufacturer) fastest production bike… and you would be surprised how much teenagers at the traffic light are playing with the throttle like they want to race… and they often do dangerous things to get away first from the traffic light… Also when I cruise at a relaxed pace I often get teenagers belly flat on the fuel tank passing me….

Your comment “hammering an unsuspecting rider” fit perfectly in the teenager rider category. If you not a teenager, sorry, you maybe in a second youth syndrome...

Richard, get off your high horse.

Me, i always have been a little different.

Stood out from the crowd.

In the underdog's corner.

Never followed fashion or the latest "must have", which, in the case of motorcycles is generally the latest, fastest thing going. These days, covered in plastic hiding a hideous water cooled monstrosity labelled as a "power unit", not engine.

I've always appreciated through history the bike builders, engine builders and tuners who took on the big boys, built something that was not meant to go THAT fast, nor win.

Because they could.

History is full of wonderful examples of people and the bikes and engines they built against the odds.

The NZ guy with the side valve Indian.

The Norton tuner who could beat 4 cylinder multis with his single.

Lucifer's Hammer, the pre Evo HD Sportster that er, hammered competition.

The RGB 8 valve Triumph- Weslake twin that beat 1000cc 4 cylinder superbikes, built by a bloke in his wheelchair.

The American privateer dentist, Dr John who built pushrod Moto Guzzi twins that won and beat the American works Desmo Ducati teams in Supertwins.

I could go on.

Those guys have my admiration.

And all the guys building a nice fast special in their home workshops and sheds, be it an old Ducati, Guzzi, Harley or Brit bike, they have my admiration and respect too

But someone walking into a HonYaKaZuki showroom, or BMcati, laying down the money, and riding out on the latest plastic crotch rocket with 190 bhp and a 300 kmph top speed does NOT impress me. Anybody can do that....

And most do. But i'm not one of the "most".

18 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Richard, get off your high horse.

Me, i always have been a little different.

Stood out from the crowd.

In the underdog's corner.

Never followed fashion or the latest "must have", which, in the case of motorcycles is generally the latest, fastest thing going. These days, covered in plastic hiding a hideous water cooled monstrosity labelled as a "power unit", not engine.

I've always appreciated through history the bike builders, engine builders and tuners who took on the big boys, built something that was not meant to go THAT fast, nor win.

Because they could.

History is full of wonderful examples of people and the bikes and engines they built against the odds.

The NZ guy with the side valve Indian.

The Norton tuner who could beat 4 cylinder multis with his single.

Lucifer's Hammer, the pre Evo HD Sportster that er, hammered competition.

The RGB 8 valve Triumph- Weslake twin that beat 1000cc 4 cylinder superbikes, built by a bloke in his wheelchair.

The American privateer dentist, Dr John who built pushrod Moto Guzzi twins that won and beat the American works Desmo Ducati teams in Supertwins.

I could go on.

Those guys have my admiration.

And all the guys building a nice fast special in their home workshops and sheds, be it an old Ducati, Guzzi, Harley or Brit bike, they have my admiration and respect too

But someone walking into a HonYaKaZuki showroom, or BMcati, laying down the money, and riding out on the latest plastic crotch rocket with 190 bhp and a 300 kmph top speed does NOT impress me. Anybody can do that....

And most do. But i'm not one of the "most".

Also a few good points... The thing that we all call motorcycle is very much influenced by our personal feelings and taste, what I like does have to be what somebody else likes... We should respect that more on this forum (including me) and just concentrate on having fun on two wheels...

Edited by Richard-BKK

13 minutes ago, Richard-BKK said:

The thing that we all call motorcycle is very much influenced by our personal feelings and taste, what I like does have to be what somebody else likes... We should respect that more on this forum

Well said - and can we extend that to cars, houses, food, beer, girlfriends...........

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

Well said - and can we extend that to cars, houses, food, beer, girlfriends...........

Yes we can, but not for beer - as there is only one good beer available in Thailand... hahaha