What NFC cards are used in Thailand?

I need to get one or some of the popular thai NFC cards used, say, for paying in shops and buses.

Google search hasn't helped and I myself have never used any thai NFC card.

What NFC cards any foreigner can get easily and not really expensive? Are there any at all? For example, in Hong Kong it'd be Octopus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus_card

Contactless cards in Thailand??????

They ain't even got EMV chips on 95% of the cards, how could they have the more complex mag stripe cards with NFC antenna included...

Edited by Swiss1960

There are some creditcards with that feature. Look for Visa Paywave. Not really useful, I think some of the big supermarkets may accept it (Tesco, BigC). Try that in the bus, I guess a look in their faces will be priceless smile.png

Closest do Octopus is the Rabbit card in BKK, mainly for BTS usage. But there is no common system, you need separate cards/tickets for all forms of public transport.

Edited by MadMac

There are some creditcards with that feature. Look for Visa Paywave. Not really useful, I think some of the big supermarkets may accept it (Tesco, BigC). Try that in the bus, I guess a look in their faces will be priceless smile.png

Closest do Octopus is the Rabbit card in BKK, mainly for BTS usage. But there is no common system, you need separate cards/tickets for all forms of public transport.

Thanks for Rabbit card, is it easy to get it and should I go to Bangkok for that? I have a tourist visa if that matters.

I probably can't get any bank credit NFC card because I don't have a working visa.

Thanks for Rabbit card, is it easy to get it and should I go to Bangkok for that? I have a tourist visa if that matters.

I probably can't get any bank credit NFC card because I don't have a working visa.

Rabbit card and the card for MRT use are very easy to get. Go to the window in any station, pay cash and it's done with no paperwork.

I'm not sure if this is relevant as it is not a card, but the Airport Rail Link uses round plastic single use tokens that work in the same way as an NFC card. You tap the token on the reader to get in, then at the other end you insert the token into the gate (which retains the token for reuse).

I think the ARL has a prepay card too, but I don't have one so I can't be sure.

I think (but can not remember) the MRT uses the same single use token system. A token would cost you just a few baht (the price to the next station).

I've tried reading a 7-11 smart purse card using my android device by nfc and read something, but only in the raw format.

I'll need to decode that information somehow. Where would I find documentation about it? On their website it seems there's nothing about that, seems like it's only for internal use.

I'd like to get my balance and ideally the list of transactions. How would I do that?

You are looking for something which for all practical purposes does not exist. Thailand remains a largely cash based economy/society.

If here on a tourist visa you will be lucky if you can open/access other than the most basic of savings account with one of the banks.

Maramook, you shouldn't post the same question in multiple ThaiVisa forum topics. "Cross Posting" will get your posts deleted.

Since you are actually asking actionable questions in this topic/thread, I'll answer here.

If you're interested in what data is available when you scan an NFC Card or Device acting as a payment transaction instrument then I suggest reading some tech articles:

How to read a contactless credit card such as Visa paywave or MasterCard paypass

by NFC Admin, Montag, 2 April 2012

The chips stored the information from Track 1 and Track 2 [same data found on the magnetic strip of a credit card]
thus the following information can be read from the card that is also printed on the front side of the card:
Creditcard Number
Firstname, Lastname
Experation Date
Transaction Counter
Service Number

Reading Visa payWave Credit Card Details via NFC on Android

StackOverflow

Press info on Kasikorn Bank NFC payWave 'stickers'

KBank launches “Paywave Sticker” credit card innovation, targeting 200,000 cardholders in 2014

Kasikorn Bank website

McDonald’s offering Visa payWave contactless payments in Thailand

paymenteye.com | Saajan Raja | 25 Apr 14

My question is not how to read NFC data in general. I know how to do that.

My question is

what NFC or EMV cards can a foreigner get easily, without having to have a working or student visa?

KBank offers credit emv cards which, of course, require a working visa. Bangkok bank also. The yellow bank also -- a working visa.

As for McDonalds, it doesn't offer anything, what it offered was money back to your payWave card. Which, as I said, I want to get.

Edited by Maramook

and also "Does anybody know if "Kasikorn 7-11 visa (smart purse)" debit card NFC or what? "

From the look if it, it does not seem to be NFC enabled, as I can't see the Visa Paywave symbol that should be on it. Assume it is a swipe only card