Water situation in Thailand turns into crisis: Academic

webfact

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe the govt now recognises the need for actual strategy not just talk but action. Trouble is that the masses will ignore all advice to conserve water. How many mom & pops do you see washing the street on their soi u charoens with a hose pipe everyday?... So wasteful, habitual and ultimately pointless

There's a reason no developed countries use cloud seeding. It doesn't work. Thailand needs to focus on conservation and it should start by banning water fights at Songkran and asking people to cut their showers from 20 minutes to 3. Never in my life have I seen a people spend so much time in a shower. While I applaud and appreciate Thais for personal hygiene and cleanliness, once you've washed there is no reason to wash and rinse five more times.

They had planes out seeding the clouds in the Rainy Season !,and its

going to be many months before we have any real rain again,but I am

sure the Government has plans for the up coming crisis facepalm.gif ,maybe

towing icebergs from Antarctic.

regards Worgeordie

Have never ever seen any scientific evidence that cloud seeding works.Please anyon eprovide factual info, not hearsay, if I am wrong

Great idea dump chemicals into clouds and wait for a downpour..doesn't happen anywhere in the world.

Thais don't understand water conservation or management .Farmers/households still collecting water in stone jars in the country instead of building concrete tanks.

In so many ways Thailand is still 3rd world....The key of course is education. Thais wil not consider alternative crops to rice which require less water,so many lost

opportunities for niche markets.

I do believe the govt now recognises the need for actual strategy not just talk but action. Trouble is that the masses will ignore all advice to conserve water. How many mom & pops do you see washing the street on their soi u charoens with a hose pipe everyday?... So wasteful, habitual and ultimately pointless

I notice those using hoses here never use nozzles....just let the water run ! I am waiting to see how they handle water use for Songkran...should be interesting. I've seen open fire hydrants in Silom where I live. Ice can certainly be eliminated but you can bet that some influential people probably own the ice companies here.

Very well said. Remember, drought is not an easy thing to deal with. Advanced countries like the US cannot find a solution for the western coast. Thailand is still a third World country with all the limitations associated with this status. Thailand has achieved a lot on many fronts. Thailand deserves some respect. There is no magic wand to solve the water problem. Thais are trying their best. Respect and encourage them.

That is what happens if a self appointed bunch of soldiers claim to know all and everything.

What a stupid statement!!!!!! It's got nothing to do with the present government, but it has everything to do with many previous governments NOT having a proper long term water management plan. By the way this is not a supportive post for the current government. It is a typical Thai attitude of dealing with a problem when it happens, a reactive approach as to a proper proactive approach (which goes against THAINESS).As to towing icebergs, they have a big tug at Saatahip , sorry I mean aircraft carrier, that does not do anything much.

Very well said. Remember, drought is not an easy thing to deal with. Advanced countries like the US cannot find a solution for the western coast. Thailand is still a third World country with all the limitations associated with this status. Thailand has achieved a lot on many fronts. Thailand deserves some respect. There is no magic wand to solve the water problem. Thais are trying their best. Respect and encourage them.

Respect?? B*ll*cks. When they adopt a decent approach to equality for ALL under the law, then perhaps they will earn a little respect. Thais are ' trying their best ', but they are not succeeding and they are too stupid(afraid of loss of Farce) to ask and listen to advice from people who have already had to deal with similar problems of water management. There is no quick fix, it requires long term strategic planning. LOL

That is what happens if a self appointed bunch of soldiers claim to know all and everything.

I thought el nino was to blame combined with the previous government mismanagement of the dams.

The previous government have not been effectively in power for 2 years, but if it makes you happy blame them. For the rational people there are the El Nino effect which is only now starting to take effect and will go into the spring of 2016. The actual problem is the management of the water resources by the junta. They are banning water use by farmers but have not lifted a finger to decrease water usage by the whole population. By now one would have expected some form of water restrictions in the cities and public education programmes. But that would have meant a severe loss of face as most of the clowns have declared the drought broken a few months back (you can go back to these articles declaring that the drought has gone).

