any good advice to fix insomnia?

maxme

A friend of mine swears by this: It's called the 4-7-8 breathing technique - I myself have no problems falling asleep. I can put my head on a rock and I will fall asleep. Probably because I only sleep maximum 6 hours a night after a full day.

Weil’s technique is shockingly simple, takes hardly any time, and can be done anywhere in five steps. Although you can do the exercise in any position, it’s recommended to sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Weil explains to “place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.” This is followed by the five-step procedure listed below:

1. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.

2. Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.

3. Hold your breath for a count of seven.

4. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.

5. This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.

Please let me know if you decide to give this a try and let me know if it worked for you.

Thanks

smile.png

Just tried that and Im ready for crashing. But Im at work.tongue.png

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. AVOID caffeine. Maximum 1 cup first thing in the morning, no more. Absolutely none (including chocolate, colas as well as coffee/tea) past noon). The tendency is to get into a vicious cycle of too little sleep --> tired --> caffeine ---> can't sleep etc

2. You can try melatonin, works well for many people. It is important to go to bed as soon as the sleepiness from it takes effect, if you don't it may pass.

3. Exercise as others have said.

4. If it still persists need to look for cause. Usually if not due to caffeine, it is due to anxiety.

5. Valerian and tryptophan also help some people, as does chamolile tea or celestial seasoning's "sleepy time tea" which contains it.

6. If you drink, cut down. People think alcohol helps them sleep but actually in the long run it hinders normal sleep.

7. Try to go to bed at the same time every night. Read until you feel sleepy.

Do not take any sort of benzo (xanax, valium etc). They are highly addictive. They will also stop working after a while. If you must take something, take atarax or other antihistamine but do not do this every single night, just once in a while and don't mix with alcohol. If atarax dose can be anywhere from 25 -75 mg, start with 25 first and see how you do. And as mentioned, only occasionally. While not addictive, it too will stop working if used regularly, and safety of long term use at sleep dosage has not been established.

Your mileage with Atarax and other antihistamines may vary. 25mg of Atarax might put me to sleep, but then I feel like a slug for the rest of the next day. Atarax can be effective, but I suggest starting at 10mg and work your way up. But no drug you take is a long term answer. At some point, you just have to accept it.

Regarding reading: If I read, I read a book and not the computer; the bright light may mess with your sleep response. So I tend to listen to Internet 'radio' shows that I subscribe to (and pay for). I just listen: no visual, no bright light. Often the sound will blur and off to sleep I go within 30 to 60 minutes. I'll roll back the MP3 file and pick up where I nodded off the previous night.

A friend of mine swears by this: It's called the 4-7-8 breathing technique - I myself have no problems falling asleep. I can put my head on a rock and I will fall asleep. Probably because I only sleep maximum 6 hours a night after a full day.

Weil’s technique is shockingly simple, takes hardly any time, and can be done anywhere in five steps. Although you can do the exercise in any position, it’s recommended to sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Weil explains to “place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.” This is followed by the five-step procedure listed below:

2. Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.

4. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.

5. This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.

Please let me know if you decide to give this a try and let me know if it worked for you.

Thanks

smile.png

LOL cheesy.gif - good. Glad it's working for someone other than my friend tongue.png

how do you mean? xanax is by far the more dangerous

You can obtain Xanax from a licensed doctor. But when I hear "Xanax is dangerous" being parroted by someone, basically I know that that person really doesn't know what they are talking about. I'm speaking from experience having used various types of benzos for insomnia, all legally prescribed by doctors. Xanax is just a type/class of benzodiazapine. Back to the Ashton Manual. It's been hyped in the Thai press to be akin to Rohypnol, another class of benzodiazapine, but they are different, and it is hype. That's why you need to educate yourself. Like I previously said, Thai doctors will cut you a script for these without any discussion of the effects, side-effect, contraindications, and the fact that if used longer than a couple of weeks is going to set in motion a change in your brain chemistry, and that change will manifest itself as withdrawal when you stop taking them. And benzo 'withdrawal' is a set of symptoms that may or may not manifest with a specific individual.

Don't take anybody's word for what benzos are or are not, don't even believe me without doing your own research and homework. In fact, I advise that for any drug your doctor gives you, especially if they don't take the time to explain, in detail, what that drugs does (effects, side-effect, contraindications). My suggestion is simple: don't start. I'm not going to hype that they are dangerous: they are what they are, and there effects are highly variable from person to person. If you do choose to take them, legally, I suggest you understand the 'rabbit hole' you're going to go down.

Too bad they don't prescribe THC based sleep products. They work and there is no withdrawal. But like any drugs, THC has effects, side-effect, and contraindications, especially if used long-term. And it's not legal here and can land you in jail. Don't do it.

Drug free is the best way to go, but it takes acceptance.

Edited by connda
deleted quotes removed

I take Mirtazapine, half a 15mg tablet 1/2 hour before bed.

Not addictive and works a treat.

I try not to use every night but doctor said no harm in doing so.

All the best.

Mirtazapine is a major Anti-psychotic medication which should NOT be used as a "sleeping" aid.

The medication has a number of potentially serious side effects including the possibility of inducing suicidal ideation in younger people.

Melatonin works for many people, but not all. Worth a try? Take it 30 minutes before you want to go to sleep. Search this forum section for melatonin and you'll find more info.

Melatonin does work great...but last time I checked it too was a controlled substance...only distributed at hospitals...

It's not controlled. If you believe it is, what specifically is your source of information?

It's available in Thai pharmacies, but it's expensive if you can find it. In the West, pennies per pill.

