What is the status of the supposed new kind of visa?

I read that Thailand was going to offer a visa that was compairitable to a tourist visa onot longer and it was to cost about 5k. It was to be announced in November but since then there has been silence in the immigration offices. Even the immigration officer that is a close friend sys he's heard about it but hasn't been told much more than "november".

My parents were planing a trip here in February and my elite visa only covers one for 9 weeks. The 2nd I need to figure out arrangements and currently it's looking good like the 1900B for 7 extra days is the best bet for not leaving.

My friend can have 28 days added at a cost of 7,500 but still that's fairly limited when they are looking to buy here.

Is there any news on this new kind of osa or is it all just blowing smoke.

Some details of the new Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) are yet to be announced. However, it may not be what you are looking for. It allows unlimited entries into Thailand for six months after the visa is issued, but each entry allows a stay for a maximum of 60 days (extendable at immigration for an additional 30 days at a cost of 1,900 baht). Thus, border hops are still required if wishing to stay for an extended period. Further, there are some indications that the METV may only be available from your home country.

If your parents are over 50, a better option is a Non-Imm O visa that can be extended at an immigration office in Thailand for a year at a time, based on 800,000 baht in the bank or 65,000 baht per month in income.

My parents were planing a trip here in February and my elite visa only covers one for 9 weeks.

How long do your parents want to stay?

Obviously longer than 30 days?

What nationality?

60 days from an ordinary tourist visa (plus 30 day extension) is not enough?

whistling.gif If you are a U.S.citizen, The Thai embassy in Washington D.C. now has details of the New METV (Multiple Entry Tourist Visa) on their web page now.

Look it up, but don't expect to much.

First of all, it is available in the U.S. but only to U.S. citizens.

Also they will require the applicant to show the sum of $7,000 dollars per person to cover expenses while living as a tourist in Thailand.

They also require a confirmed hotel booking in the name of the applicant and a confirmed round trip ticket in the name of the applicant to and from Thailand.

It also will cost you $200 dollars.

All these things must be done before you get your visa.

The question many people have is ,"Is it worth it?"

That is up to the individual to decide.

The Thai Consulate in Zürich informed about new Tourist and Non-Immigrant-O Visa regulations starting from 13. Nov. 2015:

Single Entry Tourist Visas will be as before.

Double and Tripple Entry Tourist Visas will not be issued any more.

New Multi entry Tourist Visas will be issued but additiononal documentation will be required:

• Air ticket or booking
  • Hotel booking
  • Prove of a job in your country of residence
  • Prove of unlimmited permission to stay in your country of residence.
  • Prove of funds in a bank account of at least 7500 CHF for the last 6 month.

More Details see attachments in German.

--

Non Immigrant O Visa with reason 'retired' - single or multiple entry - will be issued with

• Prove of a pension (not income from a job - not working any more)
  • Prove of a longtime rent or own appartment in Thailand
  • Prove of money in a bank of at least 30'000 CHF during the last 3 month
  • Prove of residence permit in Switzerland if not a Swiss citizen

More Details see attachents in German

Regards

Thedi

so any retired folks that want to spend more than 60 days in thailand will have to get a retiree non-o and show 800,000 baht? whether married to a thai or not?? sounds very strange.

Below the clip from the Thai Embassy in D.C.

Note #5: How about staying with friends, or your wife, no hotel....

Note, #7: LEGAL foreign residents of the U.S. may apply for this visa, no requirement to be a U.S. citizen.

Note #8: How about retirees? This point will require some clarification.

Mac

http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

Tourist Visa Category “TR” Multiple (METV)

Tourist Visa Category “TR” Multiple (METV)

*** officially launched to tourists of all nationalities and from Friday 13 November 2015***

*** replace the tourist visas previously issued for two and three entries which will be no longer available by 13 November 2015***

Purpose of Visit: This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes.
Documents Required:

1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
2. One visa application form completely filled out (Download)
3. Two passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders Photos must be taken within 6 months.
4. Flight confirmation/reservation (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)
5. Hotel reservation confirmation (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)
6. A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7,000 (every months) (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)
7. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa
8. An employment verification
9. For students, full-time student status proof
10.For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name.
11.For minor under 20 years old, copy of a birth certificate, copies of mother and father’s passports/ID and copy of Marriage Certificate if any, letter of consent from mother and father for the minor to travel abroad in case not accommany with the child (have to be notarized) . in case of sole custody, a copy of court order must be provided

Processing time : (with completed documents)
In person 2-5 business days
By mail minimum 15 business days

***We do not offer expedited service***

Visa Processing Fees: 200 USD
Payable in money order (only) made payable to “Royal Thai Embassy”.
NO CASH, NO PERSONAL and BUSINESS CHECKS ACCEPTED

Period of stay: not exceeding 60 days

Validity of a visa: The Validity of a visa is 6 months.

***A visa becomes effective from the date of issuance***

Submitting application:
1. In person

between 9am.-12pm. , no appointment needed
Consular Office
Royal Thai Embassy
2300 Kalorama Rd., N.W.
Washington,D.C .20008-1623

2. By mail

application must include self-addressed return envelope only by these following mail service
” USPS (US Postal Service) Express Mail ” use only flat rate mailing envelope with $19.99

postage stamp (Metered stamps will not be accepted)
Mailing address:
Consular Office
Royal Thai Embassy
2300 Kalorama Rd., N.W.
Washington,D.C 20008-1623

***The Royal Thai Embassy do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss***

Extension of stay: Those who wish to stay longer or may wish to change their type of visa must file an application for permission at the Office of Immigration Bureau located on Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120, Tel (662) 287-3101 to 10 or at http://www.immigration.go.th The extension of stay as well as the change of certain type of visa is solely at the discretion of the Immigration officer.

