How is this (latency) even possible?

crabdog

Using the TRUE speed test http://speedtest.trueinternet.co.th/ to the Singapore server these are my results on ToT Fiber2U (20 down / 7 up).

Last Result:
Download Speed: 7966 kbps (995.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1010 kbps (126.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 327 ms
Jitter: 1 ms
11/2/2015, 8:13:14 PM

On the ToT local speed test http://speedtest1.totbb.net/ I'm getting maximum speeds...

Here are the results from the TRUE speed test using TRUE adsl:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 13104 kbps (1638 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1066 kbps (133.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 50 ms
Jitter: 1 ms
11/2/2015, 8:32:42 PM

How is 327 ms to Singapore even possible with ToT? Until the funny business started about 1 month ago (single gateway?) ToT was very good for pings/latency but now it's absolutely rubbish. Funny thing is that most things work pretty great ie: youtube, torrents, downloads etc. but online gaming is impossible now. Anyone else using ToT care to share their results from the TRUE speed test?

Download Speed: 33198 kbps (4149.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 8989 kbps (1123.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 62 ms
Jitter: 2 ms

bit slow as i got 50mb but still not too bad

Im on 3bb and when I download I get the full 50mb

This is on the singapore server as you requested.

Edited by robblok

Thanks robblok, that is interesting. I'm mainly interested in seeing the latency at this point and it seems that my adsl is the best of the 3 so far. I'll continue to see what happens in this thread before I call ToT regarding the issue because last time I contacted them about it they wanted to send a 'technician' around, even though there's obviously nothing wrong with my bandwidth.

I ran it just now and the results are consistent with my history logged on the site my download is a bit slow but that is due to not bothering to stop other traffic first.

My results are from http://speedtest.net

DOWNLOAD 1184.9kB/s UPLOAD 427.4kB/s PING 12 ms TRUE INTERNET SERVER BANGKOK

DOWNLOAD 1170.4kB/s UPLOAD 404.3kB/s PING 37 ms TRUE INTERNET SERVER SINGAPORE

Using Link of from OP:

Download Speed: 9436 kbps Upload Speed: 3175 kbps Latency: 8 ms Jitter: 1 ms THAILAND
Download Speed: 9114 kbps Upload Speed: 3283 kbps Latency: 36 ms Jitter: 4 ms SINGAPORE
Edited by jcisco

Latency is just not the speed of the signal through the transmission medium such as fiber optics or copper, but also the time it takes the signal to get through the electronics in the network such as relay servers, encoders/decoders, amps, switches, etc. If the electronics get bogged down for some reason it can really increase ping time. Your "local area" network electronics could be the problem.

Using the OP's True speedtest link a few minutes ago on this Tuesday morning, here's what I got...a 36ms ping time to Singapore and 10ms to Bangkok. I'm on a True DOCSIS 15Mb/1.5Mb plan here in Bangkok.

Bangkok to Singapore

Last Result:
Download Speed: 21630 kbps (2703.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1636 kbps (204.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 36 ms
Jitter: 3 ms
11/3/2015, 10:34:50 AM

Bangkok to Bangkok

Last Result:

Download Speed: 21327 kbps (2665.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1713 kbps (214.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 10 ms
Jitter: 4 ms
11/3/2015, 10:40:08 AM

Edited by Pib

ISP's speed tests might be rigged....

Better to use an independent tool like OOKLA.

~30 ms to Singapore??? LOL - most members will need that already to connect to a BKK server, eg. from Pattaya.

>300 ms for non-business use to BKK is quite probable...

Statistical average ping time BKK-Singapore 35.55ms

Here is a table of average ping times from Bangkok to other cities - https://wondernetwork.com/pings/Bangkok

My university computer in Chiang Mai to Singapore:

post-566-0-03021000-1446529839_thumb.jpg

I recently swapped from 3BB to TOT Fiber Optic because they are the only company to offer FO here. It was great for 2 weeks, now it won't open some foreign sites and some links from my trading sites. I tried everything including allowing the websites' technicians into my computers (2). They all concluded it was TOT fault although speed tests are good. I contacted TOT. They said there was a problem with undersea cables which they were trying to repair !!!!! I believe that they mean, 'we only bought small bandwidth form other countries to save money !!!!

