Afghan refugee shot dead on Bulgarian – Turkish border

Jonathan Fairfield

Afghan refugee shot dead on Bulgarian – Turkish border

606x341_315322.jpg

For the first time a refugee attempting to find shelter in Europe has been shot and killed.

The victim was an Afghan attempting to cross the Turkish border with Bulgaria.

Bulgarian police say the man died after refusing to stop following warnings from border guards.

“Three border policemen stumbled last night onto a large group of about fifty male migrants who put up resistance during the arrest. One of the officers fired warning shots, a ricochet followed and one of the migrants was wounded,” said the Interior Ministry’s Chief Secretary Georgi Kostov.

Bulgaria is an EU member but not part of the borderless Schengen zone. It has deployed more frontier police, installed cameras and motion sensors, and is extending a security fence to cover 160 kms of its border with Turkey.

Bulgaria has never been a favoured destination for refugees, for economic and other reasons.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-17

How can it be stated he was a refugee without his case being assessed first?

Very true, illegal immigrant would have been more accurate. In fact, until all these people who are crossing international borders without visas are vetted, no one should be called a refugee until they can prove that they are seeking refuge from an oppresive regime that wants to eradicate them. They are all illegal immigrants.

He may have been on the UNHCR register.

I think the UNHCR has a screening process, although the state where they apply for asylum determines their (actual) refugee status.

As for using this incident (accident?) as a method to prevent other economic migrants arriving; it's probably a character flaw of the lowest of lowest lifeforms to use someone's death as a political football.

There are many Afghans among the river of migrants coming from Turkey.

Some may be legitimate asylum seekers / refugees, as they have previously co-operated with the US/UK/other forces that have occupied Afghanistan for more than ten years. Now that the Taliban are seeking to overthrow the democratically-elected new government, such people - and their families - may be at risk. However it seems to me, as an ill-informed observer, that most of the Afghan migrants are men without families. Who would desert their family and flee possible retribution, leaving their family without support and having to explain that their bread-winner is not in the country?

I have more sympathy with Sunni Iraqi men, who do not wish to be co-opted into ISIL, and of course the Syrian refugees, the 'other faith' people living in or near ISIL areas, and similar peoples who make up a fair proportion of the 'swarm' coming across the Turkish borders, but males who seem to be economic migrants in this mix - NO!

Any person with skills needed in Europe would be better placed to apply for a visa at the local consulates of various countries, then coming in legitimately. I have worked abroad for forty years in legitimate jobs with the correct paperwork - it would be fairly easy for qualified doctors, engineers, mechanics, technicians and such to get work visas and travel in the comfort of an aircraft or train or bus. The migrants who are walking to freedom are probably lacking the needed skills, or afraid that their families will be left behind. They will probably not add to the quality of the countries to which they are headed.

Some may be legitimate asylum seekers / refugees, as they have previously co-operated with the US/UK/other forces that have occupied Afghanistan for more than ten years. Now that the Taliban are seeking to overthrow the democratically-elected new government, such people - and their families - may be at risk. However it seems to me, as an ill-informed observer, that most of the Afghan migrants are men without families. Who would desert their family and flee possible retribution, leaving their family without support and having to explain that their bread-winner is not in the country?

I have more sympathy with Sunni Iraqi men, who do not wish to be co-opted into ISIL, and of course the Syrian refugees, the 'other faith' people living in or near ISIL areas, and similar peoples who make up a fair proportion of the 'swarm' coming across the Turkish borders, but males who seem to be economic migrants in this mix - NO!

Any person with skills needed in Europe would be better placed to apply for a visa at the local consulates of various countries, then coming in legitimately. I have worked abroad for forty years in legitimate jobs with the correct paperwork - it would be fairly easy for qualified doctors, engineers, mechanics, technicians and such to get work visas and travel in the comfort of an aircraft or train or bus. The migrants who are walking to freedom are probably lacking the needed skills, or afraid that their families will be left behind. They will probably not add to the quality of the countries to which they are headed.

How did you come to the conclusion that most of the Afgan asylees are men without families? Do you have any sources that you can post for us to see.

Not so easy as you think for local nationals in a conflict zone e.g.

The Australian Embassy in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan does not operate a visas section and does not process visa applications for people located in Afghanistan.

British Embassy Kabul does not deal with visa matters.

Its been reported currently the majority of Syrian refugees heading to EU are from the Syrian middle classes before they run out of saved money to support themselves in places such as Turkey.

How can it be stated he was a refugee without his case being assessed first?

Please stop engaging in critical thinking. EuroNews has been very pro "refugee" and has a pro-EU bent. IMO , it's articles demonstrate a particular political bias.

A majority interest in the company was recently purchased by Egyptian billionaire Naguib Sawiris. You may recognize the name as he was the chap who suggested purchasing an island off of Greece to settle the refugees. I suppose it could be called the Islamic State of Europe.

Not that I am being critical, as his suggestion makes sense and he is the only muslim of wealth and of international status to offer something concrete and workable. No one else from any country has come up with a better suggestion.

"Bulgaria has never been a favoured destination for refugees, for economic and other reasons."

maybe we could learn some lessons from them after all....

Bulgaria may be a retirement paradise for a number of TV members as governed by a minority far right political party.

Edited by simple1