Stolen Koh Tao Ipad GPS signal leads Phuket police to electronic card skimmer suspects from Brazil,

rooster59

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any skimming devices on this photo.

Only three magnetic stripe readers that are not illegal to possess.

That is not correct to call those devices "skimmers".

There are many legal uses of this equipment.

It still needs to be proved that these guys were involved in credit card fraud.

Presumably if they had valid reasons they would have explained them to the police and they may have avoided arrest?

I am curious, though, what sort of legitimate use do you think these three could have made of 3 magnetic stripe readers that they had in their home?

Instead of always going for the headline hits wht doesn't TVF do a follow up on the sentencing.This may deter,some scammers but i doubt it.At least it will give us something to whinge about.

Because it is not an investigative organisation. ThaiVisa simply republishes other source's news reports to get clicks to please their advertisers.

The problem with long term thieves is that they steal for a living so eventually they do something stupid and get busted.

Can someone here tell me for a fact the following.

Do you get reimbursed by a Thai bank for unauthorized use? I don't like that kassikorn splash warning.... It makes it look like that will not pay in case of fraud.

How much jail time do these people get? Or do they just get deported?

My understanding of it is in LOS you will not get reimbursed by a Thai bank.

Your understanding is not 100% correct.

Presumably if they had valid reasons they would have explained them to the police and they may have avoided arrest?

I am curious, though, what sort of legitimate use do you think these three could have made of 3 magnetic stripe readers that they had in their home?

The magnetic stripe readers are used by many companies and individuals to prevent unauthorized access to computers and files.

Just possession of a magnetic stripe reader may not be an indication of any illegal activity.

"Innocent until proven guilty".

The magnetic stripe readers are used by many companies and individuals to prevent unauthorized access to computers and files.

Just possession of a magnetic stripe reader may not be an indication of any illegal activity.

Ok, that explains perfectly why these three would have them in their home then.

How do you reconcile their explanation in the full story with your apparent support of these poor innocents? You will need to read it though.

Instead of always going for the headline hits wht doesn't TVF do a follow up on the sentencing.This may deter,some scammers but i doubt it.At least it will give us something to whinge about.

because in Thailand they arent allowed to, but the judges are perfect so its not a problem

"because in Thailand they arent allowed to..."

Yes, they are. There are many reports in the press of the sentencing of those convicted for crimes.

The problem with long term thieves is that they steal for a living so eventually they do something stupid and get busted.

Do you get reimbursed by a Thai bank for unauthorized use? I don't like that kassikorn splash warning.... It makes it look like that will not pay in case of fraud.

Thanks.

Another reason not to have any money here even the marriage extension money. I am sure a good connected thief could steal a condo if I buy one. Really behind times on everything.

He's wrong.

Correct - no chance of any reimbursement. They would not even supply me with the video from the ATM, had to be a report to the police and let the police see the video - just a complet joke and waste of time. I suppose the bank has to protect themselves from claims, but in the case of a documented skimming scam then they should compensate - but I dream on yet again ...

"Correct - no chance of any reimbursement."

You are just plain wrong when you generalise like that and you know it, either that or you don't read the forum that you contribute so frequently to.

You were just very unlucky, or the bank didn't believe you. There have been many reports, even here on ThaiVisa, of banks refunding skimmed customers

Why should the bank supply you with the their ATM video, what good would that do, would you be conducting the investigation? That's the job of the police, not the victim.

I agree with you, only time when tv is doing update is when its a murder case or a Thai superstar involve.....

Quote> "Police seized a notebook computer, Ipad, two Iphones, three skimming devices, two Visa electronic cards and one Mastercard electronic card, and charged the suspects with "joining together and possessing equipment for duplicating or copying electronic card data belonging to others" and "theft of valuables belonging to others".<End quote

Maybe you should open your eyes then, at last count I saw three. And yes they are also referred to as skimmers so your statement is incorrect.

What does a magnetic card reader do if it does not skim information? Doesn't the magnetic stripe contain all the card holder's details and once read it enables fake cards to be produced? If they download information then they are skimming devices.

Name me one legal activity that these three thieves have for being in possession of such devices. As far as I can see they have not bee charged with fraud so at this time there is no need to offer any proof in that regard. Please note what the report states in so far as charges. Given time I'd say these clowns will be charged with fraud once police have followed the money trail.

Off course their not guilty, (like hell) they only came here to set up a company, called "Fraud incorporated Pty. Ltd, a division of "I'll Rip you off if given half a chance." They really look like company director material that's why you're suggesting they needed these devices to prevent the unautorised access to the Ipad they stole. Smart thieves, forgot about the GPS signal the computer emitted. Give me one good legal reason for them to possess three skimming devices, and yes that is what they are.

Maybe, but it don,t look to good for them, on the little evidence they have

Is this a reboot of The Three Stooges ? Moe, Larry, Curly ? Thailand is Heaven on Earth for foreign criminals . The majority can be found in any tourist slum. The government does not need to change the visas. They need to check the criminals better as they arrive at the airport or land border. Thousands are already hiding here.

Edited by Petchabun Man

Correct - no chance of any reimbursement. They would not even supply me with the video from the ATM, had to be a report to the police and let the police see the video - just a complet joke and waste of time. I suppose the bank has to protect themselves from claims, but in the case of a documented skimming scam then they should compensate - but I dream on yet again ...

"Correct - no chance of any reimbursement."

You are just plain wrong when you generalise like that and you know it, either that or you don't read the forum that you contribute so frequently to.

You were just very unlucky, or the bank didn't believe you. There have been many reports, even here on ThaiVisa, of banks refunding skimmed customers

Why should the bank supply you with the their ATM video, what good would that do, would you be conducting the investigation? That's the job of the police, not the victim.

Can you provide a link to where a Thai Bank has reimbursed a customer when their card was skimmed? I've read about plenty of people who haven't been "lucky" I guess, none that have. When doing a search on the topic I noted Siam Commercial says they do, yet I've never heard of anyone being reimbursed. Bangkok Bank only gives "tips" on using an ATM and that they now have a chipped card that most likely won't work in most of their very old ATM machines.

I would like like to see a link too. I remember my ex Thai never got refunded for 30,000 baht that just disappeared from her bank account. My current gf confirmed the same... Basically tough luck. I'd like to hear from TV posters.

Me tooooo.

I recently had a pre-paid debt gift card hacked (US) it took me 6 months to get my $250 back. My only question is how they can hack the card I had not even used yet? VISA thinks they pre skimmed the gift cards. It had been purchased at a grocery store... Finding the balance was easy, its available online, you just need the card number and the three digit code... So now I spend any gift card ASAP...

At least Juan Pablo has a little remorse in his eyes (more likely is 'Oh $ h it we're busted') the other two look like they would slit your throat for a dollar and not bat an eyelid doing it, cool bit of pointing though, 9 out of 10 Guys!