Thanks robblok, that is interesting. I'm mainly interested in seeing the latency at this point and it seems that my adsl is the best of the 3 so far. I'll continue to see what happens in this thread before I call ToT regarding the issue because last time I contacted them about it they wanted to send a 'technician' around, even though there's obviously nothing wrong with my bandwidth.

I recently swapped from 3BB to TOT Fiber Optic because they are the only company to offer FO here. It was great for 2 weeks, now it won't open some foreign sites and some links from my trading sites. I tried everything including allowing the websites' technicians into my computers (2). They all concluded it was TOT fault although speed tests are good. I contacted TOT. They said there was a problem with undersea cables which they were trying to repair !!!!! I believe that they mean, 'we only bought small bandwidth form other countries to save money !!!!

So have you done a tracert and looked at which hop is the most expensive at all? Also you might want to depending on the modem you are using, login to the CLI and generate the the diagnostic data which is generally the least typing needed for obtaining the lines actual performance at the physical level.

File transfers and pings don't help you much. So fire up a command windows on one of your hosts and do a path ping to say trueinternet.co.th and starhub.com.sg

This should indicate roughly where the latency is in the route. Post the results, remove your IP address too if your so inclined, not your local host your public if present.

I do not know about "ping" and other words,but what I do know,is that for the about 5 latest weaks,my TOT connection got from bad to worse,almost every day! It used to come on in the morning and go on till late evening.Slow,but still on.Now it starts about noon and closes around 7 in the evening.Very slow mostly! Want to add,that before everything was ok,24 hours/day. Whoever I ask at TOT offices either don`t know of any problem (!) or have no explanation;everything very secret it seems...One person working for them said,that they are waiting for " a new machine" to be installed in Chayaphum. I live 130 km from that city. Can anybody tell what is actually going on?!

Thanks for the replies so far.

It seems that everyone except Pib and Tywais are experiencing higher than normal pings to Singapore but ToT is ridiculously over. I used to consistently ping 140-160 ms on Australian servers (monitoring several times a day EVERY day) but now both of my ISPs are over 200 ms. Will do more testing when I get home from work today using "tracert" and router diagnostics. It's interesting to note that the jump in pings happened at my home and my workplace (10km away) which both use TRUE on exactly the same day, which was the same day my ToT went to poopytown. I'm in Nonthaburi if it makes any difference.

Something even weirder to me. We have True 30mbps service. I just went to testmy.net and ran the combined test.

I got about 2mbps down and about 3mbps up. (Yuck!)

I then booted and connected my handy VPN app and connected to a server in Seoul.

I got 26.8mbps down and about 3mbps up. (Hmmmm)

My pings to Singapore average 290 to 300msec. Seoul 100 to 110msec.

Wait, what?

Michael

ISP's speed tests might be rigged....

Better to use an independent tool like OOKLA.

~30 ms to Singapore??? LOL - most members will need that already to connect to a BKK server, eg. from Pattaya.

>300 ms for non-business use to BKK is quite probable...

Statistical average ping time BKK-Singapore 35.55ms

Here is a table of average ping times from Bangkok to other cities - https://wondernetwork.com/pings/Bangkok

My university computer in Chiang Mai to Singapore:

attachicon.gifCM to Singapore.JPG

Plus True, TOT, CAT and most ISP speedtesters are OOKLA based testers...just like Speedtest.net is OOKLA based. Most speedtesters are OOKLA based and sometimes their ping and download results can be skewed/false because of local cache servers. If the ping time is skewed/false that's pretty easy to notice because the ping time to an international server will usually be the same as a nearby server. Ex: say you get a 15ms ping between Thailand and the US (obviously wrong since that's faster than the speed of light...should be in the 200 to 300ms ballpark)...and you get the same 15ms ping time when testing like say from Bangkok to Bangkok....that OOKLA tester has just been fooled by local cache servers. Java-based testers are much less inclined to be fooled.