I thought el nino was to blame combined with the previous government mismanagement of the dams.

The previous government have not been effectively in power for 2 years, but if it makes you happy blame them. For the rational people there are the El Nino effect which is only now starting to take effect and will go into the spring of 2016. The actual problem is the management of the water resources by the junta. They are banning water use by farmers but have not lifted a finger to decrease water usage by the whole population. By now one would have expected some form of water restrictions in the cities and public education programmes. But that would have meant a severe loss of face as most of the clowns have declared the drought broken a few months back (you can go back to these articles declaring that the drought has gone).

You forgot that after the flooding of BKK against all advise the YL government released loads of water from the dams in 2012 and 2013 draining them quite a bit (you can look into the data so it can be backed up). So yes they are to blame, plus the rice program made farmers use even more water as normal and that put an extra strain on the water supply too.

But by all means forget logic and just follow the little red book of blaming the junta.

why Brits have to say hose pipe ? A pipe is rigid.

1pipe
noun \ˈpīp\

: a long, hollow tube for carrying water, steam, gas, etc.

Circusman where are you from the states probably. Since when does a pipe have to be rigid. A pipe is any hollow tube designed to carry a liquid .

Two simple, open, questions:

Where have all the gutters with the huge tanks gone, that were at every house 20 odd years ago?

Why didn't they accept the water management help Holland offered them 2 years ago?

Simple, natural solutions are often best.

My guess like in Australia a few years back

Was a health risk

Breeding places for mossies, so the government encouraged removal of tanks or out right banned water tanks

Only in dry times reverse that idea

Edited by noosard

You forgot that after the flooding of BKK against all advise the YL government released loads of water from the dams in 2012 and 2013 draining them quite a bit (you can look into the data so it can be backed up). So yes they are to blame, plus the rice program made farmers use even more water as normal and that put an extra strain on the water supply too.

But by all means forget logic and just follow the little red book of blaming the junta.

The folly is believing that the dams can be used effectively 100% of the time for both flood mitigation and crop supply. It is either one or the other in times of crisis. Try both and you run the risk of the floods a few years ago.

Wrong on at least 2 counts. After the big flood the PTP government dropped the management levels of the storage dams, and over 6 months a huge volume of water was released to the sea. El Nino has been active since then, and was expected at the time. Very few dams in the North and NE have been able to recover even to the new lower set levels.

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

Clicking on the blue dam name will bring up historical date. Clicking on 2012 for Bhumipol and Sirikit, the 2 largest storage dams, will show the huge volume of water wasted to prevent the next flood that would never come.

Pipes are not necessarily rigid, as you seem to be, Stiffy! Can't you be a bit more flexible? Brits use this term in their ENGLISH language. Not in the circus!

I despise the Junta, but have to agree, this is one you can't lay at their feet. The flood/drought situation has been a problem for years, if not decades, and not one single government has tackled it correctly. What's ignorant is that the Dutch, who know a thing or two about water management, offered to come in and help. Offer flat out rejected. Why? Simple. Thai don't need no damn farang to tell them how to do anything! That "face" thing is going to be the death of them yet. So, continue to show your ignorance, continue to let the problem go unabated, and suffer for it.

I've no doubt the Thai Government will need to consider building a 5000 ML desalinisation plant. All cities in Australia now have them as a precaution against drought. It will take at least a year to build and commission and will cost about $1bn US. It won't help Bangkok for next year, but will drought proof the city in future years. The Government will have to add a fixed charge to all Bangkok water users for the next 5 years to pay for it (works out at about 100 Baht per month).

If you know the company likely to get the contract, now is the time to buy shares!

Look on the bright side, it could mean a water-free Songkhran!!crazy.gif

Not in your wildest dreams here the show must go on come hell or high water and there will be little of the latter. In my assessment of Thai logic they may even lengthen it to encourage the rain Gods.