any good advice to fix insomnia?

maxme

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melatonin works for many people, but not all. Worth a try? Take it 30 minutes before you want to go to sleep. Search this forum section for melatonin and you'll find more info.

Melatonin does work great...but last time I checked it too was a controlled substance...only distributed at hospitals...

Tough to comment w/o knowing your lifestyle and habits - but there are more than enough remedies. Do you sleep during the day? Drink Coffee or soda or tea after noon… Do you have life problems that you obsess over… is this something new for you?

Best is to go to bed late enough that you are tired and maybe try meditation or just relaxing before you try meds…

Melatonin works for many people, but not all. Worth a try? Take it 30 minutes before you want to go to sleep. Search this forum section for melatonin and you'll find more info.

Melatonin does work great...but last time I checked it too was a controlled substance...only distributed at hospitals...

You can buy Melatonin at any pharmacy in Thailand. Boots has 2 kinds, one is the normal stuff and another is time released. I find the former more effective but it varies from one person to another. For example, I find it does get me to sleep and keep me asleep, but it gives me a real hangover-like feeling the next day. I've heard of other people that get this but not many, I'm just unlucky. I have a friend who started taking it 6 months ago and it has changed his life, as prior to that the guy operated on virtually no sleep at all and constantly felt terrible. There's also quite a lot of reports that Melatonin also has other beneficial effects, not related to sleep.

Do Muay Thai or go to the Gym and try to get as much exercise as possible.

Also try some herbs, e.g. St Peter's wort helps a lot.

Saint Peter's wort? He's trying to get some sleep, not die and be admitted to heaven...

I think you meant St. John's wort...

No food or beverage after 6pm especially caffeine or alcohol

Go to bed same time every night, get up same time every day

Total darkness total quiet

No electronics before bedtime, tv, kindle, iPad etc. reading an actual book is recommended

Excercise daily

No naps during the day

If cannot sleep, do not fight it, do not use electronics, lay quietly and meditate

You may violate the electronics rule to listen to guided meditation but keep your eyes closed

Been there, this can help you

Good luck

I suffered from insomnia all my life, until about 10 years ago when I tried Olive Leaf Extract in liquid form to treat psoriasis.

I noticed after the first couple of weeks that I was taking it that I had been sleeping well. It really does work and there were no side effects that I know of. It is also available in tablet form.

It does not not make you tired or drowsy but when you go to bed you just sleep all night without waking and you feel great in the morning.

I told the lady in the health food store where I bought it and she said other people had said the same thing so it was not just me.

Not sure if you can buy it in Thailand but it is readily available in Australia so you should be able to get it online.

Also the obvious advice, don't drink coffee after 6.00 pm, or alcohol, don't eat heavy food etc.

Try expanding foam earplugs you can buy from any drug store. You roll/squeeze them and put them in each ear when you go to bed. It's worth a try even if there is no apparent noise keeping you awake.

When you close your eyes, it is like sensory deprivation. You can't hear or see anything and your mind, deprived of external senses, relaxes and drifts off.

It's embarrassing to see such a disgusting reply to a serious question. You should be ashamed of yourself.

do what I do ......... drink as much piss as you can from morning until night burp.gif never any problem sleeping.

I've had 2 1/2 bottles and it's only 10.30am

I have suffered serious insomnia since I was a little kid. I have battled with it my entire life.

1) This forum is a good way to hear about what other people are doing, but definitely don't take advice seriously here! That probably doesn't need to be said, but just in case!

2) I think drugs like xanax and ambien are fine for the short-term, but they are truly for occasional usage, and are only a quick, temporary solution

3) Another poster recommended hypnosis. I thought self-hypnosis was stupid, but I'll try anything. I first tried it in my mid 30s. It didn't work at first, but I was persistent, even though I didn't believe in it. After 3 months, I started going under. That really helped me alot.

4) Drinking doesn't work for me, but it does for some people. If you are going to bed drunk in order to fall asleep, then you're drinking way too much and need to find another solution

5) dephenhydramine is a non-addictive sleep aid. It's the active chemical in Benadryl. It's an antihistamine, as you may already know. 2 x 25 mg works well. It takes about an hour to feel sleepy.

6) Definitely, definitely exercise regularly. That will have a big impact on sleep

7) I have never enjoyed meditation, but I keep wanting to give it another try. I think that may really be the best way?

8) I think valerian root and melatonin are useless, but if they work for you, then definitely stick with them because they are non-habit forming and don't appear to have any undesirable adverse effects

Edited by Sheryl
illegal item removed by moderator

You MAY have clinical depression. If you can't sleep because your mind is going around and around on a single topic that has stressed you previously, I'd suggest medical intervention is required to break the cycle.

It's embarrassing to see such a disgusting reply to a serious question. You should be ashamed of yourself.

do what I do ......... drink as much piss as you can from morning until night burp.gif never any problem sleeping.

why are you embarrassed ? I commented how I avoid insomnia ..........

please don't tell me you don't drink ..........

Edited by steven100

Do you really want the OP to end up with a problem like yours?

To be honest, I don't really believe your post although it is common out here in Thailand.

Never saw an alcoholic who hadn't sleep disorders.

I usually pass out around 9.00pm if I don't fall over something and injure myself.

Pull the other one.

Do you know the difference between a (disgusting) comment and (constructive) advice? You might as well "comment" that suicide is a cure for insomnia.

And no, I don't drink. Not proud of it, just don't like the taste. But if you're not embarrased by your "comment", you may be drinking too much. A lack of self-control and empathy is a common trait among those who drink too much.

why are you embarrassed ? I commented how I avoid insomnia ..........

please don't tell me you don't drink ..........

Never saw an alcoholic who hadn't sleep disorders.

I usually pass out around 9.00pm if I don't fall over something and injure myself.

Pull the other one.

it's true ..... three nights ago I tripped over a small stool in my room and twisted my wrist in saving my body from the fall, I have it bandaged and it was painful. But the beer numbed some of the pain .........

A friend of mine swears by this: It's called the 4-7-8 breathing technique - I myself have no problems falling asleep. I can put my head on a rock and I will fall asleep. Probably because I only sleep maximum 6 hours a night after a full day.

Weil’s technique is shockingly simple, takes hardly any time, and can be done anywhere in five steps. Although you can do the exercise in any position, it’s recommended to sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Weil explains to “place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.” This is followed by the five-step procedure listed below:

1. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.

2. Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.

3. Hold your breath for a count of seven.

4. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.

5. This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.

Please let me know if you decide to give this a try and let me know if it worked for you.

Thanks

smile.png

xanax works too

Stay away from Xanax, diazapam, and other benzodiazapines. Thai doctors will hand them out like candy, and they will work until they stop working, and you'll compensate by increasing the dose, until finally they just don't work: congratulations, you've reached tolerance. Then you have to withdraw. Read the Ashton Manual before ever taking a 'tranquiler'.

Alcohol will put you to sleep but will mess with your sleep cycles.

I hate to say this, but you just learn to live with it. Exercise your buns off, and then pick a specific time each day to get up. If you get up at 8am each morning, you body will sync to 8am for wake up. Some nights you might get 8 hours of sleep, some nights you may get 5, or 3 or 2 or none. You still get up at 8am. The following night you'll fall asleep.

Melatonin might work for you. Order it from iHerb.com. The prices in Thailand are high if you can find it at all.