Please note: Consular officers reserve the right to request additional documents as deemed necessary and also reserve the right to reject any application without having to provide reason.
Consular
Royal Thai Embassy
2300 Kalorama Rd., NW
Washington, DC 20008
Tel. (202) 640-5658 / (202) 640-1439
Fax. (202) 459-9536
Email: [email protected]

whistling.gif If you are a U.S.citizen, The Thai embassy in Washington D.C. now has details of the New METV (Multiple Entry Tourist Visa) on their web page now.

Look it up, but don't expect to much.

First of all, it is available in the U.S. but only to U.S. citizens.

Also they will require the applicant to show the sum of $7,000 dollars per person to cover expenses while living as a tourist in Thailand.

They also require a confirmed hotel booking in the name of the applicant and a confirmed round trip ticket in the name of the applicant to and from Thailand.

It also will cost you $200 dollars.

All these things must be done before you get your visa.

The question many people have is ,"Is it worth it?"

That is up to the individual to decide.

It is available to other nationalities with permanent residency or a valid US visa.

7. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa
Edited by elviajero

My parents were planing a trip here in February and my elite visa only covers one for 9 weeks. The 2nd I need to figure out arrangements and currently it's looking good like the 1900B for 7 extra days is the best bet for not leaving.

A single entry tourist visa (60 days) plus an extension of stay (30 days) gives nearly 12 weeks.

Not 7500 dollars on deposit but 7500 dollars income for every month earned.That is an proven salary of 7500 dollars a month.

Seems on the high side. A quick google of the average US salary puts the upper average at $48k a year. It's worded strangely, I wonder what it actually means.

Not 7500 dollars on deposit but 7500 dollars income for every month earned.That is an proven salary of 7500 dollars a month.

It is not a income of of 7500 CHF (not dollars). It is a minimum of 7500 CHF in the bank for 6 months prior to the date you apply.

• Like 1

Seems on the high side. A quick google of the average US salary puts the upper average at $48k a year. It's worded strangely, I wonder what it actually means.

There is no statement about needing a monthly income of $7000 !

Try reading again.

"6. A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7,000 (every months) (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)"

It talks about a minimum monthly Balance of $7000!

Edited by oncearugge
  • Like 2

No quite following the income requirements- If a tourist who is retired does not have $7500 in their bank account but has the equivalent income of $7500 over a 6 month period is that sufficient for this Visa. I mean the entry is only good for 60 days plus one extension. It appears this requirement is way out of balance for a single entry tourist visa which can also be extended for 30 days and then apply for a new one giving 6 months. Why pay the $200 and all the documentation for the metv? Sounds like a hassle to me.

seems we all read English but not all understand it :-)

NOT just for us citizens!!

or a valid visa for the states

Not just $7,000 for spending but balance of money in the bank for last 6 months

http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

** replace the tourist visas previously issued for two and three entries which will be no longer available by 13 November 2015***

Edited by phuketrichard

So , if a person who is retired and gets $2000 per month but spends $500 for their upkeep- That leaves $1500 per month they can spend. Within a 6 month period they have more than $7000 but their average per month is less than $7000 as they need to exist during the month. This person can still travel and exist well on $1500 per month even though their monthly average is below $7000. If they hold to this it will exclude many visitors due to the income requirement.

Edited by Thaidream

I expect they will want the non US citizen to have a visa for work or study to demonstrate a semi-permanence in the US. I doubt a non US citizen with a tourist visa for the US would qualify.

I expect they will want the non US citizen to have a visa for work or study to demonstrate a semi-permanence in the US. I doubt a non US citizen with a tourist visa for the US would qualify.

Easy for some to enter the US via the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) but as they will not have a "visa" they will be unable to apply for an METV.

I have previously suggested that the US METV requirements do not offer an easy path for most

• Like 1

So , if a person who is retired and gets $2000 per month but spends $500 for their upkeep- That leaves $1500 per month they can spend. Within a 6 month period they have more than $7000 but their average per month is less than $7000 as they need to exist during the month. This person can still travel and exist well on $1500 per month even though their monthly average is below $7000. If they hold to this it will exclude many visitors due to the income requirement.

Income doesn't come in to it. All they want is a bank statement showing a minimum balance of 7,000 dollars for 6 months. Surely someone that is retired would have more than that sitting in a bank.

Lots of people in US are permanent residents, not citizens.

It's a pre stage to citizenship.

Not all of them ever bother being naturalized into citizens.

ok; opinions

who really is this new METV for that can qualify for it?

The only ones that would really be able to use it (backpackers/travelers/ kids on gap years) cant qualify for it.

You are exactly correct, if indeed the financial requirements are enforced, once again the Thai government shoots itself in the foot, or appears to. Edited by Seizetheday

ok; opinions

The only ones that would really be able to use it (backpackers/travelers/ kids on gap years) cant qualify for it.

Good for me, I stay typically 3 weeks in Thailand and go back to my home country for work 3 weeks. And then come back for another 3 weeks "holiday" tongue.png and so it goes....

ok; opinions

You are exactly correct, if indeed the financial requirements are enforced, once again the Thai government shoots itself in the foot, or appears to.

Not just the financial requirements, but the proof of employment in your home country too. It would appear that the Thai government have closed a hole that the "digital nomads" were hiding in ?

...but since then there has been silence in the immigration offices

Immigrations doesn't issue visa.

There have been twenty or 30 threads at least here at TV where it's been discussed. In the upper right corner of each page there's a search option.