Alcohol in moderation is fine as a sleep assist.... but in excess it can wipe you out, and then you wake-up as the comatose wears off in the early hours, and it can often be difficult to get back to sleep again..

I usually read for a while - but if the book is too good I just can't put it down until the wee small hours, and then invariable wake up an hour or so later and carry-on with it..

Milk/chocolate drinks can help (I mix malt/chocolate ovaltine 50/50) as a bedtime drink; as other have said avoid caffeine from mid afternoon, and large meals after about 6pm.. a light late night snack can help if like me, feeling hungry keeps you awake.

I get a reasonable amount of exercise most days - walk or cycle for 1-2hours mornings, and swim (in the sea) for 30-40 minutes afternoons.

But I still find I cannot sleep properly - and often wake in the early hours.

But wake the gf with a smile, and 30 minutes later I'm sleeping like a baby..

Steven100. I still don't believe you.

so you don't believe I drink ....

I believe you probably do drink, there are very, very few guys like me.

Steven enjoys being a troll, right Steven? Any real constructive advice?

Waiting for a like...

One strategy you can try is, when you find yourself in bed wide awake, there is not much point trying to lie there and fight it, it just makes it worse. Get up and make a cup of something, tea or rose hip tea whatever is your preference, then read a bit then 'go to bed' again. This seems a bit over simple but it can help as it helps to re establish the routine (Like re setting your internal clock). I would not recommend medication without consulting a doctor.

There can be many reasons for insomnia and if you are really getting desperate you may need a referral to a sleep clinic - and sorry I do not know of one in Thailand but I am sure your doctor will know.

Best of luck

One interesting book I read last year was Tim Ferriss' "4 hour body".

He had never been the best of sleepers and his book details some ideas.

The best - certainly in my case - was cold baths or showers.

I quote.

The icebath is simple: 2-3 bags of ice from a convenience store ($3-6 USD) put into a half-full bath until the ice is about 80% melted. Beginners should start with immersing the lower body only and progress to spending the second five minutes with the upper torso submerged (fold your legs Indian-style at the end of the tub if you don’t have room).

The result: it’s like getting hit with an elephant tranquilizer. Don’t expect it to be pleasant at first.

But you don't HAVE to go the whole hog at first just try as a cold shower as you can for 10 mins just before bed.

See how you get on.

And the other essential is no internet within 2 hours of bed - you absolutely want to switch your brain cells off.

Edited by Eggerlegger

I quote.

The icebath is simple: 2-3 bags of ice from a convenience store ($3-6 USD) put into a half-full bath until the ice is about 80% melted. Beginners should start with immersing the lower body only and progress to spending the second five minutes with the upper torso submerged (fold your legs Indian-style at the end of the tub if you don’t have room).

The result: it’s like getting hit with an elephant tranquilizer. Don’t expect it to be pleasant at first.

But you don't HAVE to go the whole hog at first just try as a cold shower as you can for 10 mins just before bed.

See how you get on.

And the other essential is no internet within 2 hours of bed - you absolutely want to switch your brain cells off.

I find TVF seems to do this to many posters.

Sleep??. You can have all you want when you are dead!!!?

But on a serious note...try not eating any food after about 3 pm.....food signal your body that it should be in the wake-up mode.....stay off the piss and try to do some Buddhist chants....works wonders.....and put the mind at ease....???

Sure fire cure for insomnia.

1) No caffeine after about 2pm(2am if you work nights).

2) Dark, cold room.

3) Sex just before you want to sleep.

l would have thought that #3 would be obvious.

lt works even better if you've been working nightshift & you have the glare shut out.

Always works for me on the rare occasions that l can't sleep.

Cheers.

1. Listen to a doco or book on your iPad or similar but no screen, just audio, while you are in bed. You start to forget that insomnia is an issue.

2.i go to bed later if I haven't been sleeping as I find trying to get an early night just makes things worse.

3. I try to get my body temp down lower as I find that if I feel hot I can't sleep.

4. As much exercise as possible.

5. Alcohol makes me worse unless I get as rotten as a chop, so no booze or a skin full if you must.

OK ... first off, people who have trouble going to sleep are more likely highly intelligent (I don't argue the point; however) the method that works for me is

lie on your back, hands lightly clasped over your solar plexus ...

breathe in deeply to the count of 4

hold in for the count of 8

breathe out to the count of 6

wait to the count of 4 and repeat

Thanks

smile.png

I just tried it too and I swear it works ! But next time I will do it when I am not driving as I just ran 3 cars off the road. clap2.gif

This actually works well for me, Reverse your sleeping position, putting your head where your feet usually go, and vice versa.

p.s. My audio book reader has an auto pause if no activity is sensed. Makes finding where you left off much easier.

I have done that before, it does work....although I didn't remember going to bed, mind you. Lol

OK ... first off, people who have trouble going to sleep are more likely highly intelligent (I don't argue the point; however) the method that works for me is

lie on your back, hands lightly clasped over your solar plexus ...

breathe in deeply to the count of 4

hold in for the count of 8

breathe out to the count of 6

wait to the count of 4 and repeat

Tried tha...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

I quote.

See how you get on.

A cold shower before bed? What a good idea! Your body normally drops in temperature prior to sleep, so the cool or cold shower would get your body at a better temperature to induce sleep.

I'm going to try that - tonight!

Regarding Ice Baths. Wim Hof documents the health benefits of doing this. I think I'll start with cool showers first... Lol.

http://www.wimhofmethod.com

Edited by connda