SURVEY: Should Thailand legalize marijuana?

Scott

SURVEY: Should Thailand legalize marijuana?  

415 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Maybe one day when the country is sufficiently educated it could be but not now. There are already more than enough road deaths, broken families and more ills caused by the use of this drug. This proviso will probably be something like 50 years, not 5 or 10.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe one day when the country is sufficiently educated it could be but not now. There are already more than enough road deaths, broken families and more ills caused by the use of this drug. This proviso will probably be something like 50 years, not 5 or 10.

What a naive and patronising sentiment.

The fact that drugs like marijuana are illegal in countries like Thailand is relatively recent - Thailand is a country that was famous for high quality marijuana in the past - the use was widespread domestically and the legislation is just yet another way for corrupt officials to make more money out of everyday people whilst MAFIA-type gangs make a fortune.

More than 100 diseases was treated using Cannabis before governments made it illegal

You could say the same about cocaine and snake oil. Again there is no need to justify why it should be legal as it falls on deaf ears and only preaches to the converted. It should be legal because it is a matter of choice to each individual, whether it is beneficial or detrimental we have the right to choose. i still don't want it to be legal here and become some self afflicted tourist attraction that brings more Bob Marley beach bars. I also know that is only my opinion and a selfish reason on my part.

I live where it is common to sell weed but abstain from doing so because of the type of customer it attracts. So I sometimes pay the price for my unpopular ideals but such is life.

It's easy to see how Thai people abuse alcohol and the problems that it causes in Thai society. Adding another "recreational" drug will just compound the problems Thai society will have to deal with. For example, drinking and driving is a huge problem in Thailand which helps to make the roads the most dangerous in the world. How much worse will it be if people, who are only high from marijuana, are mixed in with the people who are drunk or drunk and high? If they can't control their urges to drive while drinking, it's ludicrous to think they will control their urges to drive while high.

Check out this chart from the CDC in the United States.
http://www.cdc.gov/injury/images/lc-charts/leading_causes_of_injury_deaths_highlighting_unintentional_injury_2013-a.gif
From ages 5 to 24, the number one cause of death is motor vehicle accidents. 5 year old children don't drive so that means an adult was involved in either in the car with the child or a possible impaired driver in another car. For ages 25 to 64, unintentional poisoning was the leading cause of death. How many of those adults made their fatal decision to self medicate or drive themselves when their decision making abilities were impaired? Look at the other possible ways to die and ask yourself if having an individual's decision making abilities impaired may have contributed to the number of deaths in the other categories?

With that said...marijuana would likely be a huge boost in tourism as it would be the only place in Southeast Asia ASEAN citizens can go to use this drug. Many western tourist may also be attracted to Thailand as a destination mostly because of this drug. Combined with the other vices Thailand is infamous for, I see it as a boost to tourism.

Now back to my opening statement. The problems this drug will bring balanced against the benefits it will bring will probably offset overall. Although, I find it easier to believe Thailand will be worse off than better off if marijuana was legalized here.

The OP is rather irrelevant....what is actually needed is a totally different attitude to recreational drug-taking - from alcohol right through to heroin. The problem being that in just about everywhere in the world, and I suspect largely due to the Americans, drug abuse is "deal with" by draconian and often violent prohibition.

This has been shown categorically not to work....and the astounding lack of understanding of the problems is underlined by the idea that one can "legalise" or "decriminalise" one drug without addressing the activity as a whole.

...and a poll that tries to dichotomise the issue into inapplicable categories is just plain stupid.

Edited by cumgranosalum

More than 100 diseases was treated using Cannabis before governments made it illegal

with no scientific evidence to back it up whatsoever. citing inconlusive medical benefits for marijuana is a totally spurious argument for the legalisation of the substance.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Traffic is allready vely dangerous with loads of accidents. That will only get worse.

There are many drunk drivers, then we also get stoned drivers.

Also it isn't any good for the working mentality.

I don't see any advantage for when it was legal in Thailand.

That's because you assume that legality means more users, which is not based on any reality but just pure speculation, studies of countries which have legalized demonstrate that legalizing actually reduces the number of users in the long term. The advantages are obvious, more tax revenue, less needless incarcerations, less dangerous drugs being taken, less drug related crime, and eventually less users.