And when using "whatever" speedtester, OOKLA or Java based, and testing to the same city like Singapore a person can get radically different ping & speed results "because of the server you are testing to has issues/is slow/has low capacity/etc" and has nothing to do with your in-Thailand/local network.

For example just a few minutes ago I used Speedtest.net (OOKLA based) and not the True, CAT, or TOT speedtesters which are also the OOKLA based. I'm in Bangkok on a True 15Mb/1.5Mb DOCSIS/cable plan. The only thing I did different in the two tests was to pick a different server in Singapore to test to...and I got radically different results...one gave me a 218ms ping time and one gave me a 40ms ping time. Why the major differences between the two since I'm checking from Bangkok to Singapore in both tests? Because one of the servers on the Singapore end was apparently under-capacity/blogged down/just had a network issue in their Singapore local area. I've even seen the same thing happen (major ping/download speed differences) when testing from Bangkok to Bangkok using different servers.

See below for the results in testing from Bangkok to Singapore using two different servers in Singapore.

Singapore Server Hosted by PT XL Axiata

post-55970-0-98387600-1446536435_thumb.j

Singapore Server Hosted by SoftLayer Tech

post-55970-0-03137700-1446536484_thumb.j

TOT ADSL (Phuket) 10Mb/512Kb, using SpeedTest.net:
Trang, Thailand Server
Ping: 87ms
Down: 4.15Mb
Up: 430Kb
Kuala Perlis, Malaysia Server
Ping: 381ms
Down: 2.11Mb
Up: 200Kb
Ping: 408ms
Down: 1.39Mb
Up: 290Kb

TOT ADSL (Phuket) 10Mb/512Kb, using SpeedTest.net:
Trang, Thailand Server

Ping: 87ms

Down: 4.15Mb

Up: 430Kb

Ping: 381ms

Down: 2.11Mb

Up: 200Kb

Ping: 408ms

Down: 1.39Mb

Up: 290Kb​

Just for comparison to the same three Speedtest.net servers used above, which included two different servers in Kuala Perlis. I'm in Bangkok on a True 15Mb/1.5Mb DOCSIS/cable plan. Some big differences in ping time between my True plan and DrDave's TOT plan.

Bangkok to Trang

post-55970-0-99430300-1446540805_thumb.j

Bangkok to Kuala Perlis (1 of 2 servers)

post-55970-0-90803600-1446540828_thumb.j

Bangkok to Kuala Perlis (2 of 2 servers)

post-55970-0-71791800-1446540850_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

You get more latency since the request is now going through several more checks (the GREAT firewall purchased from China)

Glad to hear that i am not the only one that have seen changes in the last month, and without too much conspiracy in mind i am thinking that is when they started to work on the single gateway....

the last week i have also been getting a lot of errors when loading web pages, "the page was reset while loading" errors, typically one get those kinds of error when someone have messed up configuration of proxy or firewalls....

so yes, they have started to work on their project...... project doomsday......

I don't give a ... on these ISP provided tests.

And not better when you use them from another ISPs network.

What I can tell you, the following three addresses are garantueed to be in Singapore (Cyberghost VPN):

119.81.84.251, 119.81.84.252, 119.81.84.253

When I do a ping from my ToT connection in upcountry I get a mean value for roundtrip of 65 ms.

Nothing unusal.

I don't give a ... on these ISP provided tests.

And not better when you use them from another ISPs network.

What I can tell you, the following three addresses are garantueed to be in Singapore (Cyberghost VPN):

119.81.84.251, 119.81.84.252, 119.81.84.253

When I do a ping from my ToT connection in upcountry I get a mean value for roundtrip of 65 ms.

Nothing unusal.

I don't give a lot of credit to these speed test sites either. I used them simply because it is easy to demonstrate latency for the use of forum discussion. If I want to do a speedtest I use testmy.net but that was irrelevant in this case because their test does not show latency / ping values.

65 ms may not seem unusual to you but I can guarantee from years of experience, mostly to do with online gaming that it is 20-30 ms higher than was normal in the past. The easiest way for me to check latency is simply to browse game servers on the Steam platform

yPN5Jdp.png

Edited by crabdog