Am I too old for Lycra?

MaeJoMTB

See them up and down canal road and the Queen's park area.....Like a bunch of school kids that want to look different - but all look the same.....They all look like a bunch of scuba divers with biking logos plastered all over themselves.....

It seems to be the copycat uniformity identification thing....

To me it's a wannabe club - like Yeah → I'm a Real Rider now.....To me it looks funny and bogus.....But definitly "IN" for the Thais....Possibly their new status....

But on the flip side when they see me riding my Trek around → usually wearing one of my old baseball jerseys with some of my old uniform shorts with green & gold piping down the sides they probably are wondering what's wrong with me......

If it is beneficial/comfortable to your riding and has a real purpose why not? If you like it.....

You'd have to have the lean body type to pull it off....Me at 6'4" - 235/240 and large frame - not so much......

Edited by pgrahmm

Why not my dad wears a Lycra biking pants with added padding. If you feel it helps why not. Its your workout / hobby should not worry too much about what you wear. He has done 11.000 km this year so I guess not a wanna be biker. Though he is not biking in Thailand but in the Netherlands.

When I was there last year I also wore a Lycra cycling pants as the extra padding helps against pains and its good for absorbing sweat. Its just a tool to use during a workout nothing more.

Edited by robblok

Why not my dad wears a Lycra biking pants with added padding. If you feel it helps why not. Its your workout / hobby should not worry too much about what you wear. He has done 11.000 km this year so I guess not a wanna be biker. Though he is not biking in Thailand but in the Netherlands.

When I was there last year I also wore a Lycra cycling pants as the extra padding helps against pains and its good for absorbing sweat. Its just a tool to use during a workout nothing more.

Good point my uniform shorts are cut down from my baseball pants which are snug as bball uni's are and usually compression shorts under depending on the type of riding....

Polyester/elastane (Lycra) blends are great for exercising in the heat. Something like Under Armour Heat Gear works really well as sweat quickly evaporates and leaves you feeling cooler than a cotton T-shirt. I don't wear the shorts (though if I rode a bicycle I likely would), but I usually wear Lycra-blend shirts to the gym, and I find them way better than cotton for temperature control.

If you're actually exercising and not posing, it helps to go with clothing made specifically for the activity- there's a reason why professional riders compete and train in Lycra blends, and you don't have to be at their level to reap the benefits of the material.

It's VERY true, though, that if you're not in decent shape (regardless of your age) it can make you look a bit on the lumpy side...;)

OP, you tend to come across as someone who doesn't give a flying <deleted> what other people think. Why not lycra jersey & shorts? Look less freaky smile.png

I have very white skin and burn easily.

My knees burn when out cycling.

OP, you tend to come across as someone who doesn't give a flying <deleted> what other people think. Why not lycra jersey & shorts? Look less freaky smile.png

Fair enough.

Polyester/elastane (Lycra) blends are great for exercising in the heat. Something like Under Armour Heat Gear works really well as sweat quickly evaporates and leaves you feeling cooler than a cotton T-shirt. I don't wear the shorts (though if I rode a bicycle I likely would), but I usually wear Lycra-blend shirts to the gym, and I find them way better than cotton for temperature control.

If you're actually exercising and not posing, it helps to go with clothing made specifically for the activity- there's a reason why professional riders compete and train in Lycra blends, and you don't have to be at their level to reap the benefits of the material.

It's VERY true, though, that if you're not in decent shape (regardless of your age) it can make you look a bit on the lumpy side...wink.png

If your in shape and wear something with cutoffs or Lycra you will be called a showoff.. so either way you loose unless your just average biggrin.png

I look crazy when exercising headband, headphones good thing there never anyone around to watch.

How about 3/4 pants?

Just a few questions on the full length skin tight Lycra suit. Is this just for lounging at home or Expat Club type social functions or visits to Loi Kroh or strolling round Festival. Does it need to be fluro for night time wear? Will there be some sort of flies eyes type effect when sitting?