It's easy to see how Thai people abuse alcohol and the problems that it causes in Thai society. Adding another "recreational" drug will just compound the problems Thai society will have to deal with. For example, drinking and driving is a huge problem in Thailand which helps to make the roads the most dangerous in the world. How much worse will it be if people, who are only high from marijuana, are mixed in with the people who are drunk or drunk and high? If they can't control their urges to drive while drinking, it's ludicrous to think they will control their urges to drive while high.

http://www.cdc.gov/injury/images/lc-charts/leading_causes_of_injury_deaths_highlighting_unintentional_injury_2013-a.gif

From ages 5 to 24, the number one cause of death is motor vehicle accidents. 5 year old children don't drive so that means an adult was involved in either in the car with the child or a possible impaired driver in another car. For ages 25 to 64, unintentional poisoning was the leading cause of death. How many of those adults made their fatal decision to self medicate or drive themselves when their decision making abilities were impaired? Look at the other possible ways to die and ask yourself if having an individual's decision making abilities impaired may have contributed to the number of deaths in the other categories?

With that said...marijuana would likely be a huge boost in tourism as it would be the only place in Southeast Asia ASEAN citizens can go to use this drug. Many western tourist may also be attracted to Thailand as a destination mostly because of this drug. Combined with the other vices Thailand is infamous for, I see it as a boost to tourism.

Now back to my opening statement. The problems this drug will bring balanced against the benefits it will bring will probably offset overall. Although, I find it easier to believe Thailand will be worse off than better off if marijuana was legalized here.

If they can't control their urges to drive while drinking, it's ludicrous to think they will control their urges to drive while high.

It is ludicrous to post your opinions if you have this little concept of the effects of these two drugs. Alcohol impairs judgement, cannabis does not, alcohol leads people to make reckless decisions, cannabis leads people into making very cautious decisions. If everyone drove under the influence of cannabis there would be a lot less traffic, it would move slower, drivers would take less risks and there would be fewer accidents.

with no scientific evidence to back it up whatsoever. citing inconlusive medical benefits for marijuana is a totally spurious argument for the legalisation of the substance.

Which might be because of its legal status and therefore, the difficulty of conducting research, and the fact that big pharma is unlikely to invest loads of money in research on a plant that can be grown by anyone anywhere. Not much of a profit motive. Similarly, you might want to look into the totally spurious arguments for making it illegal in the first place...based on racism and fantasy as I recall.

I'm assuming you haven't heard of CBD's?

Edited by toooa

Your spurious claim is made rubbish by peer reviewed studies. There is a reason that MS sufferers use cannabis, there is a reason why chronic nerve pain sufferers use cannabis, there is a reason why cancer pain sufferers use cannabis, it's because it helps them. It's the same reason why the NHS is considering prescribing cannabis, it's the same reason that Satipharms CBD pills met the stringent controls of pharmaceuticals set out by the EU and allowed their sale, it's because it really does work.

Your spurious claim is made rubbish by peer reviewed studies. There is a reason that MS sufferers use cannabis, there is a reason why chronic nerve pain sufferers use cannabis, there is a reason why cancer pain sufferers use cannabis, it's because it helps them. It's the same reason why the NHS is considering prescribing cannabis, it's the same reason that Satipharms CBD pills met the stringent controls of pharmaceuticals set out by the EU and allowed their sale, it's because it really does work.

No it isn't especially as in the period you cite peer reviews were virtually unheard of....

..and as for MS there is still no conclusive evidence of efficacy - I really think you should think before jumping to baseless conclusions.

..and as ever the plural of anecdote is not data - they is why the NHS which actually has permitted un-tested quackery at times is till considering the use.

...and as you chose to ignore the main point, I make I'll reiterate it for you.........whether or not it is actually efficacious has little or nothing to do with it's legalisation for recreational purposes

Edited by cumgranosalum

If they can't control their urges to drive while drinking, it's ludicrous to think they will control their urges to drive while high.

It is ludicrous to post your opinions if you have this little concept of the effects of these two drugs. Alcohol impairs judgement, cannabis does not, alcohol leads people to make reckless decisions, cannabis leads people into making very cautious decisions. If everyone drove under the influence of cannabis there would be a lot less traffic, it would move slower, drivers would take less risks and there would be fewer accidents.

Thank you for making my point. However, if you need more proof.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/does-marijuana-use-affect-driving

Which might be because of its legal status and therefore, the difficulty of conducting research, and the fact that big pharma is unlikely to invest loads of money in research on a plant that can be grown by anyone anywhere. Not much of a profit motive. Similarly, you might want to look into the totally spurious arguments for making it illegal in the first place...based on racism and fantasy as I recall.

