any good advice to fix insomnia?

maxme

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insomnia is to every person individual. I've suffered for years and investigated and tried many supposed solutions ranging from sleeping pills to months of hard core yoga in india . I say its individual i use wax ear plugs eye mask and TOTALLY darkened bedroom with a good book to help me on the way. However listening to all fellow insomniacs the common denominator is ' i lie in bed and my mind just wanders and won't rest and sleep becomes hard/ impossible to find'. It took me years to realise

This is to a focus issue. all the things i use helps me but ultimately i transfer the skill , and trust me its not an easy one to learn that meditation teaches you ie calm the mind and keep it focused

This ain't a short term fix but from my experience it REALLY helps and or works.

This book keeps learning simple

http://www.amazon.com.br/gp/aw/s?index=blended&keywords=teach%20yourself%20to%20meditate%20eric%20harrison%20pdf&tag=lpo_ixdpgoukbrptbook-20

Glasgow established a big research centre and they discovered some interesting things. 1) Caffeine as a cause is a myth in most cases. 2) People with high levels of self-esteem sleep like a log, and drop-off easily.

Depression and anxiety are the main causes. I had six months of hell when various idiots were f******g me about and letting me down. I can sleep now, but it isn't that great. Basically if you're the kind of person who can stay awake if you have to then you're also the kind of person who might have insomnia problems. Coming back to UK from Thailand I stayed awake from Tuesday morning to Friday night, and I was still making sense at the end of it. I didn't even feel that tired, although I was starting to hallucinate. Everybody I know who can do that struggles to sleep some of the time.

But depression's the major cause of insomnia. There's also a lot of recent thought being given to whether suffering like a dog through depression - un-medicated - is what allows your brain to rewire, so that you "return to the world with a new view of it and your place in it".

As for going over things in your head when you're trying to sleep, what you need to do it 1) tell yourself, "Now is not the time" and 2) bore yourself so that you drop off without realising it. I actually use "Now is not the time, now is not the time, now is not the time...." - if you force your brain to rehearse that endlessly you can't think about all the other nonsense that'll keep you awake.

You might also want to pinch the book below from some file-sharing site in the Ukrainesmile.png

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Promise-Sleep-Connection-Happiness/dp/0440509017

Edited by Craig krup

Glasgow established a big research centre and they discovered some interesting things. 1) Caffeine as a cause is a myth in most cases. 2) People with high levels of self-esteem sleep like a log, and drop-off easily.

Depression and anxiety are the main causes. I had six months of hell when various idiots were f******g me about and letting me down. I can sleep now, but it isn't that great. Basically if you're the kind of person who can stay awake if you have to then you're also the kind of person who might have insomnia problems. Coming back to UK from Thailand I stayed awake from Tuesday morning to Friday night, and I was still making sense at the end of it. I didn't even feel that tired, although I was starting to hallucinate. Everybody I know who can do that struggles to sleep some of the time.

But depression's the major cause of insomnia. There's also a lot of recent thought being given to whether suffering like a dog through depression - un-medicated - is what allows your brain to rewire, so that you "return to the world with a new view of it and your place in it".

As for going over things in your head when you're trying to sleep, what you need to do it 1) tell yourself, "Now is not the time" and 2) bore yourself so that you drop off without realising it. I actually use "Now is not the time, now is not the time, now is not the time...." - if you force your brain to rehearse that endlessly you can't think about all the other nonsense that'll keep you awake.

You might also want to pinch the book below from some file-sharing site in the Ukrainesmile.png

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Promise-Sleep-Connection-Happiness/dp/0440509017

Caffeine makes that last little bit you described a touch more difficult

And What you described in that last sentence very loosely is a 'meditation', calming the mind, and keeping it focused.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would LOVE that to be true about coffee. Am trying to quit now due to sleep disorder and I really miss it.

Got a link to the study?

I would LOVE that to be true about coffee. Am trying to quit now due to sleep disorder and I really miss it.

Got a link to the study?

They are probaly right. AS a sole cause It probably isnt but as a contributer they are wrong. Its a stimuli and mismanaged it wont help. I enjoy coffee and drink up 2 four shots a day but never after 2pm that works for me. But I do go through periods I go without and then sleep feels easier to come by and imo seems deeper and more fullfilling.

Got a link to the study?

It was in the Glasgow Herald (I think), quite soon after they opened the research centre, and they were looking for volunteers. But (IIRC) they were saying was that the cohort who can drop off and sleep like a log aren't affected by caffeine, and so the cause of insomnia isn't caffeine (or it's very unlikely to be). High self-esteem is the cause of "no insomnia", but if you do have insomnia anything that makes you alert isn't going to help. But the solution isn't just ditching caffeine - because the group who are physiologically identical (as far as we can tell) - don't have a problem with it. The solution is self-love. If you think you're brilliant you sleep like a log, on trains, in packed classrooms, in meetings at work. And that makes a certain kind of intuitive sense. The people who can sleep easily are - I think - commonly characterized by amour propre, or a sense of entitlement.

Very dificult. In fact almost impossible to genaralise. From my own expirience there is no one direct cause wouldnt t hat b great and relatively easy to sort. if there were! Imo its like a personal jigsaw and u find a way to put various bits Ie tools 2gether to suit.

Edited by rijit

Oh the ONLY guy person iVEheard t hat talked total sence was a guy who sold pods for footballers to sleep in between training sessions.. He seemed to have it nailed. Been meaning to google him but tbh he aint telling me anything I aint found out the hard way in the last 20. Years of managing it.

• 2 weeks later...

xanax works too

For occasional use only otherwise you can get hooked on it.

Yes of course use responsibly,

I have some in the cabinet for occasional use too, NO LIQUOR of course...

No hangover use like with Valium for me anyways.

Xanax is widely available Here in Phuket 300 thb for 10 tablets....

Works great for me Sometimes good for airplanes too

1/2 A tab is enough most of the time for me...

Just my simple suggestions...

Give it a try. Wouldn't hurt even a baby!