Real footage of pedestrian accidents aims to change Thai driving behavior

webfact

Real footage of pedestrian accidents aims to change Thai driving behavior (VIDEO)
By Coconuts Bangkok

screen_shot_2015-11-05_at_14.31.55_copy.

This is what happens when you use a crosswalk in Thailand.

BANGKOK: -- A compilation video of pedestrians getting hit at a crosswalk is being used to send a powerful message to motorists to simply follow the law -- by stopping their vehicles when they should.

In the campaign, “Stop For Step”, by business students of Kasetsart University, a one-minute video shows just what happens when people attempt to safely use crosswalks in Thailand. The explicit clip compiles dashboard recordings of what could be you every time you try to get to the other side. The heart-stopping content appears tragic, but sadly, it is not uncommon.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/05/real-footage-pedestrian-accidents-aims-change-thai-driving-behavior-video-fb-look-left

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-11-05

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I applaud any effort to call attention to this atrocious problem.

Fully agree, but enforcement of this is less than nil (I say less than because I was almost run down by a police car on a Thong Lor crossing yesterday).

If drivers don't see the need to stop, or even slow down, for the elderly, children or even uniformed police officers using pedestrian crossings, with or without traffic lights, I take the view that they're not going to bother stopping for me. You're not a lot safer on the pavement.

My wife says the culture is "me first, nobody else matters", hard to disagree, but it's a strong message - maybe just maybe.

Found some it hard to watch - should be effective in getting discussions rolling. Many countries have activation switches on poles to light up flashing lights over the designated crossing zones when in use, tends to warn drivers earlier that a crosswalk is in use.

My son, mesmerized at the 'moses' effect these have on traffic said; "If we did this at home we'd be dead!"

He was 8 at the time and made the observation on day 2 of his first visit to UK.

Edited by evadgib

Thai drivers are the most discourteous in the world that I have found. Some are good but most have s*it for brains.

So what about the police ctually doing their job and getting to grips with this problem?

Edited by gandalf12

Powerful video but the message will be lost on a lot of people because you can't teach common sense, like the guy crossing the 1 way street looking completely the opposite way.

The truck at the end also. Where to start with analyzing that shambles. I seriously hope the campaign has some effect despite it seeming quite short of substance

Just show it at the commercial breaks during the Thai series and comedian programs. Repeat that for a year.

Also make the fine for not stopping at a zeba extreme high and in case of casualty's offer Bungumrad hospital on the drivers account.

But Thai even don't stop for a red light and love to drive against traffic as well. And the police? Oh well........whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Thai drivers are the most discourteous in the world that I have found. Some are good but most have s*it for brains.

So what about the police ctually doing their job and getting to grips with this problem?

I can't see that happening for a while. Yesterday i found myself in a culture-induced traffic jam in monsoon rain. Police elsewhere would think ahead (they only had a years notice!) and take appropriate measures to ensure traffic continued to flow while the monks were doing their 'hail marys' without bringing a business port to a standstill. When plod finally got their a*ses in gear traffic was diverted into a narrow side street which lead to a dead end 1km into the jungle!

Utter chaos for 90 mins and totally avoidable. My rear view mirror was 'backed up' like a rabbit warren when a hob ferret arrives wearing a bib :)

Edited by evadgib

I can't see that happening for a while. Yesterday i found myself in a culture-induced traffic jam in monsoon rain. Police elsewhere would think ahead (they only had a years notice!) and take appropriate measures to ensure that traffic continued to flow while the monks were doing their 'hail marys'. When plod finally got their a*ses in gear traffic was diverted into a narrow side street which lead to a dead end 1km into the jungle!

Utter chaos for 90 mins and totally avoidable.

I agree there isnt a chance of anything being done. Only yesterday I was nearly knocked over by a motor cycle on the pavement. Worst of it was that the driver was a policeman in uniform and on a police bike. If the police cant stick to the rules then Joe average isnt going to bother with them.

Edited by gandalf12

The problem is when you stop at a zebra crossing,some a/h behind

will crash in the back of you,as he would not be expecting you to stop.

They show it in the video you have to watch to get your driving license,

i suppose it all goes in one ear and out the other,as that is only one of

a multitude of rules of the road that are not adhered to,like don't overtake

on a bend,how many times have you seen that happen,the problem is that

Thais don't like rules and laws,they just want to do their own thing,never

mind that it could endanger,inconvenience,or is just plain stupid.

regards Worgeordie

Ignoring pedestrians using marked crossing is the basic rule unfortunately.

One of the worst spots I know is across Ramamhaeng Road just near the entrance to Soi 23. All clearly painted on the road surface poles with signs, overhead lighted pedestrian sign.

Attempt to start crossing and the traffic ignores you, drives around you or drivers blast their horn to tell you get out of the way and that includes cop cars and cops on morotcycles, taxis, buses, private cars and motorcycles. There are accidents again and again.

The police box just 20 metres away does nothing. A very dangerous crossing.

It's all very well blaming the drivers - and I agree that drivers in Thailand are amongst the worst in the world. But, a lot of the blame also goes to:

1. The police for never enforcing traffic laws

2. The metropolitan authority. Many crossings don't have any warning signs or traffic lights.

3. Idiotic pedestrians themselves, who simply don't bother to keep a lookout when they are crossing.

sad.png

In my homecountry they started using tv as a medium to teach us how to behave in traffic. They repeated it over and over again untill everybody got tired of it.

If we don't stop for a zebra and drive into a pedestrian we get very sever fines, even can go to jail or loose driverslicense forever.

I don't understand why the big General doesn't use the tv to teach the Thai some manners. What does he have to loose? Maybe it works, maybe not but it shouldn't cost much and if they use thai Supta's in those short films there's even a higher chance of success.

Thailand is in everything 30-50 years behind the developed world.

I applaud any effort to call attention to this atrocious problem.

Fully agree, but enforcement of this is less than nil (I say less than because I was almost run down by a police car on a Thong Lor crossing yesterday).

I too was almost hit while crossing at a crossing not that long ago. Happened right in front of a police officer who saw the entire thing. He did absolutely nothing. No stopping the driver and speaking with him, no penalty for failure to stop even though it's the law, absolutely nothing. I guess they only teach them to fine people for no helmets during police officer training, dead set more unless than dog shit.

Yesterday was no different. They now (after a year or more) have the lights working at the crossing near Bangla Road and Jungceylon (right next to the police box). Press the button, wait 15-20 sec the lights turn red for traffic and the little green light comes on to indicate to cross. Half way across the crossing and a car comes straight through the red light and nearly collects me. Again in front of police who do nothing.

Edited by Phuketboy