Believe you me, if Big Pharma thought there was money to be made from marijuana it would be legal by now.

"Adding another "recreational" drug will just compound the problems Thai society will have to deal with."

This argument isn't really valid. Legalizing it doesn't mean you are "adding another recreational drug", because that "drug" is already here, and always has been. People who want it enough have no trouble getting it. Legalization would free up the legal system and definitely be a boon for tourism. Of course it would also mean all the police would have one less avenue for tea-money collection. The argument that its illegality protects the kids is fatally flawed, because it is far easier for the youth to find grass than get their hands on booze. If you push something underground it increases its allure, increases the cost and therefore the profit motive for selling it, and makes it impossible to control.

In terms of the argument for morality, which of the following is more immoral, the greater evil?

1) Using violence against non-violent people, kidnapping them and stealing their belongings and breaking up their families for their personal choice of recreational pursuits.

2) Using a plant (for personal use) that has been used medicinally for thousands of years, one that has been increasingly shown to have health benefits.

I don't think you need to be Einstein to figure the answer out.... but then again, common sense ain't that common.

Edited by toooa

Unfortunately "sufficiently educated" people have not stopped going on killing sprees, destroying countries etc.

Would it help to use this great substance in a scholastic manner?

Believe you me, if Big Pharma thought there was money to be made from marijuana it would be legal by now.

And that my friend is precisely my point. Because the plant containing the active ingredients can be easily grown, and because those active ingredients cannot be easily isolated and patented, and because as a medicine it is in direct competition with Big Pharma there isn't much of a profit motive. So rather than let people grow their own medicine for free, it's better for Big Pharma to lobby for it's continued prohibition to protect their profits selling pills and potions that are far more damaging and expensive. Follow the money.

"Adding another "recreational" drug will just compound the problems Thai society will have to deal with."

This argument isn't really valid. Legalizing it doesn't mean you are "adding another recreational drug", because that "drug" is already here, and always has been. People who want it enough have no trouble getting it. Legalization would free up the legal system and definitely be a boon for tourism. Of course it would also mean all the police would have one less avenue for tea-money collection. The argument that its illegality protects the kids is fatally flawed, because it is far easier for the youth to find grass than get their hands on booze. If you push something underground it increases its allure, increases the cost and therefore the profit motive for selling it, and makes it impossible to control.

In terms of the argument for morality, which of the following is more immoral, the greater evil?

1) Using violence against non-violent people, kidnapping them and stealing their belongings and breaking up their families for their personal choice of recreational pursuits.

2) Using a plant (for personal use) that has been used medicinally for thousands of years, one that has been increasingly shown to have health benefits.

I don't think you need to be Einstein to figure the answer out.... but then again, common sense ain't that common.

I totally agree with you. Common sense ain't that common.

And would these information about marijuana correct?

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/marijuana-use-and-its-effects

Most people use marijuana because the high makes them feel happy, relaxed, or detached from reality.

Anything from a .gov website with a title "Drugs of Abuse" or "Drug Facts" should be taken with a tablespoon of salt.

And from the peer reviewed British Medical Journal we have this study showing that, out of the 19 most commonly used drugs, both illegal and legal, cannabis was deemed the least harmful...

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/4/e000774.full

Edited by toooa

Thank you for making my point. However, if you need more proof.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/does-marijuana-use-affect-driving

On the contrary, this study analyzing the effects of cannabis on driving found almost no impairment. The minimal impairment observed was similar to that seen under the influence of a legal alcohol limit...

"Drivers with blood concentrations of 13.1 ug/L THC, or delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, the active ingredient in marijuana, showed increased weaving that was similar to those with a .08 breath alcohol concentration, the legal limit in most states. The legal limit for THC in Washington and Colorado is 5 ug/L, the same amount other states have considered."

On the contrary, this study analyzing the effects of cannabis on driving found almost no impairment. The minimal impairment observed was similar to that seen under the influence of a legal alcohol limit...

"Drivers with blood concentrations of 13.1 ug/L THC, or delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, the active ingredient in marijuana, showed increased weaving that was similar to those with a .08 breath alcohol concentration, the legal limit in most states. The legal limit for THC in Washington and Colorado is 5 ug/L, the same amount other states have considered."

On the contrary,...contrary, I looked at your study and could not find where it said the effects of cannabis on driving found almost no impairment. It did say those strictly under the influence of vaporized cannabis only demonstrated problems (impairment) weaving within the lane.

This may or may not be a problem depending on if there are other cars traveling on the same road either in the same direction or coming towards the weaving pot smoker. Weaving back and forth (uncontrollably) has been known to cause motor vehicle accidents either with other cars or as a single vehicle mishap.

While it is a good study and very interesting, it also still only a study of 18 participants inhaling vapors from the "volcano medic" and driving in a simulator. It's also not the first of a kind study. Looking at the references of the article I posted shows a similar study in 2010 and 2013 (References 6 and 7).

Ironically, the author of the article I posted is also a contributing author of the article you posted (National Institute on Drug Abuse).

I cannot believe anyone in their right mind believes any Thai government would ever legalise marijuana.

1. The profits from drug dealing in Thailand make some senior figures in the police, the military and politics, etc. very, very rich. They are not about to smash their own rice bowl.

2. The three big distillers/brewers here have an effective cartel and keep very close to those in power who make the laws. They would vigorously block any liberalisation of drug laws.

3. Thailand has politically active Buddhist organisations. Thailand loves to put itself forward as a protector of Buddhist teachings. Decriminalisation of marijuana would be seen here as against these mores and would be vigorously opposed.

To apply this discussion to Thailand is pointless and shows a failure to grasp the drivers that push social change here.

I beg to differ.

Isn't there anyone here who remembers the good old days of Buddha sticks and every taxi driver at the airport having a spare kilo or two for sale on the way to your hotel?

Ah, for the Thailand of old.

I hope they do legalize it. America has and Australia has and most other sensible places have. Mexico will in the next week or two.

Why is it that anything that is a sophoric is condemned?

Doesn't anyone want to be happy any more?

I cannot believe anyone in their right mind believes any Thai government would ever legalise marijuana.

1. The profits from drug dealing in Thailand make some senior figures in the police, the military and politics, etc. very, very rich. They are not about to smash their own rice bowl.

2. The three big distillers/brewers here have an effective cartel and keep very close to those in power who make the laws. They would vigorously block any liberalisation of drug laws.

3. Thailand has politically active Buddhist organisations. Thailand loves to put itself forward as a protector of Buddhist teachings. Decriminalisation of marijuana would be seen here as against these mores and would be vigorously opposed.

To apply this discussion to Thailand is pointless and shows a failure to grasp the drivers that push social change here.

I beg to differ.

Isn't there anyone here who remembers the good old days of Buddha sticks and every taxi driver at the airport having a spare kilo or two for sale on the way to your hotel?

Ah, for the Thailand of old.

I hope they do legalize it. America has and Australia has and most other sensible places have. Mexico will in the next week or two.

Why is it that anything that is a sophoric is condemned?

Doesn't anyone want to be happy any more?

In the "Thailand of Old" was it legal? No.

You have confused availability with legality and thus missed my key point.

No it isn't especially as in the period you cite peer reviews were virtually unheard of....

..and as for MS there is still no conclusive evidence of efficacy - I really think you should think before jumping to baseless conclusions.

..and as ever the plural of anecdote is not data - they is why the NHS which actually has permitted un-tested quackery at times is till considering the use.

...and as you chose to ignore the main point, I make I'll reiterate it for you.........whether or not it is actually efficacious has little or nothing to do with it's legalisation for recreational purposes

It is interesting that cannabis was used to treat so many ailments in the past, it is interesting as we now recognize the use of cannabis within modern medicine, it may be that people were being given cannabis for some of the same problems that we are using it for today. It was just an interesting point, that's all, I think you need to relax more.

Sativex is an NHS approved Medical and Healthcare Product Regulatory Agency licensed medicine, it is currently being prescribed in the UK to MS sufferers. That means it successfully passed the stage III trial, that means there is evidence of efficacy, thanks. And it is not just the NHS, it is many countries health services who are prescribing Sativex. The NHS are not "considering the use" they were licensed to do so in 2010 but following the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence October 2014 MS management report, providers were advised not to provide Sativex due to it not being cost effective. In 2014 the separate advisers to NHS in Wales, All Wales Medicines Strategy Group, approved the provision for treatment of spasticity for the NHS in Wales. The hold up is not the efficacy but merely the price tag to a cash strapped NHS, thanks. I know you are so terribly desperate for Cannabis to be useless within medicine, but it actually isn't.